• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

But Working! kind of fails as a comedy anime, so I dont think its a good suggestion.

This does not affect in any way the goddessness of Yamada, so your point is moot.

I thought it was funny... although I do agree that if you're looking for straight comedy there are better picks.

I liked Working because I thought it was an amusing, relaxing anime. I guess Working would be an example of kuuki-kei. I don't know if it's really what the person is looking for, but it's very sitcom-esque.

So is this the thread where I could ask for anime recommendations? This may sound weird, but I was looking at Evangelion at the exchanges between Misato and Ritsuko thinking, "Yeah, I could watch a show like that." :p

Basically, after watching Nazo no Kanojo, I'm growing bored of High School anime. Sometimes, it seems like the only thing that's ever made. I'd like to see an anime that

1) doesn't take place in a High School
2) preferably centered around college age people and older
3) set in the present day (i.e. not feudal Japan or a robot/cyborg-heavy future)
4) has at least a little comedy in it.

I guess in a way an anime similar to many American sitcoms. lol.

Not many of these are similar to sitcoms, but they meet your four criteria and are certainly worth a look:

Kaiji
Kuuchuu Buranko/Trapeze
Master Keaton
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Only Yesterday
Paranoia Agent
Space Brothers
Tatami Galaxy
Tokyo Godfathers
Usagi Drop

I can't vouch for the following shows myself, but they seem to also meet your criteria and I have heard good things about them:

Bartender
Honey and Clover
Nana
Nodame Cantabile

cajunator

Banned
Haha, sounds like something that would be better to experience afterward. Sub it is, but I will definitely come back to the dub.

Also, this box is pretty, and it even comes with an episode commentary / art booklet. Neat.

Nozomi did a great job with packaging.
I've only ever watched Utena dubbed myself.
I first watched it like that and any subsequent times I have watched the show it has always been dub. I don't know what its like in Japanese actually.

Thoraxes

So is this the thread where I could ask for anime recommendations? This may sound weird, but I was looking at Evangelion at the exchanges between Misato and Ritsuko thinking, "Yeah, I could watch a show like that." :p

Basically, after watching Nazo no Kanojo, I'm growing bored of High School anime. Sometimes, it seems like the only thing that's ever made. I'd like to see an anime that

1) doesn't take place in a High School
2) preferably centered around college age people and older
3) set in the present day (i.e. not feudal Japan or a robot/cyborg-heavy future)
4) has at least a little comedy in it.

I guess in a way an anime similar to many American sitcoms. lol.

Honey and Clover.

And by a little humor, I really do mean there's like practically none.

Space Brothers 12:
A truly mesmerizing episode. I love psychological experiment types of stories, so seeing the setup for the third test has me really excited to see what's coming. We get to see a small group of characters interacting with another and showing their various skills, as well as dysfunction. Mutta and Furuya are already providing some great comedy. Mutta's reactions in the first half of the episode really show his character off in a great way. I love how unlike anyone else he is. We didn't get a ton of it, but I also liked the contrasts to how differently things are going in each of the three groups.

Serika was definitely the star of the episode. Between all of her stomach woes (which were so great), and the little flashbacks thrown in throughout the episode, it all fit so perfectly, and helps the viewer better understand her. I thought that
young Serika proudly declaring that her name has no meaning
was the perfect image for the episode to end on. This show just seems to be getting better as it goes on.

cajunator

Banned
How'd I get a tag? Oh right. Sacrificed my life. Shit....

I was first given the tag "Only watches Utena dubbed" when I admitted to it.
I didn't think it was that strange because it seemed like a normal dub to me.
Apparently its awful though so I just tell people its an awesome bad one.

Thoraxes

Utenites: dub or sub?

Sub.

jbw3dQCRe2a99M.jpg

Instro

Saint Seiya Omega 20

Wow, best ep of this show by a long shot. Total Umakoshi here, wonderful animation to go along with the quality art. I wonder who did the story boarding this week? A lot of well put together scenes throughout. Plus the writing and story being told this week were pretty interesting as well, which was a nice plus. A+ episode. There was even a little bit of blood too!

edit

Sahashi's music was killer this week btw, tracks worked really well with what was happening. Great composer.

Once again, thanks for the recommendations. I have a whole lot to check out now. :p

Not many of these are similar to sitcoms, but they meet your four criteria and are certainly worth a look:

Kuuchuu Buranko/Trapeze

I'm really liking this art style a lot. It reminds me of when I first saw Redline, which I watched for the art style alone. lol I really think it's the best looking anime, so I'm going to have to check this out.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hell no.
They left it in Japanese and translated it lol.

I see. For some reason I was hoping that the attempt was made, but I know that dubbing any sort of insert song is an incredibly rare occurrence. Just imagine if they'd tried to tackle the rock operas for each episode's duel, hahah. Those were probably hell to subtitle as it is.

Nafe

hosannainexcelsis is back! Please don't leave :(

I personally enjoy reading your posts. Waifu wars are fine but I also like it when someone looks at the more technical aspects of shows too.

I also don't know how BGBW is doing it with the avatar but that's pretty neat how it seems to come and go.

Does anyone remeber that post Jexhius made about Hyouka where he was talking about Mayaka reading her manga and the visuals showed light rays shooting out to show how enthralled and elated she was by it?

Well just after reading that post I though of the scene above in Nisemonogatari with Shinobu where it uses a similar visual representation to show her joy of donuts.

Yes, amongst other things.

I still find it kind of weird hearing Youko Hikasa doing the voice for her character and the personality she has. I'm more used to hearing her as characters like Mio or Seraphim from KoreZombie?

but talking about doujins. The Dusk Maiden x Steins;Gate doujin by Tex-Mex was an experience.

Interesting, what is it about? or is it just your standard hentai type material?

I really need to stop doing that but it really bothers me when someone thinks I'm guy >_>

Haha, this goes back to the post I made a little while ago about this topic.

Well, they've certainly got their priorities straight with the Nendoroid Akari accessories/faces.

http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/2012/08/20/nendoroid-akari-akaza/

A nendoroid with dead eyes?! Do you, or anyone reading, know off the top of their heads of any others that have that?

Good god.

I think the yelling is supposed to be a parody on how some Japanese commentators like Nuki yell when they commentate. Maybe? I can't even think straight after watching that.

Yeah, that could very well be it. Those were some neat comebacks in that video. I personally like both of Joshiraku's OP and ED but for those that already thought it made your ears bleed, well, they're going to love this version haha.

You and me, I think we're bros.
Yep, definitely bros.!

:) Liking the new avatar too! I love that Miku nendoroid that you linked to earlier too but for me, as much as I love nendoroids, I still find they're pretty expensive for what you're getting. Maybe it's just that I want so many of them though...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Have you watched DEARS?
You should watch that next.
Oh wow, I remember actually watching that.

I guess I used to actually watch and complete shows. I need some reflection time now; I have to correct my ways.

Nafe

So he's a true member of AnimeGAF?

Was wondering where you went. (You've probably been posting but this threads moves to fast to read everything)

Yeah, I've been spending more of my time reading the thread or actually watching Anime haha

I think my last post was back on page 311 or 312 and I didn't post all weekend really so my last post before that I think is on page 282.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom