• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Love-ru 17
antnH.png

I don't think fainting is something you want to happen...
It's summer, so of course they have to have ghosts stories, and since this is To Love-ru, of course they actually exist.
Haruna is cute when she's scared, and quite strong apparently.
And that last bit? No fucking clue man, no fucking clue.
RZaYg.png

They don't stand a ghost of a chance.

Branduil

So is this the thread where I could ask for anime recommendations? This may sound weird, but I was looking at Evangelion at the exchanges between Misato and Ritsuko thinking, "Yeah, I could watch a show like that." :p

Basically, after watching Nazo no Kanojo, I'm growing bored of High School anime. Sometimes, it seems like the only thing that's ever made. I'd like to see an anime that

1) doesn't take place in a High School
2) preferably centered around college age people and older
3) set in the present day (i.e. not feudal Japan or a robot/cyborg-heavy future)
4) has at least a little comedy in it.

I guess in a way an anime similar to many American sitcoms. lol.

Well, those criterion certainly eliminate most anime, but at least I can recommend:

Usagi Drop

The Tatami Galaxy

Paranoia Agent

Natsuyuki Rendezvous

There's more noitaminA shows that fit your request but I haven't watched all of them yet.

jbug617

Banned
So is this the thread where I could ask for anime recommendations? This may sound weird, but I was looking at Evangelion at the exchanges between Misato and Ritsuko thinking, "Yeah, I could watch a show like that." :p

Basically, after watching Nazo no Kanojo, I'm growing bored of High School anime. Sometimes, it seems like the only thing that's ever made. I'd like to see an anime that

3) set in the present day (i.e. not feudal Japan or a robot/cyborg-heavy future)

Arakawa Under The Bridge
Rec

Branduil

I see. For some reason I was hoping that the attempt was made, but I know that dubbing any sort of insert song is an incredibly rare occurrence. Just imagine if they'd tried to tackle the rock operas for each episode's duel, hahah. Those were probably hell to subtitle as it is.

Voices is dubbed in the dub of Macross Plus, but there are obvious plot-related reasons for that.

Jex

They're not the same at all really. The first season mixed traditional school style yuri antics with long stretches of mech action. The second season is inane talking between absurd political figures about increasingly convoluted matters that even the show can't seem to keep track of.

I don't want to say that I called it, but kind of nonsense seemed inevitable if that was the route that they were going to take for the second season. None of the space-plolitics in the first season was particularly coherent, believable or interesting so focusing on that seems like a terrible mistake.

Yuru Yuri 9:

Chinatsu > all

New characters this episode, Rise the inaudibly-voiced President who is the test subject for the science teacher who blows shit up!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Along with the other suggestions, Ristorante Paradiso is pretty much a light RomCom, so that fits the bill perfectly I think. Antique Bakery is fine too, and it actually makes gay jokes that are relevant to the characters/plot. Go figure.

Oh, I'll also say Yomigaeru Sora – Rescue Wings, because no one else will say it. lol

Dresden

Hyouka - 18

Went in expecting the worst, but I enjoyed it. The chemistry between Oreki and Chitanda works pretty well at this point, and it was reminiscent of episode seven (another episode I enjoyed) in that regard. The show just does better when all four of the club aren't present at once; they have room to breathe, to expand.

That said if this was a KEY property this is where a truck would swerve in and hit them both.

sleepykyo

Honey & Clo ~ beaten quite badly.

Uh, Nana then.

Jex

That's the whole point of an adaptation. You cut out the boring shit and animate the rest. Novel purists are the people you never listen to when adapting a work.

Well, actually, I assume that when you chose to make an adaptation the 'point' is to make a show that will already have a built-in potential (because they like the original) and to appeal to new fans (so that they can go buy the light novel/manga/visual novel/whatever). Or rather, this is the 'business' reason for making an adaptation. I imagine they don't want to risk pissing off the fans of the original stuff by cutting stuff out that they might like.

Now, creatively/artistically speaking I agree but it's not often that you see a studio chop and change a property to that degree.

Moreover, I'd hope that the point of doing an adaptation would be to make a good anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Glee Tari Tari 8

08Bq9l.jpg

It figures that they needed to explain this. lol

For the most part, other than not having the chance to have filler episodes that aren't tied to a character's backstory (and it looks like Badminton boy is going to get the short shrift), this show feels like the first season of Glee insomuch as I am able to accept its optimism and unlikely BS because I am enjoying the story on an emotional level.

Intellectually, I know that a lot of it is just silly and contrived. For one, when
the other four leave Sawa the song over her voice mail, it didn't cut them off and go to her voice mail even though just minutes earlier, we saw that you can only leave messages that are a few second long. Then there's the dad stuff and the horse riding ending.

Still, even though I am thinking about this stuff, I don't really care. They need to amp up the drama to have the feel good ending and it works. I only regret that they just don't have time to do filler episodes that are just the characters hanging out with each other as opposed to just supporting each other when they have their breakdowns. It'd give the series a bit of time to breathe at least.

Thankfully, this show won't get Murphy'ed any time soon. lol

OceanBlue

I kinda want to recommend Moyashimon since it has everything he asks for, but since everyone here thinks it's boring, I wonder if it's not something a lot of people like...

It's a shame that KyoAni's next show doesn't look to have background art nearly as good as Hyouka's.

Hyouka's background art is amazing, even compared to other KyoAni shows. It's a shame that Chuunibyou is definitely a step down from Hyouka in that regard (at least from the pictures we've seen), but it's a tough bar to reach.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The political stuff is all pretty straight-forward. I'm not sure what's so convoluted about it. It really is just A and B are fighting because C is happening. One guy is cold, one guy is for people. I'm not really sure what else there is to it. Season 1 was A and B are fighting because X. Solve for X.
I don't even know what the heck C is anymore. Like I seriously have no idea what the show is about anymore. What is the driving factor behind the conflict? What are character motivations really? What is going on with time? Everything jumps around and I don't know why anyone does the stupid shit they keep seeming to do.

Jex

Not many of these are similar to sitcoms, but they meet your four criteria and are certainly worth a look:

Kaiji
Kuuchuu Buranko/Trapeze
Master Keaton
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Only Yesterday
Paranoia Agent
Space Brothers
Tatami Galaxy
Tokyo Godfathers
Usagi Drop

I can't vouch for the following shows myself, but they seem to also meet your criteria and I have heard good things about them:

Bartender
Honey and Clover
Nana
Nodame Cantabile

The only one I can really add to this list is Hatakari Man.

Unfortunately, like it or not, most anime isn't going to be set in modern day Japan and be adults doing every day stuff. That's just not the kind of thing that gets made.

sonicmj1

A lot of obvious suggestions are taken (I'll echo Usagi Drop, Working!, and The Tatami Galaxy), so I'll give you something a little different than what you want.

Steins;Gate is centered around college age people in present-day Akihabara. The protagonist is a tinkerer and self-proclaimed mad scientist who accidentally invents a machine that can send text messages back in time. He and his friends mess with the machine to try to learn more about its capabilities.

It's situated deep in contemporary Japanese otaku culture, and even references turn-of-the-century internet meme John Titor. It's got some light comedy elements in it, and I found it a really refreshing show when I was looking to get back into anime. My main warning is that the mood takes a turn for the dramatic about halfway through, so if you're looking for a show that is a comedy, it's not going to satisfy you.

Old Home really has such great art direction, it feels like a real and inviting place.

Besides the parts of it that are totally abandoned, Old Home is a really great location. There's a good sense of lived-in warmth to it.

The entire art direction of the show does a pretty great job of building a setting that seems like it could exist in tons of different time periods. It adds to the sense that the town lies outside of the rest of existence.

Instro

Hyouka - 18

That said if this was a KEY property this is where a truck would swerve in and hit them both.

If it was a KEY property
the dead stranded people would have been the teachers family, and the helicopter would have been their spirits reincarnated.
...and then they would have been hit by the truck.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only one I can really add to this list is Hatakari Man.

Unfortunately, like it or not, most anime isn't going to be set in modern day Japan and be adults doing every day stuff. That's just not the kind of thing that gets made.
Basically, the noitaminA block.

Heck, even Eden of the East kind of fits.

Thoraxes

I don't even know what the heck C is anymore. Like I seriously have no idea what the show is about anymore. What is the driving factor behind the conflict? What are character motivations really? What is going on with time? Everything jumps around and I don't know why anyone does the stupid shit they keep seeming to do.

It's been said that
it's because their home planetary systems are en route to collision, and having not agreed on how to resolve this, they're fighting over who gets to keep their home by destroying the other faction.

The conflict can be resolved by blowing up the other's respective planetary system (as was attempted in the past at the cost of human sacrifice, Yurikano and Vox Aura), and the Voxes have been revealed to have had power great enough in the past to completely destroy everything.

However, since the third Vox is in neutral custody (Earth) and the galactic entities (DeMetrio and LeGarite) have 1 each, whoever has the most wins.

They have no choice but to either comply with Earth's demands and make peace (Asteria and the Foundation's plan), destroy the Vox Aura and try to resolve this with the least death through attrition (Villaguugubbd's plan), steal the Vox Aura and Madoka and force her to kill all of Demetrio, including their homesystem (Dizelmine).

tl;dr Whoever has the most robots wins. The people with the most power (girls) don't want to fight.

Narag

Fresh Pretty Cure! 19-24

Hmm, the sketchy series start certainly didn't give me hope for much than silly comedy. Got a great arc for my troubles here though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I actually like Library Wars though. :(

Shoujo action show. It's such an eclectic mix.

So, is it actually good-good?

I always assumed it was just babby's first anti-censorship story from the premise. I have a fondness for modern anime that immediately sink into extreme obscurity so I've still always been kind of curious about it, hah.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In reference to the previous conversation point I'd like to point out I watch anime dubbed.

Dubbed in Japanese Wa ha ha~!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, is it actually good-good?

I always assumed it was just babby's first anti-censorship story from the premise. I have a fondness for modern anime that immediately sink into extreme obscurity so I've still always been kind of curious about it, hah.
Naw, I wouldn't say it's good-good. On a science fiction level, it's really basic.

It's just that the protagonist is a shoujo heroine who a) wants to find her prince and b) is not a doormat. So on the one hand, it's an action anime with actual romance (gasp) or it's a shoujo anime with a heroine who doesn't immediately suck.

So, I guess I enjoy it because of the genre clashes more than the actual craft of the show as a whole.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Naw, I wouldn't say it's good-good. On a science fiction level, it's really basic.

It's just that the protagonist is a shoujo heroine who a) wants to find her prince and b) is not a doormat. So on the one hand, it's an action anime with actual romance (gasp) or it's a shoujo anime with a heroine who doesn't immediately suck.

So, I guess I enjoy it because of the genre clashes more than the actual craft of the show as a whole.

Sometimes it doesn't take very much to convince me. I'm kind of interested now!

*adds to theoretical backlog in no particular order but probably not any time soon*

Goddammit, I can't get this out of my head.

yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri daijiken

yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri

yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri

yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri

Emitan

Goddammit, I can't get this out of my head.

yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri

yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri

yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri

yuri yurararara yuruyuri
yuri yurararara yuruyuri