• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I'd certainly be interested in seeing another "Anime of the Forever" poll, since the last one was five years ago, though I have to wonder how much recency bias would play into such a thing.

I'm less interested in just a single "Anime of the Forever" thing, but very interested in whether we have a large enough anime community here who can actually vote on specific categories which would be helpful to people looking for certain types of material.

Best Drama
Best Action
Best Comedy
Best Science Fiction
Best Fantasy
etc

It would also be interesting to have stuff like Best Art Direction, Best Animation in Action Sequence, Best Character Animation, etc. I dunno how much interest there is though. It would be quite a lot of effort to set up and explain in a detailed way to users...

Narag

I don't mean to be a pernickety asshole but I guess I'm going to be one anyway.

The quality of the CG in the movie doesn't have anything to do with it being 'early CG'. This is 2002, afterall. It's just a result of the fact that the director made the entire movie on his Apple G4, so that's the result you get.

An example of truly early GC can be found in the 1983 Goglo 13 movie. BASK in it's glory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxPjUo5-cI

No, it's fine. I didn't realize it was Shinkai mostly on his own. I do wish I could remember what my initial reaction to the helicopters in that was though. I'd like to say I was horrified but likely I was all in on enjoying it.

cajunator

Banned
I don't feel like there's anything 'suspect' about Upotte's quality. It knows what kind of show it is, and so do we.

That's how I felt about it. We all saw the PV and the artwork. It was obvious what kind of show it was trying to be. nothing suspect about it!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't feel like there's anything 'suspect' about Upotte's quality. It knows what kind of show it is, and so do we.
Even for what it is it isn't always very good, or at least accomplishing what it intends to.

Jex

Too bad Upotte's art is so ugly or that might be something to look forward to.

It's certainly odd that a show essentially whose main hook is supposedly 'cute girls' (at least in the mind of otaku) should have such rubbish character designs. Then again, stuff like Fate/Stay Night was extremely popular and we all know how good those designs are.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well it is nearly pure, undiluted :firehawk.
So many possibilities. Beyond the separation stories, you could also have pseudo-immortality stories where, for example, you come home and see that your grandchildren are the same "age" as you are. Fun times!

---

qAGsvl.png

Reknoc said that an episode of GCCX had "video game karuta" and sure enough, there it is. lol
Instead of trying to slap poems, the reader is reading the tag line for the game and you have to find the right game. Maybe in a thousand years, that'll be how people play the game!

(Also, guess what game is referred to in that caption!)

Novid

Banned
No, it's fine. I didn't realize it was Shinkai mostly on his own. I do wish I could remember what my initial reaction to the helicopters in that was though. I'd like to say I was horrified but likely I was all in on enjoying it.

of course the CG would look bad, there were only a few in the states who used CG in movies, let alone in animation and the costs were huge. CG back then worked with simple shapes and texts - which ironcly when it comes to brodcast production the cg back then looks better than it does now.

Articalys

I'm less interested in just a single "Anime of the Forever" thing, but very interested in whether we have a large enough anime community here who can actually vote on specific categories which would be helpful to people looking for certain types of material.

Best Drama
Best Action
Best Comedy
Best Science Fiction
Best Fantasy
etc

It would also be interesting to have stuff like Best Art Direction, Best Animation in Action Sequence, Best Character Animation, etc. I dunno how much interest there is though. It would be quite a lot of effort to set up and explain in a detailed way to users...
I agree that a genre-focused "best of" guide would certainly be more practical and useful in the long run. The second group of categories feels more like the Academy Awards or something.

So many possibilities. Beyond the separation stories, you could also have pseudo-immortality stories where, for example, you come home and see that your grandchildren are the same "age" as you are. Fun times!

Time dilation does set up some interesting scenarios. I really like how it was handled in Gunbuster.

cajunator

Banned
Well, as long as we're above reddit.

At least I have an account on a superior forum like animesuki. Don't know about you guys.

Animenfo is a pretty decent one.
they separate shows by name/category though, like animesuki does.

Personally I think you should just post on Sekai no Hajimari OLD HOME forum which is full of Haibane Renmei fans. HR fans seem to be a pretty mature lot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Time dilation does set up some interesting scenarios. I really like how it was handled in Gunbuster.
Yeah. The ending is particularly tragic when you think about the consequences.

Of course, I understand why most people use FTL. It's just easier to not have to think about relativity when it comes to how much your characters have aged in relation to each other. lol

It's a tired theme that's largely become archetyped like save-the-princess or find-the-macguffin. But then SF as a whole is a tired genre, so w/e.
Your face is tired. :(

(What does that even mean?!)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a tired theme that's largely become archetyped like save-the-princess or find-the-macguffin. But then SF as a whole is a tired genre, so w/e.
I haven't encountered it as much, honestly, since a lot of SF writers are lazy bums who cop out with FTL travel and communication.

Then again I'm a SF nub so what do I know?

duckroll

I agree that a genre-focused "best of" guide would certainly be more practical and useful in the long run. The second group of categories feels more like the Academy Awards or something.

Animegaf Awards!

/me nominates BONES and Ufotable for everything and runs away.

Dresden

I haven't encountered it as much, honestly, since a lot of SF writers are lazy bums who enjoy giving their world FTL travel and communication.

Then again I'm a SF nub so what do I know?

Even a hack like L. Ron Hubbard wrote a book about it back in 1950.

Dunno, I'm just feeling down on it these days.

I've since learned that people play roles and it's just easy to play them. Combine that with the fact that you also have people talking about the same things over and over again, and it's easy for me to expect jman to shit on K-On and for me to, as a conditioned response, say K-On is good.

I've made dozens of posts explaining why I like K-On, but I think we're past that point now. lol

AnimeGAF as a comedy routine, where people become caricatures of themselves and repeat canned punchlines, may have been something I was interested in at one time due to novelty but I don't find it particularly interesting now.

Yeah, although Shinkai isn't really interested in character design or sakuga animation. He's all about the background art.

Quite true; none of the Comix Wave productions I've seen have noteworthy animation. Shinkai is preoccupied with the static beauty of landscapes as opposed to the flowing beauty of motion. Perhaps this helps to explain his storytelling deficiencies, since he prioritizes the individual moment over the narrative flow.

Glad you didn't completely bail, hosannainexcelsis. I really do like reading your posts and insights. I'm not very good at articulating why I like or dislike anything, so it's helpful to see how you and the others here go about it.

Thanks. No one starts out being able to clearly articulate what they find worthwhile or not about a particular work. If you go back and dig up my earliest posts in these anime threads, you'll find they're not particularly thoughtful or detailed. It was only after observing the posts of people like Jexhius, duckroll, and others that I sharpened my mind and gained the tools to dig deeper into critical analysis. So yes, learning by example is definitely the best course to take if you're interested in these things.

Best Drama
Best Action
Best Comedy
Best Science Fiction
Best Fantasy
etc

Genre-segregated lists would be very helpful and doable, but the more technical categories, as interesting as they would be, strike me as something that would be difficult to get a substantial number of people who have thought about them and would interested in voting on them. Not to mention it would be challenging to pull together a summary list from whatever the results end up being. "Best Animation in Action Sequence", for instance: there's a lot of possible responses and I'm not sure if a short list consensus could be formed.

Tanken Driland 4

We are Dragonboy, I still really like the ending theme. Nice episode overall, with everyone getting in the action, Wallens as epic as usual, and Pollon still utterly hilarious. Need Pan now.
That implied Albida x Wallens, lol

Ultimadrago

Third, it was not the subject of the post that I took issue with (I am a fan of Nichijou, after all); rather, its manner. "Your argument is invalid because you like something I don't" is one of the lowest kinds of argumentation, a way of deflecting criticism without engaging it and turning discussions into wars between different camps of fanboys. (There was a similar post nearby about Hyouka and Kids on the Slope.) I also had a problem with the aggressive tone of the post, particularly the use of ironic quotation marks around "haters", as if to say that anyone who said they didn't like Nichijou was being disingenuous about their opinions. There's nothing that shuts down a discussion faster than claiming that the opposing party must be lying.

I wouldn't identify the exchange as arguing to begin with. My response to jman2050 held no formal contentions. I stated an ironic observation that related to what I responded to. Critical debate regarding Nichijou is not something that I have never witnessed set up in the thread (comments from yesterday notwithstanding). In other words, I don't believe I "shut down" any discourse because it didn't exist (at least, not in an argumentative manner). I read nothing to engage on a level that would lead to any noteworthy debate.
The quotation marks around "haters" was simply because of its informal context over the Internet in regards to those that dislike it to a high degree. For example, an average teacher typing to a student, "Billy, you're pretty 'cool' yourself!" I made sure to state "avid" in order to not group everyone in the thread that isn't fond of Nichijou. I don't believe listing usernames is necessary as any regulars here probably know the gist. Also, I wouldn't say I labeled them as liars. However, I have never read any posts of their usual nature leading to worthy discussion about the elements of the anime. "Lol Nichibomba" is the brink of quality most of those post types I've read here can muster. In the end, an ironic observation on a select group of people and a select list of comedy anime. Finally, on the comment being aggressive, I see no wrong in that. Nichijou gets a passive-aggressive or aggressive post here from any given detractor (same pool of people) every week (different days). There are times my responses are in kind. This all isn't to say my approach in the post in question was optimal for healthy thread behavior.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Someone hasnt seen animeleague (or a dozen other anime forums mostly populated by 12 year olds)

AnimeGAF was my last stop on the internet before deciding to give up attempting to discuss anime with other people forever. After several years of joining and leaving various anime forums due to having nothing in common with other members, I'm fairly certain that "mostly populated by 12 year olds" applies to all other places for anime discussion on the internet.

Dresden

Is science fiction really more tired than any other genre of fiction?

After about a decade of obsessing over it, that's my opinion on it--not enough works of note being published, not enough innovation, just tired schticks and esotericisms being recycled in lieu of actual ideas. Or just tech-wanking.

At least fantasy (the non-ASOIAF/Wheel of Time kind) has men and women willing to push the buttons.

Reknoc

qAGsvl.png

Reknoc said that an episode of GCCX had "video game karuta" and sure enough, there it is. lol
Instead of trying to slap poems, the reader is reading the tag line for the game and you have to find the right game. Maybe in a thousand years, that'll be how people play the game!

(Also, guess what game is referred to in that caption!)

\o/

That reminds me; I was going to screenshot that section and be all "Arino > Chihaya" but I ended up watching Arino be terrible at Super Mario World instead and forgot about it.

It was probably for the best I forgot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom