• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horizon 2 ep 7

Poor Tenzen
getting a boring "death"

The whole debate was pretty good even if I had to, as usual, replay, and replay, and replay scenes especially since they instant message each other during it too. Honda Masazumi is really the start of the anime with her trusty Honda Futayo who is defintely epic with that claim of being able to take on 500 of their forces alone.

I almost thought they were going to strike the deal with Oxford Academy, until Gin Tachibana and Velazquez of Tres Espana waltzed in there

Dresden

MilSF is its own sub-genre though. I'm pretty sure Elizabeth Moon/David Weber/whoever is doing that stuff nowadays isn't dominating the genre anyway. As far as I know, Baen Books hasn't taken over the industry. lol
Eh, it wasn't just Baen and their horribly garish covers. It was in vogue for a while through the latter portion of the decade, until the zombie craze hit, which due to the viral nature of the setup placed it (unfortunately) in the SF camp.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sometimes you wanna kill Chitanda...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trmXJZZekvE
And sometimes you wanna hug her.

Chris Rock: "If you haven't contemplated murder, you ain't been in love. If you haven't seriously thought about killing a motherfucker, you ain't been in love. If you haven't had a can of rat poison in your hand and looked at it for forty-five minutes straight, you ain't been in love. If you haven't bought a shovel and a bag and a rug to roll their ass up in, you ain't been in love. If you haven't practiced your alibi in front of the mirror, you ain't been in love. And the only thing that's stopped you from killing this motherfucker was a episode of CSI: "Oh man, they thorough. I better make up. They might catch my ass."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eh, it wasn't just Baen and their horribly garish covers. It was in vogue for a while through the latter portion of the decade, until the zombie craze hit, which due to the viral nature of the setup placed it (unfortunately) in the SF camp.
Do you count spec-fic as scifi? I do, so that's why I don't really see SF as being all that cramped. Like any genre, there's the stuff for the masses and the stuff that isn't.

cajunator

Banned
Chris Rock: "If you haven't contemplated murder, you ain't been in love. If you haven't seriously thought about killing a motherfucker, you ain't been in love. If you haven't had a can of rat poison in your hand and looked at it for forty-five minutes straight, you ain't been in love. If you haven't bought a shovel and a bag and a rug to roll their ass up in, you ain't been in love. If you haven't practiced your alibi in front of the mirror, you ain't been in love. And the only thing that's stopped you from killing this motherfucker was a episode of CSI: "Oh man, they thorough. I better make up. They might catch my ass."

Chris Rock is the best.
but no, Misaki is the only Hyouka waifu for me.

Dresden

Do you count spec-fic as scifi? I do, so that's why I don't really see SF as being all that cramped. Like any genre, there's the stuff for the masses and the stuff that isn't.

But you said just a while ago that fantasy was lame-o, and it'd fall under the spec-fic umbrellea as well.

Ultimadrago

I secretly wish every post in the thread was about this long and packed with as much thought. Although I would prefer a couple of paragraphs here and there to break up the text.

I'd like to be able to write posts of this length or above but I am no longer a Student or Unemployed so I don't really have the time to craft posts of the same length or breadth that I once could. Spending thirty minutes to create a review of a single episode of a particular show is no longer feasible.

Well, it hasn't been too long since your Golgo 13 - The Professional review or Fate/Zero OP/ED analyzation. Unless, of course, you mean those are peanuts in comparison to what you used to write before my time.

Well, it hasn't been too long since your Golgo 13 - The Professional review or Fate/Zero OP/ED analyzation. Unless, of course, you mean those are peanuts in comparison to what you used to write before my time.

Jex just hasn't been the same since Cajun dethroned him as supreme AnimeGAF overlord. The fight is gone in him.

Jex

I could write those kind of lengthier posts for just about every episode of everything I watched. Which was one of the very, very few benefits of not being in work.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Isn't spec-fi just an overly broad umbrella term?

Dresden

Moon was about science though, kind of, and that was a cool movie.

I think it's also worth noting that we now live in an age where NASA are doing shit that Jerry Bruckheimer would throw out of his movie for being too ludicrous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2I8AoB1xgU so there's hope left for real science!
I think the visual aspect of film gives SF more respite re: fatigue than its literary incarnations.
Sword Art Online 7

Why are blacksmith girls always the best characters in everything?
They're handy.
Spec-fic is not Fantasy!
Spec-fic encompasses it and if you remove it all that's left is SF... because, despite the abundance of sub-genres and sub-genres of sub-genres, all with their own headings, genre fiction is ultimately divided up into those two categories.

Jex

After about a decade of obsessing over it, that's my opinion on it--not enough works of note being published, not enough innovation, just tired schticks and esotericisms being recycled in lieu of actual ideas. Or just tech-wanking.

At least fantasy (the non-ASOIAF/Wheel of Time kind) has men and women willing to push the buttons.

I would certainly kill for my sci-fi texts in the style of Ray Bradbury. I miss the majesty and texture that he gave to his stories. I suppose it's hard for an author today to write with his mindset because of what we know about actual science. He was free to write stories about 50's people strolling around mars talking to the natives.

Kazzy

Haven't been around here long but I'm guessing that whenever K-On is brought up it on AnimeGAF it doesn't end well...

Whatever it is, it's cyclical.

And as for this thread, there is certainly eloquence to be found amidst the normal routine. It's at least welcoming enough that I don't have to fear posting my thoughts on whatever I happen to be watching, despite being a newbie to this particular dance.

I at least owe this place a debt of gratitude for developing my interest in Anime as a whole. Whether or not that's misplaced, I'm a little unsure!

Summary: I'm too late to all of this...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Spec-fic encompasses it and if you remove it all that's left is SF... because, despite the abundance of sub-genres and sub-genres of sub-genres, all with their own headings, genre fiction is ultimately divided up into those two categories.
This is a debate that will not end well. lol

cajunator

Banned
Did you see the code I put up. Go Hastings had the bluray combo for $32. Don't know if the code still works. You can try it's STOCKUP

I bought it already. It was part of a shipment I used a code on. Appreciated that.
I also have the first season of Kimi No todoke to watch.

OceanBlue

You're histories greatest monster.

Perhaps for some people, but I'd argue that there's a healthy mix of opinions and views.

I agree. The mix is even more prominent because all discussion is centralized in one thread, so you get to see every opinion instead of being focused into a smaller group that most likely shares similar preferences to you, which is what tends to happen in general anime forums. That being said, I wasn't really referring to AnimeGAF's views on anime as much as AnimeGAF's views on AnimeGAF. It was kinda just a throwaway remark anyway.

Soma

Heard of it? I still get friend requests 4 years after I left it.
Although I had some fun posting there. but it wasn't very engaging discussion, even outside of the silly hnnngh cute stuff.

haha sounds like AL alright

i still post there regularly in the ramblings section. as awful as the forum is, it was my first message board (7+ years oh god) so it's basically home.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Let's see if AnimeGAF can effortlessly defuse discussions that cause entire anime forums to collapse in on themselves.

dub or sub BOOM DISCUSS

Naruto SD 21

blegh.gif

His more prominent role yet!

Ghost stories and stuff. Not bad, just not too exciting.

I agree. The mix is even more prominent because all discussion is centralized in one thread, so you get to see every opinion instead of being focused into a smaller group that most likely shares similar preferences to you, which is what tends to happen in general anime forums with subforums. That being said, I wasn't really referring to AnimeGAF's views on anime as much as AnimeGAF's views on AnimeGAF. It was kinda just a throwaway remark anyway.
Not to circlejerk, but I agree with you. I like that AnimeGAF has both shallow, silly stuff like waifu wars as well as thoughtful analyses and criticisms. I'm still a newbie, but I think that both have their place here.

imo, what really matters is that people are respectful to one another, regardless of what's being discussed.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Let's see if AnimeGAF can effortlessly defuse discussions that cause entire anime forums to collapse in on themselves.

dub or sub BOOM DISCUSS

Both are good, although I don't really know what a bad Japanese VA sounds like so I'm not really critical of Japanese VA's at all.

A lot of dubs I have watched are terrible, but then you get stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and even Eureka 7 where everything is pretty good.

cajunator

Banned

dub or sub BOOM DISCUSS

It honestly depends on several things:

1. Availability. Some things I buy only have the subs. Most licensed stuff does have dub and I usually will watch that given a choice.

2. The presence of Kana Hanazawa, Kana Asumi, Chiaki Omigawa, Eri Kitamura or Haruko Momoi. characters with these roles I listen to sub only. SUB ONLY.

3. Mood. Sometimes I feel like reading text, and a lot of times watching with friends I would prefer it in english so I can talk about other things while watching.

4. Editing. If its edited, fuck the dub to hell. Period.

5. National Security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom