• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is. Haruna is "perfect" - for people who like to sleep with blow-up dolls. The only "bad" thing about her is that she's incredibly weak - and the show tries to sell that as a good thing. No quirks, no personality, nothing.

I kinda like shy quiet girls, to each his own.

Steroyd

Let's see if AnimeGAF can effortlessly defuse discussions that cause entire anime forums to collapse in on themselves.

dub or sub BOOM DISCUSS

I've heard so many shit dubs I automatically go sub and unfairly don't give dubs a chance wether they turn out good or not.

Although it is unfairly harder for me to hear "bad" Japaneese VA, unless they're distinctly awful in a special way like Chiaki Omigawa.

Theonik

She's kicked to the curb by the author in favor of much better characters save for a chapter or two. That should be close enough.
Or to be more precise characters that were not based on his very very shady ex-wife.
(Who even went as far as to dispute his rights on the character)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
To be fair that was a very different time. Dubs were quite often rubbish, rushed, badly acted or incorrect (which made for some pretty entertaining stuff, from time to time). Now dubs tend to be relatively faithful and relatively boring.

That, I feel, can be a problem with modern dubbing. By being faithful and accurate you can lose some of them charm that older dubs could have. For example, no dub as amazing as this will ever made in the current climate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

"You fuckaaaaahhh, try some of this!"

That's pretty cool stuff.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
"You fuckaaaaahhh, try some of this!"

That's pretty cool stuff.

I like how the lady who gets shot in the beginning keeps screaming after she gets shot in the head. That's some quality. Love those old sound effects too.

"Sayonara asshole..."

She is. Haruna is "perfect" - for people who like to sleep with blow-up dolls. The only "bad" thing about her is that she's incredibly weak - and the show tries to sell that as a good thing. No quirks, no personality, nothing.

She's actually kind of almost amusing in the Darkness OVAs since
she gets transformed into a cat and actually has a personality.

Everything else, she sucks though.

duckroll

Why doesn't this kind of thing get animated? With such a large (however idiosyncratic and underfunded) animation industry, why do we so rarely see animated adaptations of "adult" genre novels, rather than light novels? I know we have From The New World coming later this year, but even that has teenage protagonists. Aren't there equivalents to "Kraken" in the adult genre fiction world? Or is there simply no such thing in Japan, is scifi or fantasy mostly the domain of generally poor light novels or literary/magical realist stuff like Murakami works or Tatami Galaxy?

I think there are varying reasons for this, but I'll cover the main points I feel influence this the most:

a) Anime for adults is a niche medium no matter how we look at it. The fact that Japan has an industry which actually bothers to regularly produce animations for older audiences does not mean that it is accepted as a mainstream thing, nor does it mean it is particularly successful. The only difference between how animation is view in Japan and in America is that Japan actually has sponsors and production companies who are willing to try making more than just animation for children. The fact still remains that if you have a successful adult franchise from another medium and you want to adapt it into a visual form, doing live action still makes the most sense.

b) The anime industry is largely driven by big production companies who have their tentacles in various industries - music, manga, light novels, etc. It is not surprising that all of these companies target a younger and more juvenile audience. It is much easier to indoctrinate interest in more impressionable school children, rather than working adults. At the same time it also gives you more flexibility in promotion through word of mouth via social networking. So it is unsurprising that these companies would have their own self-interest as a priority and want to use anime to expand the reach of their own works in other mediums - which general target a younger demographic.

c) Japan is a much, much smaller country in comparison with America and China. This means that both the creative output and reach of such creative works are more limited. To add to this point, Japan is a country which has their own language, generally understood only by the Japanese people and those who choose to learn the language from the rest of the world. In comparison, when an English novel is written, it instantly has huge reach worldwide, before translations are even taken into account. When Chinese novels are written, there are multiple countries in Asia able to understand them, including China - the biggest country in the world. When there is a much bigger market, there are many more works produced. Especially when such works can be written by people in various different countries who share a common language, and be read by many people in various other countries as well.

Cwarrior

I stopped trying to have any semblance of a discussion a long time ago with animegaf or make a post that takes more than 30secs to type out.

Why even spend time or put some thought into your post when whatever you say will result in some handwaveing and unconstructive insults being spouted at you (not that I mind the insults but at least try to address the post/s).

There are ton of far better threads/communities I can better spend my time in to have real discussions about fictional works, like the DC/marvel animated threads, Doctor who thread,legend of korra/annag thread,scoobydoo inc thread, yes they be real discussions in those.

I noticed with each anime thread created the quality of content in them keeps on drooping, it's now devolved to the point it's pretty much all just x waifu is better then y and fanserivce shots/or text.

Anyways animegaf is made up of mostly of two groups/type of posters, The waifu wars group and the desperately clinging to any thing group(duckroll,jex,branduil,hosanasan-watever his name is).

As I said before Wonzo kingdom gifs are the only reason I remember this thread exists.

Hakuouki Reimeiroku 7

Ryunosuke is actually really cool even if in the anime he is always seemingly in the "male in distress role," feels fresh and good. Heisuke is really my favorite one and this episode did a good job for him.

The whole thing with Heisuke coming to terms with what he is out for and having to actually kill the Fury, even if it was a human, was quite emotional especially when he did it.

shame lala is kicked to the curb somewhat in Darkness. Girls that are into engineering are hot.

Also doesn't hurt that's she's naked or attacked by tentacles in half the panels she appears in.

Mandoric

Banned
I stopped trying to have any semblance of a discussion a long time ago with animegaf or make a post that takes more than 30secs to type out.

have you ever considered that your dissatisfaction with animugaf posters may be because they were doing the same to you to begin with

duckroll

To be fair that was a very different time. Dubs were quite often rubbish, rushed, badly acted or incorrect (which made for some pretty entertaining stuff, from time to time). Now dubs tend to be relatively faithful and relatively boring.

That, I feel, can be a problem with modern dubbing. By being faithful and accurate you can lose some of them charm that older dubs could have. For example, no dub as amazing as this will ever made in the current climate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

OMG! "Eat shit and die!" LOL!

Yes. The whole affair is pretty much the explanation about everything to do with Darkness.
Yabuki said:
While I was working hard on a manga that was focused on taking young girls' panties off, another man was taking my wife's panties off.
lol
The story has been posted at least 5 times in this thread alone. Pay attention!
Probably. Thread moves to fast for me sometimes.

cajunator

Banned
I wasn't just recommending it because it was cute. It actually taught me several things about baseball strategy and methods. I thought it was a pretty well thought out series.

Narag

You missed some dark times in this thread while you were gone.

icvvY98tozhlL.gif

Cross Game is my all time favorite manga, but I didn't really care for the anime. Just seemed like the tone/rhythm that made it so special on the page didn't translate well to the screen. Are other Adachi animes different, or are they pretty similar? I know Touch was pretty popular back when it first came out.

Pokemon B/W Rival Destinies 27

Looks whose back to be meaner and edgier.

So, character of the day finds a fossil that turns out to be his childhood friend when he jumped through the time gate, but that dastardly Team Rocket steals the fossil, resurrects it so they can use the new Pokemon to keep open the time gate so they can go back in time, research the crap out of the extinct Pokemon and somehow take over the Unova region.

Uh huh.

Nafe

I was first given the tag "Only watches Utena dubbed" when I admitted to it.

Haha, I remember reading all this when you first got here. Did you even get out of Junior status before Hitokage gave you that tag? I recall you getting it pretty quickly anyway.

Not to mention the scene with the cats.

It has been a couple of years since I've seen the show so I don't remember this scene. I remember Hana dressing up as a cat and doing some role play stuff with Katja, or however it was spelled again.

I would post more but watching anime is too much work. I just wait for chances to talk about yuri.

I've been here for about a month and a week and have made 165 posts including this one. That only averages out to about 1.5 posts a day but to me that's a lot of posts. I didn't think I would chat this much.

To be honest I've only started actually collecting recently. I used to just start at images online and admire the cuteness. ^^;

Haha that's actually what I do. The first Nendoroid that I seriously considered buying was one of Stocking from Panty&Stocking but I never did buy it. I did break down and buy one of Homura from Madoka but that's been the only one so far.

As far as spending money on hobbies, most of my money goes towards video games like the Atelier series. Which I still haven't played because I haven't bought a PS3.

Don't worry; as frustrated as I get with this place, there's enough good here to keep me coming back. In the end, I have things I want to say about the anime I watch and since I don't feel like making a blog that no one will read, this is the best place to say those things.

That's good to hear. :)
I was hoping to become friends, or at least as much as conversing through a internet forum will allow anyway.

Junk about boobs and "waifu" arguments - while I'm not fond of them, they're filler nonsense that's relatively easy to ignore. When basic civility and rational, reasoned discourse gets thrown out, however, that is not so easy to ignore. Perhaps I am asking too much of the Internet, and I know there are far worse places in that regard than here, but it's frustrating when I know that many people here are capable of better things. I would certainly like to help create an atmosphere here that encourages constructive discussion as opposed to one which encourages us to tear each other down.

Agreed on the first sentence. Sometimes it can be fun but at least you can easily tune it out as well when it's of no interest.

The forum has it's moments but usually when things get like someone saying something like "Uh! you like show such-and-such?!" they may be genuinely disappointed that you like it and can't understand but at the same time I feel they don't really care either and think you can like or dislike what you want. At the end of the day they'll probably forget the conversation even took place as they have more important things to attend to. I always took most things, even when they don't always come across that way, as people just messing around not really meaning any actual harm.

I can definitely see your point though and personally I'm someone who tries to be polite to others. Noone has probably read every single one of my 165 posts but I've never even cursed once! If people do I don't mind as sometimes people get excited but I just don't do it personally.

duckroll

Binbougami ga - Episode 7

That was pretty bad. I didn't find it funny, the story was kinda lame, the new character is annoying, and it feels like a been-there-done-that kinda story. It wasn't even particularly creative or visually interesting. One of the worst episodes so far I think...

Branduil

I've heard so many shit dubs I automatically go sub and unfairly don't give dubs a chance wether they turn out good or not.

Although it is unfairly harder for me to hear "bad" Japaneese VA, unless they're distinctly awful in a special way like Chiaki Omigawa.

I don't like you.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Binbougami ga - Episode 7

That was pretty bad. I didn't find it funny, the story was kinda lame, the new character is annoying, and it feels like a been-there-done-that kinda story. It wasn't even particularly creative or visually interesting. One of the worst episodes so far I think...

Wow, isn't this the episode that everyone likes?

Branduil

That dub is amazing, but at the same time it whitewashes the plot of the original story, which is that everything is part of a plot hatched by the Jews. Instead we just get generic commies.

trejo

I secretly wish every post in the thread was about this long and packed with as much thought. Although I would prefer a couple of paragraphs here and there to break up the text.

To be perfectly honest, if this ever became the norm around here I would probably leave on account of boredom. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy reading well-thought-out posts from people with a firmer grasp on the english language than mine but it is most definitely not the sole reason I come here. See, I happen to enjoy simply shooting the shit with all you guys and talking about the dumbest stuff just as much. I don't really feel like there's a great need to put my serious hat on whenever I want to post in this thread. Hell, sometimes I'll type two or three paragraph posts just to trim it down to a couple of lines once I hit preview post or I outright delete it and forget about the whole thing. It's just not why I'm here.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Why even spend time or put some thought into your post when whatever you say will result in some handwaveing and unconstructive insults being spouted at you (not that I mind the insults but at least try to address the post/s).
Or if they run off to other threads to insult you in front of a wider audience.

Anyway, the best way to change how the thread behaves is to start making your own contribtions to it. At the same time, you should do so with the understanding that not everyone will be interested in the same things as you.

duckroll

Tari Tari - Episode 8

This episode was better than I expected. It's still filled with emo drama lulz, but at least the characters bounce back relatively quickly without dragging it on. With only 5 episodes left, I'm not really sure if the series can deliver a conclusive character arc though. I feel that all their ambitions and motivations are still kinda half baked, and unless this is going to end badly for everyone as a moral lesson, I probably won't be very satisfied with the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom