• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only winning move is not to play!
The most fantastical part of that movie is a high schooler with thousands of dollars of equipment just lying around in his home.

Also:
image.php

Jex

I agree. The mix is even more prominent because all discussion is centralized in one thread, so you get to see every opinion instead of being focused into a smaller group that most likely shares similar preferences to you, which is what tends to happen in general anime forums with subforums. That being said, I wasn't really referring to AnimeGAF's views on anime as much as AnimeGAF's views on AnimeGAF. It was kinda just a throwaway remark anyway.

Well, we've obviously never had sub-forums for specific shows but the single-show threads essentially served that purpose. I think those are great in principle (and sometimes in execution) but when you have a thread devoted to a single work they're obviously going to be rather exclusive.

Which isn't to say that big, sprawling threads are necessarily better or filled with more useful content, but they are open to anyone and the discussion has the potential to go to some very interesting places. It would be extremely hard to talk about certain obscure shows in a single-thread devoted to that show (because the thread would get no traffic and die instantly. Trust me, I know), but if they're brought up here then there's a chance that they might get discussed (assuming they don't get lost in a mess of posts).

Let's see if AnimeGAF can effortlessly defuse discussions that cause entire anime forums to collapse in on themselves.

dub or sub BOOM DISCUSS

I think Ive always been more of a dub loyalist, mainly for the way extra feelings and emotions can be conveyed in the more colorful english language. However I do have some reservations for the english voices, it's always hard to buy the voices some of the va's choose for some of their female characters as they can consistently sound too old for the role as compared to the jpn counters parts, or just overcasting the same va for the roles when it doesnt fit for some male characters (the same actor could change up his dub voice especially across different genres). Though I guess as Ive seen more and more subbed stuff it seems JPN also has this issue.

Also I dont like english dubbing openings, seems to be more misses than hits, unless the origin song is just plain awful.

Of all the anime I bought, the only time I listened to it subbed was when it was sub only (thus far only Star Driver) or when its being simulcasted.

Soma

Let's see if AnimeGAF can effortlessly defuse discussions that cause entire anime forums to collapse in on themselves.

dub or sub BOOM DISCUSS

I don't really have much of a preference. Some anime I can't watch without the English dubbing and vice-versa. I remember when starting to really get into anime, I hated subtitles. Now it's been a while since I've actively watched a dubbed series. Shows like NGE and Cowboy Bebop where my mind has become so attached to the english VAs that anything else sounds weird to me.

That said there's a lot of Japanese VAs that I've grown to like over the years (Wakamoto, Hanazawa, Maaya Sakamoto, etc.).

Jex

I can't believe some of you having a serious subs/dubs discussion. It feels like 1998 in here.

Also 2010 and 2011 because, unsurprisingly, we've had this discussion before. I mean "we", but of course some of you weren't around for that.

I should really go an invest in Apple.

I can't believe some of you having a serious subs/dubs discussion. It feels like 1998 in here.

Also 2010 and 2011 because, unsurprisingly, we've had this discussion before. I mean "we", but of course some of you weren't around for that.

I should really go an invest in Apple.

In every age, in every place,
the deeds of men remain
the same

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
qAGsvl.png

Reknoc said that an episode of GCCX had "video game karuta" and sure enough, there it is. lol
Instead of trying to slap poems, the reader is reading the tag line for the game and you have to find the right game. Maybe in a thousand years, that'll be how people play the game!

(Also, guess what game is referred to in that caption!)
I thought you were a proper GCCX fan. It was a segment done over a whole season not just one episode!

OceanBlue

Well, we've obviously never had sub-forums for specific shows but the single-show threads essentially served that purpose. I think those are great in principle (and sometimes in execution) but when you have a thread devoted to a single work they're obviously going to be rather exclusive.

Which isn't to say that big, sprawling threads are necessarily better or filled with more useful content, but they are open to anyone and the discussion has the potential to go to some very interesting places. It would be extremely hard to talk about certain obscure shows in a single-thread devoted to that show (because the thread would get no traffic and die instantly. Trust me, I know), but if they're brought up here then there's a chance that they might get discussed (assuming they don't get lost in a mess of posts).

I think you can get more discussion for more obscure anime in bigger forums if you can find a small group of people that like it. Animesuki is a forum I've browsed for much longer than NeoGAF and a recent example there of a relatively obscure anime that received a little bit of discussion, although even then it still went relatively unnoticed, was Nekogami Yaoyorozu. It managed to find a small group of open-minded people that could keep up at least some sort of discussion.

I personally think it's really easy for anime to "get lost in a mess of posts" in a centralized thread, especially when information about that particular anime is becomes so decentralized. I guess a clearer way to put it is, it's easier for discussion of a less popular anime to become lost in catch-all threads. That being said, most people here tend to be good at finding information by themselves and don't mind discussing whatever they've seen, even if not many others have seen it, and some people read every page that they've missed, so it's a problem I think AnimeGAF tends to avoid.

It also depends on the interests of that particular community, of course. I've recently become obsessed with the Campione light novels and I've been keeping up with Koichoco more than most other series, strangely enough (I'm still an episode behind on SAO and Hyouka, for example), but I think I would find more discussion on Animesuki or MAL than here because, as far as I remember, most people here didn't really take an interest in Koichoco and there isn't really a place for light novels here.

I hate to make it sound like there are only positives to a larger forum, because there are a lot of reasons to like big threads as well. It's also true that a lot of anime tend to fly under the radar in bigger forums because it's easier to isolate yourself within the community of series you like. I personally haven't really thought about it hard enough to say if I prefer one or the other, and to be honest as long as there's a place to discuss anime, I don't really mind the format.

The more things change...

Should we adhere to the Japanese original usage of words? Do words like anime take on their own meaning once they're used by a foreign audience like an English-speaking one? Do we even consider how the Japanese usage of otaku slang has evolved?

Jex

What was the verdict in 1998?

To be fair that was a very different time. Dubs were quite often rubbish, rushed, badly acted or incorrect (which made for some pretty entertaining stuff, from time to time). Now dubs tend to be relatively faithful and relatively boring.

That, I feel, can be a problem with modern dubbing. By being faithful and accurate you can lose some of them charm that older dubs could have. For example, no dub as amazing as this will ever made in the current climate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

wsippel

Banned
So, after all the hype a couple of days ago, I watched To Love-Ru. I'm 20 episodes in or something, and my god, that shit is terrible. Problem is: There are some good jokes and a few likable characters, but the MC is typical harem shit and obviously lost both his balls in an accident with a juicer when he was two years old and Haruna is annoying as hell. I basically watch the show for the aliens and the rich bitch, everybody else deserves a slow, horrible, painful death.

OceanBlue

To be fair that was a very different time. Dubs were quite often rubbish, rushed, badly acted or incorrect (which made for some pretty entertaining stuff, from time to time). Now dubs tend to be relatively faithful and relatively boring.

That, I feel, can be a problem with modern dubbing. By being faithful and accurate you can lose some of them charm that older dubs could have. For example, no dub as amazing as this will ever made in the current climate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

This Ghost Stories dub is pretty interesting for a different reason.

So, after all the hype a couple of days ago, I watched To Love-Ru. I'm 20 episodes in or something, and my god, that shit is terrible. Problem is: There are some good jokes and a few likable characters, but the MC is typical harem shit and obviously lost both his balls in an accident with a juicer when he was two years old and Haruna is annoying as hell. I basically watch the show for the aliens and the rich bitch, everybody else deserves a slow, horrible, painful death.

I guess that's one way to look at it.

Holy fuck that is amazing.

Jex

I'm 20 episodes in or something
and my god, that shit is terrible.
That, right there, is the fuel that propels so many AnimeGAFfers. To outsiders it must look like some kind of madness.

jman2050

Should've just skipped to Darkness.

BluWacky

After about a decade of obsessing over it, that's my opinion on it--not enough works of note being published, not enough innovation, just tired schticks and esotericisms being recycled in lieu of actual ideas. Or just tech-wanking.

At least fantasy (the non-ASOIAF/Wheel of Time kind) has men and women willing to push the buttons.

Serious question I've been pondering for the past few hours in relation to this kind of thing...

My favourite recent "science fiction" book is undoubtedly The City And The City by China Mieville - aside from the fact that he basically pulled the book out of my head, I just think it's a brilliant idea and really well executed. I have no idea whether it's sci-fi or fantasy or whatever, and unfortunately it's not really relevant to anything, except...

The book he followed it up with, Kraken, is basically an anime - over-the-top "urban" (as in "so steeped in London it hurts") fantasy with crazy factions plotting against each other, mad action sequences, exaggerated characters etc. Yet this is still "adult" fiction - the characters are relatively sophisticated, usually grown up, and the standard of Mieville's writing is strong.

Why doesn't this kind of thing get animated? With such a large (however idiosyncratic and underfunded) animation industry, why do we so rarely see animated adaptations of "adult" genre novels, rather than light novels? I know we have From The New World coming later this year, but even that has teenage protagonists. Aren't there equivalents to "Kraken" in the adult genre fiction world? Or is there simply no such thing in Japan, is scifi or fantasy mostly the domain of generally poor light novels or literary/magical realist stuff like Murakami works or Tatami Galaxy?

Reading through the list of previous winners of the award that From The New World won in 2007 (it tied with Dennou Coil!) very few have ever been animated at all, and that seems rather sad.

Especially when one of the few that has is Mardock Scramble[/b], of all things. Tow Ubakata is a man with interesting ideas (Chevalier D'Eon, for instance) even if his execution is...somewhat lacking... but Mardock Scramble? Really?

Kazzy

Should we adhere to the Japanese original usage of words? Do words like anime take on their own meaning once they're used by a foreign audience like an English-speaking one? Do we even consider how the Japanese usage of otaku slang has evolved?

It's a strange one for me, because I've only really been familiar with that term long after it had been subject to its evolution as a meme. Which is probably the reason I don't really deem it as a disparaging remark.

Moe in particular, I seem to remember being discussed in quite some detail not so long back. It was interesting to see the opposite side of the argument, where it holds some fairly negative connotations.

In short, the answer is yes.

Jex

I have to assume the answer to this is "yes", unfortunately.

OceanBlue

Why doesn't this kind of thing get animated? With such a large (however idiosyncratic and underfunded) animation industry, why do we so rarely see animated adaptations of "adult" genre novels, rather than light novels? I know we have From The New World coming later this year, but even that has teenage protagonists. Aren't there equivalents to "Kraken" in the adult genre fiction world? Or is there simply no such thing in Japan, is scifi or fantasy mostly the domain of generally poor light novels or literary/magical realist stuff like Murakami works or Tatami Galaxy?

I don't know too much about this, but considering how pervasive companies like Kadokawa and Aniplex are in production committees, the answer probably lies in the fact that light novels boost sales and companies want to boost their profits. The companies with the biggest ties to anime will see more of their properties animated.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Boy, Big O.

Golden Boy is an incredible dub. However, my personal experience dealing with Doug smith via his involvement with an anime convention I was staff in has lead me to associate Kintaro's voice with a raging douchebag. Totally not the fault of the show.

Hyouka - 18

ZZZZZzzzzzzzz

I concur. Hyouka was doing so well too.

Toloveru is not a show to watch for its narrative quality. It is quite simply eye candy and fanservice and Cute. That's really all it has to offer. For me and chet, that was obviously enough, and that is why I recommended it to him. However, I'm sorry if you found it to be awful. You just weren't aware of what you were getting into.

Jex

[Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood] - 41-43

I've still been ploughing throw FMA:B, slowly but surely, but I haven't really sat down to write anything about it. This is usually because it tends to be one the last shows I watch before heading to bed so it takes quite a bit of effort to muster up the energy to post something about it.

As soon as this adaptation cleared the chapters that were already covered by the previous series it really feels like the staff started to put in a bit more effort. Which isn't to say that they weren't trying before but these episodes feel a lot less 'phoned in' - the pacing is far better (because they're not trying to rush through material, obviously), the cinematography is improved and there's less shots that look like they were just lifted straight from the page of a manga. There's also been a large reduction in the number of gag 'fault-face' shots, which helps to keep the tone much more consistent. In general it feels like the staff are taking the work more seriously.

FMABStuff1.png

FMABStuff3.png

FMABStuff4.png

The show isn't perfect, mind you. There's still a number of: slow zooms, pans, tilts and other amateurish stuff but it's been reduced considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom