• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been a couple of years since I've seen the show so I don't remember this scene. I remember Hana dressing up as a cat and doing some role play stuff with Katja, or however it was spelled again..

I can't link a screen of it for obvious reasons, but it has to do with a bare chest, spilled milk, and a bunch of thirsty cats.

cajunator

Banned
Fractale 01

So far so good.
I love the atmosphere right away. The art style is simple but it works for me.
Phryne is pretty cute. I like her priestess outfit. Also like those bratty characters who show up looking for her.
This is an interesting world set up and Im looking forward to seeing where it goes. Its only 11 episodes so it really cant be that bad. I will watch more of it after I get back from work.

Binbougami ga - Episode 7

That was pretty bad. I didn't find it funny, the story was kinda lame, the new character is annoying, and it feels like a been-there-done-that kinda story. It wasn't even particularly creative or visually interesting. One of the worst episodes so far I think...

Might as well drop it now then. If you aren't enjoying the way Momiji and Ichiko play off Ranmaru, then there isn't much left, at least until what will probably be the final arc in the show.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
As it should be.

I didn't know there were any supporters of A-Channel besides firehawk* and I!

a conditional supporter, who acknowledges the fact that A-channel is superior to Yuru Yuri

Sub. Dub just seems weird to me, I want to view the anime the way it was intended to be.

I feel that "the way it was intended to be" is a very flawed argument to use about anime dubs. If a director did want a show to have an italian or russian or german voice cast, what are the chances that he would actually be able to accomplish that?

Any recomendations of a sports anime.

Princess Nine!

anyway, since Theonik brought it up earler,
it seems I will be stuck with library internet til Thursday. :(

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I think SAO is the best anime this season. I guess that isn't saying much... but everything else I've seen I've grown tired of. Natsuyuki is testing my patience (and it started off so well..), Jinrui got dropped, I'm on episode 14 of Accel World and I feel like dropping it, Binbougami is alright. Sword Art isn't amazing - but it's consistent, whatever that's worth. The characters and the stories haven't impressed me at all, but its execution is great. The last episode, for example, was trivial shit... you couldn't write a more lazy script, and it was just another fetch quest for some single young female. But it was pleasant to watch. I enjoyed it. The world is colorful, the art is above average, and the OP and ED don't make want to hang myself. In short, I'll be sticking with it.

cajunator

Banned
I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I think SAO is the best anime this season. I guess that isn't saying much... but everything else I've seen I've grown tired of. Natsuyuki is testing my patience (and it started off so well..), Jinrui got dropped, I'm on episode 14 of Accel World and I feel like dropping it, Binbougami is alright. Sword Art isn't amazing - but it's consistent, whatever that's worth. The characters and the stories haven't impressed me at all, but its execution is great. The last episode, for example, was trivial shit... you couldn't write a more lazy script, and it was just another fetch quest for some single young female. But it was pleasant to watch. I enjoyed it. The world is colorful, the art is above average, and the OP and ED don't make want to hang myself. In short, I'll be sticking with it.

I guess Ill have to start this before the show goes much further. I put a decent dent in my backlog by catching up to Hyouka and Accel world and I suppose SAO is next.

Mature

Are you up to date? I felt like in the last two episodes its picked up the pace. I find it to be the best show of the season without compare.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kokoro Connect is my favorite anime this season and by a fair margin.

Of course the only shows I've watched so far are Kokoro Connect, Yuru Yuri S2, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Binbougami ga! and I'm actually enjoying all of them.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Of course the only shows I've watched so far are Kokoro Connect, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Binbougami ga! and I'm actually enjoying all of them.

This is pretty much my thoughts on the season so far, though I am (was) watching a few more shows than darkside has.

Kazzy

Tari Tari 08

OV87r.jpg

The Baton of brooding has found a new champion.

After the opening, I was anticipating a Wein-centric episode, alas, it was not to be! But at least we got a little more insight into what exactly is so important to him. Now I'm intrigued to hear more about this "Red".

That ending was certainly...something. It was a pretty nice moment, if a little ridiculous. Seeing that Wakana's arc had so much time dedicated to it, I guess its only logical that some developments will happen more quickly than others. That said, it did make the whole resolution to Sawa's story appear to fall into place a little bit too neatly.

Up until now, I had generally found Sawa to be conceited and an unlikeable character, who seemed just a little too flippant during certain moments. Which is why I appreciate the fact that general things like that haven't been forgotten. It was nice to see Wakano calling her out on it, who as it turns out, has developed into a likeable character as of late.

I've enjoyed the series, and I would describe it as a slow-burn, although I don't use that disparagingly. The ensemble is just that, and even if an episode has a clear focus, I rarely get the impression that the rest of the main cast is simply been cast aside in lieu of that. So it was nice to see the payoff in seeing everyone rallying around a dejected Sawa. Its a progression that has felt natural up to this point, with the group gradually coming together out of a mutual necessity.

I've found that my opinion on this series has steadily increased with each episode. And it looks like Wein is up next!

I have a feeling this saccharine undercurrent is going to end with a sting in its tail, come the finale.

Of course the only shows I've watched so far are Kokoro Connect, Yuru Yuri S2, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Binbougami ga! and I'm actually enjoying all of them.

Kokoro Connect is tied with Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate for my favorite anime this season. I like the settings, each episodes are always a blast and they were both surprising finds.

I think Sword Art Online is kind of the anime seasons most overrated anime. I dont understand how its scoring high in rankings in some places, unless people like female companion of the week format. I do like the character Kirito and all he goes through and what not, and the action, what little it occasionally has is good. The two episode arc though was, well really weak.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Accel World 18-19

I appreciate the break from the shit arc, but this beach PvE side story arc is just weird.

Middle school shamans, Megazords and that thing with Megumi. Wut.

Also, something has been stuck on my mind about Sky Raker:
I love how she actually lost her legs when Black Lotus cut them off in a world in which the protagonist has lost limbs on multiple occasions, only for them to grow back.

You missed some dark times in this thread while you were gone.

icvvY98tozhlL.gif

That sounds scary. But I can always go back and enjoy it from a safe spot.

jbug617

Banned
Kokoro Connect is tied with Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate for my favorite anime this season. I like the settings, each episodes are always a blast and they were both surprising finds.

My ranking would be Kokoro Connect and then Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

With Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, I'm still waiting to see how they
tie in the dark beginning of Episode 1. It surely has something to do with the school politics

Narag

Adventures of Kotetsu

Two ep OVA from 96/97 based on the manga of the same name, I feel lazy so here's what MAL summarizes this as:

While walking through the streets of Tokyo, Linn Suzuki comes across a strange device sticking up from the sidewalk. Suddenly, she is set upon by thugs and is helped by a beautiful stranger who takes them all down. It seems young Linn has fled Deep Kyoto from her cruel mistress and has traveled to Edo where she hopes to find her long lost brother, who was last seen working for the Kuon Detective Agency. By chance, this stranger happens to be Miho Kuon and lets Linn stay with her (nicknaming her Kotetsu, or Little Tetsu after her brother, Tetsujin). However, a mysterious agency called the Syndicate are after Miho and Linn is now in the thick of things.

I'm sure the manga is better simply by virtue of better explaining things.
There was more ecchi humor than I really cared for and I didn't find it particularly memorable. I'm pretty sure I'd seen the first episode back in the day but who knows. When the highlight of an OVA is a naked swordfight in the rain there's not much there to begin with.

v6R8Ml.png

Koutetsu's design just irks me.

N5snAl.png
794mql.png

Training montage moe?

My ranking would be Kokoro Connect and then Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

With Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, I'm still waiting to see how they
tie in the dark beginning of Episode 1. It surely has something to do with the school politics

Perhaps the faction mentioned in the last episode has something to do with it.

tari tari jinrui dog days s2 yuruyuri s2 are probably my favs this season.

Everything else i enjoy somewhat. Isn't that Chocolate show some smutty harem thing? Why is DTL watching it?

Space Bros and hxh are still great. Smile Precure is surprisingly still great.

Narag

Slightly related to the above, but when I was looking for Adventures of Koutetsu info, I came across a wiki devoted entirely to anime bath scenes. 1300+ pages and growing!

OceanBlue

tari tari jinrui dog days s2 yuruyuri s2 are probably my favs this season.

Everything else i enjoy somewhat. Isn't that Chocolate show some smutty harem thing? Why is DTL watching it?

It's a harem, but it's not really smutty. Campione is more in that direction, but even then it isn't really.

Edit: Oh, I forgot Boku wa H ga Dekinai. I'm not watching it since I started on the manga a while ago (although I'm going to try it eventually), but if the manga is any indication, it should be more smutty than Campione.

Slightly related to the above, but when I was looking for Adventures of Koutetsu info, I came across a wiki devoted entirely to anime bath scenes. 1300+ pages and growing!

I guess they're listed by series? Are you able to find out which series has the most bath scenes or something like that?

Caesnd

I haven't seen anything of either SAO or Accel World, simply because they look and sound so by the numbers and trite in any kind of way that it's putting me off from watching them. In fact, the whole video game premise itself is really tired at this point (or since way before). Is there something else to these series that I'm missing out on?

Firemind

I agree, but I haven't really been keeping up to date with most of the other shows, but that's probably the reason right there.

The banter of playing favourites is already more compelling than whatever weekly Chitanda face shot coupled with her hollow, soulless eyes and lolis dancing in Tari Tari.

Plus, best ED.

joshiraku5.jpg

I haven't seen anything of either SAO or Accel World, simply because they look and sound so by the numbers and trite in any kind of way that it's putting me off from watching them. In fact, the whole video game premise itself is really tired at this point (or since way before). Is there something else to these series that I'm missing out on?

No unless you like arguing over which girl is better with people.

jman2050

How much truth is there to that "just focus on the cute girls doing cute things" screen that gets posted from time to time. Is there really something else to the show besides that?

Did you watch SZS? It's more like that, except with less black comedy and more esoteric Japanese puns.

Also lots, lots more gratuitous violence.

OceanBlue

Characters, series, movies. Hell, there's even a timeline by year.

A timeline... That's pretty crazy. Shouldn't that be really cluttered?

Is there a trend in bath scenes? Is there a time period where the number of bath scenes increased or was there an abnormal spike in bath scenes one year or something?

jbug617

Banned

I wouldn't really call it harem. I would probably call it a
love triangle
but it really hasn't effect the story.

Perhaps the faction mentioned in the last episode has something to do with it.

At the end of episode 1, they showed the current president talking to the person in the hospital bed. I think it all goes back to the financial party because the cuurent president is trying hard to get Yuki to be president to stop the other party

OceanBlue

I wouldn't really call it harem. I would probably call it a
love triangle
but it really hasn't effect the story.

At the end of episode 1, they showed the current president talking to the person in the hospital bed. I think it all goes back to the financial party because the cuurent president is trying hard to get Yuki to be president to stop the other party

It wouldn't surprise me if Moheji was responsible for it all. He seems to be set up as the villain after all. I wonder if he's responsible for Shirakawa Ayame taking votes from Yuuji as well.

To be honest, Yuuji's platform is irresponsible, and it's obvious that he's waking up to it and they're setting up more revelations for it later. I can't imagine that it will end in any other way than him either changing his platform or conceding once more things are revealed. That's why I'm really interested in Aomi's character. She's cute too, but also, her conflict
seems to be directly related to some of the budget proposals that Satsuki is introducing
. There's just a lot going on in terms of character conflicts (it is a visual novel adaptation after all) and the general plot, so I'm really wondering where all of it leads.

Also, something has been stuck on my mind about Sky Raker:
I love how she actually lost her legs when Black Lotus cut them off in a world in which the protagonist has lost limbs on multiple occasions, only for them to grow back.

Explanations about sky raker

Kuroyukihime has a special hability that she can use to cut things .. when she does it cannot be repaired/restored ( 1 exception exist but can't be used on sky raker ).
You can lose pretty much everything usually in accel world (legs/hands/ weapons that aren't a sperate item) and it'll be back once you go back to the game .... BUT not things cuts by Kuroyukihime special hability

i hope this clear things up .. don't worry , even without her legs , she is still very high tier in battle

Phi Brain s2 ep 20

Rook!!! Rook and Kaito teaming up, nice

Fun Guusha puzzle that reminded me of JRPG's for some reason
Sliding Blocks
. I think were headed towards a good conclusion.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 7:
I feel like I run out of ways to praise this show. It's just such a quality work on every level. Shimao's development continues from where the previous episode left off, but I was still very surprised by the lengths he went to in this episode. I can't imagine ever doing something like that myself. The ending has me really interested to see where things go, especially with
Rokka starting to notice 'Hazuki' is acting like Shimao.

I'm less interested in just a single "Anime of the Forever" thing, but very interested in whether we have a large enough anime community here who can actually vote on specific categories which would be helpful to people looking for certain types of material.

Best Drama
Best Action
Best Comedy
Best Science Fiction
Best Fantasy
etc

It would also be interesting to have stuff like Best Art Direction, Best Animation in Action Sequence, Best Character Animation, etc. I dunno how much interest there is though. It would be quite a lot of effort to set up and explain in a detailed way to users...

I feel like genre categories would be really interesting, and there's probably more than enough interest for that. The biggest wrinkle would be in terms of debating genres (is Show X a comedy? Is any show with some amount of action an 'action show'? When does something become a romance or a drama, etc).

The more technical awards might be a harder sell, but there might be enough people interested to make those worthwhile, even with a lower vote turnout than the former.

Fractale 01

So far so good.
I love the atmosphere right away. The art style is simple but it works for me.
Phryne is pretty cute. I like her priestess outfit. Also like those bratty characters who show up looking for her.
This is an interesting world set up and Im looking forward to seeing where it goes. Its only 11 episodes so it really cant be that bad. I will watch more of it after I get back from work.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

Be prepared for some crazy tone whiplash. (In fairness, maybe it gets awesome after Episode 3, because that's where I stopped at)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom