• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I haven't seen anything of either SAO or Accel World, simply because they look and sound so by the numbers and trite in any kind of way that it's putting me off from watching them. In fact, the whole video game premise itself is really tired at this point (or since way before). Is there something else to these series that I'm missing out on?

No, you pretty much covered it.

Novid

Banned
I don't know too much about this, but considering how pervasive companies like Kadokawa and Aniplex are in production committees, the answer probably lies in the fact that light novels boost sales and companies want to boost their profits. The companies with the biggest ties to anime will see more of their properties animated.

and the fact the most novelists back there want their books to have a live action series like the US does with its own books (dark tower not withstanding)

Soma

To be perfectly honest, if this ever became the norm around here I would probably leave on account of boredom. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy reading well-thought-out posts from people with a firmer grasp on the english language than mine but it is most definitely not the sole reason I come here. See, I happen to enjoy simply shooting the shit with all you guys and talking about the dumbest stuff just as much. I don't really feel like there's a great need to put my serious hat on whenever I want to post in this thread. Hell, sometimes I'll type two or three paragraph posts just to trim it down to a couple of lines once I hit preview post or I outright delete it and forget about the whole thing. It's just not why I'm here.

Man. Hit the nail on the head for me.

One of the main reasons I like this little community is not only because it revolves around something I enjoy but also because I like the split between silly/pointless posts and indepth impressions and discussions. Me, personally I try to find a balance between the two when it comes to posting in these threads. Yeah I'll partake in a waifu tier list war like the next person but I also try to give some impressions on certain anime that I found had an impact on me. I don't think I'm a great writer and sometimes I look back and cringe at some of my posts.

I don't really participate in discussions and debates because quite frankly I don't have the confidence to support my judgement enough and often times I don't have the right words to convey. Sometimes I'll have a large post written out but I end up deleting it. Many times someone else will say what I think in a much more eloquent manner so yeah. In any case, I just post whatever because I just like stuff.

Novid

Banned
I think there are varying reasons for this, but I'll cover the main points I feel influence this the most:

a) Anime for adults is a niche medium no matter how we look at it. The fact that Japan has an industry which actually bothers to regularly produce animations for older audiences does not mean that it is accepted as a mainstream thing, nor does it mean it is particularly successful. The only difference between how animation is view in Japan and in America is that Japan actually has sponsors and production companies who are willing to try making more than just animation for children. The fact still remains that if you have a successful adult franchise from another medium and you want to adapt it into a visual form, doing live action still makes the most sense.

b) The anime industry is largely driven by big production companies who have their tentacles in various industries - music, manga, light novels, etc. It is not surprising that all of these companies target a younger and more juvenile audience. It is much easier to indoctrinate interest in more impressionable school children, rather than working adults. At the same time it also gives you more flexibility in promotion through word of mouth via social networking. So it is unsurprising that these companies would have their own self-interest as a priority and want to use anime to expand the reach of their own works in other mediums - which general target a younger demographic.

c) Japan is a much, much smaller country in comparison with America and China. This means that both the creative output and reach of such creative works are more limited. To add to this point, Japan is a country which has their own language, generally understood only by the Japanese people and those who choose to learn the language from the rest of the world. In comparison, when an English novel is written, it instantly has huge reach worldwide, before translations are even taken into account. When Chinese novels are written, there are multiple countries in Asia able to understand them, including China - the biggest country in the world. When there is a much bigger market, there are many more works produced. Especially when such works can be written by people in various different countries who share a common language, and be read by many people in various other countries as well.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Slightly related to the above, but when I was looking for Adventures of Koutetsu info, I came across a wiki devoted entirely to anime bath scenes. 1300+ pages and growing!

I'm surprised you didn't already know about it, considering that we've brought it up many, many times.

Articalys

Senren Kagura Burst and Aquapazza count as anime-related games, right? One is getting an adaptation and the other basically has already been adapted multiple times. At least Senren Kagura got good scores (aside from AGE).
I didn't know what Aquapazza was (dream match fighting game with characters from Aquaplus games/anime), but I still wouldn't count Senran Kagura as anime-related quite yet, since the anime's still a ways off.

Narag

I'm surprised you didn't already know about it, considering that we've brought it up many, many times.

Sometimes you have to see with your own eyes to believe. That and I've never noticed it in here. It's placed in my mind next to that Sailor Moon pantyshot pdf as an example of the internet having too much free time.

Gintama 67

VvNAW.jpg

A two short story episodes which makes everything more fast paced and more enjoyable. And of course, a Sa-chan-centric episode is best as well.

Novid

Banned

One of the main reasons I like this little community is not only because it revolves around something I enjoy but also because I like the split between silly/pointless posts and indepth impressions and discussions. Me, personally I try to find a balance between the two when it comes to posting in these threads. Yeah I'll partake in a waifu tier list war like the next person but I also try to give some impressions on certain anime that I found had an impact on me. I don't think I'm a great writer and sometimes I look back and cringe at some of my posts.

I don't really participate in discussions and debates because quite frankly I don't have the confidence to support my judgement enough and often times I don't have the right words to convey. Sometimes I'll have a large post written out but I end up deleting it. Many times someone else will say what I think in a much more eloquent manner so yeah. In any case, I just post whatever because I just like stuff.

As much has people all over the internet pin me as an otaku, which I am not and never will be - i am a fan of the north american industry and follow that as closer than this - the american fan bases (including many US Otaku) irk me to no end (outside of TMNT and Power Ranger fandom). This is the best anime community on the net, bar none - despite the loss of some of the earlier posters here from years ago.

This week's Famitsu has a handful of review scores for games based on existing anime series. Let's see here...
..HUm something is wrong

i see that famitsu won't say no to a good score for a gundam , even if it's crap.

;-; i want to try aquaplaza

I see someone at Famitsu really, really liked playing Bakemonogatari Portable. *cough*

As for bakemonogatari , the battle system alone makes for a very nice try at least ...

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F (PSV): 9, 8, 9, 8

This is anime related. Don't argue otherwise!
the good notes makes me happy

Mandoric

Banned
I see someone at Famitsu really, really liked playing Bakemonogatari Portable. *cough*

(insert 5-page monologue on the symbolism of the number 4 in japanese culture, squeezed into 5 seconds, here)

Also, what the hell, people. I thought Kotetsu was something I deluded purely on my own and didn't actually exist.

jbug617

Banned
Senren Kagura Burst and Aquapazza count as anime-related games, right? One is getting an adaptation and the other basically has already been adapted multiple times. At least Senren Kagura got good scores (aside from AGE).

Phantom Breaker is still coming out in the US.

Soma

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I think SAO is the best anime this season. I guess that isn't saying much... but everything else I've seen I've grown tired of. Natsuyuki is testing my patience (and it started off so well..), Jinrui got dropped, I'm on episode 14 of Accel World and I feel like dropping it, Binbougami is alright. Sword Art isn't amazing - but it's consistent, whatever that's worth. The characters and the stories haven't impressed me at all, but its execution is great. The last episode, for example, was trivial shit... you couldn't write a more lazy script, and it was just another fetch quest for some single young female. But it was pleasant to watch. I enjoyed it. The world is colorful, the art is above average, and the OP and ED don't make want to hang myself. In short, I'll be sticking with it.

I started really liking Sword Art Online. I even genuinely enjoyed episode 2 which it seemed like 90% of the people here hated (I still find it odd that people found the pacing of it worse than episode 3 but whatevs). Lately though I've kinda been losing interest in the show. I love the world and atmosphere that it all takes place in and the MMO mechanics are really well done, but the stories and the overall plot is starting to grate on me. The whole story from the latest episode was honestly pretty bad.

Maybe it's because side-story progression or something but I'm kinda on the fence on dropping it but it's not like I have a lot of shows from this season I'm keeping up with anyhow.

Non-continuing seasonal shows included I find Jinrui to be my favorite from this season though I haven't been caught up on Natsuyuki Rendevous for a few episodes. I'm kinda considering starting up Kokoro Connect because reasons.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I started really liking Sword Art Online. I even genuinely enjoyed episode 2 which it seemed like 90% of the people here hated (I still find it odd that people found the pacing of it worse than episode 3 but whatevs). Lately though I've kinda been losing interest in the show. I love the world and atmosphere that it all takes place in and the MMO mechanics are really well done, but the stories and the overall plot is starting to grate on me. The whole story from the latest episode was honestly pretty bad.

Maybe it's because side-story progression or something but I'm kinda on the fence on dropping it but it's not like I have a lot of shows from this season I'm keeping up with anyhow.

Non-continuing seasonal shows included I find Jinrui to be my favorite from this season though I haven't been caught up on Natsuyuki Rendevous for a few episodes. I'm kinda considering starting up Kokoro Connect because reasons.

You should definitely start Kokoro Connect, it's one of my favorites of the season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair that was a very different time. Dubs were quite often rubbish, rushed, badly acted or incorrect (which made for some pretty entertaining stuff, from time to time). Now dubs tend to be relatively faithful and relatively boring.

That, I feel, can be a problem with modern dubbing. By being faithful and accurate you can lose some of them charm that older dubs could have. For example, no dub as amazing as this will ever made in the current climate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

I probably should sit down and watch some old school anime. Would probably be quite refreshing now.

Talking of bad dubs I've always had a morbid fascination with the idea of watching Warriors of the Wind. I've heard it's pretty bad and I fear Miyazaki himself would come around and slap me before I had a chance to press the play button. But most of all I fear it would ruin a film I love.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 12

This entire episode was basically one gif moment after another stitched together with the odd but of traditional animation so you might as well just watch the damn thing as making about 20 minutes worth of gifs is just... too much for one mere mortal to handle. Hell, everyone should watch this show as it needs to be seen and I really mean seen as you're not even getting half of it with the gifs.

So yeah, this is all your getting from me this week and if you want more then you're gonna have to watch it for yourself!

iS1l7MgbYRlmd.gif

iCwXd3uGxjgeZ.gif

Well, SHAFT isn't known for being the most financially robust of studios.

This is pretty much me in a nutshell but with my posting leaning mostly on the dumb silly stuff. :<

Couldnt have said it better myself.
Truer words have never been spoken!

Andrew J.

"Your argument is invalid because you like something I don't" is one of the lowest kinds of argumentation, a way of deflecting criticism without engaging it and turning discussions into wars between different camps of fanboys. (There was a similar post nearby about Hyouka and Kids on the Slope.)

What, that wasn't similar at all! I was just wrestling with my inner demons resulting from rating it so highly despite hardly enjoying any of it.

Really, I was hoping it would spark another "Quality vs. Entertainment" debate.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I secretly wish every post in the thread was about this long and packed with as much thought. Although I would prefer a couple of paragraphs here and there to break up the text.

I'd like to be able to write posts of this length or above but I am no longer a Student or Unemployed so I don't really have the time to craft posts of the same length or breadth that I once could. Spending thirty minutes to create a review of a single episode of a particular show is no longer feasible.

On the subject of the post your originally made with sparked this whole discussion; it's not hard to see why your original comments might have drawn that reaction. It's really hard to discern tone on the internet, especially when a post is relatively short and when it's located in the context of other posts that might actually be extremely dismissive and/or critical of other people and their opinions about anime. "You dislike this, therefore you opinion is invalid" is a fairly common argument on the internet, after all.

8zCrs.png

Novid

Banned
Kingdom 12

This entire episode was basically one gif moment after another stitched together with the odd but of traditional animation so you might as well just watch the damn thing as making about 20 minutes worth of gifs is just... too much for one mere mortal to handle. Hell, everyone should watch this show as it needs to be seen and I really mean seen as you're not even getting half of it with the gifs.

So yeah, this is all your getting from me this week and if you want more then you're gonna have to watch it for yourself!

iS1l7MgbYRlmd.gif

iCwXd3uGxjgeZ.gif

Kingdom is the most consistantly bad anime i seen in a long time.

cajunator

Banned
I feel the same about this forum too.
There is a nice balance of insightful descriptive posting and silly nonsense.
I think a successful forum needs to cater to both.
A lot of anime is made to be silly and should be discussed in that manner.
A lot of anime is also more serious and can be discussed at length.
Either way it provides for some entertaining and thought provoking posting that is the main reason I hang around here.

Cwarrior

HxH 2011- ep44

what an amazing episode am not sure what I did to be blessed with a remake of one best arc out there.

uYZA3.gif

Am so happy right now

Akio Ootsuka such great voice actor a perfect fit for Uvo the ultra manly man, his worked on some really cool characters in the past like blackbeard(from op),brain hawk(from ippo),captain Shunsui Kyoraku (from bleach) rider(from fate/zero) and also done blade(from blade the anime), doesn't get more awesome then this man sweet voice.

I don't know what's changed with madhouse but they really don't give a fuck about censoring anymore.

I haven't. The last 3 sports anime I watched (not counting the ones currently showing) were Big Windup, Whistle and Aoki Densetsu Shoot!

Not only the best sports anime but the best anime there is.

Any second you spend watching a sports anime that's not hajime no ippo your only doing a disservice to yourself.

it's one of the few animes that's a must see and worth making a big deal about when you meet someone that watches anime but hasn't seen it yet.

This goes to everyone here, go watch hajime no ippo.

Novid

Banned
HxH 2011- ep44

what an amazing episode am not sure what I did to be blessed with a remake of one best arc out there.

uYZA3.gif

Am so happy right now

Akio Ootsuka such great voice actor a perfect fit for uvo the ultra manly man, his worked on some really cool characters in the past like blackbeard(from op),brain hawk(from ippo),captain Shunsui Kyoraku (from bleach) rider(from fate/zero) and also done blade(from blade the anime).

I don't know what's changed with madhouse but they really don't give a fuck about censoring anymore.

Madhouse is in despration mode. Helps that they finally found the right balance for HxH now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I would say that there are only a handful of people I actually like and respect in AnimeGAF. The rest I either hate or feel neutral about. You know who you are. The community itself is batshit crazy though. LOL.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I would say that there are only a handful of people I actually like and respect in AnimeGAF. The rest I either hate or feel neutral about. You know who you are. The community itself is batshit crazy though. LOL.
Am I at least neutral in your book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom