• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I was disappointed that Mad Pierrot didn't even acknowledge it in his post, it's helping wash away the blight of that GC/BRS noitamina season.

I tend to forget about it because I'm not watching it. In spite of that, I don't doubt that it's still the best show of the season!

trejo

Kokoro Connect 7

I'm not really liking this arc a whole lot. I feel like a lot of the comedic elements that made the previous one more enjoyable have been cast aside to make way for a new premise that feels tailor-made specifically to provide the characters with an outlet for even more shitty angst and melodrama.

The worst part is that I think said premise could lend itself to some actually interesting scenarios if done right but the show hasn't really done a whole lot with it so far, opting instead to go with some rather trite and predictable character developments.

Also, Taichi's white knighting is starting to get full-on insufferable.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I should say that what the villain is doing is interesting, not that he's an interesting character. Yes, it is manufactured, and that's the point: he's putting them in strange and unusual positions to see how they adapt/react. If you don't like (or can't accept) the basic premise of the show, than it's not surprising you think it's over rated.
I accept it on some level. I do not think Kokoro Connect is an inherently bad show and it's something I actually tend to enjoy on a weekly basis. But it's something I enjoy because of the concept rather than the execution, which I consider to be fairly underwhelming.
as far as "real problems" go, depression, loneliness, bravado, and so on, are all real problems/emotions that exist.
And the manipulative supernatural puppet strings at play prevent them from manifesting or playing out in anything resembling reality even on an emotional level. I have no issue with supernatural elements pushing stories with these ideas and emotions, but they still need to be grounded in reason to really feel genuine. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is something that is supernatural in every sense, and often ethereal, but the emotions are drawn out from real problems. What Kokoro Connect pushes forward to deal with these emotions is rooted in these completely nonsensical situations presented by an evil presence (who isn't even very present) out for kicks.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I accept it on some level. I do not think Kokoro Connect is an inherently bad show and it's something I actually tend to enjoy on a weekly basis. But it's something I enjoy because of the concept rather than the execution, which I consider to be fairly underwhelming.

And the manipulative supernatural puppet strings at play prevent them from manifesting or playing out in anything resembling reality even on an emotional level. I have no issue with supernatural elements pushing stories with these ideas and emotions, but they still need to be grounded in reason to really feel genuine. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is something that is supernatural in every sense, and often ethereal, but the emotions are drawn out from real problems. What Kokoro Connect pushes forward to deal with these emotions is rooted in these completely nonsensical situations presented by an evil presence (who isn't even very present) out for kicks.

I disagree completely that Dusk Maiden had more realistic emotions/problems than Kokoro Connect, they were completely laughable in Dusk Maiden. But I've said my thoughts about Kokoro Connect, hopefully you can understand why some of us like it as much as we do.

Not for long. Fall is coming to reclaim newtaminA!

Ducky, not everyone is ready to embrace the CG future, despite the prophet Wonzo's great efforts.

trejo

I wouldn't go so far as to classify Heartseed as an "evil" character. He's more of a not-so-neutral observer. His motives are mysterious, sure, but for all we know he could have some perfectly valid reasons behind them!

Branduil

Ultimately, I think the current overwhelming ratio of fluff posts to serious posts is just a side effect of the fact that there ended up being virtually nothing this season that warrants any sort of serious discussion. After coming off spring, when shows like Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Fate/Zero, and even stuff like Mysterious Girlfriend X and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia were sources of endless discussion picking apart character relationships, speculating, examining the direction, etc, it became especially noticeable a couple of weeks into summer that nothing was going to fill that void after a scant few early prospects crashed and burned. Our only discussion-rich holdovers from Spring are Eureka Seven AO (whose discussions appear to be largely contained in the OT now) and Hyouka, and other than that there's just the constant discussion on Accel World/Sword Art Online which comprises a shockingly large percentage of the thread's content in spite of mostly being largely waifu wars/laughing at the shamelessness/etc. It's just the logical result of a dry season--can you imagine what would have happened to this thread if it had been this active in the infamous Summer of '09? 25k posts of Amagami waifu wars, 20k posts of YUKIMURA/OYAKATA-SAMAAAAAAA and 10k posts of the HSotD bullet-time tits gif.

Personally, I run the conversational gamut from "higher" to "lower" types of discussion pretty easily and can adapt to more or less of another, but I'd certainly rather see high-quality posts than not see them. It'll be fall in a few weeks, which means plenty of new chances for shows to warrant serious attention.

People need to take a hint from animeGAF in earlier days and use this weak season as an opportunity to watch older, better shows, such as Infinite Ryvius.

cajunator

Banned
I wouldn't go so far as to classify Heartseed as an "evil" character. He's more of a not-so-neutral observer. His motives are mysterious, sure, but for all we know he could have some perfectly valid reasons behind them!

Sounds like a Precure villain.

People need to take a hint from animeGAF in earlier days and use this weak season as an opportunity to watch older, better shows, such as Infinite Ryvius.

Is that a show worth buying??
I love sci fi shows so it should be worth it right?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I disagree completely that Dusk Maiden had more realistic emotions/problems than Kokoro Connect, they were completely laughable in Dusk Maiden. But I've said my thoughts about Kokoro Connect, hopefully you can understand why some of us like it as much as we do.
Dusk Maiden is rooted in a real problem though.
It all traces back to disease and the issues that arise from the inability to deal with it.
This is a legitimate problem. Kokoro Connect creates conflict through...the pleasure whims of a supernatural being.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I thought that this was going to be a backlog season for me, but somehow I ended up watching as many shows this season as I did in spring. Unlike spring, however, I'm not actually enjoying anything that I'm watching right now, so it's a lot of time for no benefit. I really need to learn how to drop things again.

Branduil

Is that a show worth buying??
I love sci fi shows so it should be worth it right?

It definitely is. I'm sure you've spent money on worse shows. And there's :cajun as well:

ibsTeGGpoIm2Fa.jpg

ibk2fmWGN0r8Ub.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sounds like a Precure villain.

Not really; Precure villains are generically megalomaniacal with some kind of vendetta against whatever principles the protagonists are defending that particular season.

Whoever this Heartseed is, he just sounds like someone who uses mystical powers to perform unethical social experiments on other people. I guess I should catch up with Kokoro Connect soon so that I actually know what I'm talking about.

But Summer 2010 was the first modern animeGAF thread.

The origin of our tradition of suffering is suddenly clear.

Not really; Precure villains are generically megalomaniacal with some kind of vendetta against whatever principles the protagonists are defending that particular season.

Whoever this Heartseed is, he just sounds like someone who uses mystical powers to perform unethical social experiments on other people. I guess I should catch up with Kokoro Connect soon so that I actually know what I'm talking about.

For kokoro , you're not far from the truth as heartseed said it does it to not be bored.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
One of the things that I miss the most about early-mid 00s anime are space/mecha anime with Hirai Hisashi character designs. Dude deserved a better last gasp than Kurogane no Linebarrels.

Branduil

One of the things that I miss the most about early-mid 00s anime are space/mecha anime with Hirai Hisashi character designs. Dude deserved a better last gasp than Kurogane no Linebarrels.

I don't, his character design is awful. Infinite Ryvius is the only anime where I can actually tolerate his work. Gundam SEED's character design makes me feel ill.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 5-7

Continuing my random catching up on this season's series. It didn't really seem like a whole lot happened in these 3 episodes besides Yuuya and Yui butting heads, with Cryska getting into the mix in episode 7. That said, I'm still interested in seeing where the development of the Yuuya/Yui relationship goes.

The mecha part of the show is pretty average...the designs aren't doing much for me and the CG isn't really helping. I guess I still prefer hand drawn mecha as the CG doesn't really mesh too well to me.

Nafe

De aru!

Although Kobayashi is mostly a minor side character. :(

Darn. :(
I got excited there for a moment because I didn't know Kobayashi was in Gintama.
Well, I'll take a little Kobayashi over no Kobayashi.

http://i.imgur.com/qAGsvl.png[IMG]

Reknoc said that an episode of GCCX had "video game karuta" and sure enough, there it is. lol
Instead of trying to slap poems, the reader is reading the tag line for the game and you have to find the right game. Maybe in a thousand years, that'll be how people play the game!

(Also, guess what game is referred to in that caption!)[/QUOTE]

I'm going to guess either [spoiler]Zelda or Dragon Quest[/spoiler]
I also hope this isn't the future of video games :(
...Although I think Nintendo started out as some sort of card game company or something? I'll have to go double check later.

[quote="Mad Pierrot, post: 41259067"]AnimeGAF was my last stop on the internet before deciding to give up attempting to discuss anime with other people forever. After several years of joining and leaving various anime forums due to having nothing in common with other members, I'm fairly certain that "mostly populated by 12 year olds" applies to [I]all[/I] other places for anime discussion on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm glad you stuck around :)
Especially with all that accidental permanent ban business when you had the name Ulysses. At least you got that worked out instead of saying "forget it" and then AnimeGaf would have been without a Mad Pierrot :(

[quote="Chet Rippo, post: 41259473"]Age doesn't determine maturity. *looks at animation students sitting next to him[/QUOTE]

It's funny, based of how and what I talk about, many people think I'm a few years older than I really am if we're only communicating through phone or email or something but if someone sees me personally they think I'm a few years younger based on personal appearance.

[quote="Mad Pierrot, post: 41262566"]Let's see if AnimeGAF can effortlessly defuse discussions that cause entire anime forums to collapse in on themselves.

dub or sub BOOM DISCUSS[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard an English dub in years but I personally preferred Japanese audio. There are naturally some exceptions with good dubs or dubs that are maybe "so bad they're good" and present a different, possibly unoriginally intended form of entertainment. I find a dub may miss some of the finer inflections or nuances in the original native language.

While this may be going a bit outside your original question I usually prefer the language native to whatever country a particular piece may have been created. If I'm watching a German movie then I'd prefer to hear the original German actors and actresses.

Going back to dubs and missing nuances, it might not be that the voice actors or actresses are necessarily bad but the script or translation they have to work with is bad or is missing original meanings which opens up the whole other debate that goes on of "Interpretation vs Translation?", which I won't get into.

[quote="OceanBlue, post: 41263752"]I think you can get more discussion for more obscure anime in bigger forums if you can find a small group of people that like it. Animesuki is a forum I've browsed for much longer than NeoGAF and a recent example there of a relatively obscure anime that received a little bit of discussion, although even then it still went relatively unnoticed, was [B]Nekogami Yaoyorozu.[/B] It managed to find a small group of open-minded people that could keep up at least some sort of discussion.[/QUOTE]

I remember first hearing about this show through AnimeGaf. I haven't seen it yet but some people here were posting impressions of it as it was airing. I remember mostly positive impressions, or at least they started positive and maybe as the show went on people found it more average, I can't remember.

[quote="Chet Rippo, post: 41267992"]I can't link a screen of it for obvious reasons, but it has to do with a bare chest, spilled milk, and a bunch of thirsty cats.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Well it figures it would be something like that based on the nature of the show.

[quote="Envelope, post: 41268250"]I didn't know there were any supporters of A-Channel besides firehawk* and I!

*[spoiler]a conditional supporter, who acknowledges the fact that A-channel is superior to Yuru Yuri[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I like A Channel for the mono no aware stuff too :)
I also liked it for getting to hear [B]Aoi Yuuki[/B] and [B]Minako Kotobuki[/B].

Actually, the seiyuu for Nagisa is doing the voice for Momiji in [B]Binbogami-Ga![/B] right now. I think her name is [B]Yumi Uchiyama[/B]

[quote="Mandoric, post: 41273470"]You rang?[/QUOTE]

Exactly, clearly this thread needs more [B]Mandoric[/B].

[quote="cajunator, post: 41274783"]That looks promising. Thing is, I already watch and rewatch lots of older anime. Thats the main reason why i have huge backlogs of newer anime. Maybe it means something.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what episode are you up to in [B]Sailor Moon[/B]?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't, his character design is awful. Infinite Ryvius is the only anime where I can actually tolerate his work. Gundam SEED's character design makes me feel ill.

I became an anime fan watching Gundam SEED and s-CRY-ed so I'm kind of hard-wired to like them even if they're decidedly dated.

cajunator

Banned
Nafe I stopped at episode 25 of Sailor Moon. I am now caught up on Accel world and hyouka so maybe I can finish a few more episodes after Fractale.

Branduil

I became an anime fan watching Gundam SEED and s-CRY-ed so I'm kind of hard-wired to like them even if they're decidedly dated.

Hirai takes sameface syndrome to new levels in his later works. Everyone has the same glassy-eyed stare and smug grin. It's awful. Plus his hair kind of sucks too.

duckroll

A couple sci fi shows Ive been curious about:
Argentosoma and Geneshaft.
What are these shows like?

Argento Soma is a post-Eva style mecha series which has a lot of the familiar plot points you would find in such shows. It's relatively serious and grim, there's a special international task force, there are mysterious monster-of-the-week aliens trying to reach a certain destination, there's a ton of tech jargon, etc. The unique element here is that the series is also a loose reimagination of Frankenstein. The main weapon the team has against the aliens is a giant alien of sorts called Frank, who seems to only respond to the emotions of a little girl. The main character also has a personal grudge against Frank, so while they are using Frank as a tool to fight their enemies, he also hopes to somehow get Frank killed for his revenge.

I don't really think it was all that good. There were some clever ideas and themes here and there, but the overall series wasn't very enjoyable, the pacing was off, the characters were pretty unlikable, and it felt really derivative of Evangelion in ways which didn't benefit the show's originality. The animation wasn't that great either.

Geneshaft is a scifi thriller set on a spaceship involving themes of genetic engineering and espionage/intrigue. There's a lot of obvious early CG work which looked kinda bad even back then. The cast of characters were kinda interesting but the show was rather dry. It also presented itself as a hard scifi story, but it went for a lot of unrealistic and silly stuff to try and raise the tension and excitement especially in action scenes. The most notable thing about it was probably that this is Kazuki Akane's first show with Satelight. Otherwise, I don't really have much to recommend from this show either.

cajunator

Banned
So have any of you seen Argentosoma or Geneshaft?
Ok thanks Duckroll.

Im looking for some of those 90s era sci fi shows like that so if I find those shows for cheap i might pick them up.
Otherwise Infinite ryvius and scryed sound promosing. My roomates watched scryed and seemed to like it.
Im thinking of some others in this genre but cant remember names.

duckroll

Hirai Hisashi did that?

For all that complaints I've heard about the variety, or lack thereof, of his character designs, the only characters that look really similar to me are the ones from the Gundam SEEDs and Fafner.

He pretty much expended all his ability on character variety in sCRYed and Ryvius imo. After that it was all downhill. SEED, Fafter, Heroic Age, Olynssis, Linebarrels. It was all clone after clone of the same goddamn characters. :(

Branduil

He pretty much expended all his ability on character variety in sCRYed and Ryvius imo. After that it was all downhill. SEED, Fafter, Heroic Age, Olynssis, Linebarrels. It was all clone after clone of the same goddamn characters. :(

Yeah, that's the weird thing. Infinite Ryvius has a ton of characters, but there's plenty of variety in the character design, so you never get confused. I probably won't ever call the designs great, but they work and they never detract from the show. Somewhere around the time of Gundam Seed he started making every character look the same while also amping up all of his idiosyncrasies.

duckroll

I watched a bit of Argento Soma. It bored me to tears and I don't think I ever quite figured out what the show was about.

I finished all of it. It was kinda a #hatewatch with a friend except it was super oldschool because I did this like a decade ago, and it was with a good friend irl. He ended up liking it too. :(

Space Brothers 13:
Mutta is such a dynamic protagonist. I love how he can provide absolute hilarity at one moment, and then give some thought provoking responses the next. His
air abacus fail
was laugh out loud funny, but then he turns around and gives a really great response to the question towards the end of the episode. Nitta's monologues throughout the episode were good, too. He's a great contrast to Mutta and Furuya who are constantly overreacting to things and getting really worked up.

Kagami

Kokoro Connect 7

I'm not really liking this arc a whole lot.
The new gimmick itself is definitely less interesting than the first one.

But unlike a lot of people who started praising this show around epsiode 3, I liked it a lot from the very first 12 minutes (the NicoNico Ep 1 Part 1 pre-air preview) just because of the characters and their interactions (character design, character animation, dialog, VA), so I have faith it'll keep my interest with that even if the gimmick doesn't lend itself to amusing "what if" situations nearly as much as the first arc.

If this arc actually causes the characters to change in noticeable ways that are carried over into the next arc, that would be quite satisfying, but that's a lot to ask from most light novels, as they tend to prefer static characters and relationships that can be dragged on indefinitely. The
Taichi and Inori relationship carried over from the first arc though (it's shaky, but it's not a reset anyway), and Aoki and Yui seem to potentially going somewhere as well
so I'm tentatively hopeful.

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 13:
Mutta is such a dynamic protagonist. I love how he can provide absolute hilarity at one moment, and then give some thought provoking responses the next. His
air abacus fail
was laugh out loud funny, but then he turns around and gives a really great response to the question towards the end of the episode. Nitta's monologues throughout the episode were good, too. He's a great contrast to Mutta and Furuya who are constantly overreacting to things and getting really worked up.

Mutta is such an incredibly likeable character to root for.
I really have enjoyed Space Bros and for me to follow any show that long I have to like it considerably.

Kagami

Finally caught up on reading this thread.
Now I just need to catch up on shows I'm watching so I can post a list war post evaluating all of them.

Mutta is such an incredibly likeable character to root for.
I really have enjoyed Space Bros and for me to follow any show that long I have to like it considerably.

Indeed. It's rare to have a lead character as refreshingly likable as Mutta. He has character traits that you sometimes see in more obnoxious characters, but these traits are played in a completely different way with him. His facial expressions are also world class, and have a personality all to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom