• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
The only interest cajun might have in Argento Soma is this:

3AVBJ.png

I may have more interest since it is sci fi.
I ended up getting a boxset of Starship Operators for cheap.
I heard it was harder sci fi so Im excited to watch that one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
He pretty much expended all his ability on character variety in sCRYed and Ryvius imo. After that it was all downhill. SEED, Fafter, Heroic Age, Olynssis, Linebarrels. It was all clone after clone of the same goddamn characters. :(

I'll agree on everything post-SEED, but SEED itself still had a fair amount of variety. Kira and Athrun were basically the same character with different hair, but most of the secondary characters retained some level of individuality.

Getting back to what I originally said about Hirai, I was speaking from a standpoint of nostalgia. I learned the hard way earlier this year that I now hate a lot of the things that made me enjoy the Hirai stuff that I watched years ago to begin with when I marathoned Fafner and it was one of the worst things I've ever watched. Hirai mecha series are all about teen angst and forced tragedy, and I'm kind of scared to ever watch Gundam SEED again because I don't want my fond teenage memories to be ruined.

cajunator

Banned
I'll agree on everything post-SEED, but SEED itself still had a fair amount of variety. Kira and Athrun were basically the same character with different hair, but most of the secondary characters retained some level of individuality.

Getting back to what I originally said about Hirai, I was speaking from a standpoint of nostalgia. I learned the hard way earlier this year that I now hate a lot of the things that made me enjoy the Hirai stuff that I watched years ago to begin with when I marathoned Fafner and it was one of the worst things I've ever watched. Hirai mecha series are all about teen angst and forced tragedy, and I'm kind of scared to ever watch Gundam SEED again because I don't want my fond teenage memories to be ruined.

Oh yeah Fafner was another show I was going to ask about.
There are still more though. They made a ton of sci fi series in the 90s

Narag

She and her Cat

A wonderful five minute OVA about a cat describing his life and owner. I didn't even realize this was Makoto Shinkai again until the end. I'd been meaning to check his stuff out after catching his name in here so often but it's weird I ended up picking two of his works to watch today without realizing.

ucybTl.png
czKLCl.png
MGt0Ul.png

I see what was meant earlier about his affection towards backgrounds too.

Mandoric

Banned
Hidamari Sketch x365 9.1

The Kaiji narrator really does make everything better.

She is momentarily pleased by it, leading to a fragment of a memory that later inspires a sketch.
She is momentarily pleased by it, leading to a fragment of a memory that later inspires a sketch!
She is momentarily pleased by it, leading to a fragment of a memory that later inspires a sketch!!!

... Doesn't quiiiiiiiite have the same ring, but hey.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Unico and the Isle of Magic (rewatch):

Unico.jpg

I've been very unmotivated to do anything today (very Oreki-esque), so finally after hours of doing nothing I decided to watch an old-school anime from my childhood.

Unico and the Isle of Magic is probably the first anime I ever remember watching, despite being completely unaware that the show was from Japan. Or being aware of what Japan was, more likely. Anyway, this movie holds great memories for me so my opinion is biased as fuck, but this is likely where I get my love of all things cute. I mean geez, it's a Tezuka x Sanrio production how could it NOT be cute? It's funny how I find the idea of the living puppets in this movie a lot more disturbing as an adult than I ever did as a kid.

I'm amazed at how watchable I still find this movie, though the bit with the baby demons carried on longer than it needed. >>; The animation is quite lovely and is filled with all of the magic I've always loved about anime. Great color coordination and sequences, especially the trippy dance sequence and the ending clash with Lord Kuruku.

<3 this movie. ^^;

cajunator

Banned
Unico and the Isle of Magic (rewatch):

Unico.jpg

I've been very unmotivated to do anything today (very Oreki-esque), so finally after hours of doing nothing I decided to watch an old-school anime from my childhood.

Unico and the Isle of Magic is probably the first anime I ever remember watching, despite being completely unaware that the show was from Japan. Or being aware of what Japan was, more likely. Anyway, this movie holds great memories for me so my opinion is biased as fuck, but this is likely where I get my love of all things cute. I mean geez, it's a Tezuka x Sanrio production how could it NOT be cute? It's funny how I find the idea of the living puppets in this movie a lot more disturbing as an adult than I ever did as a kid.

I'm amazed at how watchable I still find this movie, though the bit with the baby demons carried on longer than it needed. >>; The animation is quite lovely and is filled with all of the magic I've always loved about anime. Great color coordination and sequences, especially the trippy dance sequence and the ending clash with Lord Kuruku.

<3 this movie. ^^;

Yeah I bought the movies recently and I must have watched both of them three times each already. So much twisted cuteness.

Finally got the No. 6 blu ray today and other stuff...but Safu on the disc art is :( ugh. Guess Ill start rewatching immediately.
tumblr_m94pv9U5mQ1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

One Piece 173 - 182

Bah funimation, putting the last episode on the set the one where Luffy finally faces Eneru (in the last two minutes of the episode, seriously?)...Based on that last two minutes, this fight looks like it may be more impressive than it was in the manga. Pretty hyped to finally see it, I guess next month when the set comes out.

Overall the arc has just been not that great, useless backstory on characters we dont care about, lots of screentime of folks no one wants either.

She and her Cat

A wonderful five minute OVA about a cat describing his life and owner. I didn't even realize this was Makoto Shinkai again until the end. I'd been meaning to check his stuff out after catching his name in here so often but it's weird I ended up picking two of his works to watch today without realizing.

Don't neglect to watch Shinkai's glorious short about cats in Ani*Kuri15!

Including Persona 4 Arena.

You won't tempt me to buy another fighting game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah I bought the movies recently and I must have watched both of them three times each already. So much twisted cuteness.

This and the third one, right? I don't think the first one came to America because it was considered too dark. ;_;

Ultimadrago

There's someone else with a Yuuko avatar floating around and I keep thinking it's you.

Jibbajabbawockky?

Yeah, they're cool peoples.

People need to take a hint from animeGAF in earlier days and use this weak season as an opportunity to watch older, better shows, such as Infinite Ryvius.

Seriously, I find this screenshot quite entertaining.
It alone made me curious about the show.

Of course.

Okay, you gave more.

Branduil

Japan = Korea = America = France

Therefore anime.

You should watch another cute animal movie
with ideas that would disturb adults as well as children
made by Sanrio: Ringing Bell aka Chirin no Suzu.

Can you say no to that face? Or this one?

These screencaps always make me think of Lambert the Sheepish Lion.

No. 6 ep 1 - 2 (Dubwatch rewatch
The dub is pretty good, especially for Nezumi, or rather as they say, "Rat". It took awhile to get used to that since I was used to Nezumi in the manga and subs when it was airing, as well as getting used to Greg A for Shion, which definitely takes a few scenes to get used to. But beyond that I thought everything was well done. All my favorite scenes in english were great, like Shion and Nezumi's bed scene and holding hands scene in ep 1, as well as that awkward Sperm moment with Safu. Also still loved this moment
tumblr_lw6zlt0t2s1qaurswo1_500.gif

Completely forgot Aimer did the ending song, which sounded good too. Just two episodes in and this set is definitely worth the $60 Sentai wanted. Cant wait for a certain scene in 3.

Nafe

Sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only person Nafe never quotes. :(

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm reading all your posts at least. I'm one of those crazy ones who attempt to read through the entire thread. I just unfortunately haven't really had anything I feel is interesting to add to your posts. It must just mean you're a good public speaker.

Hanafuda cards.

It was in the OVA if you were wondering.

Ah right, that's what it was.

I actually saw the OVA too and still can't remember that scene. I remember it was about a guy who was running some weird cult with exercise machines that would milk girls to give him powers for revenge against getting kicked out of being a qwaser or some strange plot like that.

Fantastic Children. :p

Oh, so Fantastic Children is a scifi show then?

I don't know anything about it other than putting on my list of shows to take a look at based on your recommendations.

I learned the hard way earlier this year that I now hate a lot of the things that made me enjoy the Hirai stuff that I watched years ago to begin with when I marathoned Fafner and it was one of the worst things I've ever watched.

I remember liking Fafner when I saw it years ago but everyone here seems to hate it so maybe it's just nostalgia talking for me too I wonder?

ANN had a story about a Fafner sequel being green lit via a twitter message but I haven't heard anything since.
Fafner sequel mention

She and her Cat

When you posted about Voices of a Distant Star I was going to ask if you had seen this. This was actually my first Shinkai piece that I'd seen. Actually I've only seen this and Voices so far but I intend to watch all of them.

It is a interesting piece though, with Shinkai I think doing most things himself again. Getting things from the perception of the cat was interesting too. Like you mentioned, nice background art too.

Don't neglect to watch Shinkai's glorious short about cats in Ani*Kuri15!

Interesting, thanks for telling me about this, or reminding me if it was posted in a Anime OT before.

That makes two of us!

It's nice knowing people want me to talk with them :)
Honestly I've been wondering how many have really been reading my posts since the thread moves at such a fast pace.

I'm sure we'll find something to discuss more about in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom