• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, you're missing out on a lot of crucial plot if you don't watch TLR first.

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Horizon - 20
sVQU0l.jpg
Of course he is ..it wouldn't be as fun if he wasn't !

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Do you need to watch To Love Ru to understand Motto to Loveru?

Not really, Motto TLR is much much much better than TLR, so I would just jump in with Motto. I think the first episode even has a "introduce everyone for people who didn't watch the first season" section, but I could be mistaken about that. Either way, whether you choose to watch the first season or not, definitely watch Motto.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ultimately, I think the current overwhelming ratio of fluff posts to serious posts is just a side effect of the fact that there ended up being virtually nothing this season that warrants any sort of serious discussion. After coming off spring, when shows like Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Fate/Zero, and even stuff like Mysterious Girlfriend X and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia were sources of endless discussion picking apart character relationships, speculating, examining the direction, etc, it became especially noticeable a couple of weeks into summer that nothing was going to fill that void after a scant few early prospects crashed and burned. Our only discussion-rich holdovers from Spring are Eureka Seven AO (whose discussions appear to be largely contained in the OT now) and Hyouka, and other than that there's just the constant discussion on Accel World/Sword Art Online which comprises a shockingly large percentage of the thread's content in spite of mostly being largely waifu wars/laughing at the shamelessness/etc. It's just the logical result of a dry season--can you imagine what would have happened to this thread if it had been this active in the infamous Summer of '09? 25k posts of Amagami waifu wars, 20k posts of YUKIMURA/OYAKATA-SAMAAAAAAA and 10k posts of the HSotD bullet-time tits gif.

Personally, I run the conversational gamut from "higher" to "lower" types of discussion pretty easily and can adapt to more or less of another, but I'd certainly rather see high-quality posts than not see them. It'll be fall in a few weeks, which means plenty of new chances for shows to warrant serious attention.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
32, probably get back to marathon it soon, if I can stop getting distracted by other mangas/fanfics :( Its more plot focused than Im used to so I have to be in the mood for it.

You should read SAO. You know what. I need to show AnimeGAF the greatness that is SAO.

Ultimately, I think the current overwhelming ratio of fluff posts to serious posts is just a side effect of the fact that there ended up being virtually nothing this season that warrants any sort of serious discussion. After coming off spring, when shows like Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Fate/Zero, and even stuff like Mysterious Girlfriend X and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia were sources of endless discussion picking apart character relationships, speculating, examining the direction, etc, it became especially noticeable a couple of weeks into summer that nothing was going to fill that void after a scant few early prospects crashed and burned. Our only discussion-rich holdovers from Spring are Eureka Seven AO (whose discussions appear to be largely contained in the OT now) and Hyouka, and other than that there's just the constant discussion on Accel World/Sword Art Online which comprises a shockingly large percentage of the thread's content in spite of mostly being largely waifu wars/laughing at the shamelessness/etc. It's just the logical result of a dry season--can you imagine what would have happened to this thread if it had been this active in the infamous Summer of '09? 25k posts of Amagami waifu wars, 20k posts of YUKIMURA/OYAKATA-SAMAAAAAAA and 10k posts of the HSotD bullet-time tits gif.

Personally, I run the conversational gamut from "higher" to "lower" types of discussion pretty easily and can adapt to more or less of another, but I'd certainly rather see high-quality posts than not see them. It'll be fall in a few weeks, which means plenty of new chances for shows to warrant serious attention.

Don't you dare diss AW/SAO!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
YuruYuri and Kokoro Connect are the best this season.
Not to try and devalue the opinions of others, but Kokoro Connect kind of seems like the "overrated" show of the season. Not to say it is without merit or anything, but I typically find its construction to be rather poor, and the plot regularly quite stupid. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure what people are seeing in it to clock it in as anything other than acceptable.
I am just sitting on a pile of deep dissections of Kono Naka Ni Hitori, Imouto Ga Iru! that I'm simply too embarrassed to post.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not to try and devalue the opinions of others, but Kokoro Connect kind of seems like the "overrated" show of the season. Not to say it is without merit or anything, but I typically find its construction to be rather poor, and the plot regularly quite stupid. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure what people are seeing in it to clock it in as anything other than acceptable.

I agree. KC is pretty good but I'd say it's overhyped. Same with SAO.

Theonik

Princess Nine!
anyway, since Theonik brought it up earler,
it seems I will be stuck with library internet til Thursday. :(
Nakama! Also, really sucks but eh, 2 more days.

Kokoro Connect is my favorite anime this season and by a fair margin.

Of course the only shows I've watched so far are Kokoro Connect, Yuru Yuri S2, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Binbougami ga! and I'm actually enjoying all of them.
I've only seen YuruYuri S2 this season but all those are on my list as well as the two J shows and maybe checking out Tari Tari.
The bulimia posts intrigued me so I want to see how they handled that

Not really, Motto TLR is much much much better than TLR, so I would just jump in with Motto. I think the first episode even has a "introduce everyone for people who didn't watch the first season" section, but I could be mistaken about that. Either way, whether you choose to watch the first season or not, definitely watch Motto.
Or you can jump straight into darkness like I did. Honestly you aren't missing that much.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

It's a unique twist on a genre that has otherwise been reserved soley for out and out comedies, has a healthy dose of entertaining angst/drama, an interesting villain who helps guide the plot and cast without resorting to overbearing exposition, and a cast with enough variety and depth to support the story. Although each individual aspect of it has been done dozens of times in other ways, the combination here feels remarkably fresh, and interesting. The emotional trials the characters face are indeed rather common, but they are real problems that many people do face, and the fact they're generally defused in an entertaining and comic way at the end of each episode helps prevent it from feeling like, say, a key show or Anohana in how much drama there really is.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 4

Dear God.

I think the reason I have so much fun watching this show is the fact that Hazuki reminds me of myself. I'd so go out and get drunk in a hurry like he did in that situation, haha.

And now shit's going down. Welp.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I feel like people were caught off-guard by Kokoro Connect. It's not uncommon for me to like regular shows that I thought would be crap more than regular shows I knew would be regular from the start.

I tend to agree with this sentiment, but I still find myself really enjoying the show anyway. When I think rationally about it, most of the issues the characters have would make me roll my eyes and scream "Forced dorama" at the top of my lungs; and it is forced drama. I guess since there is an actual plot device creating the forced drama it makes it acceptable to me?...

I don't really know. All I know is dat Inaban!

cajunator

Banned
I cant help nut lie awake sometimes and ponder how the fix'd meme started and what monster was responsible for it.
This is the cause of many sleepless days.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I liked this enough to watch all of it, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to spend money to see an OVA.
Maybe it'll wind up on streaming at some point.

Although this part is certainly promising:
sSQdg.png

It would help if you would at least provide a translation with that, you know. :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's a unique twist on a genre that has otherwise been reserved soley for out and out comedies, has a healthy dose of entertaining angst/drama, an interesting villain who helps guide the plot and cast without resorting to overbearing exposition, and a cast with enough variety and depth to support the story. Although each individual aspect of it has been done dozens of times in other ways, the combination here feels remarkably fresh, and interesting. The emotional trials the characters face are indeed rather common, but they are real problems that many people do face, and the fact they're generally defused in an entertaining and comic way at the end of each episode helps prevent it from feeling like, say, a key show or Anohana in how much drama there really is.
An interesting villain? Please. Heartseed is the literal incarnation of lazily constructed evil. He has no personality, no motivations, and no real character, he is simply a poorly crafted excuse to create dilemma. Which is really what Kokoro Connect keeps coming back to: it feels fabricated in the most boring and uninteresting manner on every level, and it is so bluntly constructed as a story that it lacks any sort of subtlety or tact in its handling of anything.

I don't even understand how these could be interpreted as "real problems" even. Really I think the only possibility is that we are watching completely different shows.

Instro

I don't think there's another show as good as Natsuyuki this season.

Yeah I would say its pretty much had this season to itself as far as new summer shows go. Tari Tari has been pretty good, but certainly Natsuyuki has been a cut above everything else.

Of course
it's no Hyouka

madp

The Light of El Cantare
also, in previous post, meant Summer '10, not Summer '09.

Between Bake, Aoi Hana, Spice & Wolf II, and Canaan, it would have been an interesting summer for the current AnimeGAF to say the least, hahah.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
An interesting villain? Please. Heartseed is the literal incarnation of lazily constructed evil. He has no personality, no motivations, and no real character, he is simply a poorly crafted excuse to create dilemma. Which is really what Kokoro Connect keeps coming back to: it feels fabricated in the most boring and uninteresting manner on every level, and it is so bluntly constructed as a story that it lacks any sort of subtlety or tact in its handling of anything.

I don't even understand how these could be interpreted as "real problems" even. Really I think the only possibility is that we are watching completely different shows.

I should say that what the villain is doing is interesting, not that he's an interesting character. Yes, it is manufactured, and that's the point: he's putting them in strange and unusual positions to see how they adapt/react. If you don't like (or can't accept) the basic premise of the show, than it's not surprising you think it's over rated.

as far as "real problems" go, depression, loneliness, bravado, and so on, are all real problems/emotions that exist. Of course, they do come with a side of angst and dorama, and I'm enjoying it for once in this show, due in part to the defusing that goes on at the end of every arc, as I mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom