• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I didn't mean it like that. :-( I just keep thinking that if I were a business man who's working in a field that isn't notorious for extremely high profits and sales from the outset, I'd want to do everything in my power to maximize my sales. Having a single for an anime being performed by Mizuki Nana would probably sell much more than a single from Hanazawa Kanna, thereby bringing more money to the project. I'm not sure how that's dumb?

Because 90% of the time anime tie-ups are actually supposed to promote the artistes instead of pay superstars to perform sure sellers. The record companies are the ones produce most of the anime in the first place. They already know certain artistes will sell even without any anime connection. Haven't you noticed that most anime songs are performed by newer singers and bands? That's how they gain popularity and expand their fanbase. Sounds like you would make a very shitty anime business man!!

Andrew J.

Eureka Seven A0 17

Fucking finally, we get some serious worldbuilding! You think they could have explained some of this stuff in the first five or ten episodes.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Because 90% of the time anime tie-ups are actually supposed to promote the artistes instead of pay superstars to perform sure sellers. The record companies are the ones produce most of the anime in the first place. They already know certain artistes will sell even without any anime connection. Haven't you noticed that most anime songs are performed by newer singers and bands? That's how they gain popularity and expand their fanbase. Sounds like you would make a very shitty anime business man!!

Alright. I guess I'm wrong. I apologize. orz

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Look at that ugly, shiny, cheap looking background art. That's the kind of bad background art that plagues far too many shows today.

Cheap... sterile, lifeless b/g art - in every scene. One of the reasons I dropped Space Bros.. If you're not going to give me an interesting story, AND you're going to force clean hallways and blank blank walls down my throat why am I watching you!?

If I were in SAO I'd make sure my tea making skills were at maximum

Fuck tea... COFFEE!!

wait, we already went through this didn't we? D:

*runs away from the ignorant tea mobs*

I dont understand this. Natsu's moves as a Fire Dragonslayer, are all fire based, whether its wings or claws, or roar and more, yet you say Gray, the ice mage who only uses Stationary Ice Make magic, uses different techniques? Both are using their techniques in the same way. Can you clarify I guess?

Yeah, Natsu does have different attacks, but they pretty much all do the same thing. There's really only one instance I can think of where he used his attacks in a creative way, and that's when he used the flame as a thruster to propel him through the dog guy's barrier.

Gray on the other hand, is generally more strategic in general, and it doesn't feel like an asspull like some other wins. The fight with Ultear might be the only believable win in the S class exam arc because they were both in the ocean when he beat her, and that doesn't even take into account the blood freezing he used to counter her time powers.

BluWacky

Btooom is seinen.

My apologies. The rest still stands IMO - they throw cuboid bombs made of bad CG at each other, the art looks flat too me (when I can see it in the ridiculous darkness of that PV), and it's all just people looking angry and ready to fight each other with no sense of style or place. Except the girl smiles in a school uniform for a bit!

I had a look at the manga and I understand it's some kind of Battle Royale-esque thing except they're all people who were really good at an online game? I guess it must have some room for battle tactics but I don't enjoy this kind of thing in the way you do as it always takes forever for them to get on with it.

The art's much better in the manga, though, I'll give it that.

BluWacky

Utena 39 (END)

Silly Utena! Of course you became a prince, otherwise the Swords wouldn't have turned on you!

So that was great, unsurprisingly. Who knew a bunch of scrawled pencil lines going round in a circle could be so impressive? I'm surprised at how similar to the Penguindrum ending it is - I guess the core themes of the shows are much closer than I thought in how they deal with
sacrifice and punishment

Akio is a fool. A man whose very existence is a metaphor and illusion who couldn't even understand that the Power of Dios itself never really existed. The other Duellists all understand in the end - hence the badminton match conversation talked about earlier in the thread - and Utena's revolution brings them what they wanted.

I want to go back to university and sit in my friends' rooms and babble about this show again now that I've finally seen the whole thing. It's a shame they've all moved on from anime now :(

I still have Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion to watch, though, before I can finally catch up with the rest of the world on "essential 90s anime"...

My apologies. The rest still stands IMO - they throw cuboid bombs made of bad CG at each other, the art looks flat too me (when I can see it in the ridiculous darkness of that PV), and it's all just people looking angry and ready to fight each other with no sense of style or place. Except the girl smiles in a school uniform for a bit!

I had a look at the manga and I understand it's some kind of Battle Royale-esque thing except they're all people who were really good at an online game? I guess it must have some room for battle tactics but I don't enjoy this kind of thing in the way you do as it always takes forever for them to get on with it.

The art's much better in the manga, though, I'll give it that.

I don't know, Btooom is pretty well paced. Fights don't usually last that long and the tactics are generally a quick and concise, with the more in-depth ones being explained after the fact.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, I see. Closest one is Maka from Soul Eater I guess. Does female Ranma count?
Ranma is... hrm. I honestly don't know. lol

Gintama anime news: http://www.sunrise-anime.jp/news/gintama/#5629

The official site confirms that Gintama is coming back on Oct 4, and that the broadcast will include both "new episodes and specially selected episode reruns". There will also be a new Gintama movie in 2013.
How Haruhi S2 of them. I hope there's an Endless 8!

Arcana Famiglia 9
tumblr_m9dgzvHZSY1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Really liked the episode for the plot and all the revelations. The best moment was, apart from the Liberta Nova moments, the Jolly
finally taking off his sunglasses in one scene, wow

Mondo (papa) has the best card and all his moments were so good, especially that backstory. Didn't know Jolly was with him even as a teen.
that whole scene of contracting with the Torocco, and then choosing the world as all the other cards flew was so impressive. I didn't know he was bearing such a burden like that, but all for protecting others is nice

Still think that Ojousama is close on the edge of being overpowered.
How does she get not only Lovers but La Ruota Della Fortuna, with that impressive ability. Though I guess with such an ability comes great consequence, and I think shes about to do something not smart. Her memories will be lost all for the sake of papa, surely theres another way?

Surely were still a month or so away from the Duello with all these outstanding issues, 3 or so episodes left, hopefully it gets 12 more episodes...

Joe Molotov

Who will he be when he finally escapes SAO? This seems like the highlight of his life. Will he simply kill himself because he will never ever be Batman in RL?

Maybe it's like the reverse Matrix and when he comes out, he finds himself injected with all this knowledge of kung fu and shit.

sonicmj1

Who will he be when he finally escapes SAO? This seems like the highlight of his life. Will he simply kill himself because he will never ever be Batman in RL?

Considering SAO forced 10,000 people onto life support and killed thousands of them, it'll probably be the last full-immersion MMO ever created, since the genre would almost certainly be banned.

lol

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Considering SAO forced 10,000 people onto life support and killed thousands of them, it'll probably be the last full-immersion MMO ever created, since the genre would almost certainly be banned.

lol

Why would it be the last full-immersion MMO? They just have to get around the problems. That's all.

Started into Infinite Ryvius last night with the first four episodes. Good stuff so far. I think I'm liking Hisashi Hirai's character designs better here than in any of the other series I've seen that he's worked on. The soundtrack (very R&B/hip-hop influenced) is very different than what I was expecting. Not sure how I feel about it but maybe it'll grow on me.

So maybe I should start getting caught up with Gintama again. Only about 150 episodes to go...

Reknoc

Why would it be the last full-immersion MMO? They just have to get around the problems. That's all.

Because the last one killed people. I think consumers would be a little weary of a new one.

"Try our new full-immersion MMO, this one won't kill you we swear!"

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Because the last one killed people. I think consumers would be a little weary of a new one.

"Try our new full-immersion MMO, this one won't kill you we swear!"

But it wasn't really the software that killed them. It was NervGEAR.

Dynedom

Eureka 7 AO - 17

Cool episode but come on @ the end:
how many times are people going to be captured/quarantined by a different army. Maybe this happened only once or twice before but given the length of the show, it feels like this is the 20th time. Did part of the Gun's power involve turning this into a Gundam show?

Ao's development in this episode is all over the place too. Just when
he seems to have got his shit together a little and start developing a backbone (including rising up out of the water like a boss to face Truth), he doesn't pull the trigger and lets himself be captured. The former I guess I can deal with but ugh. Latter I guess ties into the point I made above.

Reknoc

Speaking of SAO

Sword Art Online 3

Kind of a lame episode, everything felt so disjointed. Not really helped by the massive timeskip to Chistmas or the fact none of the new characters were every introduced, they were just there and Kirito already knew them. Though I guess it's not a big problem since a bunch of them wont be showing up again!

Narag

Oda Nobuna 8

The silly aspect was handled pretty well and the reason for the cooking competition was better than I expected.
Episode did a good job of planting the seeds of betrayal between Nobuna and Mitsuhide too.

Articalys

Saimoe Round 1, Group C, Day 2 Results:

C04
1st 260 Maon Sakurada @ Tamayura
2nd 195 Maria @ Hayate The Combat Butler
3rd 76 Laura Bodewig @ Infinite Stratos

C08
1st 197 Sherlock Shellingford @ Detective Opera Milky Holmes
2nd 190 Asuha Tohara @ Astarotte's Toy!
3rd 148 Mayuri Shiina @ Steins;Gate

C12
1st 303 Yayoi Kise @ Smile Pretty Cure!
2nd 115 Ai Haibara @ Detective Conan
3rd 96 Gruier Serenity @ Bodacious Space Pirates

-----------------------------------------------

Reknoc

It might actually be good to wait to see how they handle part 3 if they get there.

I dunno, the original OVA is fantastic, lacking in some of the best stuff sure, but if you haven't read the manga you wont miss what you don't know exists. I'd say you'd be better off checking out the OVA and if you liked it check out the new series and/or the manga. Hell it's worth watching the original just for the D'arby episode alone.

Emitan

They probably
try to pull pranks on her every night to she if she'll fall for them. She, of course, falls for none. Her parents are frightened that they brought a demon-goddess into this world and
fear for their life every night.

Sounds like what I would expect.

Mai frightens me

Arcana Famiglia 09

zlc7a.gif

This week, everyone's part of the Investigation Team!

Backstory, backstory, backstory, oh boy! It also I guess gave focus to the other other guys in the harem. So there's your moment to shine.

Also, what tournament?

Sadly, yes.

Narag

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 8

Ugly CG and terrible action be damned, the show is at its best when it's doing the political/mecha stuff. Next ep preview shows some promise too.

aVwi0l.jpg

e6Nijl.jpg

Only the finest of CG here.

I dunno, the original OVA is fantastic, lacking in some of the best stuff sure, but if you haven't read the manga you wont miss what you don't know exists. I'd say you'd be better off checking out the OVA and if you liked it check out the new series and/or the manga. Hell it's worth watching the original just for the D'arby episode alone.

I guess you could make a case for both stances. If you don't know what you missed, that might not hamper the experience.

Jex

I will be soon done with season one of Space Battleship Yamato. It has been ok show, not sure if I will watch the other seasons. I was expecting show to be more closer to Star Trek. Yamato's crew visiting different planets and facing all kinds of foes but instead it was battle after battle with the blue dudes. There has been also very little character development in the show, you could even say there has been no character development at all. It's hard to care for the crew when they don't have any personalities, except for Koda (and he is kind of jerk)i. Are the other seasons any good? I will either go with season two or start watching Captain Harlock.

I assume you mean the original 1978 series? I broadly agree with the points you've raised - the original series is surprisingly boring and flat. It's pretty interesting that it managed to influence a whole generation of anime creators considering how poorly it's stood the test of time.

So once again I've got to wonder, what's going to happen to Sket Dance which is in that timeslot right now? Will it get moved, or is it done for?

Maybe it'll do what Gintama has been doing and take some time off and they'll just rotate.

Though, don't even think that Sket Dance is in any danger of catching up with the manga based off what I seen in this thread and what I read.

The Monster Next To Me - I actually think this is going to be pretty good, but I don't like to get my hopes up about shoujo anime because they're usually so poorly animated and lose the charm of their manga in the adaptation process. Hopefully this will prove me wrong.

Interesting that you should say this. I haven't watched many shoujo anime, but the few ones I've tried haven't generally given me that impression - I mean, Lovely Complex doesn't have amazing animation or anything but it still has a lot of charm and character. The only shoujo show I've tried and thought the production values were too low to be enjoyable was Bokura ga Ita (ironically an Akitarou Daichi work).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom