• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I missed an Eva v Guilty Crown discussion?

They are hard to compare, though I would probably put Eva a bit more on top of Guilty Crown. Guilty Crown out did it in the character bonds and interactions department, friendship, and music, but Eva's plot ultimately affected things that were larger than life altering and affecting both time and space, mech designs trumped those of the Endlaves, and I think its whole premise of NERV, Instrumentality, and x Impact was a bit more well done and intricate than say Void Genome and Daath. I think more is had out of rewatching that more than rewatching Guilty Crown. Shinji and Shou are ultimately the same character types that I love so I think neither exceeds the other. However, I would put Shou on a say top ten characters ever list, while Shinji would be somewhere around 11 or so, though his plug suit design is nice. At the end of the day, both are anime I would have on a list for the most definitive anime of their respective decades/generations.

Honestly, I'm wondering what the inspiration for Guilty Crown was or something like that. I know there was an interview a long while back where they mentioned something about CG. Meh... idk...

survivor

Banned
Because I'm not a survivor. Man, I dunno, masterpiece? Really? I can't really think of too many "mystery" anime in the same vein as Un-go to compare it with so being the best in 10 years seems like a low hurdle to clear to me. What's its competition? Future Boy Conan? Gosick? Do horror mystery stuff like Ghost Hound count? If so I think that trounces the shit out of Un-go.

But anyways, because I thought the mystery was too stupid, it failed to grab me in the first episode and I absolutely hated the characters.
You are approaching it the wrong way. It's not a traditional mystery anime where it's about solving crimes and whatnot. It's a mystery show that tries to answer very deep philosophical questions.

I missed an Eva v Guilty Crown discussion?

They are hard to compare, though I would probably put Eva a bit more on top of Guilty Crown. Guilty Crown out did it in the character bonds and interactions department, friendship, and music, but Eva's plot ultimately affected things that were larger than life altering and affecting both time and space, mech designs trumped those of the Endlaves, and I think its whole premise of NERV, Instrumentality, and x Impact was a bit more well done and intricate than say Void Genome and Daath. I think more is had out of rewatching that more than rewatching Guilty Crown. Shinji and Shou are ultimately the same character types that I love so I think neither exceeds the other. However, I would put Shou on a say top ten characters ever list, while Shinji would be somewhere around 11 or so, though his plug suit design is nice. At the end of the day, both are anime I would have on a list for the most definitive anime of their respective decades/generations.

vlcsnap-2012-04-09-01a9k7d.jpg

yeah, anime is doomed

kayos90

You are approaching it the wrong way. It's not a traditional mystery anime where it's about solving crimes and whatnot. It's a mystery show that tries to answer very deep philosophical questions.

I started the show but yet to finish it. For some reason it wasn't enticing as I thought it would be. I think I'm on episode 4 or 5.

fertygo

Uhh... you don't have to be a fan of Fate to enjoy F/Z. I think it's just good. Period.

Maybe.. but just having Kiritsugu as protag was heavy fangasm for us lol.

The VN only told him in like 10 line, and make reader dead curious about him. That why I'm laughing when still lurking on this thread and DTL always ranting why Kiritsugu got so much focus n not Kariya. We as F/SN fan gonna rage so hard if F/Z not mostly about Kiritsugu given how little we know about him in the VN lol.

That just one example why fan n anime only watcher might have different scale of enjoyment.

NewFresh

Well, I made a MAL. Hope you assholes are happy :(

You disappoint me.

Okay... That looks good. I'm not saying it looks fucking terrible. Jeez.

EDIT: This looks better than that video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ov-0lvneJQ

Once again, so I don't have to repeat myself. I'm not saying that Eva animation is horrible. I'm saying GC is just better.

It's you're opinion, but I just don't see it. Mitsuo Iso's scene in End of Evangelion is one of the best animated scenes ever. I almost find it unfair to compare it to CG. I can understand that you enjoyed CG more than EVA, it's just that the scene you posted lacks any kind of force, severity, impact, that the eva scene has.

Anyways, recent-ish shows I've dropped after one episode:
Glass Fleet
Upotte
Fate/Zero
Arcana de Familia or whatever
One Piece
Naruto
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
Sword Art Online
So I can't Play H
Queen's Blade (whoops, should've paid attention to what it was going to be)
Un Go

You dropped One piece ?

What a mistake

survivor

Banned
JoJo at later part actually rather have many bishounen n not just about muscular guy with fabulous looks.

DTL will love Gianna and Johnny lol, the problem is its still a long way if the anime want to got there.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with the character designs after the second part since I still haven't finished it. The exception would be Steel Ball Run which has awesome characters design based on this video. Funnily enough, this is the video that got me really interested about JoJo

I started the show but yet to finish it. For some reason it wasn't enticing as I thought it would be. I think I'm on episode 4 or 5.
You should keep watching just for dat ED

kayos90

You disappoint me.

It's you're opinion, but I just don't see it. Mitsuo Iso's scene in End of Evangelion is one of the best animated scenes ever. I almost find it unfair to compare it to CG. I can understand that you enjoyed CG more than EVA, it's just that the scene you posted lacks any kind of force, severity, impact, that the eva scene has.

Then it's preference. And it's not even just about CG. That gravity fight sequence is really awesome and it stood out as one of the highlight action sequences in the show.

Steroyd

No way, I don't just drop anything in 5 minutes or less, if I can't make it through that there's no way I'd like the show.

In this case, Fate Zero's first episode is an exceptionally awful introduction to the show, especially when compared to how the whole show turned out.

I can't quantify enough how much a chore it was to sit through that episode 1. :|

kayos90

To be honest I'm not that familiar with the character designs after the second part since I still haven't finished it. The exception would be Steel Ball Run which has awesome characters design based on this video. Funnily enough, this is the video that got me really interested about JoJo

You should keep watching just for dat ED

That's what I heard. I heard it's just mindblowing.

In this case, Fate Zero's first episode is an exceptionally awful introduction to the show, especially when compared to how the whole show turned out.

I can't quantify enough how much a chore it was to sit through that episode 1. :|

With Fate/Zero, I'd recommend you watch up to episode 4. If you don't like it after that then it's good to just drop it.

sonicmj1

Maybe.. but just having Kiritsugu as protag was heavy fangasm for us lol.

The VN only told him in like 10 line, and make reader dead curious about him. That why I'm laughing when still lurking on this thread and DTL always ranting why Kiritsugu got so much focus n not Kariya. We as F/SN fan gonna rage so hard if F/Z not mostly about Kiritsugu given how little we know about him in the VN lol.

That just one example why fan n anime only watcher might have different scale of enjoyment.

No, that's an example of why someone and DTL might have different scales of enjoyment.

I understand that a lot of the series is fanservice for Fate/Stay Night readers, but it's a really solid work that stands on its own just fine. Kiritsugu and Kirei were established as the primary protagonist/antagonist pair from the first episode onwards, so it wasn't surprising that they got the most attention. But the show handled the entire cast very well, including people like Kariya and Waver/Rider who were either super marginal or didn't exist in the visual novel.

Defuser

Hyouka ep 15
Man, this festival arc is a long one. I like how the festival affects everyone in some way except for Oreki.
Oreki finally stop the Kininarimasu!

Nanoha A 13

ah, and it ends with more death!

Ew everyone grew out of lolis into ugl- my god, what am i saying? i'm rotten!

anyhow, A is a ton better than first season in production, and nearly completely dumping the SoL shit. And fucking talking gun staffs. love the sound effects.

8/10.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
No way, I don't just drop anything in 5 minutes or less, if I can't make it through that there's no way I'd like the show.

The first episode was truly awful, turned me off of the show for the longest time. My eventual continuation of watching it can be largely attributed to peer pressure.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You disappoint me.

Mitsuo Iso, Takeshi Honda, and Yoh Yoshinari for one scene. That's untoppable!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hyouka ep 15
Man, this festival arc is a long one. I like how the festival affects everyone in some way except for Oreki.

But Oreki is being affected!

There was that scene with him and Mayaka where she asks him why hes bothering to put in so much effort and he says it was because he couldn't let Chitanda down. And then the scene where he gets BUSTED looking at her hot sexy moe as good god almighty cosplay photos and the two of them share a passionate blush together. And the scene where he exerts more energy by yelling to save his friends than at any other point in the show.

developments!

mAcOdIn

You dropped One piece ?

What a mistake
The mistake was starting it, that and getting into the hundreds with Bleach that was a waste of time.
I got that from the explanation at the end but if the buildup to that end game is that boring I don't wanna stick it out. I watch shit for entertainment not to answer any philosophical questions because I've already figured all of those out, thanks Twilight Zone!

Anyways, I think you guys shouldn't be surprised but I guess it's because I've been so scarce recently that maybe people don't know me yet. I'm mAcOdIn, I hate most things in anime, especially recent things in anime. I like tomboys and bad ass women who don't look like tomboys. I wont hold that against them. I like Holo, Spoor, Natsume Tsujimoto, Yakushiji Ryōko, Rally Vincent, women like that. I hate tsunderes, Tessa from Full Metal Panic and, well, I really hate Tessa from Full Metal Panic. I like mecha but hate most mecha shows. I hate NGE. Somehow I liked K-on enough though that I bought a guitar! I'm most recently miffed about purchasing Ghost Slayers Ayashi only to find out they don't hunt or slay any fucking ghost at all. Did I mention I like ghosts? Kobayashi's the best VA ever! Omigawa's cool too though. Shaft's the best studio now unless they actually try, then we get crap like Nisemonogatari or Madoka Magika but more Natsu no Arashi would be great. Only things I truly have to look forward to are Bluray re-releases of past shows because I think everything recent sucks or barely straddles the watchable. I'm one of those. And once we move on to the next sweet higher-def resolution waiting for the same shows to come out on that will probably be all I have to look forward to then too, until then though I will continue to watch shit and rage at how the modern fails to capture the lost magic of the past.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sora No Woto 5

More cute girls doing cute things. The one thing I didn't really get was
why did Rio rummage through their bags and take their compass?
It's part of the test, iirc.

Look, that would require Light levels of planning! It's just not possible in the real world.
I don't doubt it. I believe anokata really is that smart.
It all makes me CURIOUS.

fertygo

No, that's an example of why someone and DTL might have different scales of enjoyment.

I understand that a lot of the series is fanservice for Fate/Stay Night readers, but it's a really solid work that stands on its own just fine. Kiritsugu and Kirei were established as the primary protagonist/antagonist pair from the first episode onwards, so it wasn't surprising that they got the most attention. But the show handled the entire cast very well, including people like Kariya and Waver/Rider who were either super marginal or didn't exist in the visual novel.

LOL its partially true but actually not just DTL, there was many similar complaint about that. And actually the anime was cutting a lot stuff to make Kirei and Kiritsugu got their part fully told, but I don't give a damn about that :D

Another example again. Kirei transformation to became the person in last episode was also big fanservice to the fan, because he exactly like that in the VN, so we wanna know how this sexy egomaniac born. Although I admit even the non-fan can enjoy it because its very well done. His chit-chat with Gil also filled with terminology that only the fan know.

And yes eps 1 was the most fanwanking material got thrown, no wonder its very infamous for anime-only watcher :D

sonicmj1

Haibane Renmei 4

There's a common theme running through this episode.

Qd0I4.png

Crows are assholes.

Beyond that, this episode is about Rakka spending a day with Kana. Kana's an awesome spunky Makoto-type character, so I had a good time with this episode. Her boss is great too.

ZAxwc.jpg

Pictured: Kana dealing with asshole crows.

Everything has its place in the world of the show, and Rakka's still trying to figure out how it all fits together. The show is really taking its time in unfolding everything about the characters and what they do, so there's a lot of room for girls to do cute things while they talk about their lives. It's pretty nice to watch it once a week.

I wonder what else crows will do in episodes to come.

survivor

Banned
Dog Days 2

The fanservice ramped up a lot in this episode, but the battle was still fun.
Seeing how the Hero can't go back once summoned, it makes me wonder if there are other heroes living there right now.

BluWacky

It's pretty mediocre for a long while. Hard to watch a show for fifty episodes before it becomes good.

But then why do people enjoy it so much at the start to get that far?

Clearly enough people liked those first fifty episodes enough to watch them all without being bored - and I don't begrudge them that with a show like One Piece. But frankly, why would I carry on watching something that bored me silly? I watched about ten episodes I think and it did nothing for me, so I stopped - and that's more than I'd usually give a show that wasn't holding my interest.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad show - just not one that's to my taste. Plodding through fifty episodes just to get to "the good stuff" isn't going to change that.

survivor

Banned
But then why do people enjoy it so much at the start to get that far?

Clearly enough people liked those first fifty episodes enough to watch them all without being bored - and I don't begrudge them that with a show like One Piece. But frankly, why would I carry on watching something that bored me silly? I watched about ten episodes I think and it did nothing for me, so I stopped - and that's more than I'd usually give a show that wasn't holding my interest.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad show - just not one that's to my taste. Plodding through fifty episodes just to get to "the good stuff" isn't going to change that.

Cause it starts good but the later parts are just better. That's why no one ranks the first arcs that highly since the later ones completely overshadows them.

Defuser

Tari Tari ep 5
Unfortunately melodrama isn't helping this episode at all. How long more are they not gonna give Wein some background? The guy seems to be the most mysterious and most random character of all.

Nanoha StrikerS 1

wow. shit is quite different now. Not really digging armor form nanoha as an adult. Twin tails on a grownup is a bit... not to me taste.

They did a fair job introducing the new gals, and i'm all for more folks having Revolver Stake style weapons.

Having magic circle on your grappling hook is a bit silly though.

But wow, how did nanoha end up in this show... i don't even. huh.

duckroll

Blue Exorcist movie PV
tumblr_m7zcb7hiXJ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Cant wait to see Rin again and that stance they have him in when he grips his sword and draws forth the flames. The environment looks especially detailed and the dragon float?

Wow, that looks fucking good. I never watched the TV series beyond the first episode, but the movie looks really visually impressive.

The mistake was starting it, that and getting into the hundreds with Bleach that was a waste of time.
I got that from the explanation at the end but if the buildup to that end game is that boring I don't wanna stick it out. I watch shit for entertainment not to answer any philosophical questions because I've already figured all of those out, thanks Twilight Zone!

[WOF]
Unlike bleach who declined past his only good arc ( Soul society ) , one piece just keep getting better..
Also One episode is not enough to judge a show like this ..Giving so much to bleach to not to OP is a total shame , IMO, because the anime hadn't even started ..
Anyway you've have a YUA avatar so you can't be all that bad..

It's pretty mediocre for a long while. Hard to watch a show for fifty episodes before it becomes good.
Actually one piece stop being mediocre very fast ..The first 2 arcs aren't the brigthest but they have a purpose..almost like a necessary evil ..., everything after that is pur fun , IMO ..Especially when thing get in a whole new scale later...

Nanoha StrikerS 1

wow. shit is quite different now. Not really digging armor form nanoha as an adult. Twin tails on a grownup is a bit... not to me taste.

They did a fair job introducing the new gals, and i'm all for more folks having Revolver Stake style weapons.

Having magic circle on your grappling hook is a bit silly though.

But wow, how did nanoha end up in this show... i don't even. huh.

StrikerS is disappointing in so many ways.

Taruranto

Blue Exorcist movie PV
tumblr_m7zcb7hiXJ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Cant wait to see Rin again and that stance they have him in when he grips his sword and draws forth the flames. The environment looks especially detailed and the dragon float?

Hopefully for you it won't be sleep-inducing as the manga.

It's like the author put every fucking boring cliché in one story, even for shounen manga it was totally unoriginal.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Uh, man, I dropped both Upotte and Fate/Zero after the first episode but Upotte was way worse. If not for everyone talking about the stupid concept I would not have finished Upotte's first episode, still wish I'd dropped it 5 minutes in like with Fate/Zero, but I wouldn't say I was more entertained by it in the slightest.

Anyways, recent-ish shows I've dropped after one episode:
Glass Fleet
Upotte
Fate/Zero
Arcana de Familia or whatever
One Piece
Naruto
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
Sword Art Online
So I can't Play H
Queen's Blade (whoops, should've paid attention to what it was going to be)
Un Go

hmm, there's a lot. Glass Fleet is still by far the worst shit I think I have ever seen that wasn't just offensive to me personally just fucking terrible.
I'm no Pagan mythology expert but it seriously sounded pretty far fetched, I bet taking these lessons seriously would be like learning about Christianity from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Excellent!

Whaaaaat! What about Hinata? :I

fertygo

Hopefully for you it won't be sleep-inducing as the manga.

It's like the author put every fucking boring cliché in one story, even for shounen manga it was totally unoriginal.

Its a movie and the anime already straying from the manga anyway, we can just enjoy A-1's mercenary make good visual n action, and oh the anime OST was good too.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Is Hinata even in the first episode? It's been a very long time since I watched any Naruto, but I don't remember her rocking up until the exam arc.

Nah, I don't think she was. Even more reason for Mac to watch more so he can see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom