• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could swear someone told me that the beginning was intentionally like that so they'd lose people with short attention spans or whatnot before getting to more traditional storytelling. At least that's what I remembered when I asked the same thing.
Well their little plan failed. I'm still fully on board!

I really like how sparse the dialog is.

cj_iwakura

There isn't? The beginning of the show appeared to be quite blatantly censored, and Thoraxes seemed to agree with this, though I may have misunderstood him.

It's certainly confusing, but everything that's happening on screen has been interesting enough on its own merits. Hopefully it either stays this compelling or it sheds some light on things.

Nope. ABe shows should stay 13 episodes for a reason.

And what do you think was censored? If it was the arm chop, you never saw that in the original either.

jman2050

Q5Uoo.png

darkside am cry

Thoraxes

There isn't? The beginning of the show appeared to be quite blatantly censored, and Thoraxes seemed to agree with this, though I may have misunderstood him.

It's certainly confusing, but everything that's happening on screen has been interesting enough on its own merits. Hopefully it either stays this compelling or it sheds some light on things.

It's a journey.

You gotta watch the whole thing for everything to make sense for this show (and yes, it does take a long time). Like, they really get good mileage out of the entire allotment of episodes, and nothing felt too rushed to me. Sit back, get some alcohol ready for the end, and enjoy :D

Aside from like that intro scene, there isn't much in the way of censorship. There's no real other situations like that intro scene, aside from a couple things that they use different camera angles to portray. Don't worry though, you'll understand what this oddly confusing comment means when you finish too.

And I didn't mean like, this is how they censored it, it was more like, this is the choice they made for this scene as far as their direction went, especially with the darkness (and not a censored vs. uncensored version). The show it a bit odd in those regards, but it should make sense the more you go on.

Gundam Wing 11 - 12

Wufei and Trowa really do have inner struggles that need to be addressed. Wufei managed to get through his a bit though a permanent solution should be found
Nice fight and destruction of the forces in 12
. Trowa is scaring me if he is gonna do what I think he is
self sacrifice, please dont
. 12 was one of the happiest moments for me all day.
Heero didnt die, seriously, he didnt. But confined to the bed, but still a live is great. Now if only the professor can toss him another MS, and he gets better. Really well done how the anime made us think he was dead in the 10th episode then even goes an entire episode without him and then brings him back up in a surprising moment with Trowa. Surprised he was living with him for a month and their personalities are so alike in some ways. I hope they team up now that Duo is with Quartre and possibly my newest favorite team.

The Relena scene was actually kind of decent
almost shooting the commander and then making a dashing escape, with training she might even become a decent asset for the protagonists
Lol, they got ya. When you said you were going to
take a break after that. I wanted to just tell you to 'keep watching' but that would have spoiled it.
the things I said about character development were true though.

Finished Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0
Was pretty meh, too similar to the regular series for me. Liked 2.0 much more.

With anime dead and me being a bit tired of nanoha, what shall I watch today?

Current backlog of started stuff of recent.

- sailor moon
- rkb
- utena
- toriko
- saki side a

Well if you don't want to wait you can watch the whole series subbed or dubbed on Hulu.
Well, I fucked up my laptop's monitor so I'd need to watch it on TV anyway.

Fake edit: wait, they have Hulu on 360, don't they? Fuck. This Netflix endeavor is not panning out very well.
And what do you think was censored? If it was the arm chop, you never saw that in the original either.
The shower.
It's a journey.

You gotta watch the whole thing for everything to make sense for this show (and yes, it does take a long time). Like, they really get good mileage out of the entire allotment of episodes, and nothing felt too rushed to me. Sit back, get some alcohol ready for the end, and enjoy :D
Yeah, I'm in no hurry for answers. It's doing just fine as is.
Aside from like that intro scene, there isn't much in the way of censorship. There's no real other situations like that intro scene, aside from a couple things that they use different camera angles to portray. Don't worry though, you'll understand what this oddly confusing comment means when you finish too.

And I didn't mean like, this is how they censored it, it was more like, this is the choice they made for this scene as far as their direction went, especially with the darkness (and not a censored vs. uncensored version). The show it a bit odd in those regards, but it should make sense the more you go on.
Ah, my bad. Totally misunderstood you. I am ambivalent towards this revelation.

I hope nothing bad happens to Cyborg Freddie Mercury. I think he's my favorite character so far, aside from the doctor who I like for very different reasons.

wonzo

Banned
I want to believe.
The Lain BD's, Despera and Funi's Haibane Renmei DVD set is all that's left for me to complete my ABe collection!

How did he even get into a bar in the first place?
His neighbours and idiot but not as stupid as the owner of the bar, fortunately the female police officers from earlier intervened!

Japan, brah.

zo1TJl.jpg
What Shin-chan movie's this from again?

Team Meat? More like Team Bandwagon.

#yukimurabest
gotta go with #teamrika but yukimura's a very close second

trejo

With anime dead and me being a bit tired of nanoha, what shall I watch today?

Current backlog of started stuff of recent.

- sailor moon
- rkb
- utena
- toriko
- saki side a

You should procure the required amount of screens and watch them all simultaneously. Y'know, for efficiency's sake.

MMO Life Lessons Online 4:

This episode makes me want to go play Tera and purposely put on low level gear and walk around in a low level area pretending to grind mobs until someone tries to gank me. That would be good for a laugh if some random low level ganker tried to kill me. I wonder if it would take me 2 hits or 3 to kill him. Probably just one hit if I landed a crit, and I probably would because of how level scaling works in Tera. Level scaling in Tera is at least as hilariously exaggerated as what you see in this episode, somewhere in the range of 3-5 levels difference between you and someone else, they literally hit you for 1 damage and you crit them for 2,000.

Kirito basically explains the biggest problem with all MMOs succinctly in this episode. Being powerful in an MMO has nothing to do with skill or talent. It's simply how much time you are willing to spend mindlessly grinding on mobs. Power in MMOs has nothing to do with really being powerful. To some extent all RPGs basically have the same mechanic with a few exception. The more time you spend leveling up, the stronger you get. However MMOs have this issue to a magnified degree and in general it makes PvP in MMOs basically a gear check. Sadly, at endgame Tera falls into this trap too which is probably the biggest disappointment about that game.

So far through the first 4 episodes, there has been a great deal of exposition about MMO mechanics. Obviously SAO has it's own particular set of fictitious mechanics, though anyone who has ever played an MMO will recognize almost all of them except for Switch. I don't know if the author of SAO actually realizes that a Switch mechanic would essentially eliminate the need for the long-standing and frequently criticized Holy Trinity party and class mechanic of Tank, Healer, DPS in real MMOs.

I wish SAO was real, minus the dying in real life part, because I would love to play an MMO where everyone did everything to some extent. This is what is being promised and not at all what is actually in Guild Wars 2. Plus the combat in GW2 is the same tab-target, lock-on, auto-attack bullshit that plagues all MMOs not named Tera and Blade & Soul. (Games like Dragon's Nest, Vindictus, Phantasy Star Online, and Diablo aren't MMOs in the sense of a large open world. Instead everything is instanced.)

Given those choices I'd say go with Ro-Kyu-Bu.

See, I never lie! Ghost in the Shell is an amazing movie.

Innocence on blu-ray has been expensive for quite a while now, AFAIK, except for the UK Region B version. Given your reaction the first I'm pretty sure you'll like it, but I wouldn't recommend springing crazy amounts of money for, like, the JP or US versions of it sight unseen.

GitS and Innocence are surprisingly different films though. It's like Oshii saw what people criticized about the first film and took the second film entirely too far in the opposite direction of the first.

duckroll

Don't get all the ZoE anime hate honestly. Maybe if you expected something exactly like the games you might be disappointed. As a unique take on the mecha anime genre it's pretty charming and interesting.

trejo

Still, for all of ZOEs faults you gotta at least respect the balls it took to make the main protagonist an aging world-weary man who is accompanied in his adventures by his son and daughter, who are both adults themselves. It made you think that maybe life doesn't end at sixteen after all!

Also, the ED song was pretty sweet.

duckroll

Still, for all of ZOEs faults you gotta at least respect the balls it took to make the main protagonist an aging world-weary man who is accompanied in his adventures by his son and daughter, who are both adults themselves. It made you think that maybe life doesn't end at sixteen after all!

Also, the ED song was pretty sweet.

Ring on the World rocks. Personally I really liked how the anime handled Idolo and then Dolores, i. I own all of the ADV DVDs! I even have the ZoE1 JP LE with the Idolo R2 DVD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom