• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

RJINL.jpg
That's quite the fancy logo.

He found it "intensely interesting," not "pretty good but they talked too much." Hence the assumption.

Fair enough. I'm interested in how he reacts to the second film.

Since I've got you on the spot here, I want an honest answer. I put Mawaru-Penguindrum on hold somewhere around episode 5 back when it was airing. Is it something that's really worth finishing?

wonzo

Banned
With anime dead and me being a bit tired of nanoha, what shall I watch today?

Current backlog of started stuff of recent.

- sailor moon
- rkb
- utena
- toriko
- saki side a
RKB!

Serious answer: Utena followed by Sailor Moon and then maybe Lesbian Mahjong Side A but I haven't seen that show yet so ymmv

Articalys

Also, I haven't watched either of the two previous seasons of Hayate (only read the manga), but something about those character designs seems... off. Is it just me? Maybe it's just the low res of the photo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What I was saying was that liking the first doesn't immediately imply you will like the second.
Reading the brief synopsis of Innocence spells out something that I think has the potential to hit the themes touched upon in its predecessor. I found a lot to enjoy in GitS because of its very measured pace, consistent tone, and the yo-yoing between presenting its themes up front to the viewer before taking a step back to iterate on those ideas in a more subtle manner the lends itself to an individual's interpretation.

In all frankness, the plot of the GitS movie is rather bluntly laid out in monologues to present psychological musings and quandaries. This isn't to say it's bad, simply that it clearly isn't the focus. I'm actually excited to watch Innocence because of how philosophy heavy the reception paints it as, because those were the aspects of GitS that really connected with me.

cajunator

Banned
I dunno, what did you think of the first five episodes?

Actually, scratch that, because it's not predictive of your reaction to the rest of it in the slightest. The best episodes are the last few imo- in the late teens and early 20s, but the middle is questionable and the show is pretty disjointed at best; it doesn't really hang together as a whole or feel like it has an endpoint in sight the entire time. I still loved it, of course, but YMMV.

It's not nearly as repetitive as Utena, though, so that's something to put in the 'pro' column for you...

Like Utena, the first 5 episodes of penguin drum do absolutely nothing to predict the endgame of the series.
Its such a bizarre series really.
Ill certainly never forget it.

Instro

Tari Tari 5

A piano seems like an expensive thing to just give away. The dad seems like a pushover. I liked this episode though, they've been kind of building to this point since the show started, so it feels like a natural time to focus on Wakana. Some nice spots of character animation too.

Cwarrior

With anime dead and me being a bit tired of nanoha, what shall I watch today?

Current backlog of started stuff of recent.

- sailor moon
- rkb
- utena
- toriko
- saki side a

That matters on what your looking for, if it's something good then it's toriko, incredible episodes like ep34 is a must see.

Am on ep 36 my self but I just wasn't ready for the ultra gar that was toriko vs tommyrod.

plus it doesn't hurt that it has a great sound track and nice animation.

I dunno, what did you think of the first five episodes?

I honestly don't remember that well. It's been a long time since that show aired. Well, except ROCK OVER JAPAN, I remember that.

Actually, scratch that, because it's not predictive of your reaction to the rest of it in the slightest. The best episodes are the last few imo- in the late teens and early 20s, but the middle is questionable and the show is pretty disjointed at best; it doesn't really hang together as a whole or feel like it has an endpoint in sight the entire time. I still loved it, of course, but YMMV.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I think its okay for a show to meander in the middle if it's doing character development, but if there's a bunch of filler to pad the length then I get bored easily.

It's not nearly as repetitive as Utena, though, so that's something to put in the 'pro' column for you...

I certainly did notice that in the first 5 episodes, the only thing repeated and not even every episode was ROCK OVER JAPAN and I found those segments enjoyable and not so long they overstayed their welcome.

Like Utena, the first 5 episodes of penguin drum do absolutely nothing to predict the endgame of the series.
Its such a bizarre series really.
Ill certainly never forget it.

So that good or bad? Does it earn your cajun Head Pat of Approval?

cajunator

Banned
Yes Penguin Drum was pretty awesome.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, im not fond of Neogaf mobile.
Its actually impossible to respond to lengthy posts.
The reply field will not go behind the quote tag.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tari Tari 5

A piano seems like an expensive thing to just give away. The dad seems like a pushover. I liked this episode though, they've been kind of building to this point since the show started, so it feels like a natural time to focus on Wakana. Some nice spots of character animation too.

I kinda got that vibe too.

All I see is a fat slab of meat.

That certainly looks good to eat.

Narag

The Wings of Honneamise

Uh, wow. I'll have to give this another watch like I plan on doing for Beautiful Dreamer. Beautiful film although wasn't a fan of the OST.

Jex

The Wings of Honneamise

Uh, wow. I'll have to give this another watch like I plan on doing for Beautiful Dreamer. Beautiful film although wasn't a fan of the OST.

It's certainly one of the least refined aspects of the movie. They certainly knew a lot more about visuals (and rockets) they did about music.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's certainly one of the least refined aspects of the movie. They certainly knew a lot more about visuals (and rockets) they did about music.
They tried to make the music sound as if it were coming from an alien culture to match the invented language, clothing, and architecture, but I think they went too far in doing that.

duckroll

They tried to make the music sound as if it were coming from an alien culture to match the invented language, clothing, and architecture, but I think they went too far in doing that.

The music in Honneamise was intentionally experimental. I think they knew that some of it might fall flat. It was an interesting choice nonetheless, even if it didn't really work out. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom