• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
YuruYuri♪♪ - 05

IOM2V.png

Cuteness overload. Holy hell.

Alright episode. The last part was great though.

Sakurako and Himawari are amazing together. OTP.

Nafe

Sailor Moon S 99

The not so good: Yuichiro is the most forgotten side character of the series, there was really no need to pull him out of retirement

This was one thing that kind of annoyed me a bit about Sailor Moon. While I don't hate Yuichiro, whenever Rei needed some sort of romantic interest with some sort of emotional impact his character was brought to the forefront.

When an episode finished that used that type of plot line he was then pushed to the background never to be seen again until the next episode that wanted to use that type of plot line.

He went from being somewhat of an actual character in the first series to just being made into a plot device for those type of stories after that.

I've never seen Denpa Onna, but based on gifs and fanart Mama Denpa seems to be far and away the superior Denpa.Ah, gotcha. Seems kind of counterproductive to write about how great and realistic a character is without addressing her more "human" side.

I haven't seen any fan art but I liked Meme better personally. She is the best super fun happy spaz aunt that I've encountered so far in anime.

You know she has a special relationship with her daughter when she picks her up by the legs, spins her around and then hurls her across the room so she gets lodged halfway through a doorway. All in the first episode!

Unfortunately, the mother daughter antics get less interesting after that. Although Meme definitely works as a one man show.

Defuser

YuruYuri♪♪ - 05

Alright episode. The last part was great though.

Sakurako and Himawari are amazing together. OTP.
How can Himawari stand being around Sakurako when she is so useless and needs help. The next you know she will be cleaning Sakurako's ass whenever she takes a shit.

Articalys

Ai Nonaka (Meme's Seiyuu) did a really great job with her character I think. She's done the voice of a few other fan favorite characters too, like Kyouko in Madoka Magica.
This is as good a chance as any to post this short excerpt from her Otakon panel:
10:45:20 <bay|Ota|Nonoka> Q: What was is it like to play meme from denpa onna seishun otoko compared to your other roles
10:45:51 <bay|Ota|Nonoka> A: Normally, i tend to play characters who are younger than me, but in denpa onna, meme is a mother character, so that was a challenge
10:46:05 <bay|Ota|Nonoka> And she's older in age, but she likes to act young
10:46:47 <bay|Ota|Nonoka> Normally she's very energetic, but there are times where she is more mature like when launching the bottle rockets
[a few questions later]
10:48:52 <bay|Ota|Nonoka> Q: What would Towa Meme think of the story of madoka?
10:49:09 <bay|Ota|Nonoka> A: Very difficult question (in eng)
10:49:29 <bay|Ota|Nonoka> She'd probably say it's an interesting anime
And bayoab's report of the full panel, if you're interested.

cajunator

Banned
Ai Nonaka (Meme's Seiyuu) did a really great job with her character I think. She's done the voice of a few other fan favorite characters too, like Kyouko in Madoka Magica.

I really liked Kyokos voice in Madoka Magica so Ill keep an ear out for her in future roles.

wonzo

Banned
Utakoi 5

what better way to follow up a rather touching story about poetry with tower moe~

i still can't get over how much the ed owns. the engrish has this kinda swing to it which just works

I'll catch up on the thread tomorrow, but...

Kannazuki no Miko 1 - 12

I have no idea why I did this.
Worst show I've ever seen. I want to die.
1/10

Oh, and for the new MAL users, add me.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Grzi

Good night.
I still have yet to watch the last 4 eps of this. Episode 8 was so fucking bad...

Star Driver 11

Looking back at comments made when it aired, people got tired of Star Driver by this point!? I think it has been hitting its stride since episode one and been pretty good. I rather like the daytime and such bonding and interactions, and then the nighttime or so, Takuto v selected Kiraboshi member. Monochrome or whatever was the way better song for it, but Im starting to get into the new song, shes kind of good and its really catchy. Best moment
the entire fight, Takashi being in action again and actually putting pressure on Takuto in Tauburn almost made me think he was going to lose but fortunately Sugata rose to the occasion and supported him like any good friend would. That Kings Sword Tauburn mix was epic and actually so powerful it caused an explosion, wow.
. Head and Sugata should talk more in the future, and hopefully Sugata joins the pool party next time, he missed out.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Star Driver 11

Looking back at comments made when it aired, people got tired of Star Driver by this point!? I think it has been hitting its stride since episode one and been pretty good. I rather like the daytime and such bonding and interactions, and then the nighttime or so, Takuto v selected Kiraboshi member. Monochrome or whatever was the way better song for it, but Im starting to get into the new song, shes kind of good and its really catchy. Best moment
the entire fight, Takashi being in action again and actually putting pressure on Takuto in Tauburn almost made me think he was going to lose but fortunately Sugata rose to the occasion and supported him like any good friend would. That Kings Sword Tauburn mix was epic and actually so powerful it caused an explosion, wow.
. Head and Sugata should talk more in the future, and hopefully Sugata joins the pool party next time, he missed out.

Sugata is too cool for anything. He's just too BA.

wonzo

Banned
SSO 17

The cool battle and that forehead moe~ made this episode far more enjoyable than last weeks one even with all the "quality" art. The next episode looks like it's gonna be fucking AWESOME!

ssomega17c.jpg

Code Geass Nunnally in Wonderland
tumblr_m7zw85YH2q1ra4c3so1_500.png

Schneizel x Kanon, canon otp? So many moments in this made me go , what even? At lot of it just gave feelings of nostalgia just because they essentially had everyone show up. Even more were the costumes, so many revealing outfits for the ladies (like Shirleys)...naked Rolo, and then dashing White Knight Suzaku for the win. Ending moment
Mad Hatter Lelouch was awesome, so cool it made me smile, his personality is perfect for it
. I like how they attempted to interject some moments relating back to the series canon plot in some of the things they did here
like character traits for making a special zone, or wanting to rule the world with that fortress, etc
. It was fun seeing my favorites, Rolo, Suzaku, Lelouch again.

Animation was interesting, page turning effect was my favorite, which I wish was used more. The spinzaku as someone mentioned earlier today, was just plain weird. And I guess they had to give CC some love.
tumblr_m7zyvk39bq1qhw0tbo1_500.gif

Ultimately its just an unforgettable experience and I think worth checking out.

duckroll

So I was going through some of Madhouse's recent updates on their site about shit they worked on (it's really pathetic, it's mostly work for Persona games!), and I found something interesting.

Remember when Atsuko Ishizuka (one of Madhouse's more recent female directors) was announced as the director for JC Staff's Sakurasou? I wonder if the reason she left was because there simply isn't enough work at Madhouse for her to keep working. Her official site still lists that she's a Madhouse director, and her most recent gigs have been directing the Persona 4 Golden opening animation as well as the opening and intermission animations for all of Persona 4 Ultimate (fighting shit). She also did the intermission illustrations in the game, and it seems the promo illustrations for P4G and P4U credited under "Madhouse" as well.

Can't actually be a good sign when a big studio like Madhouse has to let their directors work on stuff like game animation and uncredited promo artwork instead. It's worse when said director is moving on to directing a TV series not produced by Madhouse.

If anyone is interested, her site is here: http://aaoxx.lolipop.jp/web/

duckroll

Speaking of the Blue Exorcist movie... It appears that the official site has a Gallery of sorts they're updating regularly. It really gives off a strong Ghibli vibe (not surprising considering the director). It's pretty amusing to see a "Ghibli-style" shounen action movie. Hopefully the film lives up to the artwork...

http://www.ao-ex.com/gallery/

Storyboard sample:

Art board samples:

Art Setting samples:

Character Design samples:

duckroll

By god that architecture is gorgeous!! :O

Yeah, Shinji Kimura is a really, really good art director. He does amazing backgrounds. Atsushi Takahashi is probably responsible for the general Ghibli-vibe in the direction though. He was an assistant director on Spirited Away after all.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah, Shinji Kimura is a really, really good art director. He does amazing backgrounds. Atsushi Takahashi is probably responsible for the general Ghibli-vibe in the direction though. He was an assistant director on Spirited Away after all.

Consider those two names committed to memory. :D

Speaking of the Blue Exorcist movie... It appears that the official site has a Gallery of sorts they're updating regularly. It really gives off a strong Ghibli vibe (not surprising considering the director). It's pretty amusing to see a "Ghibli-style" shounen action movie. Hopefully the film lives up to the artwork...

http://www.ao-ex.com/gallery/

Those look very nice. At the very least, the film will be very pretty to look at even if it turns into a lovefest.

The top one just looks like a slightly more detailed design of the school there. If that's the case, it would be on Kazue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom