• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nichijou 1-2

nichi1_zpsd6ae1b05.jpg

nichi2_zps2f8b6d69.jpg

nichi3_zps595a1678.jpg

This shit is so fucking meta. It's like I'm being trolled and only found out by chance.

duckroll

What's this? A new season? Do we finally get some A-tan?

I posted these days ago, but now the information is 100% confirmed. Not a rumor.

Unconfirmed info for the new Hayate series:

Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You

- TV Tokyo
- October
- Anime original story by Hata
- Same voice cast

Original Creator: Kenjirou Hata
Director/Character Design: Masashi Kudo
Series Director: Yooichi Ueda
Concept: Kenjirou Hata
Series Composition: Rie Koshika
Sound Director: Toshiki Kameyama
Music: Wataru Maeguchi
Production: Manglobe

Opening Theme: "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" by eyelis
Ending Theme: "Love Trap" by Ruka Suirenji starring Haruka Yamazaki

The unconfirmed info lists the following characters and cast:

Ryoko Shiraishi as Hayate Ayasaki
Rie Kugimiya as Nagi Sanzenin
Rie Tanaka as Maria
Shizuka Itou as Hinagiku Katsura
Mikako Takahashi as Ayumu Nishizawa
Ayumi Fujimura as Chiharu Harukaze
Haruka Yamazaki as Ruka Suirenji

Season 3. Rumors are that it's a semi-original story written by the manga author because he wanted to rearrange a few things. Ruka is confirmed to be in, but not A-tan so far.

No, it is not season 3. It is not a continuation of the existing anime series. It's a brand new series. The author made it very clear when he blogged about it.

Westlo

Fuck me @ no anime adaption for the "End of the World" + "Greek Island" arcs. No A-Tan :( *insert Idon'twannaliveonthisplanet pic*

duckroll

Very strange for him to do this.

You'll notice that for the first two seasons, they were clearly continuations even though different staff and studios handled them. One is Hayate no Gotoku! and the other is Hayate no Gotoku!!. Starting with the movie they did with Manglobe, they decided on a different format moving forward. They're keeping the title as Hayate no Gotoku! and using subtitles instead to define that story.

Can't Take My Eyes Off You is being developed with the same philosophy as Heaven is a Place On Earth, and it seems to be their preferred way of handling anime adaptations of Hayate from now on. I guess Manglobe isn't interested in having to continue something that other people worked on maybe, and would be more interested in doing something original which they can make their own.

I don't watch the show though, so I don't really care either way, and I don't know which method fans prefer. That's the author's view on things though.

Defuser

If heaven is a place on earth a indication then I can expect this new series to be a piece of crap. I have no faith in manglobe nowadays regardless of Hata contributing or not.

Plot did not move at all. It was just random escapades by Funeral Parlor doing stuff. They always alluded to something bigger but it never moved into that direction until late into the series, much to my dismay. This the exact problem with E7AO with me. Sure I'm seeing character development/explanation and such but by piling episodes on episodes of the stuff for a long time means that you have so little for plot. It's just not paced very well in the grander scheme of things imo. I would give the show a six out of ten because everything about the show is okay to average with the exception of animation and music.

I dont understand the comparison to E7AO. E7AO seems much deeper and less streamlined in the plot and storytelling department than Guilty Crown. Guilty Crown's plot was paced well and just deep enough for just about everyone watching to wholly understand it and its intricate nature by the time both of the two arcs in it finished. Much of everything was explained in due time, all events actually did directly relate to this story as told in the life of Ouma Shu, and it was fitting for the delivery and support of its action. E7AO is just way more complex and pretty, at times, difficult to follow and understand without undertaking much browsing of discussion or rewatching multiple times. Both anime felt like much was happening in their story but its way harder to understand E7AO.

wonzo

Banned
RKB 2

Wow. That was surprisingly not... bad? Show actually isn't terrible when they aren't throwing naked lolis in your face, which this eps had none.

Which makes eps 1 quite... baffling? (I think my mind blocked out eps 1...)

Anyhow hopefully there are more eps like this and less like eps 1. The idea of a fairly standard sports show that stars cute girls is fine. It all depends on which side of the line they step around more often.

And the cg basketball is superior to kuroko's.
welp, i've got some news for you!

DiGiKerot

Those living in the London area may be interested in knowing that the BFI Southback is going to be having a screening of the first Tiger and Bunny movie on the 23rd of September (that's, like, the day after it opens in Japan).

Not sure if I'll be there myself yet - waiting on details of where in Scotland it's going to be screening that same weekend, since that's potentially a far, far shorter trip for me.

Theonik

*high five*

I agree the show would have been better without the blatant fanservice but meh whatever.

And RKB has more actual and enjoyable basketball to it then any other basketball series I've watched. They might be in their bikinis sometimes but whatever! Beach Basketball will be an Olympic sport soon enough.
I'm not sure how it would work sand and all...

cajunator

Banned
If Guilty Crown is episodic for half the series I don't see that hindering my enjoyment that much. I enjoy shows like Noir and Burst angel, which are quite episodic until at least the halfway point, when a plot suddenly shows itself. I may very well be prepared to survive the onslaught of the show.

welp i sure have news for you

That's why I shelved it for now.

If Guilty Crown is episodic for half the series I don't see that hindering my enjoyment that much. I enjoy shows like Noir and Burst angel, which are quite episodic until at least the halfway point, when a plot suddenly shows itself. I may very well be prepared to survive the onslaught of the show.

I would not consider it episodic.

BluWacky

Those living in the London area may be interested in knowing that the BFI Southback is going to be having a screening of the first Tiger and Bunny movie on the 23rd of September (that's, like, the day after it opens in Japan).

Not sure if I'll be there myself yet - waiting on details of where in Scotland it's going to be screening that same weekend, since that's potentially a far, far shorter trip for me.

I shall keep my fingers crossed that they'll also be screening Nerawareta Gakuen relatively soon. I can't justify the trip to Scotland for just one film :(

-Minsc-

I could swear someone told me that the beginning was intentionally like that so they'd lose people with short attention spans or whatnot before getting to more traditional storytelling. At least that's what I remembered when I asked the same thing.

I remember saying that at one point. Though it's only something I read on the internet so it could very well be completely false. It sounds like a good explanation at least.

DiGiKerot

It should be noted that it's not really a "barely animated storybook" but rather an actual storybook. The book just happens to come with an image drama DVD or Blu-ray, depending on which one you get. It's not really an anime release, but an actual book. It's also pretty cheap - 3,675yen for the DVD version, and 4,200yen for the Blu-ray version.

Once again, this is a low priced actual storyboard:

img_dvd02.jpg

I've just cracked my copy open - this is true to the point that the BD is actually embedded in the back cover of the book, as opposed to having it's own case.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I dont understand the comparison to E7AO. E7AO seems much deeper and less streamlined in the plot and storytelling department than Guilty Crown. Guilty Crown's plot was paced well and just deep enough for just about everyone watching to wholly understand it and its intricate nature by the time both of the two arcs in it finished. Much of everything was explained in due time, all events actually did directly relate to this story as told in the life of Ouma Shu, and it was fitting for the delivery and support of its action. E7AO is just way more complex and pretty, at times, difficult to follow and understand without undertaking much browsing of discussion or rewatching multiple times. Both anime felt like much was happening in their story but its way harder to understand E7AO.

Uhh... E7AO had 4 episodes of intro. Followed by nearly 8 episodes of character development and world building. Then the plot kicks in. It's pretty much how GC is in terms of basic structure. I don't know what's not to get? I'm not saying E7AO's plot is crap or anything of the sort. I'm talking about how the pace of the narrative is structured. Complexity and actual plot has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Jex

natsuyuki rendezvous - 04

We might all go on and on about the NTR, but what makes us get the feels is the innate understanding of the nature of communication and how hard it is to connect with others at times, those moments when communication fails and you long to reach out to the other but they're locked in a similarly unfortunate situation. :/

The love and resentment that binds the three characters together is always interesting to see. As usual the show balances humor and /the feels/ deftly. Which is what makes it all the more bittersweet, I suppose.

Also good god what an ugly hat.

You can't talk about that episode without including a glorious image of that hat:

NatsuRend43.jpg

NeonZ

You'll notice that for the first two seasons, they were clearly continuations even though different staff and studios handled them. One is Hayate no Gotoku! and the other is Hayate no Gotoku!!

They weren't actual continuations though, "!!" just started from a later point of the manga than "!". However, due to how "!" handled things, especially later, mostly using anime-only material and going out of order with the manga adaptations, they still ended up repeating some "!" scenes during "!!".

Now, they are making it very public that they'll take a different approach with this new anime and it's supposedly completely new, but the first two seasons weren't really following up each other either.

You'll notice that for the first two seasons, they were clearly continuations even though different staff and studios handled them. One is Hayate no Gotoku! and the other is Hayate no Gotoku!!. Starting with the movie they did with Manglobe, they decided on a different format moving forward. They're keeping the title as Hayate no Gotoku! and using subtitles instead to define that story.

Season 2 is more like a reboot than a continuation. Events that are glossed over or outright skipped in s1 are gone back and given proper attention, characters that were cut out return, etc.

It sounds like this will be like that in that season 2 didn't start at the beginning, but also didn't require knowledge of the setup or previous events.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
America has like one Lebron/Jordan/Kobe/whatever every few years... here, they have 6 super awesome players gathered in one place. I really think this team is better than any American dream team ever assembled. lol
The Chicago Bulls of the 1990s.
I don't know about you, but apparently sarcasm transfers well on the internet.
I can't tell how many layers deep we are. Is this post sarcastic too?
Trying to get on UltimaDrago's good side I see.
Maybe I'm just interpreting the post wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom