• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Finally finished Area 88

Really enjoyed this anime. artwork was serviceable, really liked the supporting characters, Mickey knows how to fly in style. Don't know why but love fighters so much more than mechs.

You should probably specify which Area 88 you're talking about, as I am not entirely sure.

However, as you said the artwork was 'serviceable' I doubt you're referring to the OVA.

duckroll

Season 2 is more like a reboot than a continuation. Events that are glossed over or outright skipped in s1 are gone back and given proper attention, characters that were cut out return, etc.

It sounds like this will be like that in that season 2 didn't start at the beginning, but also didn't require knowledge of the setup or previous events.

Well, Hata has said repeatedly that this will be like how they made Heaven is a Place On Earth specifically, and that it will be an anime original story created just for the series. Like I said, I don't watch the anime, so I dunno the specifics. But it seems clear at this point that they're basically outright saying "don't expect this to adapt anything from the manga at all".

Ultimadrago

Another tidbit:

Code Geass: Nunnally in Wonderland
13,761 BD (*5,941 DVD)

xQM4o.jpg

"Good luck everybody else!"

A basketball anime beats Hyouka and Haiyore!

beautiful!

It is! It is!

Utena 2

That whole enter arena 'stock footage' sequence gonna be a thing? The song is quite badass though.

Not a fan of chuchu.

Show does give me star driver vibes.

Ultimadrago

Guilty Crown 01

It's a shame this show apparently goes off the rails, because it has one hell of an interesting intro episode. I'll jump into this rabbit hole and see how deep this shit goes.
Hold onto this end of the rope in case I can't get out.

And here
we
go.

Trying to get on UltimaDrago's good side I see.

Hito's already on my good side (according to MAL), the percentage can only go down from here.

And if I watched Doremi it would only go down from there.

That said, "The Mystical Laws" might bring a small rise.

NeonZ

Does anyone know if this woman is an anime or celebrity parody?

MysteriousWomanX.jpg

The scene in the left is from Joshiraku and the one in the right from Keroro. I guess both designs are generic enough that their similarity might be just a coincidence, but the fact that her appearance in Joshiraku was in the same scene as a Lupin cameo makes me wonder if those two designs are based on some character or person I don't know about...

Whats your verdict?

I really enjoyed it. But with how short the episodes were, I wish there was more to it, either more episodes or the episodes themselves were longer. Though I suppose it being a low budget ONA is probably the reason it is what it is.
pmbDPl.jpg

C'est la vie, it was really fun while it lasted.

cajunator

Banned
Maybe I'm just interpreting the post wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't positive.

Are you positive it wasnt positive? Are you negative that its positive? Why couldnt you be positive that it was positive or negative that it was negative? Im positive that it was positively positive. Don't be so negative.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really enjoyed it. But with how short the episodes were, I wish there was more to it, either more episodes or the episodes themselves were longer. Though I suppose it being a low budget ONA is probably the reason it is what it is.
pmbDPl.jpg

ThPD1.jpg

God dammit. Whenever I read C'est la vie now I can hear my soul cry in pain as it remembers Usagi singing Sailah Vee over and over and over. I should have never watched PGSM.

Ultimadrago

Looks like you're gonna be a Nichibro!

Man I miss that show. Too bad nobody bought it :(

I prefer the term "Nichijoubro", albeit less catchy. "Nichibro" reminds me of an inferior show.
Also, that read as a negative review.

One more thing! I miss it too. Anime consumers love to ignore purchasing great things. The most recent exception being Fate/Zero. They thankfully bought Fate/Zero. (But seeing as it's a prequel, I am guessing that means we'll just get...truckloads of pre-painted figures and nendos)

===========================

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 4

jZnLM.png

Stupid kids.

Again, while most of this isn't funny, I do like some of the character interactions. The teacher's disgust at the incorrect math problems was a small spectacle. Seriously, Moriaki is off his rocker.

Anyways, that's the Tuesday watch.

wfWOM.jpg

Papa no Baka everywhere.

On a separate note, ugly CG hallway sequences are bad.

Horizon II 04

uIXHu.gif

Ninja Art of Rejecting Boobs

Another downtime episode, which wasn't bad. A lot of time spent on Mr. Ninja and The Cloak which wasn't bad at least giving focus on someone they didn't spend a lot of time last season.

The school festival wasn't Hyouka-level of brilliant, but it does look like it will much more action packed starting next episode.

Also, it was bath time, so boobs everywhere. I did like the summoning near the end, just not sure if it had to be in the bath or was it just convenient to do so.

Nanoha Striker S 4

So when a mommy device and a daddy device loves each other very much...

And all the limiter talk sure does remind me of Other M. Having power levels locked down due to politics and military structure is quite a big ass shounen boner killer eh?

I guess this is one of the big disappointments eh?

At least it seems like something is finally happening next eps, but fighting robots sure is boring compare to fighting mahou lolis of before :/

Narag

ThPD1.jpg

God dammit. Whenever I read C'est la vie now I can hear my soul cry in pain as it remembers Usagi singing Sailah Vee over and over and over. I should have never watched PGSM.

It's not that you should have never watched it so much rather that it should have never ended. I have a PGSM-sized hole in my heart nowadays.

trejo

Kokoro Connect 4

Not really liking this episode at all. In my opinion, what this show needs is more lighthearted body swapping shennanigans and much, much less of just a couple of characters standing around talking at each other about their feelings or just plain old waxing philosophical. Worse of all is that they present this in the most boring possible way, with a ton of close-ups of their faces while their mouths are happily flapping up and down.

Taichi's white knight schtick is also starting to get really annoying.

Well this is an awkward way to release the Persona 4 anime here
HOUSTON, July 31, 2012 – Sentai Filmworks announces a release configuration change. The September 18, 2012 release of “Persona 4 The Animation” Collection 1 on Blu-Ray will contain English language dub but not the original Japanese language. This change has been required by the Japanese licensor.

The revised Blu-Ray configuration of “Persona 4 The Animation” Collection 1 will be priced at $59.98 reflecting a shift from the former $69.98 price point.

“Persona 4 The Animation” Collection 1 on DVD will contain both English and Japanese audio, as well as the Japanese episode commentaries. Pricing for the DVD release is unchanged.

I liked the JPN audio, but I wanted blu ray...

A Black Falcon

For some reason since work has begun to suck majorly yet again I've decided to continue watching Campione! so that I'm less comfortable at home and have a reason to leave the apartment, have you seen episode 3 yet? Or is it 4? I think it's 4. Anyways, episode 4 spoiler and question:
So since the girl saved the guy twice now is that sexist as well or is it just when the guy saves the girl?
Aside from that, everything else in the damn episode's pretty fucking sexist so don't think I'm defending it.

Also, fuck them for making Athena a loli and having her wear at cat-hat-whatever-the-fuck thing.
I haven't even gotten myself to watch ep. 2 yet.

Saki side A 6

girls can't get bester than this.
Yuu's good, but I like Kuro more myself.

pmbDPl.jpg

Penguin Musume Heart is great fun. It's too bad that there isn't more of it.

Saki 01

There is joy to be found here.

Hnnnnngfuls of joy.

And mahjong. I kind of like mahjong too.
Yes, yes there is. I still don't know how it took you so long to watch this...

Nanoha Striker S 4

So when a mommy device and a daddy device loves each other very much...

And all the limiter talk sure does remind me of Other M. Having power levels locked down due to politics and military structure is quite a big ass shounen boner killer eh?

I guess this is one of the big disappointments eh?

At least it seems like something is finally happening next eps, but fighting robots sure is boring compare to fighting mahou lolis of before :/
StrikerS is like... half as good as A's, max. Probably even less. Huge disappointment. I mean, it's not actually terrible -- it's okay, overall -- but it's nothing compared to the first two seasons. It could have been good (older Nanoha and Fate were nice to see, for instance), but it wasn't. And what's worse is that both of the spinoff mangas that followed it up. Vivid and Force, aren't very good either. Force is especially bad; it's really nothing at all like the rest of the franchise. "Generic harem action starring a guy" is closer to the truth for that one. Vivid isn't quite as bad as that, but still... meh.

At least there's the movies... those are good. I do think that the first season of the TV show is better than the movie -- the movie's quite confusing for anyone who hasn't seen the show, that's for sure -- but it was great anyway. I'm certainly looking forward to whenever the second one releases on discs.

Isn't Nanoha just a mahou shoujo show?
No, it's a shonen action show with magical girls, pretty much. It's not shoujo.

Episode 3 marked the transition from aliens & schoolgirl guro to military mecha!! Also something something likeable cast and better everything.
I'm sure those girls will eventually get guroed too. That is what the show's about, after all.

Today's light-novel-turned-manga-turned-anime doesn't have as long a name as usual -- Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko (official English title "The 'HENTAI' prince and the stony cat"). The synopsis, as abridged from various sources:

LN volume 1 cover:
I've read some of the manga, and it started out somewhat amusing, but there was some plot development recently, and it's gotten more generic and less interesting. Not sure if it'll be worth it anymore.

BluWacky

Well this is an awkward way to release the Persona 4 anime here

I liked the JPN audio, but I wanted blu ray...

Atlus strikes again, presumably, after the Persona 4 Arena game issues! Not a huge surprise I guess in the circumstances (clearly they're still scared of reverse importation) but disappointing nonetheless for people wanting to pick up the show.

Horizon s2 4

Exposition/downtime episode. Of course with an oddball cast like this, I don't mind. Boobs everywhere and Tori STILL being naked.

Looks like next episode will be rather significant. Should be fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lololololol

I guess it's to prevent reverse importation cause I guess this is somewhat close enough somehow just without any of the nice extras and boxart that P4 BDs are being tossed with.

Wow, fuck Japan. We're now at a point where the shitty Japanese market is basically fucking over the North American market. :/

Theonik

Wait wut? This sounds... What the fuck?
The sensible gaijin pricing hurts the Japanese overlords so they sabotage the US version to prevent people importing that instead. Normal Japanese licensor way of thinking. Be glad this isn't like PSG and our Japanese overlords were merciful. PSG was only released on DVD for that in the west

Thoraxes

The sensible gaijin pricing hurts the Japanese overlords so they sabotage the US version to prevent people importing that instead. Normal Japanese licensor way of thinking. Be glad this isn't like PSG and our Japanese overlords were merciful. PSG was only released on DVD for that in the west

I would rather they delay the release by two years and give me dual audio than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom