• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Brothers 18

This show just keeps getting better. This is such a great great GREAT series.
Also, the new ED is REALLY excellent. Not so keen on the OP.

It's certainly one of my favorite series of the year so far. Didn't like the new OP at first either but it has started to grow on me.

Narag

I had never heard of this before; though, the cover art seems vaguely familiar. It actually sounds and looks pretty interesting. It also reminds me A LOT of Birth (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2662), an OVA directed by Shinya Sadamitsu and had Yoshinori Kanada as the lead animator.

Take a look at these:

It is even featured in that video you linked, the Kanada style animation one @3:39 (Which makes sense since this IS Kanada :p ). But you should definitely check it out. I ranks high in my "Random OVAs that turn out to be awesome" list (Not a real list)

Yeah I'm looking forward to Birth It's one of those thingsI keep putting off even though I know better!

That should be a real list too. So much awesome stuff seems forgotten or ignored due to age and availability of other anime.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon S 102

3CzKn.gif

wMZsp.gif

ztt9F.gif

cajunator

Banned
Guilty Crown 01

It's a shame this show apparently goes off the rails, because it has one hell of an interesting intro episode. I'll jump into this rabbit hole and see how deep this shit goes.
Hold onto this end of the rope in case I can't get out.

Defuser

Guilty Crown 01

It's a shame this show apparently goes off the rails, because it has one hell of an interesting intro episode. I'll jump into this rabbit hole and see how deep this shit goes.

Fucking Hiroyuki Yoshino. Apparently the guy can't write original story for shit. Amazingly he hasn't crash and burn Accel world yet but most likely will crash and burn for To Aru Majutsu no Index movie.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Guilty Crown 01

Exactly what I thought.

Narag

I'm sorry, but I really can't see how anyone could draw any other conclusion from these 12 episodes.

I interpreted their early presence as an example of the show played straight where the enemy is taken seriously and the slice of life is ignored due to the severity of the threat. They do come across as harsh but the regular Senshi are liability in their lesser power and inexperience. You might find then more palatable after motivations are further revealed though. Also something something thematic about not being able to do it all on their own. There's a slow shift too I found really enjoyable as they became more passive in their approach as the regular Senshi become more capable in their own ability.

In short, their presence is meant to shake things up and they do a great job of it.

Guilty Crown 01

Guilty Crown copied Code Geass wich in turn copied Death Note wich in turn copied Legend of the Galactic Heroes. ^_^

Guilty Crown 01

Yeah, pretty much. I dropped it after 3-4 eps. Let me know if it's worth sticking it through.
Guilty Crown copied Code Geass wich in turn copied Death Note wich in turn copied Legend of the Galactic Heroes. ^_^
How so?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I interpreted their early presence as an example of the show played straight where the enemy is taken seriously and the slice of life is ignored due to the severity of the threat. They do come across as harsh but the regular Senshi are liability in their lesser power and inexperience. You might find then more palatable after motivations are further revealed though. Also something something thematic about not being able to do it all on their own. There's a slow shift too I found really enjoyable as they became more passive in their approach as the regular Senshi become more capable in their own ability.

In short, their presence is meant to shake things up and they do a great job of it.

I don't have an issue with them shaking things up, it's that
they're hypocritical, arrogant, obtuse, selfishly heroic, selfishly unheroic, have too much bravado, and are portrayed in a manner inconsistent with their actions. That's the part I dislike about them.

jbug617

Banned
I wouldn't mind to see Kuroko get more episodes so they can keep on the pace their going. I feel that if they are scheduled for 26 episodes they have a lot of stuff to cram into the 9 remaining.

cajunator

Banned
Guilty Crown 02

So far so good.
Not sure what the fuck is going on yet and I may never will, but this is fun to watch.
I like stupid action movies, and so far, this is just fine.

Narag

I don't have an issue with them shaking things up, it's that
they're hypocritical, arrogant, obtuse, selfishly heroic, selfishly unheroic, have too much bravado, and are portrayed in a manner inconsistent with their actions. That's the part I dislike about them.

I'll put this on hold for now. Ill be curious if your opinion changes much after 106.

kayos90

Guilty Crown 02

So far so good.
Not sure what the fuck is going on yet and I may never will, but this is fun to watch.
I like stupid action movies, and so far, this is just fine.

If you like just mindless action and stuff then it's not bad. The problem is that they promote drama and it seems like they want the audience to invest in the narrative, when it's sort of hard to...

If you like just mindless action and stuff then it's not bad. The problem is that they promote drama and it seems like they want the audience to invest in the narrative, when it's sort of hard to...

GC really gets bad after 10 episodes or so. Story seems interesting, but there are too many plotholes and there is no character development, their actions are all driven by their emotions and the anime falls into all sorts of cliches. Thats why I gave it a 2 on Mal.

kayos90

GC really gets bad after 10 episodes or so. Story seems interesting, but there are too many plotholes and there is no character development, their actions are all driven by their emotions and the anime falls into all sorts of cliches. Thats why I gave it a 2 on Mal.

The problem with shows like GC, imo, is that the plot doesn't start until like 9/13 episodes in. And when it does occur it's just a massive info dump and rushes thing at an absurdly dumb rate. I just didn't know what this show wanted in the end.

cajunator

Banned

I do like mindless action anime sometimes, so its quite possible that I will enjoy this show a bit. Some things annoy me already, like everything about Shu and that asshole
Daryl
but overall its a fun watch.

The problem with shows like GC, imo, is that the plot doesn't start until like 9/13 episodes in. And when it does occur it's just a massive info dump and rushes thing at an absurdly dumb rate. I just didn't know what this show wanted in the end.

Agreed, the anime didn't have a "soul" of its own.

mAcOdIn

I disagree with a lot of what you say, but for some reason I don't mind seeing your insight into some things. I 'm probably biased because you appear to have a YUA avatar. Plus you like Rally Vincent and thats always cool with me.
I do have a YUA avatar and anyone who dislikes Rally should be crucified. That said, what exactly do you disagree with, I'm flexible with most things but I can't let the Tessa hate go, I pray you're not a fan of hers.
Whaaaaat! What about Hinata? :I
Who's Hinata?
He would absolutely loathe her.
I probably would.

A Black Falcon

For some reason since work has begun to suck majorly yet again I've decided to continue watching Campione! so that I'm less comfortable at home and have a reason to leave the apartment, have you seen episode 3 yet? Or is it 4? I think it's 4. Anyways, episode 4 spoiler and question:
So since the girl saved the guy twice now is that sexist as well or is it just when the guy saves the girl?
Aside from that, everything else in the damn episode's pretty fucking sexist so don't think I'm defending it.

Also, fuck them for making Athena a loli and having her wear at cat-hat-whatever-the-fuck thing.

So I showed a friend of mine Hyouka recently and he likes it and caught up with it.
But now I am afraid to inquire on his team.
What if he is wrong?
Can friendship sustain in the worst-case-scenario?

But the anime has such a high review score average. I think 2 is pretty low. There was also pretty extensive character development that becomes quite noticeable in both antagonists and protagonists.

The elements of the plot were present way earlier than that. The subtle comments made about the premise and character motivations to drive the plot forward existed from the first episode and were consistently revisited, and even brief glimpses into a few things that were interspersed well were there. Stating that there was a massive info dumb gives the implication that Guilty Crown had this huge sprawling deep complex plot which is far from the truth. It was streamlined and quite simple and easy to follow, that when the information was presented it was more a summary to make sure everyone was caught up on things. I dont mean to be a Guilty Crown apologist, but I think it set out to deliver a unique storytelling and action experience that numerous action oriented anime failed to achieve in recent times.

RKB 2

Wow. That was surprisingly not... bad? Show actually isn't terrible when they aren't throwing naked lolis in your face, which this eps had none.

Which makes eps 1 quite... baffling? (I think my mind blocked out eps 1...)

Anyhow hopefully there are more eps like this and less like eps 1. The idea of a fairly standard sports show that stars cute girls is fine. It all depends on which side of the line they step around more often.

And the cg basketball is superior to kuroko's.

kayos90

But the anime has such a high review score average. I think 2 is pretty low. There was also pretty extensive character development that becomes quite noticeable in both antagonists and protagonists.

The elements of the plot were present way earlier than that. The subtle comments made about the premise and character motivations to drive the plot forward existed from the first episode and were consistently revisited, and even brief glimpses into a few things that were interspersed well were there. Stating that there was a massive info dumb gives the implication that Guilty Crown had this huge sprawling deep complex plot which is far from the truth. It was streamlined and quite simple and easy to follow, that when the information was presented it was more a summary to make sure everyone was caught up on things.

Plot did not move at all. It was just random escapades by Funeral Parlor doing stuff. They always alluded to something bigger but it never moved into that direction until late into the series, much to my dismay. This the exact problem with E7AO with me. Sure I'm seeing character development/explanation and such but by piling episodes on episodes of the stuff for a long time means that you have so little for plot. It's just not paced very well in the grander scheme of things imo. I would give the show a six out of ten because everything about the show is okay to average with the exception of animation and music.

cajunator

Banned
RKB 2

Wow. That was surprisingly not... bad? Show actually isn't terrible when they aren't throwing naked lolis in your face, which this eps had none.

Anyhow hopefully there are more eps like this and less like eps 1. The idea of a fairly standard sports show that stars cute girls is fine. It all depends on which side of the line they step around more often.

Yeah its not bad when they dont go all out fanservice, but they go all out fanservice many more times. I havent gone beyond episode 2 yet but I might continue it eventually.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
RKB 2

*high five*

I agree the show would have been better without the blatant fanservice but meh whatever.

And RKB has more actual and enjoyable basketball to it then any other basketball series I've watched. They might be in their bikinis sometimes but whatever! Beach Basketball will be an Olympic sport soon enough.

*high five*

I agree the show would have been better without the blatant fanservice but meh whatever.

And RKB has more actual and enjoyable basketball to it then any other basketball series I've watched. They might be in their bikinis sometimes but whatever! Beach Basketball will be an Olympic sport soon enough.

can't wait. Would get dudes to watch ladies basketball.

Seriously i recall in highschool they pretty much gave you a free t-shirt, coke, hotdog, chips, with the $5 ticket to get people to watch our team lol.

cajunator

Banned
Guilty Crown 03

SHU YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

also, Inori is a puppet.
And that is one HELL of a cool power that Shu has. Whatever it is. He doesn't deserve a power that cool, but whatever.
Three eps is enough for now. Gonna watch something else. I'll come back to this later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom