• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mawaru-Penguindrum 7:

Suddenly, mahou. I don't even know where this show thinks it's going, or even if it knows where it's going. But now we have random majutsu shit so there isn't any going back. Poor Shouma, he's in way over his head with Ringo. Also, the M in Project M is revealed. Kanba continues his trajectory independently of Shouma's and they are only briefly reunited by the power of ROCK OVER JAPAN.

Speaking of ROCK OVER JAPAN: The actual sequence of animation is actually pretty intentionally symbolic. A lot of symbolism in this show is borderline incoherent, but ROCK OVER JAPAN definitely isn't. The rocket drops onto the train tracks and is fired out of the barrel of the phallus in a manner representative of sperm being ejaculated. The rocket itself is an amazing multi-staged phallus which unites vigorously with the vagina, then the joined assembly erects itself and transforms into a white figure. This resulting whilte figure (also seen in the OP) becomes pregnant and the belly opens and Himari-Hat emerges. Then the backbone-stairs descends and it is also a phallus which penetrates the black figure, which becomes pregnant and then the belly opens and the people Himari-Hat is speaking to emerge.

The lyrics for ROCK OVER JAPAN are oddly topical as well for the subject matter of the show. It seems pretty clear that this particular song was chosen intentionally for this show because of it's lyrics. It's funny to think that when this song debuted in Japan I was still a small child.

Dresden

Just posting this because I love this picture for some odd reason.

Kp1p9.png

dog girls > cat girls

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
K... I'm getting the impression that you guys are just trolling me to watch shit anime... What the hell guys.

Branduil

Why are you guys trying to beat up on kayos? Seriously, this is something I don't like about Anime-GAF.

Hey I only recommended shows I actually gained enjoyment from. I can't speak for others.

K... I'm getting the impression that you guys are just trolling me to watch shit anime... What the hell guys.

I legitimately like Now and Then, Here and There.

Black Rock Shooter TV is not good, but it can be entertaining in the sense of being so bad and melodramatic that it's fun.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
so I guess these are the tweets from urobuchi about his america: the experience...

elsewhere

I feel like this probably warrants more discussion than it's getting, but I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't know enough about the Japanese anime community or American con culture to make an informed statement on anything.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

People may be incorrectly assuming that it's the kind of anime you're looking to watch given the thread's general opinion of AnoHana.

When people intentionally recommend bad anime they should at least be fully transparent about their intent, I suppose. I've tried to be better about it.

As far as legitimate recommendations of good things worth watching go, Ano Natsu de Matteru would be your best bet. You'd probably like Shinkai's works if you haven't seen them already - 5 Centimeters per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Voices of a Distant Star. The tone of Hotarubi no Mori e would also suit what you're looking for.

cajunator

Banned

Don't worry, you're not the first, and you wont be the last.

Hey I only recommended shows I actually gained enjoyment from. I can't speak for others.

I legitimately like Now and Then, Here and There.

Black Rock Shooter TV is not good, but it can be entertaining in the sense of being so bad and melodramatic that it's fun.

Wait a minute someone else here actually liked Now and Then Here or There?
Like actually liked it in an unironic way?
This makes me happy.

Also, when I recommend shows like Yami To Boshi to Hon No Tabibito, I am wholly sincere. I even gave it a 10.

While I've only seen five episodes, Texhnolyze was a legitimate recommendation. The atmosphere is gritty and bleak, the art is excellent, the characters are intriguing, and the music is awesome. I'm not really sure what genre to file it under other than the rather vague "Sci-Fi."

Full series is on Hulu.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
As far as legitimate recommendations of good things worth watching go, Ano Natsu de Matteru would be your best bet. You'd probably like Shinkai's works if you haven't seen them already - 5 Centimeters per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Voices of a Distant Star. The tone of Hotarubi no Mori e would also suit what you're looking for.

Thanks buddy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wait a minute someone else here actually liked Now and Then Here or There?
Like actually liked it in an unironic way?
This makes me happy.

I get the impression that the detractors are merely much louder than the fans, not necessarily greater in number.

If he sincerely enjoyed Anohana, jumping straight into 5 Centimeters per Second might kill him.

cajunator

Banned
so I guess these are the tweets from urobuchi about his america: the experience...

elsewhere

Somehow I missed this the first time. Ive read about how great American Otaku culture is to Japanese visitors before as well. It makes me happy to belong to such a group of like-minded brothers and sisters who share in this same devotion in a peaceful manner. I love you all sincerely. You are all really awesome people.

I think that picture just gave me a heart attack.

Yeah that was pretty much my initial reaction to that picture when I saw it.

I get the impression that the detractors are merely much louder than the fans, not necessarily greater in number.

I think that really might be true. I really enjoyed a lot of anime that people here like to shit on for some reason (Fate Stay Night, Angel Beats, NTHT, a bunch of harem shows), but everybody is entitled to an opinion of course. Its just interesting to see this microcosm that thinks so differently than what the apparent majority does. I like the influx of different opinions and insights into shows that the mainstream does not seem to recognize that keeps my backlog growing.

Mawaru-Penguindrum 8:

SHIT

JUST

GOT

REAL

Fuck, I gotta go to sleep soon and I have to leave off for tonight at this cliffhanger. I wasn't even going to watch this episode tonight. Goddammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom