• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
I like angel Beats, but LOL.

Hmm it's not in my top 10 but I thought it was a great concept that would have been even better if the characters were fleshed out a bit more. I can understand why someone would have it in their top 10. Especially if they haven't seen a lot of shows

That ending song and the end sequences were great too

Jex

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 5
This is great, sad its so short though.

Judging by what happens to other Gundam works when they start to get long I'm actually glad that War in the Pocket is so compact. I'd rather have a short, excellent OVA then an average series.

wonzo

Banned
AnimeGAF should just have its own realpic thing for like a day. Just be sure not to post outside of the thread and you don't have anything to worry about.
but i'm hermes irl

*yuri sense tingling*

SYwos.png

Is this yuri I see?!

*adds to list*
do it for sensei-sensei

Jex

AKB0048 1 Directors Cut

Yep, this show still pretty much owns but now with a few extra scenes added that I don't really remember being in the original episode, most notably of which is one that lays on the Yuri pretty thick! The CG also seemed to look better so maybe they touched that up a bit for the BD's.

So, you just can't get enough AKB0048, huh? What drives you to watch it again?

Jex

Are any of you fans of Oh Edo Rocket?
I started watching that the other day. Its pretty bizarre but a lot of fun. I don't really know what to make of it yet (2 episodes)

Well, I don't know how popular Oh Edo Rocket is in here but the few of us who've seen it have fairly positive impressions. It's certainly one of my favourite anime comedies and it's one of the few works I've seen that can mix comedy and drama without suffering from mood whiplash.

Jex

Sure, but it's the unfortunate truth that the English language is not equipped to handle gender ambiguity. You've got to be a he or a she, and people pick one based what can be deduced or assumed.

And, unfortunately, the default gender in English is male. There's a pretty good episode of the Lexicon Valley podcast about the subject of gender pronouns here, if anyone is interested: http://www.slate.com/articles/podca...ender_neutral_alternative_to_he_and_she_.html

Nafe

AKB0048 1 Directors Cut

I'd like to be able to see this soon for myself. I had too much fun with this show. Episode 3 will probably remain my favorite barring any major changes to the Blu-ray. I wish it was 2013 so we could have more AKB0048 and Sailor Moon.

Hah, you should see what he's been posting in the manga thread.

Maybe he doesn't mean any harm by it but how his opinion comes across with most female characters I find it both saddening and disturbing honestly.

Emunoz looks like Lupin in real life.

A few of us are MtF.

If I saw that before then I forgot. If I'm getting the meaning to the second then I'm definitely only one gender.

Reading reactions to his posts is such fun.

Yeah and personally I think I went through one of those five phases type things regarding his posts. I'm still not sure if I'm at "acceptance" yet though. I don't like his view regarding many female characters personally.

Jex

i just gotta see the directors cut for the true AKB0048 experience that Kawamori intended

So, did Kawamori always intend for their to be more yuri undertones or did the studio slap them in there because they thought it would drive sales?

I am pretty sure that the Kawamori I know and love would have liked to insert some more fabulous environmental messages. Sadly the studio's just wont let him unleash his full power.

Emitan

If I saw that before then I forgot. If I'm getting the meaning to the second then I'm definitely only one gender.

*wakes up and gets out of bed*

MtF or FtM doesn't mean two genders. It's a transition from one body to another to match the individual's gender identity. Trans women such as myself were never truly men, we only look like them.

*goes back to bed*

NewFresh

I don't understand this. Probably something that happened even before my reading days?

More IRC related. Seems like Hito already exposed my true identity!

MtF or FtM doesn't mean two genders. It's a transition from one body to another to match the individual's gender identity. Trans women such as myself were never truly men, we only look like them.

*goes back to bed*

Well put sleepy Billiechu.

wonzo

Banned
So, did Kawamori always intend for their to be more yuri undertones or did the studio slap them in there because they thought it would drive sales?

I am pretty sure that the Kawamori I know and love would have liked to insert some more fabulous environmental messages. Sadly the studio's just wont let him unleash his full power.
The commentary about the black pillars of smog blocking the sky followed by the brand new wide shot of the open strip mine are testament to Kawamori's vital environmental message.

That's impossible; El Cantare is currently inhabiting the body of one Mr. Ookawa Ryuuhou.
think about it...
Well now you've just outed wonzo's identity.
WE'RE NOT WORTHY
rebirthofbuddhaa.jpg

Jex

You can learn things from others, sure, but you have to know how to apply them properly yourself. And learning how to apply things properly is more complicated than it sounds.

If you just imitate somebody in full, that's failure.

dTom3.png

Now there's a life lesson that Coach from Aim for the Ace! tried to teach everyone.

Narag

Saiunkoku Monogatari 6

I came back to this and forgot about the poisoning stuff just in time to see Shurei get kidnapped
fuuuck. God damn, Seiran is such a badass.
Shurei's father too. Wow.

All these crazy revelations the past couple eps and I can't help but eat it up.

cajunator

Banned
AnimeGAF should just have its own realpic thing for like a day. Just be sure not to post outside of the thread and you don't have anything to worry about.

This would be pretty interesting actually. I doubt anyone here has creeper tendencies.

Anohana

I think I enjoyed the show overall more than I did Clannad but the best part of Clannad doesn't really top the best part of Anohana. Anyway, comparisons aside, the following is my thought and the possible review of Anohana I guess.

Anohana was amazing in almost every single way. It excelled in a plot that gripped me straight from the beginning and all the way to the end - despite its somewhat awkward execution. I think the aspect that stood out to me most was the dichotomy of friendships as a child and as a teenager. After watching the show I realize how naive, idealistic, uncaring, and innocent children are. These friendships create I think the more pure friendships at heart despite the negative feelings. It isn't until that people grow older and older that we become more aware of these negative feelings and it changes us. For the Peace Busters it was harder than ever as the link the binded them shattered. With Menma dead nothing could keep them in check and nothing held them together.

I think Anohana is a story of what friends hide each from other, how friendships last throughout time, how friendship changes us while all the time keeping us the same, and how friends are ultimately what drives us to do the things we do sometimes - whether it be good or bad. In all honesty, I watch Anohana and it helps me to remember that I am still the same person as I was over a decade ago while still being different. It also helps me to know that the friendship that I forged and broke long ago also created the person I am. Seeing how everyone reacted to Menma and their friendship with each other pretty much revealed to me the depth of their sadness as well as their happiness.

I would say that Anohana is much more than a simple anime because in many ways it could very well reflect our encounters with our friends now and how we interacted with friends previously. The childish innocence eventually grows out as we become older. People change for the worse, they become more refined and become more realistic. However, at the same time, it's our childhood friendships and the past that we cling to that can help bring out our old selves again.

The tangents, random events, and more helped me to realize that Anohana wasn't really filled with filler plot but events that help each of the characters reach rock bottom, only to ultimately prevail their sadness and anguish and rise above it. Acceptance of Menma's death and their selfish past that consumed them over the years quickly dissipates as they wave good bye.

Ultimately, I found the ending to be sort of contrived because it felt pointless. The first half of the last episode was exceptionally amazing and I was expecting a cliche ending. However, what I got was a lengthy second half that felt tacked on just for some random emotional tugging. It wasn't extremely bad but it didn't help either.

Overall, I'd recommend this show to anyone who enjoys drama and a good story. I haven't experienced something like it in quite some while and it was a thrill marathoning it.

Honestly, I felt positively enough about the show to buy it, despite its weaknesses. It does stray from the core story a bit too much and some truly stupid stuff goes on that even annoyed me, but when it comes down to it, I felt the show had a lot of heart and was definitely a very sad and tragic little story. I think it doesnt deserve all the hate it gets here. But everybody does love that ending theme.

Cencoroll

This really feels like a self-contained pilot for a tv show. The OVA hints at a bunch of stuff but never really addresses anything. It's more an introduction into the world than anything else. I did like the artstyle but nothing stood out to me. I am impressed how Atsuya did most of this by himself as it must have taken him an ungodly amount of time.

The little bits of pieces, music-wise, were very nice. Too bad there wasn't more of it. Ryo is truly a master at his craft and I would like to hear more works done by him.

I liked the female lead as she had some spunk to her compared to the rather apathetic main lead. You could see her becoming more comfortable as the episode went along.

As for the monsters, I wasn't impressed by their design as they're mostly blobs but Cenco had a bit of a personality that you could see primarily through his eyes.

There really isn't that much to talk about due to how short it is, but I would like to see more in this universe even if this episode isn't fantastic in its own right.

You aint kiddin. Cencoroll was a lot of fun to watch being so short and I have seen in numerous times. The monsters are all hideous, but really adorable in a way. It was all just really weird and yet cute at the same time and I really enjoyed it.

This much chet?

That's a lotta :Chet, plus a butt.

I can't ask anyone else to show their face when I'm too self conscious to. All of GirlGAF is so much more beautiful than me!

awww. We're all beautiful avatars!

Hito will probably force me to dress up as a catgirl maid.

I'm not complaining

No complaints here either.

:chet implies breast size, not gender! Nafe could just be a man of..........extraordinarily imposing carriage.

The people I saw riding the DC Metro...

Concept associated with said person.

:cajun -> Cuteness or "HNNNNGGH"

:firehawk -> Mono no aware

:chet -> Breasts, large breasts, and overwhelmingly large breasts

don't forget :Hix
RIP HIX :(

Fair 'nuff, but on a forum where perspectives & topics of discussion skew heavily male-oriented, I don't think there is anything untoward about assuming a predominantly male membership, or even assuming someone claiming to be female is lying- given that it would have been preferable, especially until recently, in most cases not to admit that. It also makes it ideal to "hide" and purposely avoid correcting those assumptions, since being female alters perception/treatment and attracts several varieties of un/wanted attention; this partly is why I never bother(ed) to correct people on misused pronouns or w/e.

Also because this tag makes it totally awkward nao.

This is also why I avoid using gender when talking about Kino's Journey to avoid potential spoilers.

What happens when an anime manages to combine all three?

Miracles!

But it has cajun's stamp of approval, so it must be cute.

Pin Pon! Sou Desu!

I choose to avoid using that term with someone who tends to get banned for racism. :(

That's not right. I got banned for trolling in a thread discussing an ad that was branded racist, and I disagreed. But Im also part Chinese anyway. Perhaps I was being too insular saying it didn't bother me or whatever, but I wasnt being racist myself. Thats the biggest misconception about my ban and that thread.

Hmm it's not in my top 10 but I thought it was a great concept that would have been even better if the characters were fleshed out a bit more. I can understand why someone would have it in their top 10. Especially if they haven't seen a lot of shows

That ending song and the end sequences were great too

The music I had absolutely no problem with. Such as this incredibly awesome piece here. Angel Beats gets a terrible rap here but I still enjoyed it a lot for what it was. Sure it was overly melodramatic, but it was KEY. What else did people expect of it?

Well, I don't know how popular Oh Edo Rocket is in here but the few of us who've seen it have fairly positive impressions. It's certainly one of my favourite anime comedies and it's one of the few works I've seen that can mix comedy and drama without suffering from mood whiplash.

Thats good to hear that even the monocles enjoy this one. I'll definitely continue. Been watching it with one of my friends.

I'm tired.

cvqD2.png

Good Night Anime-GAF.

:Cajunnnnnnnn

Mawaru-Penguindrum 6:

The story now coalesces into two distinct threads. Shouma and Ringo follow one thread, Kanba follows the other solo.

In today's example of creative weapon design, a laser-sighted slingshot. Wut. It's one hell of a slingshot though, if I had one of those in Call of Duty/Gears of War/Halo/etc. I would be BOOM HEADSHOTTING people all day and night.

Ringo's stalker origins are revealed and they are even more gloriously twisted than I could have imagined. She seems to like using Shouma as her stand-in for Keiju though. I wonder how he feels about that. She was kind of hot when she was abusing him, I bet Shouma wasn't expecting what he got when he made the bargain with Ringo to become her personal slave in exchange for borrowing her Future Diary, which isn't really a Future Diary. His life would be easier if he were Yukki and he had Yuno around.

Meanwhile Kanba is doing his own thing. Bunch of shit is getting real in his arc even as Ringo is busy becoming Shouma's tsundere waifu without even realizing it because she's too busy doing whatever it is she thinks she is doing with Keiju.

Narag

The wide shot of the open strip mine and the commentary about the black pillars of smog blocking the sky are testament to Kawamori's vital environmental message.

I'd say the prison in the strip mine later on fits too as a perfect example of how mankind has become shackled by destructive industry.

Branduil

I was remarking on the assumption but I may also still be female. To be honest I don't really want to give out any personal information such as gender, age or country if that's okay.

Poor Nafe, now we all practically know her home address. Well, it's a valuable lesson to always be careful on the internet, and especially GAF. Someone will always try to uncover the truth, and not even former mods can escape detective-GAF's power.

We're all pretty nice in this thread though.

Jex

I'd say the prison in the strip mine later on fits too as a perfect example of how mankind has become shackled by destructive industry.

As Blake once wrote:

In every cry of every Man,
In every Infant’s cry of fear,
In every voice, in every ban,
The mind-forg'd manacles I hear.

How the Chimney-sweeper’s cry
Every black'ning Church appalls

Narag

As Blake once wrote:

In every cry of every Man,
In every Infant’s cry of fear,
In every voice, in every ban,
The mind-forg'd manacles I hear.

How the Chimney-sweeper’s cry
Every black'ning Church appalls

This is the second time William Blake has come up for me tonight.

Nafe

Anyone who's also a Mio fan is a good person in my book.
ITux3l.png

What's your fanclub membership card number? Haha.

KOTH, I just want to say that your avatar cracks me up and were I ever to build a creepy totem of gaffots & their avatars, you'd definitely be included.

I agree that KOTravellingHobo has one of the best avatars on NeoGaf. They probably realized he was too amazing and felt bad to have the other avatars compete with how great he is.

*goes back to bed*

Okay so is this also for someones personality too or is this just a physical thing?

More IRC related. Seems like Hito already exposed my true identity!

Well put sleepy Billiechu.

Ok, I see.

I'm usually rambling most the time, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I suppose AnimeGaf is often like that isn't it?

I'm tired.

http://i.imgur.com/cvqD2.png[IMG]

Good Night Anime-GAF.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not tired but I have to go. When I get back, probably hours from now, everyone will forget that I might of mentioned being :Chet At least no one outside of AnimeGaf knows what that means anyway.

I'm probably going to have a lot of catching up to do too, this thread seems to have gone back into overdrive.

Lurky

Nurse Witch Komugi 1
Holy crap komugi was soooo cute
and flat
the entire episode. And that
bath scene
was a nice bonus. I can't believe i haven't seen this sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom