• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
If you want to say that the average Western otaku is likely a culturally myopic individual focussed on anime to the exclusion not only of other mediums but also even of those works commonly respected by those not exclusively interested in said medium, go for it.

That's a depressing point to make.

Wow. People need to go out and explore other entertainment/ entertainment mediums. Jeez...

There are no good tv shows no more, and most end up being cancelled prematurely anyway so why waste time watching, movies are just sequels after sequels so it got dull, and games, only good games are those that are like anime, in my opinion (NUNS for example)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There are no good tv shows no more, and most end up being cancelled prematurely anyway so why waste time watching, movies are just sequels after sequels so it got dull, and games, only good games are those that are like anime, in my opinion (NUNS for example)

What? Uh... I disagree... Extremely disagree.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
DTL was just disappointed at the lack of Wilson/House in House.

Jarmel

Banned

Come on.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men are currently airing. I can understand it not being your cup of tea but I certainly wouldn't call them not good. As for the good games line, I don't know where to start.

Muv-Luv

It's truly the show of the season with the best QUALITY scenes.
Why is Muv-Luv so perfect?
The shame is strong:
ib0fdsyRosfjSi.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oda Nobuna 10

9X5owl.jpg

I really love how shameless these POV shots are. It's like they're taking this shot out of a VN or something. Bravo, anime director guy, bravo. lol

And I can't believe I'm spoiler-texting this fucking show, but here goes:

So, knowing nothing about Japanese history, I have to say that I was actually interested in what was going on and I want to know what happens next. Presumably they're setting up an end game, and splitting up the characters is probably the easiest way to create a sense of tension, but I'm okay with that because for whatever reason, I'm still invested in how the future stuff ties into this version of the past.

I'm also willing to bet that the cellphone stopped the bullet that was shot in the last scene of the episode, but I'm in this enough that it probably won't bother me if that turns out to be the case.

Also, I can't believe they managed to find a way to fit in gender issues into this silly show. It seemed both out of place, but also fitting given how they are basically #gamechanging it up for the climax.
Still doesn't really top Kyubei from Gintama, but that's what they were going for anyway. lol

Surely it'll culminate with you throwing everything away to reunite with your sister, venturing the world and discovering friend & foe alike with your fists, and possibly include up to three (3) tournaments that help you inch closer to your goal.

Nah, she isn't mentioned in the story ever.

Grzi

I didn't understand the hype regarding Game of Thrones. It's a good show but I didn't think it was crazy good.

I loved the books so it was pure fanservice for me, I enjoyed watching all the characters come to life, even if I didn't agree with some of the casting choices.
I'm pretty hyped for the third season, it should be the best one, so you should definitely watch it.

BluWacky

Oh no doubt
, but Black Swan's influences are more incestuous, seeing as how it also takes liberally from the works Kon was originally influenced by himself (e.g. Argento.)

Did you know that Gonzo were rumoured to be doing an adaptation of Suspiria many years ago? I'm not sure if it was ever "confirmed" but it's long since died a death (I wondered at the time whether some of the thinking behind the project ended up in Red Garden).

If you want to say that the average Western otaku is likely a culturally myopic individual focussed on anime to the exclusion not only of other mediums but also even of those works commonly respected by those not exclusively interested in said medium, go for it.

Laying down the truth bombs!

Correct me if I'm wrong but you read stuff from Shounen Jump that gets cancelled quickly, don't you? It's the same philosophy with US TV shows for me - enjoy it while you can. I think you'd probably enjoy a lot of shows that the USA Network puts out in the States - something like White Collar, where the male friendship is the heart of the story and it's incredibly slashy.

I mean, if you want to just watch anime and read manga then fine, but it's not like there isn't other stuff out there that contains the same themes you seem to like.

Go_Ly_Dow

Watch Breaking Bad. The show is FILLED with bro bonding!

Why is Muv-Luv so perfect?

I had to press the down arrow just to copy you in. You should feel the most ashamed.

Articalys

There's no point in just linking this without dropping the titles of these works:
3. My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute (Volume 11)
7. I Know You’re My Brother but as Long There’s Love it Doesn’t Matter, Right? (Volume 7)
11. One of These Girls is My Little Sister!
Only three out of the twelve are anime so far? Weak.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 22:

3v43gl.jpg

The most boring yuri pairing ever. Except for the random titty-pinching.

I guess that there was someone not content with Katakura Kojuurou simply being a flashback character in Masamune's episode because we got, well, this freaking dull and super-low-budget affair. Kojuurou being the most wooden, lifeless character ever just compounded the misery.

Note to show: if you're going to do a detective procedural, at least spice it up in bizarre ways like you do with everything else. The detective should have been, uhh, a mime or an African shaman or something and all of the backgrounds should have been drawn like Piet Mondrian paintings. At least Episode 23 made up for this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Has Jinrui been going places since I stopped watching? Me-ow.
Not really. If anything, Y (the girl with the white hair) is a fujyoshi.

Sengoku Collection 22:

I guess that there was someone not content with Katakura Kojuurou simply being a flashback character in Masamune's episode because we got, well, this freaking dull and super-low-budget affair. Kojuurou being the most wooden, lifeless character ever just compounded the misery.

Note to show: if you're going to do a detective procedural, at least spice it up in bizarre ways like you do with everything else. The detective should have been, uhh, a mime or an African shaman or something and all of the backgrounds should have been drawn like Piet Mondrian paintings. At least Episode 23 made up for this.

Now, watch the newest Oda Nobuna and explain it to me please. lol

Kagami

I think the comparisons to the latter half of AnoNatsu are inevitable, but the reason why I'm comfortable saying that it worked there and not as much here (without being a hypocrite) is because in AnoNatsu, they let Kanna breathe on her own and explain her feelings in depth to another character, so the actual confrontation between Kanna and Ichika didn't have to be backloaded with
exposition about the group dynamics like it was in the Iori/Inaba
conversation.
On the one hand, I agree with your feelings on that scene. On the other, it's hard to see it happening any other way
with Inaba. She had to be forced into that situation; it's not like she'd go chat with Aoki or Yui about it or something on her own. But maybe they could have forced it earlier.
AnoNatsu does it a lot better, but considering that's pretty much the only thing going on in AnoNatsu it had better do it right!

if it's safe to assume that every single character in a Japanese text is straighter than Mitt Romney at Sunday service
That hasn't been my experience with Japanese cartoons!

Add in the "no personal filter" trope (which, for me anyway, dates all the way back to the original Star Trek) and it's kind of hard to be surprised.
I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing maybe that everybody's romantically compatible with everybody? (
The opposite of AnoNatsu.
)

I will say, probably the only thing that would have shocked me is if one of the guys came out of the closet and that was the whole point of forcing the characters to act on their impulses.
That would have been shocking more for not making any sense at this point than anything else. :p

But, I know. Fake lesbians are okay, real gay men are not. lol
In Kokoro Connect?
Well, it's a male-targeted heterosexual romance fantasy, right? Like most light novels.
And not a purely silly thing like Nyaruko where the character relationships are all jokes.
So yeah I wouldn't expect it to spend any significant time on a gay relationship.
It's be like spending time on lesbian romance in a Harlequin romance novel or putting full-length gay routes in an eroge
(goddammit 0verflow)
As for lesbians, I don't think Fujishima is fake.

Yeah, that's basically how I felt, except I'm not sure it's all that helpful to structure an arc this way when all you do is force the audience toward the inevitable climax. Maybe it's one of those things that works better in its original form.
I'm definitely curious about the books for the second arc, because the anime felt like maybe it was missing something.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you read stuff from Shounen Jump that gets cancelled quickly, don't you? It's the same philosophy with US TV shows for me - enjoy it while you can. I think you'd probably enjoy a lot of shows that the USA Network puts out in the States - something like White Collar, where the male friendship is the heart of the story and it's incredibly slashy.

I mean, if you want to just watch anime and read manga then fine, but it's not like there isn't other stuff out there that contains the same themes you seem to like.

Its just disappointing when something you really start to like gets cancelled all of a sudden, and then theres no fanbase so you get no fanfics/fanarts from it, so it basically dies super fast. I just dont think tv shows have as deep and engrossing worlds as anime, or at least consistent compelling characters, and rarely have the majority of what I like in my stories to have. The last tv shows I attempted was 24, which was pretty amazing initially (s1-3), Chuck (probably my favorite), and Heroes (ended early too I think). Terranova looked compelling but wasnt it ended early as well?

A friend had suggested Glee and Lost at one point, but I gave both up, Lost was just too well confusing in terms of storytelling and hard to follow, and Glee had incompetent characters and my characters werent canon together so :/ Maybe Ill look at what people said if its on netflix or hulu and try it.

Its just disappointing when something you really start to like gets cancelled all of a sudden, and then theres no fanbase so you get no fanfics/fanarts from it, so it basically dies super fast. I just dont think tv shows have as deep and engrossing worlds as anime, or at least consistent compelling characters, and rarely have the majority of what I like in my stories to have. The last tv shows I attempted was 24, which was pretty amazing initially (s1-3), Chuck (probably my favorite), and Heroes (ended early too I think). Terranova looked compelling but wasnt it ended early as well?

A friend had suggested Glee and Lost at one point, but I gave both up, Lost was just too well confusing in terms of storytelling and hard to follow, and Glee had incompetent characters and my characters werent canon together so :/ Maybe Ill look at what people said if its on netflix or hulu and try it.
Have you tried Supernatural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom