• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know, there's been a suspicious lack of SM updates lately, and I know none of the people currently watching have reached the end yet.

huh_zpsa300861e.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know, there's been a suspicious lack of SM updates lately, and I know none of the people currently watching have reached the end yet.

huh_zpsa300861e.jpg

Well, for those of us stalled after S, you have kind of anti-hyped SuperS as having slightly more entertainment value than a root canal!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Don't worry, I haven't given up on my plan to watch it by any means. I'm just drowning in currently-airing stuff that I'm trying to catch up on as it is so not just SuperS but everything in my backlog is on hold until I can achieve that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Don't worry, I haven't given up on my plan to watch it by any means. I'm just drowning in currently-airing stuff that I'm trying to catch up on as it is so not just SuperS but everything in my backlog is on hold until I can achieve that.
....many of which you're not even enjoying!

Jex

[Jinrui] - 11

jinrui11.png

Well...

That episode was surprisingly good. Unusually for this series the focus of story was not fairies or sentient machines or some other weirdness - it's the tale of Watashi's student days. Oddly enough, it was also pretty serious. I didn't really expect to see all those things come together and I'm pleasantly surprised that it all worked so well. They even managed to work this series' rather offbeat humour into the scenario without spoiling the tone of the episode. Seiji Kishi's experience of Astro Fighter Sunred was surely useful in this regard.

This was largely possible due to the quality of the directing, which was a cut above average for this series. There were some nice layouts, good use of shadows, a surprisingly effective control of mood and everything moved along at a good pace. I recommend people watch this episode.

Next week: Oniisama e...?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
....many of which you're not even enjoying!

This probably makes no sense, but I can be completely bored by something and still be vested in the outcome. It's not always just a sunk cost fallacy thing, although I do have that problem too.

High School DxD 13

God I can't wait for s2.
It will be glorious . the new characters will make this even more of what it is already ( meaning awesome i guess ) i do enjoy reading the LNs

This works wonders because apparently the Grandfather's seiyuu, Unsho Ishizuka, is also the voice of Professor Oak.

So which would you choose: grass, fire, or water?
Nice parody/hommage
It fits somehow.

I always choose water in the game..i dunno why nobody realises they are always the better starters
I blame the Olympics.

So this is the normal pace ? OT4 is possible , then ..

/XX/

Halcyon Realms – Animation.Film.Photography and Art Book Reviews » » Wolf Children Art Book Review Part I : Background Art
http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/film/wolf-children-art-book-review-part-i-background-art/

A real beauty that contains practically all base backgrounds for the composition of the movie scenes... and all that is only a part of the whole book! And meanwhile I wait for a confirmation if I can even watch this film soon...

Ok I haven't followed the anime scene for years but...SATOSHI KON IS DEAD WHAT THE FUCK??? AND HE DIED TWO YEARS AGO. Oh man I am so depressed right now. How did I not know this?

Satoshi Kon's last words | Makiko Itoh : Not a nameless cat.
http://www.makikoitoh.com/journal/satoshi-kons-last-words

One last Satoshi Kon post: 100 Movies chosen by The Dreaming Machine team | Makiko Itoh : Not a nameless cat.
http://makikoitoh.com/journal/satoshi-kon-100-movies-dreaming-machine-team

The saddest part of what shows this last link is that it gives you an image, an insight on that team he was working alongside but he parted ways with, working on a project called Dreaming Machine, and they haven't even received enough support to honor what he worked on for his final moments in a proper way. That last effort in vain, that it was like a present for everyone, and there hasn't been for this memory he left behind little more than condolences and nice words for a time. We can't even help to carry out that in which he poured his last thoughts, and there is not even enough support from production companies to complete it, no interest.

I wonder if he already expected something like this to occur with him gone.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oda Nobuna no Yabou 08:

Wow, show, way to take some potentially interesting economic negotiations and turn it into a really terrible slapstick cook-off plot. At least what I saw here jives with my several years of watching Iron Chef in that the Japanese really love mayonnaise on foods that it ought never to be used on
I hate mayo, though, so there's that.

At least it's pretty much confirmed that
Akechi is plotting Oda's assassination
. Nice.

Oda Nobuna no Yabou 09:

Mostly serious episode that was actually fairly engaging and a sad glimpse of what the show could be like if it wasn't totally saturated with otaku bullshit. What with
Akechi and Oda's relationship being repaired by the end
, now I don't know if they're going go go the route of
actually changing history
or having some kind of moral on how
some things are just fate and can't be avoided

At least protag-kun finally realized that he dun goof'd, but I would have rather seen the pretense of
trying to preserve history
fly out of the window episodes ago so that
protag-kun could have more freedom in his choices and interactions with the characters instead of being constrained by his obligation to history, which has only served to make him an even more boring character than he already is

and sniper scope on an arquebus? lol. At least this version of Sugitani Zenjuubou is a million times better than Sengoku Collection's.

There was also a really nice action scene that I gif'd but can't post because it was animated on ones and won't go under 15MB without being too tiny to see anything :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

It's fine as long as you just accept it, keeping pace is a fool's errand.

And now with that avatar, I'm going to mistake you for Dresden for at least a week.

If you're interested at all in the outcome, that would imply that you're not completely bored by it.

I suppose that's true on some level. If I say any more I'll tear open that nasty argument about being engaged vs. being entertained again, though, so for now, I'll just search my feelings on the issue until I can come up with some different semantics.

jbug617

Banned
I only watched the first episode of SAO but decided to watch a couple of episodes before the games started today and it's good. Just finished the episode with
Liz and at the end of the episode you feel sorry for her. She really doesn't have a normal experience in the game, all she does make swords.

I think this might be my 2nd favorite show this season after Kokoro Connect.

Soma

I'd only recommend skipping 3 and 4, personally.

I honestly believe the Manga arc and the one after were the only weak arcs out of the show so far. 4 weak to average episodes out of (potentially) 12 is still not too shabby. Though I've never felt any of the episodes were bad enough to consider the show itself as "declined" at any point. It's still my favorite summer show (besides the second half of Hyouka).

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 11

iWQmhf0NXDT4t.jpg

Man, a lot of that was oddly depressing. Even in a post-apocalyptic world, bullying is still rampant.

I feel like this was one of the few episodes that did a good job showcasing the unique art-style with some very nice scenes and backdrops. The animation quality felt like a return to the first few episodes, in my opinion. The episode was an interesting departure from the usual silly oddities with a more subdued atmosphere. Overall I liked it a lot and it was nice to take a look into the protagonist's past life as a student. I'm curious as to where this story will head next in the final episode. Man I'm gonna miss this show.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I only watched the first episode of SAO but decided to watch a couple of episodes before the games started today and it's good. Just finished the episode with
Liz and at the end of the episode you feel sorry for her. She really doesn't have a normal experience in the game, all she does make swords.

I think this might be my 2nd favorite show this season after Kokoro Connect.

Now. Join a team.

Gundam Age 47
gundam_age_fx_burst_mode_by_tristtrist-d5e9uko.gif

What an incredible episode, Kio was actually pretty epic and FX Burst Mode activation is one of the best segments this anime.
The changes it makes to the Gundam are pretty stunning all those beams everywhere and that incredible power, it was almost scary really when it seemed to pull out this power of revenge from the kid. Hope he can keep it under control the next two episodes or else, this may not have a happy ending

survivor

Banned
Just watched all of the available Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA episodes and now I'm sad. Only one episode left. Season 2, why won't you get announced :( Didn't expect them to show a new character this late in the series. Though she really didn't have that much screentime, only 2-3 skits.

I knew it, these 3 idols that appeared before were from Tozen Ujiie other manga, Idol no Akahon. I would have loved to see them get their own skit since they are pretty much just clones of Shino, Aria, and Kotomi.

Gundam Age 47
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/253/c/b/gundam_age_fx_burst_mode_by_tristtrist-d5e9uko.gif

What an incredible episode, Kio was actually pretty epic and FX Burst Mode activation is one of the best segments this anime.
The changes it makes to the Gundam are pretty stunning all those beams everywhere and that incredible power, it was almost scary really when it seemed to pull out this power of revenge from the kid. Hope he can keep it under control the next two episodes or else, this may not have a happy ending

I think that is going to be the only Gundam series I won't finish.

cajunator

Banned
I honestly believe the Manga arc and the one after were the only weak arcs out of the show so far. 4 weak to average episodes out of (potentially) 12 is still not too shabby. Though I've never felt any of the episodes were bad enough to consider the show itself as "declined" at any point. It's still my favorite summer show (besides the second half of Hyouka).

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 11

iWQmhf0NXDT4t.jpg

Man, a lot of that was oddly depressing. Even in a post-apocalyptic world, bullying is still rampant.

I feel like this was one of the few episodes that did a good job showcasing the unique art-style with some very nice scenes and backdrops. The animation quality felt like a return to the first few episodes, in my opinion. The episode was an interesting departure from the usual silly oddities with a more subdued atmosphere. Overall I liked it a lot and it was nice to take a look into the protagonist's past life as a student. I'm curious as to where this story will head next in the final episode. Man I'm gonna miss this show.

Watashi is so unbelievably adorable. god.
The art is definitely what originally sold me on it and the general strangeness of it continues to intrigue.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 07-09:

Why is Shimao such an asshole? He literally goes out of his way to make Hazuki's life as fucked up as possible. I'm not if the show is trying to present his dead ass as anything other than a narcissistic selfish asshole to the infinite degree, but if they are then they are utterly failing at it.

This show really went downhill once the main character changed. Shimao is a real bore, a jerk, totally pathetic (back then and now as well) and completely uninteresting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom