• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
[Hyouka] - 22

I know, er, many things have already been said about this episode but I didn't see anyone mention this:

Hyouka22.jpg

During Oreki's travels to meet up with Chitanda he literally crosses a bridge of no return. This bridge is obviously relevant to the plot later on but I don't think it's symbolic important can be overstated.
We may not see Oreki and Chitanda's relationship change in quite that way but we do get an extremely clear insight into Oreki's feelings about Chitanada at the end of the episode.

:O. I did not notice that! Awesome!

Jex

[Sword Art Online] 8-9

So wait, Asuna's spent years of her time maxing out cooking? Worst girl confirmed.

The only reason to do such a thing would be to sell the resulting unique products - which she doesn't do. Ugh.

Grzi

Arcana Famiglia - 12

Everything Mad Pierrot said applies to me, basically, although I approached this show the same way I approached Estetica - I paid only half attention to it since it's visually uninteresting, so I'd read a comic book or browse the web while watching. It made the show much more bearable.

jman2050

[Sword Art Online] 8-9

So wait, Asuna's spent years of her time maxing out cooking? Worst girl confirmed.

The only reason to do such a thing would be to sell the resulting unique products - which she doesn't do. Ugh.

Something something women in kitchen something gender role something

[Sword Art Online] 8-9

It isn't like she had much else to do in her free time.

And she gets to enjoy the results of the cooking herself. But not selling the stuff is pretty stupid.

Joe Molotov

YuruYui 2x12

OMG, this episode. lol

Mr. Snake

Tsundere Elf

Boob Elf

Snow White vs the Huntsman

The Defective Isle Tomato

China's "Church"

Backdrop Robot

Akarin's impassioned plea to the robot

Season 3 nao, plz!

[Sword Art Online] 8-9

It's all a ploy by Kirito to get Asuna to keep making those delicious sandwiches. No one will stand between him and his true love.

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 22 [END]

This was quite a solid conclusion to the series. The overarching events are given a conclusion, but leave themselves ajar to maintain a future of the four characters. Of course, while a nice episode, the previous one was stronger.

In any case, conclusively, Hyouka proved itself as a fairly adequate experience overall. I would have never come to this hypothesis if asked during the initial run of the early episodes. In the end, it finished off with some of the more notable interactions in the season and had visuals to match.

All of this aside, what I am truly looking forward to is Kyoto Animation's approaching projects and what various directions will be executed within.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YuruYuri 12

pX87b.jpg

Wow. That whole last scene was amazing and a great way to end the series bringing all the elements together for
one final bang

YuruYuri is forever.

Jex

[Jinrui] - 10

Speaking of really obvious visual symbolism that for some reason I didn't pay attention to, I thought that the scene where Mediator-chan (she's never gotten a name, has she?) and Curly discuss how Mediator-chan will be moving up a grade:

jinrui11a.png

As you can see, the lighting in this scene is from two single candles which throw unnatural shadows onto the walls and characters making everyone look a little bit creepier than usual. Curly has entered Mediator-chan's room with the intention of getting her to open up and hopefully form some kind of friendship but that's clearly not on the cards. Despite the fact that Curly is constantly rebuffed and ignored by Mediator-chan she can't help trying to get close to her. Therefore:

jinrui11c.png

There's a moment of equilibrium between the moth and the candle where things hang in the balance, however this doesn't last any time at all. Which inevitably results in:

jinrui11b.png

the moth being burned up in the scorching flame from the candle. The message here is pretty clear - Curly is irresistibly attracted to Mediator-chan but in the end she's clearly going to get burned because Mediator-chan doesn't want to know anyone. I thought that it was pretty interesting considering that Jinrui is a series of novels and this kind of symbolism really stems from the language of film. As I've said above, it's not particularly clever or unique (like, say, the heart-pendulum from Hyouka) but it did it's job well enough.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
YuruYuri ♪♪ 12
This was a pretty good way to wrap things up and get all the characters in one last time while giving them room to shine. I sort of wish the first act was more eventful, but whatever. And the very ending...just wow. Amazing.

I am pretty upset about not getting my desired OTP though. Like, come on.
Tsundere Elf deserves better.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yuru Yuri S2 - 12

8MNII.png

Excellent finish to an awesome show. So happy they included all of the characters for one last gag.

I was hoping
Ayano
would be the
prince
during the play.
Poor girl.

Edit: Oh, and Himawari getting angry at Sakurako for
sharing an indirect kiss via pudding with Kyouko
was so adorable!

dimb

Anncast From Last Week
I'm just going to post the synopsis.
Con personality and founding father of the Anime Music Video scene Brad DeMoss stops by the show to chat about what it was like making music videos in times both modern and prehistoric!
Hah. O-oh. You're serious.

Jex

[FMA:Brotherhood] - Finale

After all the events that have occurred throughout the Promised Day this concluding episode feels strangely perfunctory and underwhelming. So many loose ends were tied up that I began to grow weary with the events that were occurring. Do I really care about what happens to every single character in the show? No.

Also, it seems that Alphone
really got the better end of the deal here. Ed's still missing a leg and far more importantly he's sacrificed his ability to perform alchemy. That's kind of like...his whole life. Now he's just some chump. Alphone, meanwhile, has got everything back.

Theonik

YuruYuri ♪♪ 12
A very masterful way to close this show, pretty much had anything you could think of except maybe for
bunzooka
Tsundere elf and remarkably unremarkable elf are the best elves.
I was almost clapping like in a PreCure movie when
Akari~n came down on the swing in the end.

Jex

Anncast From Last Week
I'm just going to post the synopsis.

Hah. O-oh. You're serious.

At least your discussion of the ANNcast led me to visit ANN which led me to this:

11.jpg

which is pretty damn good (despite the awful photography).

Tit Sucking the anime part II Qwaser of Stigmata II 1
"My new mission is to find an ancient biblical artifact in a new all-girls school, and I'm going to find it the only way I know how!"
Tit sucking.
I've held off watching this season for far to long, and since I've caught up with all the shows I've wanted to from this season, seems like a perfect time to watch it.
YkpCg.png

Yoko Hikasa~

Articalys

From the official Twitter account:
Also, apparently the seiyuu were using the account to live-tweet while the finale was airing. Yuka Otsubo (Kyoko) signed hers with "Yuka-chin", Rumi Ookubo (Chinatsu) with "Rumirumi", and Minami Tsuda (Yui) with just "Tsuda".

I hope the absence of anything from Shiori Mikami (Akari) was due to a scheduling conflict and not an intentional joke.

edit: ah, seems like she sent a few tweets from her own account.

dimb

This guy on the ANNcast said that AMVs are pretty much what Andy Warhol did. Because his paintings of soup cans were of existing work.

Yuru Yuri ♪♪ 12

That was a really enjoyable conclusion to the show.

The
kiss between best pairing (YuixKyouko)
alone made this the best episode of the season. Of course, the final scene was a brilliant way to conclude the episode.

BluWacky

This guy on the ANNcast said that AMVs are pretty much what Andy Warhol did. Because his paintings of soup cans were of existing work.

Rather than being all ha ha funny gif about this, I think there's a valid point in there somewhere.

My understanding is that Warhol sketched a soup can then silkscreened and painted multiple copies of the same sketch. That's not a transformative/derivative work in the way that I normally think of it, but okay, for the sake of the argument we're taking "still life" sketching as derivative, taking an existing thing and making something new out of it. Perhaps even the soup can design itself is a piece of art in the first instance - Warhol was arguably making art out of art.

Now I'm not denying that your average Dragonball Linkin Park video is a bit bereft of creativity. But what about something like Ian Roberts's Arima Shinji-kun, which used the AMV format to compare Arima from KareKano and Shinji from Eva and added effects that mimicked Anno's directorial style even further than the footage already used? He's taken something artistic and made something else artistic out of that material - that's the very definition of a transformative work, if you choose to "believe" in the term.

Now obviously you can't say that the entirety of Warhol's body of work was derivative, unlike AMVs which will always rely on someone else's creativity first. But I still think, despite the plethora of shite out there, that you can't write off AMVs as an "artform". It's just a poorly developed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom