• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

http://neragaku.com/contents.php?p=staff
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=14328

Something I didn't notice before, but a more complete staff list is up for Nerawareta Gakuen. The staff list is particularly interesting because instead of regular Sunrise staff on the movie, it looks like Ryosuke Nakamura brought with him a pretty complete team from his Madhouse projects:

Director: Ryosuke Nakamura (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10, Mōryō no Hako)
Screenplay: Ryosuke Nakamura, Yuko Naito
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Mieko Hosoi ((Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10)
Art Director: Hidetoshi Kaneko (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10, Mōryō no Hako)
Color design: Yuko Kobari (Aoi Bungaku Ep7-10)
Image Art: Yoshitsugi Yoshida
Screen Design: Kenichi Shimizu (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10 animator)
Special Effects: Kumiko Taniguchi (Mōryō no Hako)
CG Director: Tomohiko Kan
Director of Photography: Shinichi Igarashi (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10, Mōryō no Hako)
Editing: Aya Hida
Sound Director: Youji Shimizu
Music: Shusei Murai (Aoi Bungaku Ep9-10, Mōryō no Hako)

Pretty impressive how he managed to grab all his regular main staffers even after changing studio. Madhouse is Deadhouse indeed.

Wow, he literally CTRL+C, CTRL+V'd all his staff, they clearly had no lingering affection for Deadhouse. Still, that makes me pretty excited for what they can do considering what I've seen of their earlier works.

Jex

Hey guys! Did you want to know what happened after the end of the war between the Federation and Zeon?

No?

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 12: Last Resort

I have no idea what these kids are supposed to communicate. They're creepy and weird.
It's just some NewType stuff, in other words it's fanservice (in a story sense) that ties back into the main UC storyline. I actually find it a bit disgusting how clumsily they try and tie a show about a very small unit into the 'greater UC storyline' because that's completely antithetical to scope of the whole show! NewTypes are the complete opposite of the 'average solider'.

Heck, Tomino only invented NewTypes half-way through the creation of the original series, so why does (nearly) every single work have to feature them?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's just some NewType stuff, in other words it's fanservice (in a story sense) that ties back into the main UC storyline. I actually find it a bit disgusting how clumsily they try and tie a show about a very small unit into the 'greater UC storyline' because that's completely antithetical to scope of the whole show! NewTypes are the complete opposite of the 'average solider'.

Heck, Tomino only invented NewTypes half-way through the creation of the original series, so why does (nearly) every single work have to feature them?

Because they are the future!

Jex

Well I disagree on that. They don't need some sort of quirk or eccentric personality but they do however need something that sets them apart and not make them generic. Obviously there needs to be some sort of realistic, natural as you state, component to them otherwise it feels forced and artificial but there also needs to be something that separates them as well. Now as for relatability, I think that's a crucial component for characters as it creates empathy on the part of the viewers and thus allowing them to more immerse themselves in that world. Thus the more relatable you can make your characters to a general audience, the more likely they are to respond on an emotional level. Chitanda's issues of being limited due to her societal position is, I would say, a much less relatable issue than something so fundamental as self-confidence.
I vehemently disagree with this line of argument. It artificially restricts characters into some kind of box labelled 'relatable' which inherently hampers the kind of stories that can be told. If every character has to be 'relatable', as in, likeable (which I believe is what your argument is implying) to a general audience, then storytelling as a whole would be gravely impoverished.

I am interested in works with authentically human characters, some of which will be completely unlikeable.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, I guess that graph goes to show that the internet anime community is the internet anime community just about anywhere you go.

Should I be surprised that the age demographics skew so low? I suppose not.

cajunator

Banned
Oh that's ok then. Because you'd be missing out on a lot of good television if you only watch anime drama.

honestly I dont watch a lot of TV outside of a few Discovery/TLC/History ones. And football of course. The handegg variety. I havent seen many TV drama series nor do I care to.

duckroll

Random Psycho-Pass goods from Animate:

Clear file:
jRu7U.jpg

Microfiber mini-towels:
mlf9N.jpg

Jsq2q.jpg

vUVUr.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
3D shit in my animu thread.

Fall thread needs to get here fast.

Why don't you pass the time by suggesting titles that will never be used.
Autumn 2012 Anime |OT| Home of the Pedo Defence Force
Autumn 2012 Anime |OT| As recommended by Jeremy Parish

Who's even making the next thread?

/XX/

You and Hideko Anno.
I'm not going to ascertain that it is all because of this (maybe only in part it is true), but I'm willing to assume much of the respect Mr. Anno has for that show stems from his relationship with close pal and GAiNAXer Kazuhiro Takamura, that makes a very personal work on that project.

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
Sasami-san
Prism Nana
Madoka
Kizumonogatari
Nekomonogatari

I guess you can't say that Shaft has not enough work.
Yeah. I've always had the impression that they bite off more than what they can chew, but this is approaching unheard levels of commitment and workload. They sure will leverage part of that and focus on the definitive releases as a result, although also delaying things isn't a very apt solution of continuity.

Well I disagree on that. They don't need some sort of quirk or eccentric personality but they do however need something that sets them apart and not make them generic. Obviously there needs to be some sort of realistic, natural as you state, component to them otherwise it feels forced and artificial but there also needs to be something that separates them as well. Now as for relatability, I think that's a crucial component for characters as it creates empathy on the part of the viewers and thus allowing them to more immerse themselves in that world. Thus the more relatable you can make your characters to a general audience, the more likely they are to respond on an emotional level. Chitanda's issues of being limited due to her societal position is, I would say, a much less relatable issue than something so fundamental as self-confidence.
It could be an important factor, but I don't find that being relatable is as crucial as you make it to be. Characters we can't understand keep being interesting because are different of what we see or we are accustomed to, a being mysterious or inexplicable awakens our feelings, makes us expect something. For example, a villain doesn't has to be "relatable" to inspire intrigue on the audience, right? It can be misunderstood or act on a way we don't like and we can still feel that the villain is fulfilling an important part in the story.

In Chitanda's case, the traditional role she has to attain, that determines (and traps) her, and the curiosity for the external world she shows. The way she copes with that and her ambivalent sentiments towards her tight community as a whole and her bustling student life... doesn't that makes her "interesting", and makes you CURIOUS of her situation because of it? And she wants to keep alive something precious for her; the dying values (in the modern society) of the time-honored farmer's life in which she has grown... doesn't her willingness to protect that something makes her relatable as well? She has goals, dreams and strong ties, like every human being has or wants... foreigner audience included.

HANAZAWA KANA <3
Kana goddess will save the day again.
Guys, she is already among PSYCHO-PASS' cast of protagonists, you don't need anything more!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why don't you pass the time by suggesting titles that will never be used.
Autumn 2012 Anime |OT| Home of the Pedo Defence Force
Autumn 2012 Anime |OT| As recommended by Jeremy Parish

Who's even making the next thread?
Fall 2012 Anime |OT| The cajunator and kayos two-man show (we are just here to clean the mess)

duckroll

I vehemently disagree with this line of argument. It artificially restricts characters into some kind of box labelled 'relatable' which inherently hampers the kind of stories that can be told. If every character has to be 'relatable', as in, likeable (which I believe is what your argument is implying) to a general audience, then storytelling as a whole would be gravely impoverished.

I am interested in works with authentically human characters, some of which will be completely unlikeable.

As a personal anecdote, I just watched suffered through episode 9 of Newsroom on HBO today. The show is filled with characters who are clearly designed to be relatable, with common human problems, but in such an artificial, vapid, and insufferable way that it makes me just roll my eyes. It is impossible for me to care for or about any of these characters because while their issues might be relatable, they are also stupid and inconsequential to my interest, like the lives of the majority of normal everyday people.

On the other hand, Boardwalk Empire is one of my favorite on-going HBO shows, and I'm eagerly anticipating the premiere of season 3 in two weeks here. Most of the characters are rather unrelatable for me, because they live very different lives, have very different moral compasses, and generally inhabit an era I cannot say to have any personal experience in. I can understand, but I don't really relate. Yet their lives are interesting, their decisions are engaging, even when I disagree with most of the actions being made, and I dislike many of the things the characters stand for.

The lesson here I guess is that I don't need my entertainment to stoke my ego or reassure me of my personal beliefs. I find that often things which pander to that actually bore or disgust me, because there is no active conversation to be had. I am more interested if a character study piece is something I can disagree with, but still understand. It's okay to hate a character, as long as hating the character does not affect my actual appreciation of the show as a whole. In fact, it might even enhance my enjoyment of it.

NeonZ

Keep in mind that the original movie trilogy was bigger than the original tv show, and in the movie trilogy, and material related to Gundam produced afterwards, the Newtype concept was in the center of everything since the start. It was the focus of Zeon's justification for their superiority, even if not their true motivation, and in the center of Gundam's obvious generational theme.

cajunator

Banned
d'awww

she's cuter when she doesn't look so uncomfortable

I don't know what you're on about. Akane is ALWAYS cute. Just look at her.
I cant wait to see what shes like in Psycho Pass.
I will probably talk about her with "<3 <3 <3" like I usually do about some characters.

jman2050

As a personal anecdote, I just watched suffered through episode 9 of Newsroom on HBO today. The show is filled with characters who are clearly designed to be relatable, with common human problems, but in such an artificial, vapid, and insufferable way that it makes me just roll my eyes. It is impossible for me to care for or about any of these characters because while their issues might be relatable, they are also stupid and inconsequential to my interest, like the lives of the majority of normal everyday people.

You know, you just perfectly described why I have a lot of trouble with the "down-to-earth character drama" shows that people seem to fall over constantly. I remember saying one time I didn't like Friday Night Lights and some people were genuinely shocked over that.

On the other hand, Boardwalk Empire is one of my favorite on-going HBO shows, and I'm eagerly anticipating the premiere of season 3 in two weeks here. Most of the characters are rather unrelatable for me, because they live very different lives, have very different moral compasses, and generally inhabit an era I cannot say to have any personal experience in. I can understand, but I don't really relate. Yet their lives are interesting, their decisions are engaging, even when I disagree with most of the actions being made, and I dislike many of the things the characters stand for.

The lesson here I guess is that I don't need my entertainment to stoke my ego or reassure me of my personal beliefs. I find that often things which pander to that actually bore or disgust me, because there is no active conversation to be had. I am more interested if a character study piece is something I can disagree with, but still understand. It's okay to hate a character, as long as hating the character does not affect my actual appreciation of the show as a whole. In fact, it might even enhance my enjoyment of it.

My only criteria when it comes to characters is that they be interesting and not annoying. It's not like there are many characters in fiction I can relate to anyway, and I find that characters that are designed to be realistic/relatable to be really boring.

Not that I don't think an interesting character wouldn't benefit by partaking in the story in a way that one can identify with. It's kind of a tough balancing act to achieve.

Yeah. I've always had the impression that they bite off more than what they can chew, but this is approaching unheard levels of commitment and workload. They sure will leverage part of that and focus on the definitive releases as a result, although also delaying things isn't a very apt solution of continuity.

Well, Shaft's release list is pretty empty since summer 2011.

Hidamari Sketch x SP - two episodes
Katte ni Kaiz&#333; - two episodes
Denpa Onna - special episode
Sayonara Zetsobou Sensei - special episode
the Kid Icarus shorts
some stuff for the Madoka PSP game
and Nisemonogatari - 11 episodes

I could even think they had never more time for all these new projects than now.

Maedhros

I can pretty much understand everything on the list besides Gurren Lagann
Which I will never understand.

Different people, different tastes... I mean, people really like watching girls doing nothing on the screen... there's a taste to everything after all.

SHAFT should expand and make even MORE stuff.
I cant get enough of them.

More head tilt... after Madoka I like them a lot more, but I still hate these head tilts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom