• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Gunslinger Girl 9

Another episode, another handler, another cyborg killer. This time, we're introduced to Lauro and Elsa. Unlike many of our handlers so far, Lauro doesn't like spending time getting all warm and fuzzy with little girls. What a freak, am I right?

izxaX3Lyi4TJ6.png
ibgsKTgXq6TrnY.png
ibsyNlnM0sPUJI.png
ibaSsaLgpKFqAb.png
ieAMOxlBaZyo1.png

Maybe this is why Femmeworth spends so much time in AnimeGAF.

For me, going by some of what he says in the bar, I feel like
his attitude is as much a coping mechanism as anything else. If he interacts with his cyborg as a tool instead of as a person, he doesn't have to shoulder the same kind of guilt that would come with treating her as both human and disposable machine. It's easier, but we can see by the end how his attitude is ultimately worse for all parties. Ultimately, it leads to more trading in the tragic suffering of unfortunate girls.

Once again, the direction is as solid as ever. I like the various ways the show created distance in the shots between Elsa and the other girls, and I really enjoyed how the bar conversation is mixed with the dialogue between Henrietta and Elsa. I know there was one episode when Jex was doing his exhaustive articles where he talked about how they bring in the sound from a scene before they transition to it, and that technique was used effectively here.

The more the show brings in new girls with new tragedies, the more I wonder whether it's trying to make a point paralleling us, as viewers enjoying the spectacle of their exploitation by this organization, with the handlers who take care of them.

7Th

YOSHINARI

sakuhin.png

Hey 7Th, remember this? I wanted to believe as well, believe in you... but... most of the time TAP is what it is.

KA for that specific scene (Marine versus Kumojacky) was a pretty good (Japanese) animator, actually. I don't remember his name, but he animated Cure March's (Suite Precure) and Yuna's (SSOmega) henshin banks recently.

duckroll

There is a rather detailed set of Magi interviews with the staff in PASH this month. Here are some of the more interesting things they mentioned with regards to the anime adaptation:

- The anime will adapt the manga up to the conclusion of the Balbadd Arc.

- The introductory chapters early in the manga will be edited to hasten the pace, things will be rearranged and cut. But after that, the major arcs will be adaptated faithful to the manga - The Dungeon Arc, the Kouga Arc, and finally the Balbadd Arc.

- Because of the latter half of the anime series will cover Alibaba's past, they consulted with the original author, and decided to introduce more foreshadowing elements in the earlier parts of the story to build his character.

- The first episode will cover Aladdin and Alibaba's encounter and how they became friends, while the second episode will introduce Jamil and Mor into the picture.

- The will be an anime-only character introduced at some point with
Djinn-equip. This character will use Level 1 Djinn Equip.
(Power up spoiler for manga)

These points seem to suggest to me that at least half or more of the series will cover Balbadd, which clearly should be the case because it's a long arc. It sounds like they're cutting down the first 5 chapters or so to 2 episodes, but if they proceed from there, there still might not be enough episodes in 2-cours to do a full adaptation. I'm starting to think it's possible this could either be a 3-cour adaptation (15-16 episodes for the first two arcs, then 23-24 episodes for Balbadd), or they could be adding an anime-only original arc before Balbadd to make it 4-cour.

Either way, they do seem to be taking the author's approval into consideration, and it seems they want to make a relatively faithful adaptation, but with new stuff which doesn't mess with the overall story.

wonzo

Banned
Third sentence in the first review on MAL:
So you thought School Days was fucked up, you haven't even begun.

:|
See, the thing about Aku no Hana is that it is a far more nuanced and well written work than School Days could ever possibly hope to be. That's what makes it a legitimately good series.

There is a rather detailed set of Magi interviews with the staff in PASH this month. Here are some of the more interesting things they mentioned with regards to the anime adaptation:

- The anime will adapt the anime up to the conclusion of the Balbadd Arc.

- The introductory chapters early in the manga will be edited to hasten the pace, things will be rearranged and cut. But after that, the major arcs will be adaptated faithful to the manga - The Dungeon Arc, the Kouga Arc, and finally the Balbadd Arc.

- Because of the latter half of the anime series will cover Alibaba's past, they consulted with the original author, and decided to introduce more foreshadowing elements in the earlier parts of the story to build his character.

- The first episode will cover Aladdin and Alibaba's encounter and how they became friends, while the second episode will introduce Jamil and Mor into the picture.

- The will be an anime-only character introduced at some point with
Djinn-equip. This character will use Level 1 Djinn Equip.
(Power up spoiler for manga)

They're gonna cut the caravan merchant girls arent they? ;-;

- The first episode will cover Aladdin and Alibaba's encounter and how they became friends

I'm starting to think it's possible this could either be a 3-cour adaptation (15-16 episodes for the first two arcs, then 23-24 episodes for Balbadd), or they could be adding an anime-only original arc before Balbadd to make it 4-cour.

So up to 50-54 episodes? Sounds good to me, is that all the manga material there is to cover?

fertygo

I dunno why they must make that line-up look worse with inserting ZEXCS on there.

Btw what is anime mirai? anime no chikara 2.0?

/XX/

It's frightening to consider that for every one of these that we notice, there may be several that we miss.
Blessed smoke and mirrors, man; I think sometimes is better to make your efforts on something the majority of people is going to focus on, and going over quickly through other simplified things, although I'm talking more about roughness (or "imperfections") than very obvious mistakes here. Time constraints make it worth doing that.

(Which reminds me, can I see Niji-Iro Hotaru already?)
Out on November, 21:

『虹色ほたる ~永遠の夏休み~』サポーターズ倶楽部 『虹ほた』ついにDVD化!!
http://nijiirohotaru.blog118.fc2.com/blog-entry-110.html

Amazon.co.jp: 虹色ほたる―永遠の夏休み― [DVD]: 宇田鋼之介, 武井証, 木村彩由実, 新田海統, 櫻井孝宏, 能登麻美子, 中井和哉, 大塚周夫, 石田太郎: DVD
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B008QRBOJU/

I don't think a DVD is the best format to admire such a beautiful work, although I suppose that is more economically viable given the circumstances.

I could see the reasoning in letting a veteran oversee and provide guidance for a group of younger staff, though I'm not sure if that happened in this case.
Exactly, I remember being explained for the first edition of the project that a veteran director had the responsibility to oversee each of the young animator's work and tutor them as a learning method.

It's not "Young Animators Project" anymore! But yeah, if Anime Mirai's goal is to provide opportunities for young workers in the industry than this certainly fits.
Well, yes... but also the official name given by the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs still mentions that it is a training aimed at young animators. Look at the footer of the webpage (http://www.animemirai.jp/), or this:

アニメミライ 2013 - 作品制作団体選定結果のお知らせ said:
文化庁の平成24年度若手アニメーター等人材育成事業(以下「アニメミライ 2013」といいます。)について、お知らせです。
http://animemirai.jp/information/assets/2012/06/animemirai_2013_12-06-06s.pdf

Man, I really can't unsee the rice bowls either.

...damn!

Yep, it looks really Yoshinari-ish (colors, dragon and all!). I'll find amazing if he can teach them only a little bit of what he can do.

duckroll

So is that like a series or a movie? What's Anime Mirai?

Anime Mirai, or the Young Animators Training Project, is an initiative set up by the Japanese government to help encourage, motivate, and train younger animators in the industry to improve and upgrade their skills. It is a yearly program where a government grant is given to the studios selected, and each studio produces an original short film work of about 30 minutes. This will give younger staff more opportunities to work on creative based projects instead of commercial stuff which might limit their participation because of commercial concerns, etc.

Ezalc

Anime Mirai, or the Young Animators Training Project, is an initiative set up by the Japanese government to help encourage, motivate, and train younger animators in the industry to improve and upgrade their skills. It is a yearly program where a government grant is given to the studios selected, and each studio produces an original short film work of about 30 minutes. This will give younger staff more opportunities to work on creative based projects instead of commercial stuff which might limit their participation because of commercial concerns, etc.

Oh. I was hoping for an anime on billiards :C. Well at least it's something, hope these guys do well on this program.

BluWacky

So is that like a series or a movie? What's Anime Mirai?

Anime Mirai is the new branding name for the Young Animator's Training Project, a scheme set up by Japan's Agency for Cultural Affairs and run by an industry body called Janica to help fund training for young animators. I'm not totally familiar with how the project work but I assume that these shorts are produced by those whose training has been funded by the project.

EDIT - I should have reread the thread rather than leaving this post finished for half an hour before posting... apologies for duplicating what duckroll said but with less info...

Martian Successor Nadesico 14-15

Ep. 14 was probably the best recap episode I've ever seen. Love how they put in the framework of
Nadesico being a show inside of Gekigangar 3 this time
. The "shocking reveal" of episode 15 was also nicely done :).

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz OVA Series 1-3

First time watching this in the OVA format. It's been awhile since I last watched the movie version so I'm not sure what differences between the two are, if any. It was certainly quite refreshing to see such care and attention takes towards the mech design and detail, particularly the Gundams. Still not crazy about the Wing Zero Custom, but whatevs.

Narag

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz OVA Series 1-3

First time watching this in the OVA format. It's been awhile since I last watched the movie version so I'm not sure what differences between the two are, if any. It was certainly quite refreshing to see such care and attention takes towards the mech design and detail, particularly the Gundams. Still not crazy about the Wing Zero Custom, but whatevs.

IIRC the major differences are basically Dorothy has an expanded role in the movie and the cliffhanger at the end of the second OVA ep doesn't carry as much weight in the movie as its more a transition rather than a frustrating end.

I just signed up for the 30 day trial on Crunchyroll on PS3 and started watching Sword Art Online. Enjoying it so far through 3 episodes.

How should I spend my free 30 days (what should I watch)?

I just signed up for the 30 day trial on Crunchyroll on PS3 and started watching Sword Art Online. Enjoying it so far through 3 episodes.

How should I spend my free 30 days (what should I watch)?

Shows on CR I would recommend (bold especially strong):

Ano Natsu de Matteru
Chihayafuru
Durarara
Fate Zero
Gankutsuou
Gintama
Hanasaku Iroha
Hourou Musuko Wandering Son
Kaasan Mom's Life
Kids on the Slope
Level E
My Ordinary Life
Natsume Yujin-cho
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Poyopoyo
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Space Brothers
Time of Eve
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop
Wagnaria!! (second season)
Yurumate3Dei

Shows on CR I would recommend (bold especially strong):

Ano Natsu de Matteru
Chihayafuru
Durarara
Fate Zero
Gankutsuou
Gintama
Hanasaku Iroha
Hourou Musuko Wandering Son
Kaasan Mom's Life
Kids on the Slope
Level E
My Ordinary Life
Natsume Yujin-cho
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Poyopoyo
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Space Brothers
Time of Eve
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop
Wagnaria!! (second season)
Yurumate3Dei

Thanks for the list! Looks like I'll be busy checking things out.

So is School Days worth watching for the fuckedupedness?
It's worth watching. Do it.

Reading MAL reviews? comeonson.jpg.
I just wanted to get an idea of why people were putting it next to School Days!
Aku deals with the issue of perversion in a much more thoughtful and mature way than something like School Days which exists only for shock value.
I'll have to see.

trejo

Late to the party as usual but as someone who couldn't give less of a shit about the "purity" of manga adaptations I strongly disagree with anyone who says the ending of OG FMA is in any way superior to Brotherhood's.

I mean, seriously?
Real world! Nazis! Robo soldiers! Dante is the bad guy outta freakin' nowhere! Ed not learning a goddamned thing after all and transmuting himself!
I guess if you're seriously into stupid asspulls and shit endings that don't really wrap anything up then I can see why you'd consider it better.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Late to the party as usual but as someone who couldn't give less of a shit about the "purity" of manga adaptations I strongly disagree with anyone who says the ending of OG FMA is in any way superior to Brotherhood's.

I mean, seriously?
Real world! Nazis! Robo soldiers! Dante is the bad guy outta freakin' nowhere! Ed not learning a goddamned thing after all and transmuting himself!
I guess if you're seriously into stupid asspulls and shit endings that don't really wrap anything up then I can see why you'd consider it better.

Wait... there are people who actually say that? That seems... odd.

Brotherhood was a ton better overall but I can understand certain arguments of where the original was better. Like the
death of Maes
was a ton better in the original because there was actual buildup and thus it actually mattered where in Brotherhood it wasn't nearly the same thing.

It's worth watching. Do it.

I just wanted to get an idea of why people were putting it next to School Days!

I'll have to see.

It certainly has shocking things but its far more about adolescence and alienation and the loss of innocence that takes place during that time. Its more like Catcher in the Rye in manga form than School Days.

I need Anime Gaf's knowledge and expertise!

I'm going to be reviewing School Days with a couple friends tonight and I need some clarification on the bad endings for those of you familiar with the games.

So far I'm aware of the headfirst plunge into concrete, the stabbing on the beach(?), and the throat slash. I'm pretty sure I remember reading here or elsewhere some talk about Kotonoha getting raped while Makoto/Sekai watch and masturbate, but I could be losing my damn mind. So are there are other notable bad endings that I'm not aware of? Thanks a lot guys!

trejo

Wait... there are people who actually say that? That seems... odd.

Brotherhood was a ton better overall but I can understand certain arguments of where the original was better. Like the
death of Maes
was a ton better in the original because there was actual buildup and thus it actually mattered where in Brotherhood it wasn't nearly the same thing.

Oh, no argument there. Everything up to
Hughes' death
was handled a ton better in the original whereas in Brotherhood it felt like they were just blowing through all that stuff as fast as possible in order to get to the new material.

So far I'm aware of the headfirst plunge into concrete, the stabbing on the beach(?), and the throat slash. I'm pretty sure I remember reading here or elsewhere some talk about Kotonoha getting raped while Makoto/Sekai watch and masturbate, but I could be losing my damn mind. So are there are other notable bad endings that I'm not aware of? Thanks a lot guys!

Damn...I think for the sake of my own mental health I'm going to stay far away from the VN.

Steroyd

I need Anime Gaf's knowledge and expertise!

I'm going to be reviewing School Days with a couple friends tonight and I need some clarification on the bad endings for those of you familiar with the games.

Holy smokes, the School Days anime ending might be dissapointing in comparison. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom