• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Oh great, now you guys have summoned CWarrior. Who's next? Sennorin?

protip cwarrior: if you hate AnimeGaf so much, go away.

You know why Sennorin wouldn't have enjoyed Sword Art Online?
Because Kirito was Suguha's brother, and not her father.

I'm not so sorry.

Hattori

Banned
Yuri Seijin Naoko-san (2012)

This OVA is great, not as fast paced as the previous one, but still pretty good nonetheless. Misuzu's soft-spoken demeanor greatly complements Naoko's very eccentric nature in my opinion. The opening theme as well as the ending are awesome (especially the ending.)

FqGAamA.png

LHyeZBa.png

TmtMmZJ.png

Quasar

Welcome to the club, if you aren't gushing rainbows about the overhyped animes animegaf are raving about but in fact refuse to swallow the hype pill but decide to look at things objectively and write your opinion accordingly explaining the pros & cons in the work also proving examples(images& referencing scenes) and explaining why may dislike it then prepare to be labeled.

It's almost like a requirement in the animegaf community that you must ride the hype train.

I don't think thats true at all. There's plenty of differing opinions here on most shows, even for shows that are mostly liked by people who post most often.

Certainly I can understand labelling if all you ever post is negative reviews of everything and keep watching stuff you don't like. That latter point I never understood with any media, unless you were paid to review. Reminds me of those comic buyer who keep buying comics they hate, in some cases just to have a complete run.

cajunator

Banned
Yami Hat, Trains, and Copious Gropage 2

Whole lot of fondling women, it's a defilement of gardens as SDbutton would put it.

This episode made more SENSE! GASP! It was relevent in regards of how the last episode ended, although it had to have a MEANWHILE AT SOME FANTASY SHRINE, WHERE WE ASSIGN SEIREN TO THE GROUP OF 3 INCOMPETENCE! Team SuiteCure is what I'll call them.

However, it's like... right at the beginning with our allegory pre-rape scene, she loses her bandages... and puts on her coat and apparently thinks she's still hiding her breast. So she's SHOCKED when someone points it out? What?

Where did Hazuki's sword abilities come from? Was it from that letter opener? I think it was.

to loosely quote a wise raven:
"ORANGES ARE POMEGRANATES
UP IS SIDEWAYS"

I'm talking about the whole show.

I suppose it might be, but Ive watched each episode multiple times. Really cannot get enough of it!

Welcome to the club, if you aren't gushing rainbows about the overhyped animes animegaf are raving about but in fact refuse to swallow the hype pill but decide to look at things objectively and write your opinion accordingly explaining the pros & cons in the work also proving examples(images& referencing scenes) and explaining why may dislike it then prepare to be labeled.

It's almost like a requirement in the animegaf community that you must ride the hype train.

What's odd is that pretty much exclusive to this thread, you can go on moviegaf decided to not ride the hype train be as negative as you want in your impression and no one bother enough to dismiss your opinion or spout some name calling at you like animegaf.

Yes but no maybe peanuts and hello there!
I dont really agree with you but lets be friends!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Nothing wrong with Celtic buttrock. Hell, I wish it was a more prominent genre in general.

But really, I'm of the opinion some of the tracks make a lot of the fights epic and almost mask the poor animation. I mean, half of them are fitting of a final boss. If something like this doesn't pump you up, I don't know what to tell you.

I'd maybe find that track acceptable if Natsu was fighting someone who attacked using a magical Casio keyboard. Celtic music in fantasy anime is already overused, but beyond that, that synth is just so painfully cheaaaaaaap.

Also, my guts are writhing listening to this because it's exactly the same as Takanashi's SHIT GETTING REAL stuff in Precure. One of the reasons that I can't stand his music is that he has zero range whatsoever--just compare the track that you posted to this one or this one.

edit:

If it's generic, could you point me in the direction of other stuff that sounds like that? I love this kind of music.

dohohohohohohohoho

see above.

What's odd is that pretty much exclusive to this thread, you can go on moviegaf decided to not ride the hype train be as negative as you want in your impression and no one bother enough to dismiss your opinion or spout some name calling at you like animegaf.

This is perhaps the least accurate portrayal of Anime GAF ever. Tons of folks in this thread are ready to pile on things at the first chance they get. I'm not really sure why you have this idea that everyone is constantly in a love fest here. (And I'm pretty sure you've complained in the past about everyone hating stuff you like, so I guess the line is just people liking stuff you don't like makes everyone all about the hype train, and then they only become negative nancies whenever the subject is something you actually like that most people don't. But don't let that ruin a good rant.)

Yuri Seijin Naoko-san (2012)

This OVA is great, not as fast paced as the previous one, but still pretty good nonetheless. Misuzu's soft-spoken demeanor greatly complements Naoko's very eccentric nature in my opinion. The opening theme as well as the ending are awesome (especially the ending.)

The OP looked absurdly/entertainingly stupid. To the backlog with you.

wonzo

Banned

welp, if you find cwarrior singing your praise then you know you've done fucked up. rip dimb

cajunator

Banned
This is perhaps the least accurate portrayal of Anime GAF ever. Tons of folks in this thread are ready to pile on things at the first chance they get. I'm not really sure why you have this idea that everyone is constantly in a love fest here. (And I'm pretty sure you've complained in the past about everyone hating stuff you like, so I guess the line is just people liking stuff you don't like makes everyone all about the hype train, and then they only become negative nancies whenever the subject is something you actually like that most people don't. But don't let that ruin a good rant.)

I dont ride most of the hype trains. Pretty much just check out whatever sets off the hnnghmeter or seems intriguing. Or better both.

zeroshiki

Yu Yu Hakusho sucks. Its like Flame of Recca with more tournaments.

:p

Falstaff

Banned

i don't know who anime suki is but k-on!!! (note the multiple !s. the second season, which is a sophisticated gesampkunstwerk in the vein of derrida comedy like seinfeld, which is diff from the first, otakushit which has landed us in this present Silver Age) is art

I don't think I've seen you before, but you don't seem to be happy or something.

And I'm pretty sure I've seen my fair share of things. I do get around the block afterall.

Here's a short list:

Love Live
Yuru Yuri
Chuunibyou

A-Channel
Yuyushiki
Mouretsu Pirates
Mitsudomoe
Maria Holic
Queen's Blade Series
Koihime†Musou

Kanamemo
Girls und Panzer

Crossed out what I've watched, italicized what I've seen a few episodes of.

I've indeed watched Girls und Panzer and thought it was a great show. (The huge GuP tank on display at AX with cosplayers sitting on it was pretty amusing, btw)

Nibutani and Deko were a pretty entertaining pair in Chuu2, especially the OVA(I easily picture them sharing an apartment if they decide to timeskip forward a few years)

Mouretsu doesn't seem like a bad one to pick up again, I forget where I left off... I think next episode was supposed to involve a little blonde princess-looking character? Work got too intense for me to set aside much anime time, so I think that's why I stopped before.

Same deal with Love Live... man, I'd completely forgotten about these shows until you brought them up. Thanks a lot!

So I guess my shortlist for Fridays is now Mouretsu, Love Live, and Heartcatch Precure. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks a lot, SDBurton, cajun, and Regulus. :)

wonzo

Banned
i don't know who anime suki is but k-on!!! (note the multiple !s. the second season, which is a sophisticated gesampkunstwerk in the vein of derrida comedy like seinfeld, which is diff from the first, otakushit which has landed us in this present Silver Age) is art
agreed

Articalys

I feel awkward posting this in the current thread environment.

Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ ep.4

Still the most heartwarming show this season.

Branduil

Rozen Maiden 3

My review of episode 2 can be found here

More excellent storyboarding from Hatekeyama. The transition into the flashback with the lace was masterfully done, an example of SHAFT-school artifice done right. The sound design during the scene where he was exposed, with the muffled and echoing conversations, really communicated well the overwhelming horror he experienced. Schoolchildren can be so cruel.

Jun continues to fall deeper into his obsession with completing Shinku, to the neglect of his work and human relationships. He certainly doesn't seem to be headed on the right path. One metaphor the show has developed is that of the "door." We see this during the scene where Jun bitterly mocks the hopeful encouragements of his younger self, with an image of Jun's apartment door closing as he despairs of accomplishing anything in his life. It will be interesting to see if they can continue to expand on this metaphor.

The last scene felt pretty Ikuhara to me, in particular the soft female vocals combined with the imagery reminded me of Penguindrum. I guess that's not particularly surprising for a SHAFT disciple, but this felt like a bit more of a direct channeling than usual.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Trufax

cajunator

Banned
it is difficult to sum up the shame that i feel.

When you mess with fire you get hit in the face with a frying pan.

I've indeed watched Girls und Panzer and thought it was a great show. (The huge GuP tank on display at AX with cosplayers sitting on it was pretty amusing, btw)

Nibutani and Deko were a pretty entertaining pair in Chuu2, especially the OVA(I easily picture them sharing an apartment if they decide to timeskip forward a few years)

Mouretsu doesn't seem like a bad one to pick up again, I forget where I left off... I think next episode was supposed to involve a little blonde princess-looking character? Work got too intense for me to set aside much anime time, so I think that's why I stopped before.

Same deal with Love Live... man, I'd completely forgotten about these shows until you brought them up. Thanks a lot!

So I guess my shortlist for Fridays is now Mouretsu, Love Live, and Heartcatch Precure. Decisions, decisions...

Thats a pretty good shortlist if I do say so myself. and from the looks of it, I am.

Jarmel

Banned
Well are you going to tell me what it is or just tease me till I burst?

Cuz lemme tell you my standards are simultaneously high and low here.

Low because just getting a model of the ARX-8 is already gonna be flipping so so so so cool.

High because dammit I'm hype.

Low because saying "FMP" already has me going.

Well I was going to wait till I received it physically via snail mail but screw it,
fmp02.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

No problem! Glad I could help. :D

zeroshiki

What exactly are his health issues?

No one knows. Its just that he's taken two breaks off the OP serialization because of the aforementioned issue. He's talked about how its gotten harder and harder to make deadlines and he's not sure if his body will hold up to see OP through to the end.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What exactly are his health issues?

I know that he has female face blindness, for one.

But seriously, I'm not sure if this is all just being made up to troll cwarrior or not, but I do recall reading somewhere that Oda gets a ridiculously small amount of sleep per night so it might be something serious brought on from chronic clinical exhaustion or something.

But seriously, I'm not sure if this is all just being made up to troll cwarrior or not, but I do recall reading somewhere that Oda gets a ridiculously small amount of sleep per night so it might be something serious brought on from chronic clinical exhaustion or something.

He was hospitalized back in May with a peritonsillar abscess and missed 2 weeks.

cajunator

Banned

probably the same shit that makes me sleep standing up or talking on the phone or on my desk at weird hours.

He was hospitalized back in May with a peritonsillar abscess and missed 2 weeks.

Or perhaps not

zeroshiki

Its true.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130723-00000000-jct-ent

His break last May was apparently due to some kind of weird tonsilitis. He has said in interviews that he is sure that the ending will be great but he's not sure if he can hold out until then.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

oh good lord the poor guy. Best wishes to him :(

He also seems to have a really nasty smoking habit from the pictures I've seen of his workspace and I hope that never comes back to bite him.

I'd maybe find that track acceptable if Natsu was fighting someone who attacked using a magical Casio keyboard. Celtic music in fantasy anime is already overused, but beyond that, that synth is just so painfully cheaaaaaaap.

Also, my guts are writhing listening to this because it's exactly the same as Takanashi's SHIT GETTING REAL stuff in Precure. One of the reasons that I can't stand his music is that he has zero range whatsoever--just compare the track that you posted to this one or this one.

edit:

dohohohohohohohoho

see above.

Not really hearing the Celtic in those. They are pretty cool though. Standard triumphant "yo ass gonna get beat" themes.

Yami Hat, Titties, and National Past Times 3

So... suddenly Witch chan falls in lesbians with Hazuki, and has a ridiculously skimpy outfit WHILE GOING TO THE BEACH! Yeah okay, and then more travel shit. SUDDENLY LETS GO TO THE PAST YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Fuck.

We are treated to singing birds, and then one of them gets shot by a fucking rock. And Jill (who is actually Hasumi or whatever or SOMETHING) heals it because why not. She neglects Gar because he kills birds, and didn't teach him magic to stop him from killing birds, so girlchan gets more attention. THIS ANGERS HIM AND ATTEMPTS TO KILL HER, BUT HUGS HER COPIOUS BREASTS INSTEAD. And then Little Girl chan appears and Gar tries to kill her. WHY DIDN'T YOU DO THAT WHEN SHE WAS IN BED!? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! NOT THAT ITS A GOOD THING

Theorizing that what happened in this episode might be foreshadow for what Hazuki will do. Why does Hasumi seem like a terrible person? Fuck if I know. All I know is Titties.

CorvoSol

MEGA MAN SINS 14

WMG:
Ringo is Luna.

So it becomes apparent at this point that the search for Luna and the salvation she brings parallels the search for God, peace, or any other high aspiration of happiness, against the tide of many naysayers whose naysaying ranges from right to violently wrong. We see this with robots who accept the ruin, and with robots who violently oppose the efforts of others to seek Luna or to make something new (the bell, the paint) and lastly with those who reject the search for Luna and happiness and side instead with Dio, forming an army for some purpose or another.

This was a great episode, though. We had Zero struggle with whether or not to intervene and save lives (knowing his kill instinct might do more harm than good), and then an amazing fight between him and Omega. Sigma and Ciel were around to give some talking to Zero, and Leviathan prevented him from curbstomping.

Oh and then that crazy as hell final three seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom