• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Gargantia was pretty fun to watch. It turned around my opinion on mecha anime all together. So is their any other good action mecha anime out there that's worthwhile? I'm thinking about watching Star Driver because it was the anime that piqued my interest in the genre in the first place.

The only things I mostly want in it is comedy, a not so hard to understand story or mechanics of the mechas themselves, and interesting characters. Preferably not Gundam though, my sister forced me to watch it a long time ago and it was the thing that drew me off it in the first place.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Started watching Genshiken Nidaime.
Weird, this show has done a full turn-around from an almost all-guy cast to an almost all-girl cast.
Dunno if I'll be much interested in continuing this way, I'm not that interested in the life of so-called "rotten girls".

Theonik

Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Vietnam 16
Monica is pretty cool. Also dat twist at the end. Though, they sort of telegraphed it on the preview on 13.
Preview is again very hype.

Hattori

Banned
Started watching Genshiken Nidaime.
Weird, this show has done a full turn-around from an almost all-guy cast to an almost all-girl cast.
Dunno if I'll be much interested in continuing this way, I'm not that interested in the life of so-called "rotten girls".

You should watch the next two episodes it actually gets better!

Defuser

Silver Spoon ep3

Porkbowl....
MKDyHfP.jpg

Oda has gone on record saying that he's not sure he'll be able to finish One Piece because of his health issues. hohohoho

So long as he's okay, nothing else matters.

Even though I'll be completely devastated.

I know, but thinking that
there's a purple haired Sousuke x Mao kid out there
is funnier.

WHAT??????????

Fruit-themed transformations? Dancing? Hey the premise for the new Kamen Rider season sure does sound superficially similar to a certain other old show from the other half of Toei's Super Hero Time block

These teenagers have been given Lock Seeds that allow them to summon small creatures called Inbes. With these creatures, they hold underground fights.

More blatant than Pokemon.

Site update and new key visual/character designs for upcoming LN-adaptation Fall season show Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Come o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru (or just Noucome for short), which is the show about a high school student who is forced to make VN-style multiple choice decisions at random times.

There's also a bunch of announced cast but I can't figure out how to properly read any of these character names so I'll just limit to the male and female MCs Kanade Amakusa and Chocolat (top two in the image above), who are voiced by Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Mikado in Durarara, Mahiro in Zetsuen no Tempest) and Kaori Sadohara (Annaka in Nichijou, Sig in Upotte).

Dark hair > Tiny hat blond > Silver hair

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So Gargantia was pretty fun to watch. It turned around my opinion on mecha anime all together. So is their any other good action mecha anime out there that's worthwhile? I'm thinking about watching Star Driver because it was the anime that piqued my interest in the genre in the first place.

The only things I mostly want in it is comedy, a not so hard to understand story or mechanics of the mechas themselves, and interesting characters. Preferably not Gundam though, my sister forced me to watch it a long time ago and it was the thing that drew me off it in the first place.
Watch Gurren Lagann.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 41

tDsT3oU.jpg

Haha, going past distrust of normal humans here.

P2ggsm4.jpg

This line was actually in English, making it more pronounced.

duckroll

Kyousogiga TV anime for this fall confirmed! Main staff continues from the last ONA series: Rie Matsumoto as director, Yuki Hayashi as character designer, Go Shiina as composer. Yes!

Hmmmm. 13 episode TV series, but it consists of 10 normal episodes, 2 compilation (recap) episodes, and 1 special episode. I wonder if those recaps are going to cover the previous web episodes, or if they're really recapping... the same show that's going to air. That would be dumb!

Either way, very cool news! <3

cajunator

Banned

Gurren Lagann!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I only know Doremi from the few episodes I watched as a kid and Hito's impressions, but I think yellow is my favourite.
Momoko starts out simply being unable to speak Japanese much having spent her schooling in America, but then almost turns into Minako with her malapropisms.

"The world is love and peace, yo!"

lol.

Okay, time to start thinking about the best OP/ED of the season. There's a lot of options to decide for the best opening, but after episode 3 of Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi I think that Mikako Komatsu easily runs away with Owaranai Melody wo Utaidashimashita as the best ending song.

edit: I'll admit I'm still thinking more musically than animation-wise, as Kaminai's ED is a bit boring visually.

I'd nominate Watamote with best Op.

ED has got to be Free!.

New PV for Arpeggio of Blue Steel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdaR3XTkCOI

Introducing the character Takao, voiced by Manami Numakura (Hibiki in Idolmaster)

Other newly confirmed cast members include Hibiku Yamamura, Yumi Uchiyama, and Yukana.

Character page on the official site is updated with new art as well.

I'm only interested because of the blue haired girl.

Main dude looks so bland.

Upcoming anime Nourin is confirmed to start in January 2014. Yet another Shin Oonuma/Silver Link director/production team, with Michiko Yokote (Genshiken, Joshiraku) on series composition and Masahito Onada as character designer.

Plot summary:

The cast is apparently maintained from the drama CDs, with Shintaro Asanuma and Yukari Tamura in the lead roles, and Kana Hanazawa, Marina Inoue, Chiwa Saito, Emiri Kato, and Wataru Hatano supporting.

Don't really have that much hope that this will be good.

Still, I'll probably end up watching the first episode at least.

Were really getting a Haruka Free! figure? Best thing ever.

Will buy a Rei figure if one comes out.

Pooya

Free! - 3

This show is quite a blast to watch, looking really pretty at times, great pacing and lots of fun overall. Perfect summer show with all the swimming and the swimming actually looks pretty good. Fan service there is, is quite tasteful and appropriate for comedy imo...

Free! - 4

LOL, now this was a bit much.

the ED is pretty nuts, imagine if Kyoani did Magi instead, could have been something hmm.

I'd say this series is quite a bit better than Tamako and Chuu2 so far, they were both quite dull at this stage, 4 episodes in. we'll see how it holds up. Free! might be many things, boring isn't one of them.

I just don't like the characters, Toriko in particular just seems to borrow very heavily from other shonen shows from the episodes I've seen not including the crossovers. (just my opinion of course)

Can't really argue since I haven't started on the manga/anime yet.

But, I thought Toriko was supposed to be a throwback to all those old shows with big muscular men.

With the emphasis on food, of course.

You'll change your mind once you get your hands on it.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
You should watch the next two episodes it actually gets better!
Madarame liked Saki?! Was that ever explicit?

Anyway, it doesn't feel like it's getting better, don't really feel like hearing about "bottoms" and "tops". but I guess I'll keep watching whenever.
Also this is fucking weird. He's not even gay? I'm not sure this show is mature enough to handle these topics.

e_i

Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-Bu episode 4

This show is REALLY FUCKED UP.
Yura changed history. And not only that, she can change fucking reality.
Wha...wha...WHAT?

New OP is pretty awesome. Glad to see Yura get some revenge butt slapping in.

Kurita

But, I thought Toriko was supposed to be a throwback to all those old shows with big muscular men.

Trust me, it's one of the best action shounen in recent years. (I don't know if the anime is good though)

Hattori

Banned

I don't know if it's supposed to be a throwback, that's news to me. Either way, Toriko's character design is just awful and unimaginative and the premise of the show just isn't doing it for me (and I pretty much enjoy almost all shonen shows.) Take it with a grain of salt though, because you might find it more interesting than I have.
Madarame liked Saki?! Was that ever explicit?

Anyway, it doesn't feel like it's getting better, don't really feel like hearing about "bottoms" and "tops". but I guess I'll keep watching whenever.
Also this is fucking weird. He's not even gay? I'm not sure this show is mature enough to handle these topics.

Yup, he absolutely does. Are you talking about Hato? I think he's a confused individual in terms of his sexuality, at least that's what I got out of it.

fertygo

00 Gundam S2 (Rewatch) - 02

Stealing your girlfriend like motherfucker, hell yeah Setsuna, lol Billy.

Man all Setsuna's gundam are baller, 00 are so cool.. although the shoulder really lame, thanks god.. its have solution for that later.

Btw yeah this is where they abandon the atmosphere that fell unique in S1, and became totally generic mecha show.. In 2008 I remember still fond it a lot despite lost its identity, but the episodes itself still fun from week-to-week, its have mech fight and stuff happening.. the episodes never felt incompetently made, but the series as the whole is different case.

Let see how much my enjoyment change with this in 2013.

Kurita

this is not the first time I've heard this. I've only seen the anime, maybe it's better off as manga perhaps?
Well, most adaptations are less good than the source material anyway.
But if you don't like the premise nor the characters, I highly doubt reading the manga will change anything.

In a good or bad way?

Correct.

You'll be happy regardless.
Thought you'd be unhappy about spending $200 on a figure

Penny pincher in me would definitely regret not getting used.

Trust me, it's one of the best action shounen in recent years. (I don't know if the anime is good though)

I'll take your word for it then.

I don't know if it's supposed to be a throwback, that's news to me. Either way, Toriko's character design is just awful and unimaginative and the premise of the show just isn't doing it for me (and I pretty much enjoy almost all shonen shows.) Take it with a grain of salt though, because you might find it more interesting than I have.

It'll have to be Beelzebub (Anime) levels of disappointment to make me hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom