• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 47

31LGvxZ.jpg

Cajunator might actually break watching this.

BluWacky

- What exactly did Shouma's parents do?

Shouma's parents were members of the Kiga Group, the cult that committed "an attack" on the Tokyo subway in 1995. The attack took place on the same date as Aum Shinrikyo's infamous sarin attack in Tokyo in reality, but the cult is never referred to by that name - the date would be pretty much immediately obvious to many Japanese viewers.

- How did Momoka try and stop the Child Broiler and/or Shouma's parents?

The Broiler is a metaphor for... well, personally I take it as a metaphor for the moment before a child kills himself/herself. It is only in the bleakest moment that the Takakuras "save" each other there, and Momoka saves Tabuki. I don't think she tries to stop it - because it doesn't really exist.

Momoka used the diary to attempt to stop Shouma's parents - and the Kiga Group, and by extension Sanetoshi. Of course she and Sanetoshi effectively caught each other at a stalemate.

- Aside from being a slaughterhouse is there any other relation the Child Broiler had with the families?

See above - it's a metaphor IMO.

- What were the purpose of the penguins?

This I can't answer without rewatching the show. I know that Momoka sends the penguins but there's a whole sequence that kind of explains it I think maybe back in episode 9? Obviously the penguin imagery comes from the Kiga Group's trip to the Pole, but I can't tell you without rewatching exactly how it works.

I really need to rewatch Penguindrum some day :(

Theonik

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 19
Just when Vanilla was looking up too. Coconna also finally realises that Chirico is pointless.
Chirico keeps being an AT god. We get an explanation on what the PS actually are though we kinda knew that already.
Preview was basically stuff from the last arc. I can only assume that they aren't showing us because it's totally awesome!

Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 47

http://i.imgur.com/31LGvxZ.jpg

Cajunator might actually break watching this.

Pre-emptively fuck this show.
Considered dropping Utena when that happened.

yami4ct

Madoka Magica was probably his finest hour. Absolutely nailed that story.

Also, Madoka wasn't that long ago. He's had two subpar outings since then with Psycho-Pass and Gargantia. I think we need to wait before calling him on a downslide for his career. If he's still producing middling stuff in like 3-4 years, then it might be time to give up.

Just finished 47. Both were great, but 40 was something else.

About 40, I think it was
Onpu-chan.

I'm reading it! But at the same time I know how you feel. :(

Naisho. A bit of warning, though. Dokkan has not been completely subbed.

Yep, I know. Just wanted to make sure I can watch Naisho before Dokkan.

Theonik

Damn it, the cat is being saved here. By dogs. Cute ones.

I feel the need to be discrete otherwise, though. The whole episode is a cute bomb.

Fine. I won't get to that point for a while though anyway. Hopefully whatever is left will be subbed by then too.

Jarmel

Banned
The problem with Urobuchi is that everybody knows what to expect the moment he's on board and even times when he doesn't try to do that, people still wait for the hammer to fall. He's perfectly capable of writing good stories, it's just that people have their preconceptions about him both positive and negative. He's kinda trapped where if he doesn't produce something absolutely outstanding then it's viewed as middling.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 51

The bear was better when it looked like Kero.

I could do without a lot of the romance drama and Shaoran angst going on here. Then again if that Clow kid wasn't being a creepy wiener then I could probably be okay with it.

I'm guessing at this point Clow's reincarnation is doing this because he wants Sakura to transition all of the Clow Cards into Sakura cards so that, I guess, he doesn't have to worry about them anymore? But then why does he have the girl who wants to eat Toya with him?

Winged Sakura was great.

yami4ct

The problem with Urobuchi is that everybody knows what to expect the moment he's on board and even times when he doesn't try to do that, people still wait for the hammer to fall. He's perfectly capable of writing good stories, it's just that people have their preconceptions about him both positive and negative. He's kinda trapped where if he doesn't produce something absolutely outstanding then it's viewed as middling.
Psycho-Pass was an absolute mess. Gargantia wasn't my thing at all, but I can recognize it as well done for what it as. I think he'll make a great rider show.

cnet128

Banned
Symphogear G 4

Awwww yeahhhh wave-running crazy capoeira leg-blade spinning Tsubasa vs fabulous drillcloak rushing Maria. That's what I call an action scene!

There was a lot of powerful, passionate singing in this episode, too. A lot of the time the music in this show just blurs together and fades into the background for me, but it was pretty good in this episode. No tunes that I could recall afterwards or anything, but stuff that works really well in the moment.

Speaking of which, I always feel like there's one sort-of-weird thing about how fighting in this show works: basically, whoever starts singing first gets to take control of the whole battle. Since the good guys' and bad guys' powers alike are all based on powering-up through singing, and of course you can't have more than one song going on at the same time (occasionally you get members of the same team joining in for duets and so on, but I don't think anyone ever joins in with an enemy's song), whoever starts singing first automatically gets a clear advantage. It's a little...odd how that works.

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho-Pass was an absolute mess. Gargantia wasn't my thing at all, but I can recognize it as well done for what it as. I think he'll make a great rider show.

Psycho-Pass was indeed a mess but he wasn't the only one at fault there. He seems to do better when the director is more established/better.

Falstaff

Banned

yes no and never happened

jman2050

Love Lab 04

Single of the
Lingerie song
when.

I think my least favorite character is shy girl simply because she doesn't seem to do much of anything. Sayo is amazing and Eno and Maki have great comedic chemistry together. Still one of my favorite shows this year.

Also I guess the :sdburton really is a lie. That's fine with me, I don't think this show would work with full faux yuri like something like YY does.

Falstaff

Banned
Bullshit. Both Fate/Zero and Madoka are outstanding.

havent seen fate/zero so i withold comment but madoka was v. p. bad and a big reason was because of the writing..characters having bizarre character motivations, and the ones that werent were simple and one-not,e silly exposition dumps everywhere, cliched grimdark progression of the story. its value was based almost entirely on its premise and as a commentary on the magical mohou shoujo genre, but unlike utena itdidnt have much else going for it ''thematicaly'. reminds alot of attack on titan but shinbo is at least not as bad as araki lolo. bad anime adaptation of faust/10

jman2050

But the wild one was practically built for :SDBurton!

And that's the joke!

havent seen fate/zero so i withold comment but madoka was v. p. bad and a big reason was because of the writing..characters having bizarre character motivations, and the ones that werent were simple and one-not,e silly exposition dumps everywhere, cliched grimdark progression of the story. its value was based almost entirely on its premise and as a commentary on the magical mohou shoujo genre, but unlike utena itdidnt have much else going for it ''thematicaly'. reminds alot of attack on titan but shinbo is at least not as bad as araki lolo. bad anime adaptation of faust/10

Is this English?

The Broiler is a metaphor for... well, personally I take it as a metaphor for the moment before a child kills himself/herself. It is only in the bleakest moment that the Takakuras "save" each other there, and Momoka saves Tabuki. I don't think she tries to stop it - because it doesn't really exist.

I really need to rewatch Penguindrum some day :(

That's an interesting way to look at it. I'm curious how others interpret that scene. I always thought of it as a "place" where abandoned children are disposed of, but looking back that interpretation doesn't quite fit. I may need to do another rewatch of Penguindrum as well. Once finish watching the amazing Utena.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Mawaru-Penguindrum]
This I can't answer without rewatching the show. I know that Momoka sends the penguins but there's a whole sequence that kind of explains it I think maybe back in episode 9? Obviously the penguin imagery comes from the Kiga Group's trip to the Pole, but I can't tell you without rewatching exactly how it works.
Much like the Child Broiler imagery, you have to look at the penguins from the narrative purpose they fill
aka they are the Shadow Girls of the show aka they are the Greek chorus
and not so much the logical one.

Shergal

Well I enjoyed Madoka but 'outstanding' is stretching it. It has good pacing, some good action and nice Inu Curry witch worlds, but the story isn't anything to write home about and the characters are basically non-characters.

jman2050

At the very least Madoka was the best anime of 2011, the best anime of 2012, and so far the best anime of 2013.

Make backwards comparisons at your own discretion.

Seriously try imagining it with just some generic designs.
That facerubbing gif pmichael likes to post would simply fall apart.

Nichijou was the best show of 2011

cajunator

Banned
He likes cat girls, not cats. In fact I heard on the grape vine he scalps cats to make head pieces for his mannequin collection .

Indeed, but I also love cats. I have a pet cat. Shes adorable.

At the very least Madoka was the best anime of 2011, the best anime of 2012, and so far the best anime of 2013.

Make backwards comparisons at your own discretion.

Its in my top ten all time so it left a big impression on me personally.

cnet128

Banned
Love Lab 4

Fun show is fun.

Suzu may be the most underwhelming character in the group, but she also got the biggest laugh out of me this episode.
lol handmade money

...Also, bad form Love Lab, you're overlapping in material with your rival anime of the season, KKK! You both devoted a portion of an episode to having your (all-female) characters discuss a goukon situation, and even made the same "innocent character thinks goukon is an abbreviation for gasshou-concour" joke! For shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom