• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
Let's Play! Suite Precure: 27

xsCRZ34.jpg

And then the world cried.

Basic fair this episode, usual monster-of-the-day, use powers, beat monster. Except now Hibiki hears voices apparently. Wonder what that's about.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya 03

nRvbgDFl.jpg

Someone transferring from Finland? That never happens!

I guess all the scenes with Taiga were entertaining enough. Though this plot has been very by the books of transfer student/new rival/whatever. Kinda like we're just going through a checklist of stuff that should happen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not a single Kirito cosplayer was to be seen. In fact the only SAO related thing I saw was some trading card packs.

Therefore I can conclude there is some hope for the UK.

Theonik

7Th already shown to us this could be a deeply symbolic show, so I would leave open any option for hommages or possible references they could make. :-D
Maybe they'll give us Gundoh backgrounds.

Not a single Kirito cosplayer was to be seen. In fact the only SAO related thing I saw was some trading card packs.

Should've seen MCM. Was practically filled with them but I guess it's a more mainstream EXPO.

Dude, you've completed, like, 18 Precure series, and yet you quit on CCS? Wut?

You forget that it's a series that I seriously marathoned after a while of sitting doing smaller series (actually wait, I wasn't in animegaf at the time).

Scratch that, that it was series I was marathoning at the time because COMMITMENT, and I wasn't completely burned out in regards of Magical girls, but over time, it became too much and I had to shy away from it for a bit to not kill myself.

That and it felt like CCS fell off a cliff for some time after like 15 or something. It became less interesting since there wasn't much in developing characters, and they remained stagnant for some time with their status quo, so it felt like I was forcing myself to watch it at the time. That's why I put it down. It's not dropped, but it's certainly on hold.

EDIT: Although oddly enough, despite giving this flak for lack of development, the same could apply to Smile Precure.

Don't remember seeing any Kiritos yesterday at the J-Pop summit here. Lots of cosplayers for almost everything else but I guess this was before SAO started airing on Toonami.

nRvbgDFl.jpg

I guess all the scenes with Taiga were entertaining enough. Though this plot has been very by the books of transfer student/new rival/whatever. Kinda like we're just going through a checklist of stuff that should happen.

Always nice to see my small home country represented in anime lol.

nRvbgDFl.jpg

they are not even ashamed of doing that , ruby even references how this turn of events is so "cliché"

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Eccentric Family is the best show of the season, despite the fact it's by PA works. Even the butchered designs aren't that bad after the first minute or two. Y'all should watch this.

Tenumi

Banned
She now has the ability to hear plot.

Apparently so...

Let's Play! Suite Precure: 28

Congrats, Ellen. Kanade cares so much she didn't even spell your name correctly!

So it looks like we're definitely getting into plot mode now. Next episode has a
trip to Major Land, and the makings of getting a new power up or something soon

Coxy

Kokoro connect 1-2
I dont know these characters well enough yet to care or be that amused by the bodyswapping. Seems to be trying to get serious before even setting the groundwork.

Apparently so...

Let's Play! Suite Precure: 28

Congrats, Ellen. Kanade cares so much she didn't even spell your name correctly!

So it looks like we're definitely getting into plot mode now. Next episode has a
trip to Major Land, and the makings of getting a new power up or something soon

All this reminds me of is how it feels like different subbers took this on because it changes up as you keep going.

Uchouten Kazoku 4

Not as brilliant as past episodes, but still good stuff. Flashback of the father, this time more complete and showing the connection with the tengus, and after that Benten, and fun times in the sky.
In this episode we see how much an ass is the old Tengu (I forgot the name), from the start of the episode (not accepting directly the invitation) to the end (asking when Benten will come, wasting the alcohol, causing the accident and complicating the MC life a lot).
I am starting to understand Benten and why she left the old crow...

Pooya

How are they generic if I recognized the Time of Eve connection before even realizing that was for the anime mirai short Yoshiura is directing?

because the girl looks exactly the same pretty much, still generic, specially the boy. They could very well act as a background character in another show and no one would notice :p

generic =/= bad, it doesn't stand out like leads usually do with their visual features, probably what they intended. I haven't watched all of Time of Eve, no opinion on that front.

Doki Doki Precure 26

Bravo desu~

Cue the fangirl squees for pairings as Rikka has no idea what she wants to do based on her own actions and not the admiration of someone else like Mana and her mother.

Meanwhile Ira: SHUT UP THUNDER! Nature: Fuck you *zap*

The amount of pairing overload in this episode is nuts here, and led to a challenge of considering her actions seriously.

This scene from episode 4 doesn't look so random now with this episode in tow and features him saving the Cures despite his memory being back.

But wait What's this? Upon powering up, CURE DIAMOND ACTUALLY FIGHTS AND NOT STAND AROUND LIKE AN ASSHOLE BEFORE ACE DOES SOMETHING!? AND SHE ACTUALLY USED HER CATCHPHRASE!? It's clear that Rikka is indeed the best of Mana's reject friends especially considering they gave her a good amount of screen time while keeping her interesting. This episode certainly went above my expectations based on the last two episodes.

Diamond > Heart (regrettably) > Sword > Rosetta.

Next episode isn't what I entirely expected though.

7Th

@liborek3 15min

Otsuka during the 3DCG and Sakuga (meaning hand-drawn animation in this case) discussion: "About 90% of Kill La Kill is hand-drawn"

ANIME IS SAVED
in October

You forgot the important part: Otsuka's key-word for Kill la Kill was "SAKUGA".

ZoGHZ8c.png

CorvoSol

You say this but you'll be first in line for Space Dandy like the rest of us.

I'll be right in line for SAO S2, too, but I will still hate it and myself.

Speaking of, I am not gonna watch the SAO dub. I thought about doing it up till the end of SAO and then skipping to the last episode, but then I was like "Yeah, no. I just finished watching that show anyway."

May TOM watch o'er the souls of those poor fools who do, though.

because the girl looks exactly the same pretty much, still generic, specially the boy. They could very well act as a background character in another show and no one would notice :p

generic =/= bad, it doesn't stand out like leads usually do with their visual features, probably what they intended. I haven't watched all of Time of Eve, no opinion on that front.

I think it's good to distinguish between generic art style, which I don't think these designs represent, particularly in their facial structure, and generic conceptual design, which you could say they represent, in that they look like regular people without any standout identifying features you would note on a police report.

Pooya

I think it's good to distinguish between generic art style, which I don't think these designs represent, particularly in their facial structure, and generic conceptual design, which you could say they represent, in that they look like regular people without any standout identifying features you would note on a police report.

right, I too think they wanted them to look like very normal everyday people here. The boy doesn't even have that facial structure like the girl does. He's perfectly 'normal'.

right, I too think they wanted them to look like very normal everyday people here. The boy doesn't even have that facial structure like the girl does. He's perfectly 'normal'.

The way the eyebrows, eyes, nose, and mouth (plus chin line) are drawn is the same with both characters. Subdued yet expressive.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Should've seen MCM. Was practically filled with them but I guess it's a more mainstream EXPO.
Yeah, the purpose of this convention is to advertise Japan in general so anime and cosplay is only a small part of it.

One funny incident during the day was when I almost walked into a dakimakura when turning a corner. If I recall it was a half clad Princess of the Crystal with masking tape covering her nipples and crotch. This was right next to the NIntendo area so great family fun for all the kids! Turned to my mum and said "found something to buy(!)" in which she replied "well if you really want it I won't stop you".

Later it was either sold or someone realised having that out in the open wasn't the best of ideas.

Theonik

Yeah, the purpose of this convention is to advertise Japan in general so anime and cosplay is only a small part of it.

One funny incident during the day was when I almost walked into a dakimakura when turning a corner. If I recall it was a half clad Princess of the Crystal with masking tape covering her nipples and crotch. This was right next to the NIntendo area so great family fun for all the kids! Turned to my mum and said "found something to buy(!)" in which she replied "well if you really want it I won't stop you".

Later it was either sold or someone realised having that out in the open wasn't the best of ideas.
Missed opportunity there.

Jex

I remember when I used to post in anime threads. That was long ago,,

[Attack on Titan] - 16

That really wasn't that bad! In fact, I'd call it completely acceptable.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Doki Doki Precure 26

Bravo desu~

Cue the fangirl squees for pairings as Rikka has no idea what she wants to do based on her own actions and not the admiration of someone else like Mana and her mother.

Meanwhile Ira: SHUT UP THUNDER! Nature: Fuck you *zap*

The amount of pairing overload in this episode is nuts here, and led to a challenge of considering her actions seriously.

This scene from episode 4 doesn't look so random now with this episode in tow and features him saving the Cures despite his memory being back.

But wait What's this? Upon powering up, CURE DIAMOND ACTUALLY FIGHTS AND NOT STAND AROUND LIKE AN ASSHOLE BEFORE ACE DOES SOMETHING!? AND SHE ACTUALLY USED HER CATCHPHRASE!? It's clear that Rikka is indeed the best of Mana's reject friends especially considering they gave her a good amount of screen time while keeping her interesting. This episode certainly went above my expectations based on the last two episodes.

Diamond > Heart (regrettably) > Sword > Rosetta.

Next episode isn't what I entirely expected though.

What is this treason I'm looking at. Rikka you better not be pulling this bullshit!!!!

wonzo

Banned
tumblr_mqkec8J7fh1qghmqdo1_500.png

You better thank your God that I have a bunch of Homestuck trolls living in my head because they’re the ones that are keeping me from destroying everything in sight for the next two hours.

yami4ct

Hunter x Hunter 90

Really mixed on this episode. On the one hand, I love this fight. Knuckle and Shoot's powers are a ton of fun and really creative. It's nice to actually see what's going on behind Togashi's scribble art.

On the other, something about this episode looked really cheap to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like a massive budget episode. The Gon fight looked good for what it was, but there wasn't much there. Most of it was just the amazing scene of Knuckle revealing all his power's rules.

The Kil and Shoot fight, on the other hand, looked really shoddy and cheap. Some moments like Shoot's initial power reveal looked really good, but then you have others like Kil's YoYo attack that looked super cheap. The fight almost felt like it was released before the animation was done. So many weird cut-aways, repeated animations and other cheapness. Stark contrast from how utterly amazing the Knuckle/Gon fight looked last week.

Oh well, story-wise, this part is still amazing. It has some of my favorite moments in all of the Chimera arc. I love Knuckle and Shoot and they're given a ton of moments to shine here, so most of that distracts from the cheapness of the thing. Really hoping this is just them saving their budget so they can really blow out next week's fight conclusion.

Jex

At work on a Sunday~~~

Not sure if this has been posted (sorry Arti) but MF Bunko has announced 5(!!) anime adaptations of its LN shit. (Btw, fuck you LN authors for using kanji but having romaji titles. I had to lookup title readings from wiki because of this)

Seikoku no Dragoneer

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

No Game No Life

Mahou Sensou

Madan no Ou to Vanadees

No, I don't know what any of these are. No, I didn't bother to look them up.
I hope these all air in a single Winter season.

Hunter x Hunter 90

Really mixed on this episode. On the one hand, I love this fight. Knuckle and Shoot's powers are a ton of fun and really creative. It's nice to actually see what's going on behind Togashi's scribble art.

On the other, something about this episode looked really cheap to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like a massive budget episode. The Gon fight looked good for what it was, but there wasn't much there. Most of it was just the amazing scene of Knuckle revealing all his power's rules.

The Kil and Shoot fight, on the other hand, looked really shoddy and cheap. Some moments like Shoot's initial power reveal looked really good, but then you have others like Kil's YoYo attack that looked super cheap. The fight almost felt like it was released before the animation was done. So many weird cut-aways, repeated animations and other cheapness. Stark contrast from how utterly amazing the Knuckle/Gon fight looked last week.

Oh well, story-wise, this part is still amazing. It has some of my favorite moments in all of the Chimera arc. I love Knuckle and Shoot and they're given a ton of moments to shine here, so most of that distracts from the cheapness of the thing. Really hoping this is just them saving their budget so they can really blow out next week's fight conclusion.

well to be fair, if this is what is considered 'budget' for an endless shounen show... i think ill live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom