• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best cosplay (rin haru especially)
BQP2R4UCIAAjiaP.jpg:large

She's neither, she's a manic pixie dream girl. Kind of.

We're talking about TTGL right?

Yeah. I'll be honest, if Nia was around from the beginning, I'd have tolerated her. But the fact that she came in the episode right after
Kamina's death felt like a mom replacing a broken SNES with a Sega Genesis.
. But as she showed her character more, she became more tolerable, until becoming an important great character at the end.

Yeah. I'll be honest, if Nia was around from the beginning, I'd have tolerated her. But the fact that she came in the episode right after
. But as she showed her character more, she became more tolerable, until becoming an important great character at the end.

are you continuing the analogy here?

Branduil

. But as she showed her character more, she became more tolerable, until becoming an important plot device at the end.

Fixed.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 6

This was probably my favorite episode so far.

I kind of feel bad for that girl, but still, lying about dead/missing parents is not cool. Ever. Still, have to admire how she got that kid to believe that her grandmother was a carrot. Even if the kid has to be stupid as hell to actually believe it.

Is Doremi ever going to learn how to fly that broom, or is this gonna be a running joke? She may wanna try threatening it like Aiko did.

fertygo

I hate the hate to "Mary/Gary Stu" archetype, for me they just one of archetype that can be used good or badly. That its.. If the character bring good for the show its shouldn't matter if she too without flaw or not. Everything can used properly in theory. And its not illegal by all means to use character as plot device, especially superhero cliche like TTGL.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi 6

This was probably my favorite episode so far.

I kind of feel bad for that girl, but still, lying about dead/missing parents is not cool. Ever. Still, have to admire how she got that kid to believe that her grandmother was a carrot. Even if the kid has to be stupid as hell to actually believe it.
Aiko x Nobuko

Is Doremi ever going to learn how to fly that broom, or is this gonna be a running joke? She may wanna try threatening it like Aiko did.
Oh she definitely learns, but maybe not as quickly as others.

Perhaps some explaining is in order.

I think Nia is a good character because the writers knew what to do with her. After
her father died at the hands of her boyfriend's car keys, there wasn't much else to do with her other than make her the standard damsel in distress. So they go ahead and make her the villain to avoid that cliche (to an extent anyway). After going back to normal, the writers probably felt that she would have to go for the show to have a stronger ending. Which was the right move.

So yeah, maybe she was a plot device, but at least she was a well done plot device.

Jintor

I'm relatively sure that's the intent behind her introduction there, etc.

Branduil

I hate the hate to "Mary/Gary Stu" archetype, for me they just one of archetype that can be used good or badly. That its.. If the character bring good for the show its shouldn't matter if she too without flaw or not. Everything can used properly in theory.

Nah, Mary Sue is an inherently derogatory term, it's an archetype that contains a number of different tropes that interact to form a repulsively "perfect" character.

I think Nia is a good character because the writers knew what to do with her. After
her father died at the hands of her boyfriend's car keys, there wasn't much else to do with her other than make her the standard damsel in distress. So they go ahead and make her the villain to avoid that cliche (to an extent anyway). After going back to normal, the writers probably felt that she would have to go for the show to have a stronger ending. Which was the right move.

So yeah, maybe she was a plot device, but at least she was a well done plot device.

My problem with her is that she's always written in such a way to be whatever Simon needs at that moment, no matter how inorganic the writing has to be for it to work. She's never anything more than Simon's convenient character development accessory.

My problem with her is that she's always written in such a way to be whatever Simon needs at that moment, no matter how inorganic the writing has to be for it to work. She's never anything more than Simon's convenient character development accessory.

Eh, she is what she is. It's not like she's best girl or anything. That title belongs to Yoko.

cajunator

Banned

kitkat

Dude, you've completed, like, 18 Precure series, and yet you quit on CCS? Wut?

Yeah I was kinda wondering how this could happen also. Especially since he marathoned Max Heart.

Kiniro Mosaic 4

So youre saying its really good?

Kokoro connect 1-2
I dont know these characters well enough yet to care or be that amused by the bodyswapping. Seems to be trying to get serious before even setting the groundwork.

This show gets soooo good.
Inaban is just the best.

Not quite!

7QAUvtz.jpg

The fanart for this movie is so epic. I think it might become one of my favorite movies.

2Dk1nBc.png

im@s as melty. Good enough for me.

5GupIVp.gif

9fb2721e6216e7e3da5f8490ef54fbf8.gif

CorvoSol

She's neither, she's a manic pixie dream girl. Kind of.

We're talking about TTGL right?

Isn't that what I said? Feels like it.

I feel like the writers sort of didn't know what to do with her, hence
that stupid ass evaporation post marriage.

Nah, Mary Sue is an inherently derogatory term, it's an archetype that contains a number of different tropes that interact to form a repulsively "perfect" character.

It's hard not to call Nia that, though, when the girl has cloud colored hair and blue eyes with red crosses in it and she is the only person capable of freeing Simon from
his Kamina's death induced funk
and then also happens to just be
the physical avatar of the Spiral Race
and also
that stupid post-wedding evaporation bullshit.

I liked Nia mostly because Simon liked her. That said, her character could have benefited a very great deal from interacting with people who weren't Simon and having relationships with characters who weren't Simon. Which she only sort of does. Everyone on Team Dai Gurren loves her, but it would've been nice to see her earn that love a little more personally. They kinda worked that with Yoko, but that's about it. Seeing her interact with Yoko more would've been really nice.

I definitely agree with this as well. I appreciate that she sort of
fills Kamina's shoes as the reason why Simon fights,
but again, girl really needed to branch out from just Simon.

Turn A Gundam 5

Still having a hard time guessing just which side Loran is on, but coming into contact with a Gundam has essentially made clear just how his personality goes (you know, a bright eyed idealistic youth who hates war and wishes it would stop and is beloved by all he comes in contact with. Meat and Taters and all.). That said, I'm worried Sochie's character is gonna take a nose dive with this quest for revenge. Because unless your name is Edmond Dantes the writer tends to have no idea how to use a quest for revenge to improve your character.

How does Harry Ord keep those uh, Sun Glasses on?

7Th

Finally watched the entire stream of the USP thing; Otsuka is a boss. The key points he mentioned for Kill la Kill were pretty much perfect:

SCRIPT (he talked about how it's Shinkansen as fuck and so ambitious that the staff was worried if they were going to be able to pull it off but they ultimately decided to keep it the way it was because you just don't cut down greatness; "feels like a movie", he said)
tumblr_mqo58a9KWo1r7c87xo3_1280.png

DIRECTION/STORYBOARD (Imaishi-power)
tumblr_mqo58a9KWo1r7c87xo2_1280.png

SAKUGA/ANIMATION (they want the visual to have a genga-man feel; Sushio and friends are bleeding into the show so the visuals don't lose to the script)
tumblr_mqo58a9KWo1r7c87xo3_1280.png

Meanwhile, on Yamakan-land...
A8Bdxq5.png

Articalys

Saimoe prelims round 1, day 5, top 14 advance automatically:
1st 166 Sena Kashiwazaki @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
2nd 143 Sanae Dekomori @ Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai!
3rd 141 Himawari Shinomiya @ Vividred Operation
4th 125 Kuroko Shirai @ A Certain Magical Index
5th 121 Aoi Futaba @ Vividred Operation
6th 118 Rika Shiguma @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
7th 99 Nagi Sanzenin @ Hayate The Combat Butler
7th 99 Hiro @ Hidamari Sketch
9th 89 Maria Takayama @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
10th 79 Hibiki Ganaha @ The Idolmaster
11th 76 Mitsuhide Akechi @ Oda Nobuna no Yabou
12th 72 Sera Eguchi @ Saki
13th 69 Kurimu Sakurano @ Seitokai No Ichizon
14th 68 Kukuru Anrakutei @ Joshiraku

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Saimoe prelims round 1, day 5, top 16 advance automatically:

Let's go down the list.

1st 166 Sena Kashiwazaki @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai YES
2nd 143 Sanae Dekomori @ Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai! ...acceptable
3rd 141 Himawari Shinomiya @ Vividred Operation ...haven't watched this one
4th 125 Kuroko Shirai @ A Certain Magical Index ... or this one.
5th 121 Aoi Futaba @ Vividred Operation see #3
6th 118 Rika Shiguma @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai I'm good with this.
7th 99 Nagi Sanzenin @ Hayate The Combat Butler Of all the HnG girls, Nagi?
7th 99 Hiro @ Hidamari Sketch ...haven't watched this one
9th 89 Maria Takayama @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai NO
10th 79 Hibiki Ganaha @ The Idolmaster dat fang
11th 76 Mitsuhide Akechi @ Oda Nobuna no Yabou ...haven't watched this one
12th 72 Sera Eguchi @ Saki ... I suppose.
13th 69 Kurimu Sakurano @ Seitokai No Ichizon ...haven't watched this one
14th 68 Kukuru Anrakutei @ Joshiraku ... I suppose.

Kazzy

What is this? Nia hate!?

I don't even...

Yes, I was disappointed with what they did with her in the final arc, but even so, I really liked her. Probably my favorite character, all things considered.

Also, nintendoman58, your analogies are bizarre! Is the Mega-Drive one supposed to be negative one? Poor form...

High school dxd new - 04

High%20School%20DxD%20NEW%20-%2004.jpg

So deep i'm moved
i can't wait to see Azazel come and shake that train of thought

Superb episode .. i have nothing to add , they nailed a perfect balance of PLOT , plot , Fanservice and setting up the final stage ... i'm impressed .

So impressed that i might just re-read vol 3 for the fun factor.

CorvoSol

Wrap around band under his hair iirc

That never even occurred to me.

Time of EVE 2

Really enjoying this show so far. The weird switching to FPV and the CG aren't that swell, but it is still a good show, doing a good job of examining the ethics of android servitude and the overall humanity of robots. Which is nice, since Casshern Sins, the other robot show I'm watching, just kind of assumes that machines have souls, but this show sorta feels that question out. Casshern just goes with it for its more spiritual themes.

In either case, it really is interesting to see the two protagonists interact with machines in the Time of Eve cafe and learn how to get on with them. I'm expecting the crazy twist to be
that the cafe owner is herself an android, and thus one who has found the 0th Law.

Already answered for me. ;P

NISA has been good recently, but I imagine you might be right in terms of flavor vs. literal.

i mean outside of the translation, quite a bit of effort was put into englishing up all the written stuff in the world and in some cutscenes and what not. One of the more impressive rom hackeries i've seen.

CorvoSol

Nia was an awful character and TTGL would've been far better off without her.

She was okay for that very last fight in Lagann Hen, though. Adult Nia was better for me I think because I'm a sucker for Mecha Dudes rescuing their girl from Space Demons and all.

Also, nintendoman58, your analogies are bizarre! Is the Mega-Drive one supposed to be negative one? Poor form...

It's negative at first, considering what just happened. If you were a kid and your beloved SNES broke, and you got a Genesis the next day and your Mom tells you you can't have your SNES back, would you really be happy at first?

I don't think NIA is that bad of a character ... she is not that great either so i don't really get the hate. i think the character didn't do anything worthy of being in a bad spot ..
For me the cast of TTGL is 100% awesome.

zeroshiki

Key points of Yamakan's new show:

-All the VAs are new to the industry
-COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM OTHER IDOL SHOWS, I SWEAR
-Yamakan is a grown-up man now

Did you google translate this yourself? The 2nd is completely wrong.

Maybe that's how the dude who translated it interpreted it but its not what the paper says.

cajunator

Banned
Watched Sankarea over the weekend. Dopey premise but I liked it. Any chance of the rest getting made or should I just read the manga?

Highly unlikely.

It's like the male equivalent of the "fat" anime schoolgirl who has perfectly normal proportions.

Like Rihoko in Amagami. Supposedly she's fat but she totally isnt.

Or he could watch something good, like Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

Rozen Maiden is pretty good. Just has some derp issues and perhaps a slight overuse of the suffix "desu".

fertygo

I dunno if I use the term correctly or not most people doesn't anyway.. I'm just saying its like people shouldn't write this kind of character or adore it.

I don't even like Nia that much but the criticism to her character are representing my dislike to these type of complaint. Bring new dynamic and energy, different from other, got trashed with Mary Sue talk.. man.

I love some of "Too Perfect" character like Jotaro Kujo and Akagi Shigeru, probably my favorite character in any media.. They're too "awesome" and never lose.. I'm not find them offensive maybe because I want my fiction character to being aspiring even if its not realistic by any means.

Well writen and developed character from Writer 101 is great if anyone can create it, but character that became awesome with just basic and simple trait is fine too.. not everyone can create likable character just because the character handsome and awesome, the one that got public approval must've some charm that make it success. No need to classifying and shaming it to specific term.

I think the most offensive of Gary Stu for me is the one that representing an ideal that pushed to the throat of audience like a certain protag that just recently got talked again in this thread u-know-who-with-black-coat like jesus spreading the gospel... ugh. And written with convoluted way.

Character like Nia for me just lacking development , but calling her Mary Shu just because her basic strait kinda not suit me.. call her plot device or even bad character actually fine for me.

TLDR : I Hate the mindset that implying my liking to Chirico Cuvie are less legit than liking Renton.

Tenumi

Banned
Screw my watching schedule I made, I'm gonna wing it. At least it looks like I'll be finished with Suite Precure within 2 weeks or so.

wsippel

Banned
Neptunia 1-3

I don't know what I expected, but there's a reason I waited until this reached three episodes before I gave it a shot. I probably expected this to be either totally awesome (because of David Productions) or completely aweful (because of the source material) - turn's out it is neither. It's not even mediocre, either. It just kinda exists. Maybe David Productions and Idea Factory cancel each other out, leaving just a void. My only takeaway after an hour is that the show apparently exists. So yeah, I'm done here.

Symphogear something or other G: Ridiculous long subtitle 1-4

It's more Symphogear. Obviously with a much higher budget now, and with some massive character upgrades - especially in the chest area. It's still dumb as fuck and completely terrible of course, but holy shit is it fun. It also out-kawamoris everything Kawamori has done since Macross Plus in every single way. Definitely the trainwreck of the season, but also undoubtedly the best action show of the season. By far. The amount of hype and pathos is off the charts.

I just hope ep 4 wasn't a 25 minute death flag, because it sure as hell felt like one. But considering how heavy handed the show is, it's hard to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom