• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phi Brain 24

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! I was not expecting that at all! The fact Rook
already has the puzzle of god
was surprising. Seems like the big show down happens next time!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Rec 10 (End)

Not a bad finale. Kinda predictable, but not bad.
Matsumaru and Aka make up and officially start dating
. Really enjoyed it, and it's interesting that it basically told just as much story as some full-length 13 episode series do in 10 10-minute long episodes. No filler at all, just the important stuff.

What are the hyped anime for this fall?

Samurai Flamenco - leading the way in best plot and character designs with potentially good action
Meganebu! - Interesting visuals and plot so far, for probably the best school club anime
Valvrave 2 - pure mecha bliss with a plot that will promise to never shock and surprise
Phi Brain 3 - Puzzle Time!
Nagi no Asukara - Lovely character design and looks like the most gorgeous anime for location.
Diabolik Lovers - Best otome of 2013, Ayato even.
All sports titles. (Yowamushi Pedal, Ace of Diamond, Kurobasu2)

Servant x Service 12
Damn Lucy was cute this episode. Ichimiya and Chihaya are fairly cute together too. And I think we all saw what was revealed at the end a mile away

Doki Doki Precure 36 spoilers

36: Raquel’s love!?
Raquel fell in love with unknown girl, when he was in human form. But love between fairies and humans isn’t allowed.

THIS NEVER STOPPED YES! PRECURE 5! We really not going to get any plot revelations in the early thirties? Or is it because it fucked over two characters from other seasons?

Kagami

Strike Witches 2 12 -END-

It was a good episode overall to end the season, kinda think the twist at the end was not needed but it wasn't all that bad. The credit reel was really nice. I'd have preferred that we got more of that instead and more insight on what the rest of the witches were up to besides Miyafuji.
While I think I enjoyed season 2 about the same as season 1 overall, I liked the final episode of 1 better than 2.
The sloppy inconsistent way they thew the term "magic power (魔力) around in the last episode of season 2 made me feel like the writer/director just didn't care. Mio is out of power, but somehow the neuroi core can make use of her power for gigantic shields? Everyone is out of power, but then suddenly they're all fine again and not even breaking a sweat? And then when it's over everybody flies all the way back to base instead of back to the ships using their supposedly exhausted magic power? I seriously started wishing they would re-do some of that dialog for the BD release so it didn't sound so dumb.

That was only my complaint, though. The actual events of the last episode were fine, and it looked good.

Rozen Maiden 12
It was pretty interesting to see Sugintou feel sorrow and reminisce over Megu. Souseiseki is definitely among the better dolls. And everything seems wrapped up so I wonder what the next episode is about

LayLa

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

DVD 03: Desert Punk (2004) Episodes 5-8
Audio options: Sub & dub
Extras: subbed clips from the associated radio show, trailer, OP & ED

You join me just as i get misty-eyed about those halcyon days of animes long ago. Ahhhhh Witchblade how i miss you, who knew it was all downhill from there *wipes tear from eye*

Anyway ... Desert Punk. It's a shonen comedy for 12 year old boys. Japan is a desert and water is a precious commodity. The MC is a "handyman", people who wander the deserts doing odd jobs, fight bandits etc. He is also one of the most unpleasant characters i've ever had to watch - arrogant, vain, selfish to a fault, yells every line, obsessed with breasts to the point of monomania - basically every character trait a 12 year old boy could possibly identify with
i know because i was one!
. Goes without saying that i found it painfully unfunny. Outside of a couple of short battle scenes the animation is rudimentary, and the artwork is ugly in that special way that only bad shonen can be.

LVziVIc.jpg

WW35YAh.jpg

Once again the trailer was the best thing on the disc, this time for something called Starship Operators?

Do I want to watch the rest? Not if it was the last anime on earth
Should have marked Witchblade higher, i've run out of scale already: -100/10

It can't get worse than this, the storm has been weathered etc etc *starts mumbling incoherently*

BluWacky

Goes without saying that i found it painfully unfunny. Outside of a couple of short battle scenes the animation is rudimentary, and the artwork is ugly in that special way that only bad shonen can be.

You've been Gonzo-ed. TWICE! First Witchblade, now this! I bet you've got Basilisk and Burst Angel in there somewhere as well :p

Nafe

Servant x Service

Episode 12

Haha, Chihaya has an Attack on Titan outfit hanging up on her wall and right beside that is the schoolgirl uniform used in the Monogatari series(Bake,Nise,Neko etc.).
She was pretty funny all throughout the episode. Like most have already mentioned, many had guessed at the reveal/twist to the end of this episode back after the first. Basically getting Chihaya going "Ha ha!" was worth it though.

Lucy in her outfit was really cute. Personally I like it better when the story or show treats things more comedically and lighthearted rather than sometimes where it comes across as almost more serious or straight.

jman2050

Watamote 11

Ai Nonoka as the committee chairman? Silver Link really is trying to out-Shaft Shaft! Not that I mind of course.

Good episode, good adaptation of these chapters, it sucks that there's only one more episode as the story is far from finished.

CorvoSol

What are the hyped anime for this fall?

Well for me it's Kill la Kill and Valvrave S2. I'm gonna drop Attack on Titan (show is shit anyway) for Kill la Kill, and finish MJP so I can watch VVVS2.

Hopefully I finish Victory Gundam soon, so I don't have to worry 'bout that slime anymore, and then I'll either pick up some newer shows, or start into Getter, Mazinger and Macross.

I have to ask, though: Are Getter, Mazinger, and Macross like UC Gundam? Where Tomino's great ideas were often weighed down by his TERRIBLE pacing and bad ideas?

Mr.Jeff

I saw this on MAL and thought it looked interesting. Guess I'll start it after I finish Rec.
Not to be the guy that says this but, while the anime is a great watch, the manga series is well worth checking out if you're of a mind. It's a bit less frenetic. I think it might also have a slightly different/expanded ending as well? Either way it's pretty solid.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Not to be the guy that says this but, while the anime is a great watch, the manga series is well worth checking out if you're of a mind. It's a bit less frenetic. I think it might also have a slightly different/expanded ending as well? Either way it's pretty solid.

Yeah, I might just check out the manga instead. Realized it's a 26-episode series, and I'm looking for shorter stuff at the moment.

Jarmel

Banned
KnK
KlK
Golden Time
Pupa
Galileo
Valvrave
Monogatari

Coppelion and Yozakura are both on thin ice from the getgo and may be dropped at any time.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 25

Oyajide
makes for a pretty funny incompetent villain. Hiding in all those places, just wandering in, Hana loving him even though he's trying to kidnap her, etc. Watching him fail is good entertainment. His assistant is just straight up cold, though. That revelation is gonna rip Doremi's heart to shreds. She should be onto him though, with his "human world" slip of the tongue and his exit from the Maho-dou at the end. Something's up. But she's too lovestruck to see it. At least he's not a steak.

Ojamajo Doremi # 25

Oyajide
makes for a pretty funny incompetent villain. Hiding in all those places, just wandering in, Hana loving him even though he's trying to kidnap her, etc. Watching him fail is good entertainment. His assistant is just straight up cold, though. That revelation is gonna rip Doremi's heart to shreds. She should be onto him though, with his "human world" slip of the tongue and his exit from the Maho-dou at the end. Something's up. But she's too lovestruck to see it. At least he's not a steak.

He's brown like a hunk of steak though, that Akatsuki.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Lab Episode 12:
Right, this was a bit of a tedious episode because they decided to drag out The Liar Revealed trope out so much and the fallout from that still needs to be dealt with. Though this episode really does show what the emotional core of this show is, the love in love lab is the best friend love between the two leads, especially since they really screwed over the chances of Yan and Nagi as anything other then comic foils and plot devices. I'll be honest, it all feels a tad heavy and forced and not in a good way. Not to mention we have the further tedium of seeing the Maki and Riko act all mopey and then realize that in spite of the lie they will be best friends forever. I can see why Doug Walker hates this trope so much. Kind of sad to see Love Lab wrapping up but on the other hand I would be lying if I said it was not starting to wear out its welcome.

Dynedom

Blood Lad 04

A bit of demons fighting here and Fuyumi being adorable there. Staz ends up
going to see his brother and more importantly
Liz finally shows up :D
Except only for a short time before the credits
after she throws her own brother in her personal jail from hell
:(

Liz isn't at her most :cajun until episode 5/6 onwards, hehe. Remember this show is only 10 episodes, so you're technically at the halfway point already!

Jex

Yeah, and didn't Jexhius watch that sci-fi adaptation of Moby Dick?

I agree with you. As Nakamura shows with "Run, Melos", it is possible for an anime director to reinterpret a classic story in a way that both respects the original and provides fresh insight into its content. Kokoro just... fails to do that. As much as I normally love alternate perspective stuff, I was kind of worried when Episode 2 started, because the act of attempting that exercise itself seemed like a way of making already-implicit material way too explicit, which I normally hate. Since I already wasn't in a charitable mood from the start, I just got madder when the other problems arose. With the parallel story in Melos, Nakamura doesn't have to think too much about the characters as long as the themes hold true. By situating Kokoro's alternate story inside the actual tale, it (to me) suggested a standard of faithfulness that the director didn't reach.
I was going to address Hosanna earlier but it would be easier for me to comment on the entire subject here.

I never stated in my original comment that you shouldn't attempt to interpret a classic work with a different material, although I certainly failed to make that clear. What I actually think is that, should you go down that path the writer, director etc have a certain responsibility to tackle their adaptation with a certain amount of care. Kokoro ep.2 fails because the very concept is inherently problematic - making the material so explicit is pointless. It's not an interesting or fresh take on the story, in fact it threatens to undermine the entire tale.

Nakamura is clearly a very unusual director and few creators appear to have the fairly serious literary chops. The way he adapts books suggests that he isn't simply familiar with the tale, rather he has intimate knowledge of the story from top to bottom and appears to have studied it at some length. This is quite apparent when viewing Run, Melos! because it goes above and beyond what's required or expected of an anime adaptation which is to simply set the story to pictures.

In that sense he's an all to rare talent in the industry as it appears that a number of director's are solely influenced by the anime they watched growing up, rather than a far wider variety of sources. This is a problem that both Satoshi Kon and Shinichiro Watanabe have commented on.

Anyway, thanks for writing such meaty review of the tales in Aoi Bungaku and I hope they inspire others to investigate the series.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kanamemo 1

Well...this is certainly a Manga Time Kirara show. Which means I'll probably love it!

They certainly did go a bit further than I was expecting with some of the yuri/ecchi stuff. It's not too bad or anything, I just wasn't expecting much of it is all. The yuri in particular is surprising, since they have a
couple
right from the get-go. Don't see that very often.

But yeah, good stuff so far!

Phi brain 25

Well the final battle between kaito and rook was disappointing. The best part was watching the other title characters combine their skills to help Kaito. This could have been the last episode of the series... If the ending didn't have a next time on phi brain. Seems like s1 and s2 aired b2b which is kinda cool how often does that happen?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gatchaman Crowds Episode 11: Okay, just want to give a heads up to those who have not watched the episode yet, the first half is a god damned recap affair using recycled footage and we are given testimonials from the Gatchamen members about the veneration of Hajime and how she touched their lives.
The real episode sees us once again focus on one of my favorite aspects of the show, the role and influence of social media in our lives and Rui presumably gets back control of GALAX because of the power of friendship and indeed we she the ultra modern coordination efforts, including registering people for GALAX and the passing out of free smart phones. Real life rescue efforts are probably going to look like this if they have don't already. I also liked the Prime Minister finallly nutting up and address the people and subsequently get into an argument on the live stream with the commenters. Though as it turns out, all of this was a ruse conconcted by Berg-Katze to give all of the GALAX users the power of the CROWDS and thus the world shall burn.
Overall, in spite of the recap half episode I enjoyed this, and right Gatchaman Crowds is on track to be my AOTY, though I suspect this will change in the Fall.

Gatchaman Crowds Episode 11: Okay, just want to give a heads up to those who have not watched the episode yet, the first half is a god damned recap affair using recycled footage and we are given testimonials from the Gatchamen members about the veneration of Hajime and how she touched their lives.

Thanks for the warning, seems completely odd and unnecessary for a 12 episode anime to need a recap especially considering most of the action took place in like the time span of one day.

cajunator

Banned
I personally love the ahoge and the sound effect associated wit it .

Pin pon! Sou desu!

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

DVD 03: Desert Punk (2004) Episodes 5-8
Audio options: Sub & dub
Extras: subbed clips from the associated radio show, trailer, OP & ED

You join me just as i get misty-eyed about those halcyon days of animes long ago. Ahhhhh Witchblade how i miss you, who knew it was all downhill from there *wipes tear from eye*

Anyway ... Desert Punk. It's a shonen comedy for 12 year old boys. Japan is a desert and water is a precious commodity. The MC is a "handyman", people who wander the deserts doing odd jobs, fight bandits etc. He is also one of the most unpleasant characters i've ever had to watch - arrogant, vain, selfish to a fault, yells every line, obsessed with breasts to the point of monomania - basically every character trait a 12 year old boy could possibly identify with
i know because i was one!
. Goes without saying that i found it painfully unfunny. Outside of a couple of short battle scenes the animation is rudimentary, and the artwork is ugly in that special way that only bad shonen can be.

Once again the trailer was the best thing on the disc, this time for something called Starship Operators?

Do I want to watch the rest? Not if it was the last anime on earth
Should have marked Witchblade higher, i've run out of scale already: -100/10

It can't get worse than this, the storm has been weathered etc etc *starts mumbling incoherently*

Oh man...another show I enjoyed a lot. Particularly the dub. Watched this one with anime club in college and have fond memories of it lol.
I wonder if seeing these shows right in the middle might be ruining first impressions of them, as the first couple episodes of Desert punk are absolutely hilarious, then the show takes a change of pace.

Liz isn't at her most :cajun until episode 5/6 onwards, hehe. Remember this show is only 10 episodes, so you're technically at the halfway point already!

I fell asleep from pure exhaustion watching the beginning of episode 5 but I got hints of how cute she is already. WIll resume shortly. Hopefully I dont die.

The real episode sees us once again focus on one of my favorite aspects of the show, the role and influence of social media in our lives and Rui presumably gets back control of GALAX because of the power of friendship and indeed we she the ultra modern coordination efforts, including registering people for GALAX and the passing out of free smart phones. Real life rescue efforts are probably going to look like this if they have don't already. I also liked the Prime Minister finallly nutting up and address the people and subsequently get into an argument on the live stream with the commenters. Though as it turns out, all of this was a ruse conconcted by Berg-Katze to give all of the GALAX users the power of the CROWDS and thus the world shall burn.
Overall, in spite of the recap half episode I enjoyed this, and right Gatchaman Crowds is on track to be my AOTY, though I suspect this will change in the Fall.

Not gonna read the spoilers

That's balls though, won't be able to watch it til later tonight but I'm glad to hear the second half is bad ass.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Which is also a good recommendation if you want a romance/comedy but don't mind it being 100 episodes long. Which, these days, is probably no-one because most people wouldn't have that kind of time to sink into a series.
Shame, as Maison Ikkoku is one of the best anime made.

LayLa

Oh man...another show I enjoyed a lot. Particularly the dub. Watched this one with anime club in college and have fond memories of it lol.
I wonder if seeing these shows right in the middle might be ruining first impressions of them, as the first couple episodes of Desert punk are absolutely hilarious, then the show takes a change of pace.

haha, i felt for sure that no one would stand up for Desert Punk.
just drew DVD 04 - don't want to get my hopes up but i have reason to believe it's at least competently made and the on-disc artwork is nice. it's also *shock horror* a Vol 1!

cajunator

Banned
haha, i felt for sure that no one would stand up for Desert Punk.
just drew DVD 04 - don't want to get my hopes up but i have reason to believe it's at least competently made and the on-disc artwork is nice. it's also *shock horror* a Vol 1!

Its ok. I like a wide variety of anime and Desert Punk happened to tickle my funnybone quite a bit. Plus the apprentice girl was adorable. And the way big boobed girl was always teasing Desert Punk. It was hilarious to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom