• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Spirited Away
This was a very pretty film. Even in terms of the CG, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that's seen howl's or one of Ghibli's Shorts that utilises it. While in part it was still noticeable. I wish other studios could integrate CG even half as elegantly into their works as Ghibli's done.
Moving on to the actual film it was certainly imaginative if nothing else. The faceless was the best character but the boiler operator and the bathmaid were pretty good too. Overall it was very reminiscent of Howl's and Mononoke too I'd say. More than older MIyazaki films. Surprisingly the flying was even a very tiny part of the film though it was still there.
I think I should rewatch it to appreciate some of its finer nuance though.

I quite like Spirited Away. I can recognise some of the flaws people usually point out, but it's a through-and-through fantasy film that feels both grand in scope and personal, while maintaining a sense of wonder, having Chihiro meet all these weird creatures (great designs btw, some of the best the guy has done). The more lax standards for correcting animation compared to previous Miyazaki films really give it character too.

The CG was certainly much better integrated than in Mononoke, but I feel that the best exploration of that is still to be found on My Neighbours the Yamadas and Ghiblies 2. It's probably much easier to do with the style of those two.

Another actually did make me cringe. The scene where
her face gets impaled by the umbrella

The
hanging death
in the end actually bothered me a bit.

I never really thought Another was funny at all. Deaths have to be pretty much Superjail levels of insane for me to not take them seriously.

Lurky

The Illya fanservice show

How long is this show going to be again? The recaps are already getting pretty lengthy.

It's been a while since we've seen Rin and hot-blonde-whose-name-I-don't-know in their magical girl outfits. Good stuff. Now I want to see them in S&M outfits.

I love the scene in the rain! There's an ass almost every other shot. Illya is soooo cute when she cries. <3 And to top it off;
an epic fight scene with Illya in a hot outfit.

cajunator

Banned
Spirited Away
This was a very pretty film. Even in terms of the CG, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that's seen howl's or one of Ghibli's Shorts that utilises it. While in part it was still noticeable. I wish other studios could integrate CG even half as elegantly into their works as Ghibli's done.
Moving on to the actual film it was certainly imaginative if nothing else. The faceless was the best character but the boiler operator and the bathmaid were pretty good too. Overall it was very reminiscent of Howl's and Mononoke too I'd say. More than older MIyazaki films. Surprisingly the flying was even a very tiny part of the film though it was still there.
I think I should rewatch it to appreciate some of its finer nuance though.

This is one of my favorite Ghibli films. So imaginative and fun. It has absolutely incredible atmosphere and draws you into a world that feels so alien and yet so comfortable. NoFace was a very interesting character, driven mad by loneliness and greed yet at times so gentle and friendly. The boilerman is probably my favorite character in the show.

The Illya fanservice show

How long is this show going to be again? The recaps are already getting pretty lengthy.

It's been a while since we've seen Rin and hot-blonde-whose-name-I-don't-know in their magical girl outfits. Good stuff. Now I want to see them in S&M outfits.

I love the scene in the rain! There's an ass almost every other shot. Illya is soooo cute when she cries. <3 And to top it off;
an epic fight scene with Illya in a hot outfit.

Its so true.

Majestic Prince 13

1st OP > 2nd OP

This new kid is a fucking freak. Wtf is up with him.

1st ED > 2nd ED

I dont like where they selected for the vocals for the 1st OP (full song is quite good), but PROMPT is a good spot and has better instrumentals (though full song has unneeded garbage in it :( ).

2nd ED - Guys version is best.

cnet128

Banned
Stella C3-bu 12

Man, that was a great final episo...wait, what do you mean there's still one left?!

Yeah, sorry Theonik, but I'm definitely with Shard on this one. This show has done a great job with its character drama up until now, particularly with Yura's development and growth, and this episode was a great feelgood payoff where Yura has finally figured out where she wants to be and we finally get to see the whole club together, enjoying the motherloving heck out of themselves. Really felt like we'd earned this =D

The one aspect of the show that has always seemed a little odd to me is the supernatural element with Yura's supposed reality-warping powers. And yes, it bugged me a little here too. But at the same time, I think this episode proved the gut feeling I've had all along: that the so-called reality warping shouldn't be taken too literally, but more as an extension of Yura's passion and imagination; when other people can "see" the worlds she creates, it's not because she's literally altering reality but simply because her enthusiasm is so infectious that other people get drawn into her fantasies.

And taken in that light, I think the big climax of this episode worked wonderfully. Of course it wasn't really about
the entire school somehow being transformed into an opposing army
; it was about Yura's infectious determination not to let this final game end, to inspire the whole club to battle their hearts out until they could battle no longer, so as to have no regrets. The "transformed world" was a metaphor for that perfect moment that she drew them all into. A fitting ending, really...

...Except that there's still one more episode. I'm guessing it will be more of an "omake" than anything; a bonus little lighthearted episode after the main story is over. To which I say: excellent! Any opportunity to see more of the whole club together enjoying themselves is welcome in my book =)

Stella C3-bu 12

The one aspect of the show that has always seemed a little odd to me is the supernatural element with Yura's supposed reality-warping powers. And yes, it bugged me a little here too. But at the same time, I think this episode proved the gut feeling I've had all along: that the so-called reality warping shouldn't be taken too literally, but more as an extension of Yura's passion and imagination; when other people can "see" the worlds she creates, it's not because she's literally altering reality but simply because her enthusiasm is so infectious that other people get drawn into her fantasies.

This sounds so hot. Yura sounds like an okay protagonist, as this clearly gives more ideas to "write with".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
From what I have researched the supernatural element is a Gainax invention as it does not exist in the manga.

Articalys

And now the website is live, not that there's much to see right now besides the key visual and character designs.
cumXgVC.png

NNfEWiI.png

KPSk5zI.png

Lurky

Love Lab 12

I'm not sure how to feel about this episode but i'm sure glad I took a break from my marathon to see it. The way it was building up I really thought Maki would confess or get caught. Or may she did but they haven't revealed it yet. I wonder what they'll do with Jan... In the end it was a good episode but pretty normal stuff for the show.

cajunator

Banned
Blood Lad 06

More demon fighting. Lots of demons beating the shit out of each other.
Fuyumi is just kind of there. Lots of talking about power and flashbacks and all kinds of shonen stuff.
The preview for next episode seems to confirm what Im waiting for :D

Maji de Otaku na English! Ribbon-chan Season 2 10

ZGTIHvVl.jpg

Pretty much your typical way of ending a show like this. Needs more Kobayashi yelling though.

Lurky

Fate/loli in a maid costume and Illya

The fanservice is strong with this one...
Seriously this episode has maid outfits and loli on loli action? Best episode so far! ;-; I had no idea Illya was such a pervert. I love her even more now~<3 Too bad about that ending though.

If this keeps up, I might be forced to buy the blu-ray.

cnet128

Banned
Symphogear G 12

You know, every time Kirika and Shirabe start singing their character songs, it doesn't matter what the hell is going on storywise, it's just automatically awesome. Love those two to death.

DAKARA SONNA SEKAI WA KIRIKIZANDE AGEMASHOU

Oh and
Shirabe's Zesshou is a giant fucking robot with giant fucking saws for hands
. Pity it didn't actually get to do much, but still. That's a thing of beauty.

And yeah,
Hibiki seized control of Maria's Gungnir
. I'd say "I called it", but it was so obvious that was going to happen that there's probably not much point. Bonus points for
broadcasting live footage of both of them stark naked to the entire world in the process
, though.

Kris and Tsubasa were also pretty damn cool, but that kind of goes without saying.
The power of trust > your sneaky little gambits, Mad Scientist Sugita. Though I guess you did succeed in firing Nastasia at the moon this episode, so you get some villain points for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom