• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kanamemo 2

What's that? A Rie Kugimiya-voiced tsundere? Why yes, Kanamemo, I did need more of that in my life. :D

Also, mouth-to-mouth. :lol

Nafe

JGQzzPS.jpg

Hm, that's kind of interesting. Looking up the shows airing in the Fall season and it looks like Seiya Numata will be directing White Album 2. It looks like it will be his first time as a director as well I believe. As far as I know he's an animator known for his more energetic or exaggerated style. I think he was the one who did that episode of Kannagi that 7Th and Mad Pierrot were talking about through the gifs comparing the TV and home release.

I wonder what the show's going to be like then. It looks more like a love triangle kind of romance/drama, slice of life type of story. It seems like the original visual novel has gotten some pretty good review scores as well.

Here's a PV if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ydXCRXoEQ

cajunator

Banned
Blood Lad 05

A bunch of stuff happened.
Fuyumi
is starting to disappear so something has to be done to restore her before its too late
Lots more demon fighting and angst. but more importantly...

LIZ IS ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE AND I WANT TO SQUEEHUG HER

The wait was worth it!

Theonik

While I think I enjoyed season 2 about the same as season 1 overall, I liked the final episode of 1 better than 2.
The sloppy inconsistent way they thew the term "magic power (魔力) around in the last episode of season 2 made me feel like the writer/director just didn't care. Mio is out of power, but somehow the neuroi core can make use of her power for gigantic shields? Everyone is out of power, but then suddenly they're all fine again and not even breaking a sweat? And then when it's over everybody flies all the way back to base instead of back to the ships using their supposedly exhausted magic power? I seriously started wishing they would re-do some of that dialog for the BD release so it didn't sound so dumb.

That was only my complaint, though. The actual events of the last episode were fine, and it looked good.
Yes I also found that odd. The writers definitely didn't seem to care about any sort of consistency and just kept re-writing whatever rules they set to their convenience which certainly felt lazy if nothing else, though the actual action wasn't too bad.

Why are people hyped for Pupa? Have we got any videos on it....the concept sounds pretty messed up.
Manga hype I'd imagine.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just realized that Kanamemo has the entire main female cast of Toradora in it, as well (Horie, Kugimiya, and Kitamura).

Yep. My kind of show.

Gatchaman Crowds 11
This show is definitely my AoTS. The first half was boring. The prime minster became awesome and shit is certainly hitting the fan now

So since I got done with HxH 2011, I went back to watching Toriko again. Something I noticed about Toriko is that the episodes are really short. Like almost 15-20mins short.

The opening is 1min 30secs long, the recap is about 30secs long, the special by the TV lady is 1min long, and the preview is about 20secs long. So that makes about 3-4mins of extras that make the episodes short. I was wondering why I was finishing episodes so fast and this is why.

I'm not mad about this since it just makes it easier for me to catch up. Just something noticed.

Theonik

C3 Club 12
izY1ge8Fds0mW.png
ifa2kS2SCUQ2k.png

"This is the episode where we just dump all the visual gags we came up with the writing staff were keeping us from using"
This show seriously has no idea what it wants to be. As it stands I don't even think it can do either thing it sets out to do much justice though.
I actually felt that much of this episode however was the best the show's been in weeks save for the occasional oddity still present due to a general lack of competence still present in the show.
After seeing this episode I honestly think that what Gainax really should have done was revise the show in scope and make it into a 10m/episode ONA and focus on the airsoft and gags while toning it down somewhat so that it doesn't feel jarring.
I give this episode a "Didn't make me want to cut myself/pie"

Just realized that Kanamemo has the entire main female cast of Toradora in it, as well (Horie, Kugimiya, and Kitamura).

Yep. My kind of show.
Save yourself the horror. But hey It's not like I finished it. Gave up around episode 7 or so. Need to get it out of the way eventually.

Tenumi

Banned
So... um... I'm catching up on Sword Art Online because I missed the last two weeks of Toonami.

I'm so glad I've got GTAV now to relieve this stupidity-induced anger with....

cajunator

Banned
So... um... I'm catching up on Sword Art Online because I missed the last two weeks of Toonami.

I'm so glad I've got GTAV now to relieve this stupidity-induced anger with....

I detest both of those things but for what its worth you chose the correct girl for your avatar.

cnet128

Banned
But was she ADORABLY rapey?

Am I ever going to live this one down?

(I stand by my assertion that the original shot in question was, in fact, adorably rapey.)

C3 Club 12

After seeing this episode I honestly think that what Gainax really should have done was revise the show in scope and make it into a 10m/episode ONA and focus on the airsoft and gags while toning it down somewhat so that it doesn't feel jarring.

While I haven't seen this latest episode yet (a fact which I intend to remedy shortly), your proposal sounds like it would reduce focus on the awesomeness of Yura. And that sounds like a bad idea.

cajunator

Banned
Am I ever going to live this one down?

(I stand by my assertion that the original shot in question was, in fact, adorably rapey.)

While I haven't seen this latest episode yet (a fact which I intend to remedy shortly), your proposal sounds like it would reduce focus on the awesomeness of Yura. And that sounds like a bad idea.

Lol. Its a memorable phrase. You know I love ya Cnet :)

I always get that Strawberry Panic show mixed up with Ichigo 100%. I've never seen Strawberry Panic but it has strawberry in it's title, while Ichigo 100% has to do with strawberries. I still remember I got into an argument with this one girl about Strawberry Panic's story and it turns out I was talking about Ichigo 100% the whole time, smh. My memory is terrible.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I always get that Strawberry Panic show mixed up with Ichigo 100%. I've never seen Strawberry Panic but it has strawberry in it's title, while Ichigo 100% has to do with strawberries. I still remember I got into an argument with this one girl about Strawberry Panic's story and it turns out I was talking about Ichigo 100% the whole time, smh. My memory is terrible.

I get Strawberry Panic, Ichigo 100%, and Strawberry Marshmallow mixed up all the time, and I've never seen any of them.

EDIT: Wait, I forgot I watched like half of the first episode of Strawberry Panic and kinda hated it.

cajunator

Banned

Strawberry Panic is about a formal school and yuri. Ichigo 100% is about a mystery and strawberry panties.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
C3 Club 12

This show seriously has no idea what it wants to be. As it stands I don't even think it can do either thing it sets out to do much justice though.
I actually felt that much of this episode however was the best the show's been in weeks save for the occasional oddity still present due to a general lack of competence still present in the show.
I give this episode a "Didn't make me want to cut myself/pie"

I disagree with the notion that Stella does not know what it wants to be. In fact, I would say it knows exactly what it wants to be, beyond K-on! with Airsoft rifles. What it wanted to be and indeed what it best succeeded at is being a coming of age story of a shy and meek girl and how through her exercises with airsoft, good and bad, comes to radically change and redefine her entire state of being.

Strawberry Panic is about a formal school and yuri. Ichigo 100% is about a mystery and strawberry panties.

That's the only reason I remember that I watched Ichigo 100%, because it was about something as absurd as strawberry panties. I watched the whole thing but it's the only thing I remember.

Theonik

I disagree with the notion that Stella does not know what it wants to be. In fact, I would say it knows exactly what it wants to be, beyond K-on! with Airsoft rifles. What it wanted to be and indeed what it best succeeded at is being a coming of age story of a shy and meek girl and how through her exercises with airsoft, good and bad, comes to radically change and redefine her entire state of being.
The trouble is I don't think it does that successfully at all. Not even 1% and the comment on the show not knowing what it wants to be is more about the crazy mood whiplash it suffered from. That's not even before they threw the supernatural stuff into the pot that are just there for the most part.

cajunator

Banned
What about I My Me! Strawberry Eggs?

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about this show except that its name is hilarious.

I own this on DVD lol. Its about a dude who cross dresses as a woman teacher so he can teach at a school with a militant feminist dean.

That's the only reason I remember that I watched Ichigo 100%, because it was about something as absurd as strawberry panties. I watched the whole thing but it's the only thing I remember.

There is also Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow) which is an adorable comedy show with little girls.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Another 7

Damn now this is some gory shit.

2NnGduI.jpg

You got red on you.

Holy shit at half way through, this is almost some Junji Ito level horror sequence.

So you're all gonna go to a spooky forest to visit a spooky shine, stay in a spooky lodge in order to make the deaths stop? Yeah, that's a good idea.

I own this on DVD lol. Its about a dude who cross dresses as a woman teacher so he can teach at a school with a militant feminist dean.

:lol, that could either be really bad or really good.

jediyoshi

Love Lab 12

DWSqlCK.png

Nice animation this episode, they go pretty wild with animating Maki's hair and just seemed like more idle movement going on between everyone during conversations.

I'm liking this split between school/cram school more now that they seem mostly done with having to introduce things.

Glad the lie is finally out of the way, was scared they were going to make it ambiguous and draw it out longer. That very last scene specifically seemed like it was there to hammer the point in.

cajunator

Banned
Another 7

Holy shit at half way through, this is some Junji Ito shit.

So you're all gonna go to a spooky forest to visit a spooky shine, stay in a spooky lodge in order to make the deaths stop? Yeah, that's a good idea.

:lol, that could either be really bad or really good.

Its nothing special but I found it to be a lighthearted comedy with a bit of romance on the side. Its not terrible.The art though is VERY 90s/early 2000's.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Another 7

Holy shit at half way through, this is some Junji Ito shit.

I thought about watching Another, but then I decided that much like Final Destination, I'd save time and have roughly the same experience if I just watched a compilation of all the deaths on Youtube.

I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.

I thought about watching Another, but then I decided that much like Final Destination, I'd save time and have roughly the same experience if I just watched a compilation of all the deaths on Youtube.

I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.

Another was way funnier than any of the Final Destination movies.

Love Lab 12

Literally dragging out the lie, although it got out at the end just for the sake of justifying the 13th episode. Seeing that get dragged out sort of made this episode harder to deal with even with the occasional funny bits.

Jex

Miyazaki isn't media trained in the normal sense and says whatever shit comes to his mind with no mind of consequences (he publicly criticized the Japanese government for the nuclear stuff and is pro war reparations). I mean, the whole deal with Goro isn't really something people should be airing out in public but he wrote an essay on it and approved a documentary specifically about it. I'm sure there will be something interesting.

I'm super interested in how this will deal with Takahata since he's been super reclusive. The whole relationship between Takahata and Miyazaki is not something that's been explored in any meaningful way up to now. The article says there might be quite a bit of focus on him and Kaguya Hime since the movie comes just before Kaguya Hime opens.
Well that's good, sounds like it has the potential to very interesting.

Neptunia 11
So the new goddess is that social activist girl, who is now a sadist and the is the CPU of Atari
. Fairly crazy. And I thought the last episode seemed to look like a good place to stop

Theonik

Spirited Away
This was a very pretty film. Even in terms of the CG, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that's seen howl's or one of Ghibli's Shorts that utilises it. While in part it was still noticeable. I wish other studios could integrate CG even half as elegantly into their works as Ghibli's done.
Moving on to the actual film it was certainly imaginative if nothing else. The faceless was the best character but the boiler operator and the bathmaid were pretty good too. Overall it was very reminiscent of Howl's and Mononoke too I'd say. More than older MIyazaki films. Surprisingly the flying was even a very tiny part of the film though it was still there.
I think I should rewatch it to appreciate some of its finer nuance though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The trouble is I don't think it does that successfully at all. Not even 1% and the comment on the show not knowing what it wants to be is more about the crazy mood whiplash it suffered from. That's not even before they threw the supernatural stuff into the pot that are just there for the most part.

Once again I disagree since the mood changes reflected Yura's mood changes, we go back to a light an airy tone because she is in a good place head-space wise again. The supernatural stuff, yea, I agree that was not needed and indeed that was Gianax being Gainax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom