• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
C7iWQAR.jpg
what a feeble brain

cajunator

Banned
Blood Lad 07

HHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*breathes
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*dies

This is one of my favorite Ghibli films. So imaginative and fun. It has absolutely incredible atmosphere and draws you into a world that feels so alien and yet so comfortable. NoFace was a very interesting character, driven mad by loneliness and greed yet at times so gentle and friendly. The boilerman is probably my favorite character in the show.

When I saw that film for the first time, my first reaction was: wut?

Really. People have kept making it out that it was a masterpiece among filmmaking, so I was expecting a really big and grand story. Instead I got something really calm, with nothing too massive going on, and everything just seemed...relaxing.

It was like an art museum where every now and then I saw something intriguing only for it to move along quickly. It wasn't what I was expecting in terms of storytelling, but I couldn't deny in the end that it was a very well made and pretty-to-look at movie.

cajunator

Banned
When I saw that film for the first time, my first reaction was: wut?

Really. People have kept making it out that it was a masterpiece among filmmaking, so I was expecting a really big and grand story. Instead I got something really calm, with nothing too massive going on, and everything just seemed...relaxing.

It was like an art museum where every now and then I saw something intriguing only for it to move along quickly. It wasn't what I was expecting in terms of storytelling, but I couldn't deny in the end that it was a very well made and pretty-to-look at movie.

The weakness of spirited away was the story. There really wasnt much of one.

The weakness of spirited away was the story. There really wasnt much of one.

When I read the story description, I excepted to shed some tears. Sadly I got nothing. Aside from everything pretty to look at, it was a generic, nothing kind of story. It's one of those rare cases where something about a film is so good its weak points just fade away.

Chuck

Still without luck
Free

Really enjoyed this episode. The yelling between Rin and Rei was really great. It was pretty predictable that Rin sucked in Australia and was angry as a result, but the episode didn't act like that was a big revelation. It was more about Rin not having a team that made him so bitter. Also we almost actually got Haru saying he likes Makoto with the most blush yet! Even when Nagisa asked him on the slide he played into it. I guess that's all we can hope for. [spoiler}fuck.{/spoiler]

That twist at the end was pretty unexpected though! I wonder what's going to happen next week because Rin is going to swim in that race. How can he not!

Sain Seya Omega - 71

This episode was mostly good , with a few bad points here and there.

First i'll salute the excellent cross over from precure since regina came into the sain seya universe... ( i guess that explain why she isn't in dokidoki precure anymore )

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2071_01.jpg

Eden doing an excellent job impressing the ladies.

Selene , wait i mean regina wasn't a bad character at all, in fact she did a great job given what her role was. Good point.

So this episode we get introduced to another new character, Celeris is screaming "death flag" all over the place so i was expecting something yet the writter managed to do something good with the character. Dat undergound fight was quite good.

Eden was a badass, seriously i think i know why he wasn't around during the first part... if he was, then almost all of pallas soldier would have been defeated by now. Overall , the whole cast was excellent and the dynamic of the battle and even the dialog was good.

The only downside of this episode was yet again subaru.

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2071_02.jpg

Oh yes you are

Subaru is not a good asset in battle, he can't do squat against tier 2 palasites , and can't even beat tier 3... he is using the escuse of his armor , but that didn't prevent him from getting his ass kicked numerous times in the last 20 episodes.

But this character has the nerve to talk aloud about his POW, as if he is the only one right , provocating anyone in his way , even his allies.
What was the point of acting konw-it-all during the saint discussion ..heck even a little girl has better arguments ( as shown in the freaking episode )
Subaru existance is nerfing the whole group, celeris would have been much at ease if he didn't have the weight of subaru to protect during that fight . Seriously , just remove him , just give him a real purpose, just do something with this character !!!!

NO i wasn't joking yesterday when i said to kirbyguy that ikari (shiny luminous ) in precuremax heart was a much more developped character. it's freaking true. I just can't understand the point of the character at all. He has
-no impact on the story
-no impact on the battles
-no skill to show off
-manage to nerf every character that his close to him in battle
-arrogant to a fault , despite having no skills
-Dat horrible design , cloth design ,
-No purpose in life , except to be strong ( failling to do that )
-No past , no redeeming feature except that "special cosmo" that was forshadowed yet isn't used at all by ANY of the characters.

I don't want to turn this post into a subaru hate post ( i believe me i want to ) since this episode was trully enjoyable if no for this moment, eden rocks , new characters ( both of them ) are great in either story or battle strenght, animation was alright , eden new skill was jizzing on screen worthy .. and the whole team is finally together.. it was a pretty good episode , if not for that anomaly called "subaru"

cnet128

Banned
Love Lab 12

OH NOES MAKI UNCOVER TERRIBLE SECRET. WHAT YOU DO NOW MAKI.

Correct answer:
say to Riko "It's okay that you don't have any experience. Let's become more experienced...together."
yes of course I mean that in a yuri way.

Gintama Episode 25 – A Shared Soup Pot Is a Microcosm of Life
tumblr_mtgfq8b9ix1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Where is Tommy Heavenly6, the new OP is awful. The new ED is alright but still not as good as the first one. When does Gintama get good OP and ED music again.

Hilarious episode had me laughing so much, nabe stuff is so serious
then the final moments with that odd animation shift or something and the greens and reds. Why couldnt they have brought out that type of stuff from the start. Gintama got quite good all of a sudden. IF everything can stay as good from here on out then maybe it will finally get to Sket Dances level and higher

Narag

then the final moments with that odd animation shift or something and the greens and reds. Why couldnt they have brought out that type of stuff from the start. Gintama got quite good all of a sudden. IF everything can stay as good from here on out then maybe it will finally get to Sket Dances level and higher

That ep kept me going. I liked it up until then but this ep was on another level entirely.

Where is Tommy Heavenly6, the new OP is awful. The new ED is alright but still not as good as the first one. When does Gintama get good OP and ED music again.

This is actually the moment where gintama kick off and never stop being awesome and unpredictable... you have reached the front gate , enjoy your +230 episodes of awesome you have left.

santeesioux

I think i am going to wait for Toonami to pick up Attack on Titan to hate watch it for a first watch. Should have done that with SAO, not making the same mistake twice.

Crocodile

I think i am going to wait for Toonami to pick up Attack on Titan to hate watch it for a first watch. Should have done that with SAO, not making the same mistake twice.

SAO makes you hate life and yourself. AoT is just flawed (though it has some sweet highs). It's not offensive to the senses like SAO is.

Branduil

AoT is not comparable to SAO. AoT is at least an actual, albeit amateur attempt at legitimate storytelling, and it's the diametrical opposite of SAO in how it treats women. Plus AoT actually has good action scenes.

Neptunia The animation - 11

Yet again a very good episode ..

This turn of events is nothing surprising if you've played the games but it was pulled off rather nicely here.

Loving the voice talent for each voice ( normal & cpu mode ) for each CPU , good work everyone.

7Th

AoT is not comparable to SAO. AoT is at least an actual, albeit amateur attempt at legitimate storytelling, and it's the diametrical opposite of SAO in how it treats women. Plus AoT actually has good action scenes.

AoT has ONE action scene, they just repeat many times in different episodes. SAO is the same, I guess; once you've seen one weightless Kirito slash, you've seen them all.

jediyoshi

Love Lab 12

OH NOES MAKI UNCOVER TERRIBLE SECRET. WHAT YOU DO NOW MAKI.

Correct answer:
say to Riko "It's okay that you don't have any experience. Let's become more experienced...together."
yes of course I mean that in a yuri way.

I'd kickstart it.

Rewatching now, forgot how brutal the end of the Maki/Yan conversation was. Damn, girl.

What are some good horror or psychological series that have come out since Paranoia Agent/Paprika?

I've watched Another, Occult Academy, Gyo, Kemonozume, tried watching some of Bokurano, tried watching some of Blood-C, tried watching some other anime that was a bit Lovecraftian and had a little girl and the first episode had some guy with a knife but I forgot the name....

I've also been watching Flowers of Evil and enjoying it.

Any recommendations?

cajunator

Banned
What are some good horror or psychological series that have come out since Paranoia Agent/Paprika?

I've watched Another, Occult Academy, Gyo, Kemonozume, tried watching some of Bokurano, tried watching some of Blood-C, tried watching some other anime that was a bit Lovecraftian and had a little girl and the first episode had some guy with a knife but I forgot the name....

Any recommendations?

Future diary?

wonzo

Banned

Any recommendations?
Trapeze aka Kuuchuu Buranko
Mouryou no Hako
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
One Outs
Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki
The Curse of Kazuo Umezu
Aoi Bungaku
Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales
Mononoke
Monster

There's also a ton of 80's & 90's OVA's I'm forgetting/overlooking and sticking with Blood-C is worth it for the incredible ending. Flowers of Evil is great too.

e: You'd have much better luck with manga too as there's a treasure trove of stuff. Also Hosanna's post below touches upon some great recent stuff too.

Any recommendations?

Asura is a brutal and horrific film. Death Billiards is a Twilight Zone-esque psychological thriller short. Rozen Maiden 2013 has some horror elements. Those are the three recent anime that come to mind.

mhs004

The next OP is my favorite. Then the music keeps being great, honestly I think it has better music and OPs then bleach.

7Th

Any recommendations?

Le Portrait De La Petit Cossette; Shinbo's final actually Shinbo work.

Okay firehawk.

Even the buildings behind them are identical.

Articalys

As we enter the second round of Saimoe, the dust has cleared on the first day of battles and the dramatic results of the Ayase-Madoka-Homura match are...
A1
1st 526 (52.44%) Mami Tomoe @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 374 (37.29%) Yozora Mikazuki @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
3rd 103 (10.27%) Iwai Mushanokouji @ Dansai Bunri No Crime Edge

B1
1st 438 (41.63%) Ayase Aragaki @ Ore No Imouto Ga Konna Ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai
2nd 413 (39.26%) Madoka Kaname @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
3rd 201 (19.11%) Homura Akemi @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica

C1
1st 461 (46.57%) Shinka Nibutani @ Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai!
2nd 427 (43.13%) Squid Girl @ Squid Girl
3rd 102 (10.30%) Yuzuko Nonohara @ Yuyushiki
Yes, PMMM fans couldn't decide on the right strategy and wound up with their worst-case scenario, neither magical girl winning and Homura paying the ultimate price, getting knocked out of the tournament early again. She'll get one more chance next year thanks to the third movie, and hopefully the bracket draw won't screw her over three times in a row...

In good news for the series, though, former champion Mami cleans up easily elsewhere.

cnet128

Banned
Gatchaman Crowds 11

I didn't think the first half of the episode was too bad, actually. It was nice seeing all the characters' reflections on how they've changed over the course of the series. The constant overt Hajime-worship was perhaps a little excessive, but then, Hajime is totally a goddess so it's not like it doesn't make perfect sense.

And then the second half of the episode was just...chaos. Everywhere. Everyone doing their best to turn the situation around for the better, except of course Katze who is just taking advantage wherever he can to do the exact opposite.
X finally breaking free of Katze and returning to her real master
was pretty heartwarming, and the Prime Minister's antics were pretty entertaining in their earnestness.

And then Katze
grants Crowds to everyone. This is clearly a Bad Thing and designed to work out in his favour in some way, but in what way exactly isn't immediately obvious. The reason the existing Crowds are causing nothing but disaster isn't because they're inherently evil or anything, but because Katze deliberately gave them to unstable individuals and encouraged them to let loose; intuitively I would have thought that giving honest citizens the Crowds ability would only allow them to achieve good things.

But yeah,
there are any number of ways this can turn out to Katze's advantage. I suspect what it comes down to is the inherent fragility of the Crowds: even if the new "good" Crowds fight against the "evil" Crowds, there's a good chance they'll end up annihilating one another and causing mass casualties on both sides. The Gatchamen are fighting against the "evil" Crowds too, sure, but they're both well-protected and taking care to avoid actually destroying the enemy Crowds. The civilians aren't well-informed enough to have that restraint, or to effectively protect themselves. Basically this could escalate into an honest-to-god war. Humans fighting against each other en masse sounds very much like something Katze would want. It would be so typical of him to create suffering out of a desire to do good.

I'm not sure how this show is going to tie things up in just one more episode, but I feel confident that whatever happens next week, it will be amazing.

cajunator

Banned
As we enter the second round of Saimoe, the dust has cleared on the first day of battles and the dramatic results of the Ayase-Madoka-Homura match are...

Yes, PMMM fans couldn't decide on the right strategy and wound up with their worst-case scenario, neither magical girl winning and Homura paying the ultimate price, getting knocked out of the tournament early again. She'll get one more chance next year thanks to the third movie, and hopefully the bracket draw won't screw her over three times in a row...

In good news for the series, though, former champion Mami cleans up easily elsewhere.

I think what really happened was that they just were up against Ayase and she murdered both of them.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Mystical Laws

Somehow this movie was enhanced not just by prior viewing of other Happy Science films like The Laws of the Sun, but also titles like Bagi, Kenya Boy, Kingdom, Avatar, GITS, and even Sailor Moon. In other words, this was really anime.

Also, Tom Bucks for President.

EDIT: The dub was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom