• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

AoT has ONE action scene, they just repeat many times in different episodes. SAO is the same, I guess; once you've seen one weightless Kirito slash, you've seen them all.

Holy shit it's true!

Holy shit everything is explained. It even explains why the cg backgrounds look so damn terrible. It all makes so much sense now.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look through them, save the titles, and give them all a look.

Flowers of Evil - Episode 8

OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. That episode almost killed me. I refused to press pause to catch my breath because I felt it would destroy the power of the episode. By the end, I was shaking, felt faint, and my heart was pounding. I think this episode very nearly made me dead. What the hell is going to HAPPEN NOW?

Articalys

Gatchaman Crowds 11

When did Katze have time to switch places with the Prime Minister?

Seems like they'll have to cover a lot in the last episode but it should be interesting. At any rate, Katze is the best Miyano role this season.

Gatchaman Crowds 11

I liked the flashback. I like seeing the growth of the characters due to Hajime's influence.

The second half was pretty fun too. Mamoru Miyano never disappoints in this show.

CorvoSol

Victory Gundam 25

I suppose I can't say "Nothing" happened this time, as there was a fair amount of plot progression. The League Militaire was defeated by the Zanscare, who now possess almost all of Side 2 (making them pathetically small when it comes to the grand scheme of things, which makes the Federation hilariously lazy for not fighting them.), Marbet lost her marbles and decided "we have to go back." Uso got socked in the face and I finally realized that he isn't going to worry about that because whenever someone punishes Uso a hot woman in a tight space suit comes and shoves his face in their tits or pats his ass or something. The point is Uso's negative behavior is positively reinforced by the Shrike Team, who continue to die in droves.

Oh, and Jin Gehenam is not the REAL Jin Gehenam, who I suppose will be as scary as his descendant was. Also I would like to continue to contest that in a long line of terrible Spacer rulers, the Zanscare Queen is without a doubt the worst. I mean, at times it seemed very clear that Degwin Zabi knew what he was doing, and when he was wrong, but he was also not good at knowing who to trust. Ghiren was nuuuuuts. Hahaha who cares about Stardust Memory. Haman Khan was brilliant, but she sorta bet it all on conquering the Earth there, and kinda should've taken the time to seduce Glemy as thoroughly as she had Mashmyre, but she spent too much time on Judau. Char put Quess in his army. I mean he should've just surrendered then and there. Cosmo Babylonia is meh. Crux was awesome crazy and also sort of less concerned with ruling so much as total annihilation. This bitch is trying to be all motherly like she's Dianna Soreil or something except her people USE A GUILLOTINE and are basically space barbarians.

e: You'd have much better luck with manga too as there's a treasure trove of stuff. Also Hosanna's post below touches upon some great recent stuff too.

I've read a LOT of horror manga. I find myself generally more satisfied with most of the ones I've read than a lot of horror anime I see. Fourteen kept me entertained for weeks.

catch up anime time.

servant service 10

sister freaking out about bunny kacho was great.

... shit its late. i guess catch up on anime a later time.

toodaloo~

Cwarrior

AoT has ONE action scene, they just repeat many times in different episodes. SAO is the same, I guess; once you've seen one weightless Kirito slash, you've seen them all.

Do you really believe the stuff you say?

The next OP is my favorite. Then the music keeps being great, honestly I think it has better music and OPs then bleach.

I can't think of a shounen with weaker music/ost & use of music(I mean ost not op music) then gintama and I've seen a lot of shounen in my time, definitely doesn't touch bleach or any of the popular ones, the first op of gintama is awesome though but who cares, it's the in show soundtrack that matters.

Branduil

I think the black-and-white nature of manga lends itself better to horror than anime typically does. Manga can also much better reflect the idiosyncrasies of a single author and artist; the effect is often diluted in anime because it's such a collaborative effort. That's not to say you can't make a good horror anime, of course, it's just that you have a lot going against you. Manga is a more suggestive media than anime, lacking sound and movement, and stimulating imagination by suggesting rather than outright depicting is one of the more powerful tools of horror.

Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You 06

g6omYYWl.jpg

I like the story introducing Nagi's parents. Having Sugita be the dad adds to the experience.

I mean this whole arc introducing Nagi's parents would be pretty interesting if Nagi wasn't actually around.

Gintama's OPs and EDs are pretty bad. I did like the metal stuff they had during the Benizakura arc. Most long-running shonen has horrible, overused music though.

Poor usage of music is probably my biggest complaint about anime in general though. I hate how so many comedies feel the need to underline their jokes with a theme that tells you just how WACKY they're being.

Monogatari series only has ONE scene, they just repeat it for different episodes.

Geh, tomorrow marks the end of Kiniro Mosiac.

At least it won't feel stretched out for the sake of justifying a 13th episode.

Poor usage of music is probably my biggest complaint about anime in general though.

I don't think music is handled noticeably poorer than any other aspect of anime productions on average. Some anime use it really well (Flowers of Evil), some use it really poorly (Hyouge Mono), and in many it's just kind of there.

cajunator

Banned
I think the black-and-white nature of manga lends itself better to horror than anime typically does. Manga can also much better reflect the idiosyncrasies of a single author and artist; the effect is often diluted in anime because it's such a collaborative effort. That's not to say you can't make a good horror anime, of course, it's just that you have a lot going against you. Manga is a more suggestive media than anime, lacking sound and movement, and stimulating imagination by suggesting rather than outright depicting is one of the more powerful tools of horror.

I think of one specific manga, The Enigma of Amigara Fault. that is one creepy ass story.

The Love Lab OP as covered by the different characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROZ5ereaCY&list=PLOyiT-a52ufaVjZX7XUUKnY0wI7GdteCi&index=1

Eno = hnnnngggggg

Thanks for this. Suzu sounds really lovely. Eno is probably the cutest yeah.

Cwarrior

Gintama's OPs and EDs are pretty bad. I did like the metal stuff they had during the Benizakura arc. Most long-running shonen has horrible, overused music though.

Poor usage of music is probably my biggest complaint about anime in general though. I hate how so many comedies feel the need to underline their jokes with a theme that tells you just how WACKY they're being.

Hey one the characters is going to tell you about his supposedly sad back story play this Track before even opens his mouth what bad timing har har, hey one of the character is reminiscing about old times play that Track again, hey gintoki has completed his errand time to have a heartwarming moment time play that Track again for like the 3rd time in the same episode.

The timing is what makes it ridiculous, you can pretty much predict/expect what going to happen next based on what music there playing, lazying about comedy talking
then active comedy music before the joke takes place.

It really stands out to me since I feel the audio part of the experience is very important and adds a lot to the medium, it just seems to me that the person in charge audio just doesn't care.

I don't think music is handled noticeably poorer than any other aspect of anime productions on average. Some anime use it really well (Flowers of Evil), some use it really poorly (Hyouge Mono), and in many it's just kind of there.

Yeah it bothers me more because sound design in audiovisual mediums is very important to me, so I notice when its done clumsily or unimaginatively. The music in the first episode of Flowers of Evil was really amazing in how carefully it was used to control the ebb and flow of the episode.

This is a fit description for almost every episode of Aku no Hana, just sayin'.

You just wait for episode fuckin' 10, man. It's perfect.

I'm up to 12 now. I think I finally get the point of the series, and I'm in love with it. Such brutal honesty in these characters.

Fourteen, while wonderful, is really more of a surreal comedy than horror, imo.

What other horror manga stuff have you read, though? I'm curious to get a read on your tastes, but I'm also always out for possible recommendations.

Mainly Junji Ito's works, but I also love Left Hand of God, Right Hand of the Devil, Homunculus, and Parasyte. There was another one I had planned to read soon, but I forgot the name of it. I remember it had an odd, surreal art style, and was considered to be a masterwork around here. I'm open to anything, though, although I tend to gravitate toward either realistic art styles or something with a more distinct art style, like Umezu's works. I'd go through VNs of Umineko or Higurashi or Saya no Uta and stuff like that, but the art definitely isn't the reason. Not that I consider it bad, just not stuff that stands out to me. I suppose I haven't read as much as I remembered, although I have grabbed a lot of titles from the hellyeahhorrormanaga tumblr, and I've gone through and looked at a few off and on. I've gone through more manga than anime in the genre, though. I've even gone through Ito's shorter stories. Had to. No one makes me shiver like he does.

Yeah it bothers me more because sound design in audiovisual mediums is very important to me, so I notice when its done clumsily or unimaginatively. The music in the first episode of Flowers of Evil was really amazing in how carefully it was used to control the ebb and flow of the episode.

I certainly sympathize, as music and sound is very important to me too. I'll always have great respect for works that pay close attention to their use, such as Wolf Children, Hyouka, Flowers of Evil, and Rozen Maiden, and they will stick in my mind for a long time. But as long as the music is competently composed and doesn't clash with the tone of the scene, I can tolerate the average use of it in something like, say, Love Lab.

Me and the Devil Blues?

Nah, although that looks great. The one I'm thinking of....gah....what WAS THAT. It was WAAAAAY more surreal. It was....gah......OH PANORAMA OF HELL. THAT WAS IT.

Also, I went back and looked at the original Flowers of Evil topic. Holy shit everyone hated it. WHY?

cajunator

Banned
Nah, although that looks great. The one I'm thinking of....gah....what WAS THAT. It was WAAAAAY more surreal. It was....gah......OH PANORAMA OF HELL. THAT WAS IT.

Also, I went back and looked at the original Flowers of Evil topic. Holy shit everyone hated it. WHY?

A lot of impressions of aku No Hana were kneejerk reactions of the first couple episodes and the rotoscoping artstyle. Later on it actually became quite a well respected series.

Jex

Spirited Away
This was a very pretty film. Even in terms of the CG, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that's seen howl's or one of Ghibli's Shorts that utilises it. While in part it was still noticeable. I wish other studios could integrate CG even half as elegantly into their works as Ghibli's done.
Moving on to the actual film it was certainly imaginative if nothing else. The faceless was the best character but the boiler operator and the bathmaid were pretty good too. Overall it was very reminiscent of Howl's and Mononoke too I'd say. More than older MIyazaki films. Surprisingly the flying was even a very tiny part of the film though it was still there.
I think I should rewatch it to appreciate some of its finer nuance though.

What a brutal put down.

wonzo

Banned
Ahh, I've been meaning to check that one out for a while now too.
There was a pretty large backlash at the rotoscoping at first (which the director & author were expecting) but those that stuck with it had a pretty favourable opinion of it by the end.

Erigu

There was a pretty large backlash at the rotoscoping at first (which the director & author were expecting) but those that stuck with it had a pretty favourable opinion of it by the end.
Also, there wasn't nearly enough Nakamura (or plot, but mostly Nakamura) in the first episode.

cajunator

Banned
RWBY 01

Ok this is not the prettiest show and its actually very very rudimentary, but it had some fun action and ideas and of course Red is cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute.
I may watch more of this later on when Im not so exhausted.

It sold like ten copies in JP so you should probably just read the manga, yeah.

And then be totally surprised when the second season comes out and stuns us all with its blinding brilliance. Yaaaay!!!!

No second season next year might be enough to get me to give up on the medium altogether out of pure disappointment. It would be a travesty.

I'd probably get over it, but it would suck.

wonzo

Banned
Has a second season of FoE been announced, or is one even possible now? Or should I just go read the manga and give up hope?
There was a listing on the site of one of the studio's involved in the production of it hinting at a second season but that's it. I'd still recommend checking out the manga though.

Also, there wasn't nearly enough Nakamura (or plot, but mostly Nakamura) in the first episode.
unfunf

sleepykyo

You mean one extended action sequence? In that case, I'd agree in regards to the female Titan arc.

SAO was pretty much the Kirito show while Eren is still the most important character in the series they give the respective Klein (Armin) and Asuna (Mikasa) something to do other than fawn over the MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom