• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

They should get Lindelof on that ASAP!
Lindelof writers better characters though.
I think the manga was called 2001 Nights (which I assume is a reference to the Arabian Nights thing), but the OVA itself is just called "TO". Someone smarter than me probably knows why they called it that though.
There's actually also a 1987 OVA adaptation of a different segment of the manga under the name 'Space Fantasia 2001 Nights' .

Shergal

[Attack on Titan] - 24

Holy Shit.

In some alternate universe where a technically competent studio filled with amazing animators managed by a solid production schedule produced Attack on Titan maybe every episode could bee this amazing. We don't live in that universe and so, most of the time, Attack on Titan is an averagely animated series filled with sills, repeated animations and dead time.

Sometimes, however, the series manages to break free of these limitations and look truly astounding. So far those episodes have been episode 7 and episode 17. I can now safely add episode 24 to that number because it's packed with frankly astounding action sequences and beautiful animation. If you're one of those people who only tunes into the show to see it at it's best make sure to watch this episode.

Even with some fairly dodgy pacing during the earlier part of the episode this is still one of the best in the whole series, which actually isn't saying much considering the quality of some of the other material.

Based Yokoyama. I hope he storyboards some for Kill la Kill.

Branduil

Hahahahahaha. I doubt the writer has even worked out whats in there yet.

I think Isayama actually does have the major plot points of the story planned out, he's just too fond of stringing things out, and the shounen format doesn't help in that regard. But some recent revelations in the story have at least made clear that he did have important storylines planned out and foreshadowed from the beginning.

LayLa

I think the manga was called 2001 Nights (which I assume is a reference to the Arabian Nights thing), but the OVA itself is just called "TO". Someone smarter than me probably knows why they called it that though.

Oh, and for Time Dilation goodness, of course there's also Gunbuster.

haha 2001 Nights is yet another manga i love, didn't know there was an anime version.
i recently marathoned Gunbuster & Diebuster back-to-back, yikes that was some serious aesthetic whiplash going from one to the other.

Majestic prince - 19

That's what happens , when you abuse of the death flags in a anime.

Still it was great episode , even if the outcomes was not what i personally wanted.

uhifCko.jpg

Highschool DxD New 11

Goddamn, Azazel is such a boss.

He's pretty much overtaken Xenovia as the best new character this season.

Articalys

Kiniro Mosaic 12

I'm convinced that
the musical was just Studio Gokumi going "fuck it, let's do something awesome" and actually managing to follow through on it
. I also liked the final scenes after that.

mhs004

I just want to say how much I love fist of the north star. I'm only on episode 18 but it's already my third favorite shonen behind HxH and One Piece.

cnet128

Banned
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 12 END

Oh look, a twist!
It wasn't Dee that was dead after all, it was Alis! I wonder why Dee was the one who didn't have a body in the real world, then. A sign of how she didn't want to truly leave the looping world, perhaps?

That scene at the beginning of the episode where Dee
made sure Ai and Alis were out of the way and then shot one of her classmates in order to force them all to face the truth
was pretty intense, and it was quite neat how it felt like the story was coming full circle, since
this arc started out with a scene of Alis shooting his own classmates

And then we have that ending, where
against all logic and even his own wishes, Ai still managed to bring Alis out of the collapsing world alive. How exactly that works, I'm not sure, and I suspect there will be complications and consequences, but it was a satisfying note on which to end the series.

I quite hope we get another season of this, though I'm not sure how likely that is. The internet tells me the anime covered up to the end of the fifth novel out of a current eight. Although looking at the descriptions and reviews of each novel on Amazon JP, I get the impression the anime skipped over much of book 4, and possibly simplified book 3 as well (these being the material covered in episodes 7-9, which covered two books in three episodes as opposed to the rest of the series' pace of three episodes for each book).

...Maybe I should check out the novels at some point.

Midonin

Doki Doki! Precure 33

Alice's dad is pretty cool. He made his house into something with enough secret passages to make the Marauder's Map be necessary. Having an episode spent almost entirely in flashbacks was a nice change of pace. Alice, Rikka and Mana's friendship hasn't really been elaborated on since earlier in the series, taking a backseat to Makopi/Regina/Augri in the meantime. This episode made up for that in spades. (That pun would've worked better if it was a Makopi focus. But what can you do?)

The flashbacks were as adorable as anything you'd find in Kinmosa. (Which, come to think of it, also has an Alice. And the other Alice this season can also generate shields. Too much overlap!) Mana's been the same hotheaded kid ever since she was young, what with going up against Alice's dad without even hesitating. Occupy Alice's bedroom!

And that fight. That awesome, awesome fight. I haven't been that entranced by a fight since Yayoi's Father's Day brawl in Smile. Shield shuriken! Shield stepping stones in mid-air combat! HELICOPTER SLAM. Sure, it ends with a balloon for Alice's special iPad attack (on that note, Young Rikka had an iPad with a map of Alice's house. Crazy, you kids.), but that does not take away from the badassery of what Alice just accomplished. Her shieldcrafting is getting to be on par with Itsuki and Komachi's.

Next week: Rikka and babysitting. Because Ai is still here.

Metrotab

Banned
AIR - 11

An episode of redemption. Finding what was lost. Simply beautiful.

The scene where aunt and father were arguing was very uncomfortable to watch. Good directing, as I presume that was the intention.

Since this is KEY however, I'm fully on guard for "one last thing" to stand in the way of a happy end.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Milky Holmes 11

Classic Milky Holmes characters everywhere! G4! Kaitou Teikoku! And of course, the real Milky Holmes!

There were a lot of fun things this episode, but clearly the best part was Kazumi and Alice in bed together at the beginning. Mmmmmmmmyes. Those two make such a sweet couple. Doujins when.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 24: Yea, not hard to see where the animation budget for this series went, not hard at all.
At long last, we truly and with certainty learned that the Female Titan is Annie. Mikasa was not wrong, it was her face and that nose that really gave her away. Also, this episode should also be called Eren is in spite of all of the hullabaloo about his Titan Factor is god damned useless in a fight and should have been left to die. Seriously, there are like a dozen or so characters that would have made for a better lead then this dipshit. Anyway, after some performance anxiety hits Eren which allows the likes of Armin, Jean, Mikasa, Hadji, Levi and Erwin shine so much brighter then him, he finally transforms and brgins his MMA rematch with Annie that is leaving quite a mess. Indeed, I am looking forward to the finale of season one, because you can't tell me that this isn't getting another season. If fucking Phi Brain can get three seasons, this can get another season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think Isayama actually does have the major plot points of the story planned out, he's just too fond of stringing things out, and the shounen format doesn't help in that regard. But some recent revelations in the story have at least made clear that he did have important storylines planned out and foreshadowed from the beginning.
A little more BSG than B5!
Lindelof writers better characters though.
Nicki and Paolo?

There's actually also a 1987 OVA adaptation of a different segment of the manga under the name 'Space Fantasia 2001 Nights' .
Ah yes, I remember that but never did track it down.

haha 2001 Nights is yet another manga i love, didn't know there was an anime version.
i recently marathoned Gunbuster & Diebuster back-to-back, yikes that was some serious aesthetic whiplash going from one to the other.
Well, at this point, I think that's all of it. lol
On a random note, Yamato 2199 has nothing to do with hard SF, but it's the best SF series to air in probably the last 5 years.

Naruto+Shippuden+Episode+331+Subtitle+Indonesia.png

Naruto Shippuden 331

Could do without the unnecessary flashbacks.

Next episode will hopefully bring back the excitement with Madara vs the 5 Kages.

Started watching Attack on Titan last night, and now I'm up to episode 16. I'm not sure this show is for me, though. The animation and art style, with some exceptions, is just ugly most of the time. If only this show could have gotten the beautiful and consistent animation of something like Fullmetal Alchemist '04 or IG's GITS. IT'S PRODUCTION I.G., RIGHT?

I can't stand these stills. I can't take it. I might just go watch Dragonball for the first time instead, or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or something.

cnet128

Banned
Kin'iro Mosaic 12 END

Best final episode ever? Best final episode ever.

I love these characters too much to let them go. SECOND SEASON WHEN.

Started watching Attack on Titan last night, and now I'm up to episode 16. I'm not sure this show is for me, though. The animation and art style, with some exceptions, is just ugly most of the time. If only this show could have gotten the beautiful and consistent animation of something like Fullmetal Alchemist '04 or IG's GITS. IT'S PRODUCTION I.G., RIGHT?

I can't stand these stills. I can't take it. I might just go watch Dragonball for the first time instead, or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or something.

If you don't like it by 16, don't continue.

Though I can't imagine long running shows are a good option either if you're that averse to stills.

If you don't like it by 16, don't continue.

Though I can't imagine long running shows are a good option either if you're that averse to stills.

There are more merits to DB/DBZ and Galactic Heroes for me that overlook stills and limited animation.

Plus, I've seen some beautiful animation shown from both shows.

I might stop the anime and continue AoT from the manga, which actually has great art that reminds me of Edward Gorey.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 15

These action sequences just keeping looking fantastic. The story and characters interactions can be kinda hit and miss at times, so the longer they stay in combat the better for me.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 16

Slow episode, but at least it looks like the next episode should be very heavy on the action, or so I hope. Also, there's some really dumb dialogue sprinkled throughout this series, and even more so in this episode.

Syrinx

Love Lab 7

Riko's younger brother has a crush on Maki now. He's sad she doesn't like elementary schoolers, but it's really better for him this way. If they dated, he'd see how fucking nuts she is. He's better with his delusion of who Maki is. Speaking of how fucking nuts she is, the tongue and touch thing. I'd be scared shitless if I saw someone acting like that. Girl's psychotic. That's why she's good though.

Oh and that guy Riko knew way back may have a crush on Riko. Or he may be interested in Maki. Better for his sake if it's Riko.

Love Lab 7

Riko's younger brother has a crush on Maki now. He's sad she doesn't like elementary schoolers, but it's really better for him this way. If they dated, he'd see how fucking nuts she is. He's better with his delusion of who Maki is. Speaking of how fucking nuts she is, the tongue and touch thing. I'd be scared shitless if I saw someone acting like that. Girl's psychotic. That's why she's good though.

Oh and that guy Riko knew way back may have a crush on Riko. Or he may be interested in Maki. Better for his sake if it's Riko.

Riko is too physical though... then again, he became more physical I guess.

Quasar

Railgun S2 23 - the big setup for the final battle episode. Given the scope of this and the shared universe nature of the show, its kind of a bit jarring for Mikoto to not even inform Touma about the whole thing. Of course with that comes finding a narrative way for him to not take a major role in the whole thing. Or is this happening parallel to a Index story with him far away from Academy City?

Defuser

Railgun S2 23 - the big setup for the final battle episode. Given the scope of this and the shared universe nature of the show, its kind of a bit jarring for Mikoto to not even inform Touma about the whole thing. Of course with that comes finding a narrative way for him to not take a major role in the whole thing. Or is this happening parallel to a Index story with him far away from Academy City?
Pretty sure this take place during the angel fall arc where Touma goes to the sea after the sister's arc.

Lain

Gatchaman Crowds 11

The speeches at the start weren't bad, but that ate half episode and it pisses me off. Just as things are getting hot, the other half of the episode reaches its end.

One Piece 604 - 612

Decided to give it another go. It had its moments like when Luffy v Monet, and Luffy v Caesar, but otherwise some stuff felt too long (they really needed ten minutes to fight a green dragon? Luffy in the hole for three episodes now?!)...Kind of ready for this arc to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom