• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Frightening.

Tknwvy8.png
the results of incest made abundantly clearer

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Aiming to try to get through Ep. 8 tonight. Maybe.

Valvrave the Liberator 6

This girl has some deep-seated issues. She's fucking nuts.

So that's pact with the devil #2. Haruto traded his soul to save and avenge the ones he loved. Saki traded hers for fame, in that oh so familiar story. Who ever is next, I wonder what they will trade for? Money by perhaps becoming a merc with their? Just do it for the immortality?

Yeah, ERUERUFF brings up a good point. Plus, what's with all the famous people here as students? The Daughter of JIOR's President and Pop Star for starters. It could also be that some of the students are called for their latent prowess, like the technician kid, the hacker, and the student council members. That kinda calls into question just who Haruto or why he was let it, if that's indeed the case.

cajunator

Banned
No worries. I was just sharing how I felt about it. It certainly ranks, for me, higher than the other series you listed (though I like those as well). The slice-of-life genre is the anthysises to what a strong narrative experience is but I find them so powerful because it has the power, if good, to slow down the viewers expectation and get you in a mood that is just sublime.

It's also a genre that the slow but lovable female character can thrive, the hyper athletic idiot girl can brighten, the nurturing and ambivalent older sister type can play the leading back-drop character and the often shy and over dependent sweet girl never wants for love. There's so many strong ingredients that are simmered to perfection in the shows because they take their time that they always seem to leave a lasting impression on me. I wish more of them were as popular as K-On but I'm just happy that they exist.

If you don't mind me asking, how do feel about the Hidamari Sketch series?

Hidamari is one of the greatest feelgood series that there is.
Also I fully agree about slice of life shows and my love of them began with Azumanga Daioh when it first aired. I still have the original DVDs with the joke booklets and cloisonne pins.

Stratos 4 is hard SF inasmuch as it does the whole ballistic interception thing well.
TO had that time dilation story in the first episode.

Oh my. Stratos 4...well its..kinda hard sci fi and then
ALIEN LESBIANISM DISEASE!

cajunator

Banned
So the following happened.

Awesome! I wish I could meet gaffers :(
Some are right over in Texas but Texas is so big!

Dual! Parallel Troubles 1

So this is supposed to be something like "Tenchi Muyo . . . With Mechs!" and so far, it feels like it is going to deliver. I enjoyed the comedy at the show's beginning, and the overall light-hearted feeling. I especially liked that it didn't bother to care about explaining its science in any big way. The English dub isn't half bad, to boot. The main mech, Heart Zenan, resembles the ARX-8 Laevatein to a degree where I feel compelled to consider there being some connection there. Hopefully this show remains the breather I need from Victory Gundam.

This show Ive been meaning to rewatch forever. Regret never buying the discs but Im sure they are relatively easy to find and purchase.

Frightening.

NO

KILL IT WITH FIRE. NAPALM ACTUALLY.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Valvrave the Liberator 7

...okay? What exactly was that intro?

lol Haruto the perfect meat-shield

Between this show and Majestic Prince I'm getting kinda sick and tired of short, genki, psychopath villain pilots. So annoying. Someone please kill them.

cajunator

Banned
Truly this is a frightening world we live in

edit:

;_; Why? Why God?

It?

clown weirdo[/IMG]

I'm now imaging under those gloves are claws designed for ripping out eyes and feasting on them.

This never bothered me. . But I dont have a clown phobia.

Squid Girl Season 1 GET

I've never seen Squid Girl. I heard it was good. I decided to marathon the first season today. The conclusion?

Its so good. You will watch season two then realize Mediablasters canceled the US release then you will weep bitterly.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Last one for me tonight.

Valvrave the Liberator 8

How do these students have ERUERUFFFF restrained better than the ARUS soldiers? Whoops, never mind.

Well Haruto, there's your second deal. You're probably a cat because you must have a ton of lives to just trade.

Oh that tattoo is not a good thing. So is he a vampire-thing too?

Jarmel

Banned
Shingeki 24-
ibsSGhvnpQ2RHt.gif

This was a great episode for one major reason. They actually gave a shit about the physics of the Maneuver Gear and trying to show the wires and movements properly. Half of this episode was sakuga especially Mikasa coming out of the tunnel.

It's really a fucking shame the rest of the show couldn't look like this.

Soma

Love Lab Ep. 12

ibvHdFxyTEz4Rg.gif

That animation bump.

Anyways, it's good to finally see Riko wanting to fess up to Maki about everything and with the show coming to close it'll be nice to have some 'closure' in that department if it's handled well for the final episode. I don't think I'd mind seeing a second season of this though.

Also, Maki deserves better than Yan. :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's really a fucking shame the rest of the show couldn't look like this.
I'm pretty sure I saw those two repeated buildings that make up a city in the episodes I watched. It looks more similar than you think!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Japanese history question

Lots of anime when making reference to the word "clown" use the French (I think) word to do so. Did the concept of a clown or jester exist before Japan was exposed to Western culture?

The reason I ask is just to suss out references during period specific stories what would be considered proper terminology.

I just can't stop looking at this.

It looks so awkward and yet it fits the scenario well.

LOL... she runs like a Titan :)

Lots of anime when making reference to the word "clown" use the French (I think) word to do so. Did the concept of a clown or jester exist before Japan was exposed to Western culture?

The reason I ask is just to suss out references during period specific stories what would be considered proper terminology.

LOL... she runs like a Titan :)

Here in Korea they use the word Pierrot as well. Must just be what they have come to associate with the word clown as we would know it.

BluWacky

Lots of anime when making reference to the word "clown" use the French (I think) word to do so.

I assume you're thinking of the word "pierrot", which you're right is used all the time. The tendency in anime is to use the stock image of the Harlequin-style clown from Commedia Dell'Arte (think Kefka in FFVI) which is why it's used so often.

Did the concept of a clown or jester exist before Japan was exposed to Western culture?

I Am Not A Japanese Historian, and so can only speak from a quick Google, but although clowns and jesters are pretty much a Western thing there were certainly manzai comedians who fulfilled a similar function to a court jester as far back as the Heian period (800-1200 AD or so).

I suppose there's also the doukegata character in kabuki, who looks very similar to a clown on occasion, but I have no idea from whence said character came.

Love Lab Ep. 12

ibvHdFxyTEz4Rg.gif

That animation bump.

Anyways, it's good to finally see Riko wanting to fess up to Maki about everything and with the show coming to close it'll be nice to have some 'closure' in that department if it's handled well for the final episode. I don't think I'd mind seeing a second season of this though.

Also, Maki deserves better than Yan. :(

I thought that was done on purpose to take the mick out of the girls in anime that run like this:

tumblr_m6tbao3sii1qbvovho1_500.gif

No one runs like that. It looks so stupid.
This is how you run:

tumblr_moeab2uYdK1rwii9to1_500.gif

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Here in Korea they use the word Pierrot as well. Must just be what they have come to associate with the word clown as we would know it.

I assume you're thinking of the word "pierrot", which you're right is used all the time. The tendency in anime is to use the stock image of the Harlequin-style clown from Commedia Dell'Arte (think Kefka in FFVI) which is why it's used so often.

I Am Not A Japanese Historian, and so can only speak from a quick Google, but although clowns and jesters are pretty much a Western thing there were certainly manzai comedians who fulfilled a similar function to a court jester as far back as the Heian period (800-1200 AD or so).

I suppose there's also the doukegata character in kabuki, who looks very similar to a clown on occasion, but I have no idea from whence said character came.

The closest reference I can think of are from Japanese mythology in deities like the fox spirit but that seems more like a stretch to me since I can't remember anyone ever mincing the two concepts; they've always been clearly separated. I suppose it could be a role that's unique to western culture but it bugs me when the word shows up in unexpected places. It's like someone using the word "computer" during high-fantasy to reference how someone is processing information like a machine which are is simply breaking some kind of suspension of disbelief.

wonzo

Banned
Love Lab 12

lovelab12.jpg

This was a pretty good episode thanks to the huge animation quality bump and the rather well-handled way they dealt with this stuff. Hopefully they can end the final episode on a similar note.

Quasar

A Town Where You Live 11 - I suppose I should not have been surprised/shocked by the end, but I was.Continue to enjoy this. Really wish it wasn't stopping at 12.

wonzo

Banned
Recorder and Randoseru Mi 11

recordermi11.jpg

Y'know, my only real issue with the first run of this was just how painfully unfunny it was. It wasn't until this creepy ass motherfucker arrived that the really messed up aspect of this shit was put on full blast to the point where no amount of facepalming could wash away the wrongness of it all.

And yet I keep on watching, if only for the ED sequences (which alone are better than the entire first run of this…)

Senyuu 25

I wonder if the next episode will also be the last one. A shame if it is as this has been really picking up lately.

Kuromajo 38

Granny's, winning the fight against childhood obesity.

Love Lab 12

lovelab12.jpg

This was a pretty good episode thanks to the huge animation quality bump and the rather well-handled way they dealt with this stuff. Hopefully they can end the final episode on a similar note.

I was worried about how they'd deal with the "revelation" as well, but they didn't do too bad. And this show needs more Jan, he's the 3rd best character.

duckroll

Big Bushiroad anime site update: http://bushiroad-anime.com/

It's no longer airing in Fall, but delayed to Winter instead. But they did announce the cast and the renew the site. The main cast is made up of KENN, Megumi Han, and Solid Snake. Also of interest is that they credit the Animation Production to both Kinema Citrus and Orange. Which means CG mecha... but awesome CG mecha! :)

Can't wait to see what Orange does with these designs in motion:

It's no longer airing in Fall, but delayed to Winter instead. But they did announce the cast and the renew the site. The main cast is made up of KENN, Megumi Han, and Solid Snake. Also of interest is that they credit the Animation Production to both Kinema Citrus and Orange. Which means CG mecha... but awesome CG mecha! :)

Oh yes Kenn, use futo asahina or shoyo hinata voice.

wonzo

Banned

SAKUGA WINTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom