• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

iSCrZc5iykAmT.png
Representing

Tenumi

Banned
I don't like when I have faces attached to AnimeGaf members. I like to imagine you guys as floating avatars running around in cyber space. Ruins the illusion. You're a talking raven, Corvo!

Now I'm imagining myself as an alien setting up a harem full of everybody from AnimeGaf. Problem is, who's the Yuuki Rito....

Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 17

Character Development episodes ahoy!

Acosta

Between the crown and that... thing.. dresden posted I don't think I can sleep anymore, awesome, I will catch up in some stuff.

I had this project of watching Marinaford Arc of One Piece, I read the manga and loved it of course, but I always thought that, if they did it in a right way, I would have enjoyed it more in anime. And now I'm watching, I was right! It´s phenomenal, really intense, with great fights, awesome music, emotive, great humour some times... it even has great pace (or it looks that way to me, the last arc of One Piece looks incredibly slow in comparison).

The sad thing is that I know how it ends, I would have been way more impacted if I had seen it first in anime for sure. Anyway, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Hunter x Hunter 97

I enjoyed last two episodes with the phantom troupe,
it was nice to see them fight using their abilities for first time. The last fight was great.
It has been a good entertainment until the real action.

Theonik

Panda Kopanda
iYyZYfoCRU2P5.png

Voiced by Lupin III
So this is one Miyazaki's and Takahata's earlier collaborations, being 2 films in 1972 and 1973, it's mostly pretty cute and an at least serviceable work though I didn't feel it was exactly essential viewing or anything like that. Plenty of :kirbyguy too. The MC was a pretty lewd girl and some moments had me just shaking my head. Miyazaki teaching kids bestiality.
Certainly a product of its time. You don't see this sort of thing in anime anymore. What happened Japan?
The themesong was grating btw and will be stuck in my head for days. RIP me.
I also felt the first movie was much better than the second. Second one didn't really feel necessary and felt like padding.

Hunter x Hunter 97
tumblr_mtim0rz0AD1qi0f9no1_r1_500.gif

Feitan was simply amazing and ought to sport that style more often. It made the ending moments even more special considering we could see his face now
such a good smile and silly looking laugh, I laughed hard
. Otherwise I think he wins for best fight this arc.
Rising Sun armor and then attack was amazing, it scorched all. I wonder how it was possible as it didnt get much explanation

Acosta

Feitan was simply amazing and ought to sport that style more often. It made the ending moments even more special considering we could see his face now
such a good smile and silly looking laugh, I laughed hard
. Otherwise I think he wins for best fight this arc.
Rising Sun armor and then attack was amazing, it scorched all. I wonder how it was possible as it didnt get much explanation

Yeah!

They said "that his power increased the angrier he was" and he mentioned that he can give back the pain someone has inflicted and that "if she had done more damage, she could have died faster", so I guess it works in that way.

The "Shizuku in underwear" fight was soooo gratuitous, but I won't complain ^_^ (and double glad she killed in such a gross way that spider guy, he annoyed me to no end).

I was glad to see Kalluto scared, I didn't like the idea she was a child so powerful that he was in equal term with the Phantom Troupe, when Killua couldn't rise a finger against them.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
This series is pretty damn good. Despite the
cheap-out ending
, the series really pulled at my heart. Aside from Ai, every character was pretty great

CorvoSol

Big Bushiroad anime site update: http://bushiroad-anime.com/

It's no longer airing in Fall, but delayed to Winter instead. But they did announce the cast and the renew the site. The main cast is made up of KENN, Megumi Han, and Solid Snake. Also of interest is that they credit the Animation Production to both Kinema Citrus and Orange. Which means CG mecha... but awesome CG mecha! :)

Can't wait to see what Orange does with these designs in motion:

That first mech has pants on. Not really sure I've ever seen a mech wearing pants before.

cajunator

Banned
Love Lab Ep. 12

ibvHdFxyTEz4Rg.gif

That animation bump.

Anyways, it's good to finally see Riko wanting to fess up to Maki about everything and with the show coming to close it'll be nice to have some 'closure' in that department if it's handled well for the final episode. I don't think I'd mind seeing a second season of this though.

Also, Maki deserves better than Yan. :(

Her running is so dopey...like mine lol.

I thought that was done on purpose to take the mick out of the girls in anime that run like this:

tumblr_m6tbao3sii1qbvovho1_500.gif

No one runs like that. It looks so stupid.
This is how you run:

tumblr_moeab2uYdK1rwii9to1_500.gif

Funnily enough I remember in the 80s a movie called Animalympics (which is really fucking awesome BTW) where the characters ran like that too. Its been going on for decades. Im really not sure why either.
Also, Rea looks soooo adorable right there.

cajunator

Banned
Big Bushiroad anime site update: http://bushiroad-anime.com/

It's no longer airing in Fall, but delayed to Winter instead. But they did announce the cast and the renew the site. The main cast is made up of KENN, Megumi Han, and Solid Snake. Also of interest is that they credit the Animation Production to both Kinema Citrus and Orange. Which means CG mecha... but awesome CG mecha! :)

Can't wait to see what Orange does with these designs in motion:

Ok Im interested in this. I see cute and a samurai helmet beetle mech.

lolwat(I mean that PV)

Official Girls und Panzer+World of Tanks PV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVCE4MQNh1A&feature=youtube_gdata

This has potential but without cute little heads sticking out it kinda loses its charm.

Idolm@ster movie trailer

Disappointing lack of yakuza and/or giant robots.

I see Takane and wet Makoto. I approve!

Everything is alright It has the girl i'm intrested in:

Enjoying her food , like a godess.

See this guy fucking knows!

LordCanti

Uchouten Kazoku 12

There's no way there is enough time to properly explain any of the events that occurred
before the start of the anime (except for the one that has already been explained). That kind of bums me out, but I hope that the conclusion explains at least a little bit of it.
I hope the novel gets translated at some point so that the blanks can be filled in.

This episode was great, but the huge and obvious spoiler in the promos for it kind of dulled the surprise and eliminated any sort of suspense. I get the feeling that Jurojin is
playing a trick on them, the way that their father played a trick on the Tengu
but I'm not sure if Benten is
in on it or not yet.
I've wanted some sort of explanation or justification for her actions for the
past 12 episodes, but I don't know if we're going to get it.
This show seems more caught up on the election than that, which kind of sucks as the election is secondary to what I actually care about in this show
which is her past and Yasaten in general.

Again though, this was a fantastic episode from start to finish, and this show is the best thing currently airing.

I thought it was similar. They'd be based again if they could just consistently put out one episode a week.

R.I.P

Monogatari 12

Really liked how some parts of the new op are basically like reversed/dark versions of bakemono's nadeko op, the new ending was nice too.

The intro scene looked really amazing, been a while since
Araragi was last beaten into a bloody pulp
. The scene with
Oshino Ougi was really good too, it's amazing how creepy Shaft has managed to make her look

Shaft continues to deliver with this, though they can fuck off with the recap episodes now please!

Tenumi

Banned
Kiniro Mosaic: 12 (END)

Probably the most adorable series of the season comes to an end. Its charm made it enjoyable to watch every week. Though to me, it isn't a keeper, it was well worth the time put in watching it.

Plus, now I want a musical anime.... Full on, every episode, singing, the works.

Jex

[Monogatari S2] - 12

I just wanted to say that the scoring of a number of these scenes was truly awful. As in, some of the worst musical direction that I've heard in any anime ever. It's almost like they were using placeholder music except that I imagine no such thing exists. The music neither fitted the tone of the scene, the length of the scene, the pacing of the scene - it appeared to come from a completely different series. Just bizarre.

Makai Ouji: Devils And Realist 12 [End] Pillar 12 - Realist but Romanticist
tumblr_mtjffh4RN71se99ano1_500.png

Excellent ending episode, Solomon, like last episode easily earned his place among the most powerful characters in anime in 2013. Dantalion made great moments too and had good backstory
glad he was there with William Twining through the end to bring him back to us after earning Solomon's approval
. Beautiful end.

Will definitely get the manga when Seven Seas releases it starting next year. For the anime will fervently pray that it gets licensed by some company here so I can relieve it. So far for 2013, Id have it in my top 5 best ones. (Free!, Makai Ouji, Karneval, Hakkenden) 10.

Believe my Dice and Shadows Love Song were good songs.

Well, it would help to see an example where the music was completly off.

But if everything was bad, not just the music in the lastest episode, I guess it can't be helped.

/XX/

Who thought having a young mini-Hideaki Anno at home would be so expensive:

MEDICOM TOY - ダイコンフィルム版 帰ってきたウルトラマン
http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/list/8200.html

But what would you prefer; him at his fittest, handsomer peak... or this?

Yeah, I'm sure her Space Dandy episodes will be good, but especially considering the comedic tone of the series there's no way they'll match up to her past work.
Greatly valuing your words as I do, I can't avoid being confused by what I think you are trying to imply here. I'd certainly like to see you expand on this opinion, because I have the impression you are dismissing comedy as a lesser genre here. I think that the wit to write, the sharp tongue to interpret, the good timing necessary, anything to make for obtaining a heartfelt laugh or smile is both admirable, equally meritorious, and couldn't necessarily be confronted with punctual serious moments riveting what might be a work capable of anything until proved otherwise.

There is apparently another Ghibli movie opening in 2 months that is not Kaguya Hime... its Yume to Kyouki no Oukoku or "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" and it sounds like its a documentary on Ghibli.
I had read something about this, but I thought it would focus specifically on the production of the latest two features. Seems like it'll be more general then?
I decided to look it up and the news that came out around July about this was the director is an acclaimed newcomer named Sata Yumi and it details her shooting at Ghibli since last Fall. So I guess you're right that its gonna be from the perspective of the production of the 2 movies but its gonna probably be a "Jiro Love Sushi".-ish take on the studio.
Isn't the name Asami "Mami" Sunada?

Haven't seen such acclaimed previous documentary about her father, but according to opinions about it if the new work resembles that one this is going to be truly a poignant farewell!

From what I have researched the supernatural element is a Gainax invention as it does not exist in the manga.
All in the family, we could say, as this time's GAiNAX invention of an adaptation comes backed by the original creator as he, Yoshinori Asano, was already a member of their satellite studio to begin with... they covered their backs well this time!

I still can't process that Aoki Uru is a thing.
Sadly, not even a definitive thing yet. Pre-production and a pilot film coming sometime next year... all could fall apart again pretty quickly. :-/

Who is Conjo, and why is he meeting Pimpwerx?
Dear Pimpwerx, R.I.P. in peace...

PEACE.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kanamemo 4

The second musical episode I've seen in as many days. Pretty good, though not as good as Kiniro's. Also Haruka's creepiness is a little bit unsettling. Funny, but unsettling. Kinda like that feeling where you laugh at something but don't really know if you should be. But I guess I'll let it slide since she's voiced by Yui Horie.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The great delusions of the Sega Neptune 11

If it wasn't obvious before that this is all a dream from a dead system before it was snuffed it's now dreaming that
Atari will one day be relevant again

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Valvrave the Liberator 9

This show is trying to speak on the impersonal nature of a connected, cyber-based culture almost ad nauseum. We get it; Facebook = bad, mkay?

So one sold his soul for his loved ones, one sold her soul for fame, number 3 sold his soul for himself, and the fourth for his pride. Looks like we probably one more to fill. My money is on Shouko.

I don't feel like there have really been that many twists though. Like, I haven't been knocked out of my seat like Geass did.

Tenumi

Banned
The great delusions of the Sega Neptune 11

If it wasn't obvious before that this is all a dream from a dead system before it was snuffed it's now dreaming that
Atari will one day be relevant again

Wow... I watched it a couple hours ago and that went completely over my head.
But totally hilarious, anyway.

Jex

Valvrave the Liberator 9

I don't feel like there have really been that many twists though. Like, I haven't been knocked out of my seat like Geass did.
I don't know, so far you've had:

Main character killed and then resurrected by mecha vampire thing

Main character gains ability to switch bodies

BURNING FINGER

Main characters school splits off from colony and forms it's own independent nation

Antagonist and protagonist ally (even though this happens all the god damn time it's still technically a twist)

200 years in the future flash forward

SINGING

Valvrave actually being a good show

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I don't know, so far you've had:

Main character killed and then resurrected by mecha vampire thing

Main character gains ability to switch bodies

BURNING FINGER

Main characters school splits off from colony and forms it's own independent nation

Antagonist and protagonist ally (even though this happens all the god damn time it's still technically a twist)

200 years in the future flash forward

SINGING

Valvrave actually being a good show

True but I don't feel like those have really had that "holy shit what" factor for me yet, especially when I've been told that this show is for all intents and purposes an spiritual successor to Geass and I've yet to really have the kind of shocking Geass-esque reaction to the twists. Yeah they're (mostly) twists in the dictionary sense of the word but I've just not had that surprise value outside of the first/second episode
vampire and body switch
twists. A lot of the things in the show seem more like developments rather than twists proper to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom