• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makai Ouji - Devils and Realist 12

ObwmTZSl.jpg

I guess that was an ok way to end the show.

The flashback was pretty nice and I guess the ending was ok.

Forgot to toss in my final thoughts:

Average show. It had some really nice parts, the OP and ED are great, the supporting cast was pretty amusing and it had some really nice moments like the out of nowhere cooking battle.

Where it did terribly in is the main character. He had no growth, no development, no nothing. All he did was shut down anything he saw which while amusing to start with, got old way too fast.

BluWacky

Despite the sakuga, I can't get excited about Yozakura Quartet. It's just not a very interesting sounding show.

Ah, another non-descript JC Staff romance!

My First MMORPG Anime!

Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. (Yusibu): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTtxA-xECms

Ecchi harem fantasy, yawn.

Gatchaman Crowds 11

I didn't mind the first half being a recap, did a good job of showing the subtle character growth from episode 1 to present. Second half of the episode was great having the Prime Minster finally
man up and take on a leader role
. The action was great as well though the twist at the end is going to make the finale crazy.

New CMs/PVs:

Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcnoCPWR7c

Golden Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tcyonlZAM

Log Horizon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yVOmaezbLI

Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. (Yusibu): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTtxA-xECms

I'm growing on the faces for Yozakura Quartet but still don't really like them compared to the manga.

Still not feeling interested in Golden Time

Log Horizon looks more MMO than SAO. Also, pop up menu hell.

I honestly forgot that Yusibu is airing in the fall. I remember liking the first few chapters I read of the manga so interested in seeing it animated.

tumblr_mtjldce7Dv1qbxqfpo1_500.png

(only in 240p :( ) I think it would be in their best interest to keep showing all the menues and drop downs even in battle to make it continue to feel like an actual game. It gives it a somewhat unique touch and kind of a different feeling than its other comparable competitors. Unfortunately, I wonder if people will be able to try to see it for what it is and not compare it at every moment to SAO...

Tenumi

Banned
To LOVE-ru Darkness: 07

Ah, Sisterly love. Bonding and all that stuff. Also, very small plot movement. Very little fanservice, too, to be honest.

Death Note - Episode 1+2

My friend told me about this anime so I thought I'd give it a watch.

First off this Death notebook is quite interesting, and at least the protagonist is using it for the good. This L guy sounds like quite a character since he made Light
freak out

Attack on Titan 24

When they actually have a budget and want to they can truly make some incredible action episodes. Can't wait to see the season finale it's going to be a scream.

Shergal

True but I don't feel like those have really had that "holy shit what" factor for me yet, especially when I've been told that this show is for all intents and purposes an spiritual successor to Geass and I've yet to really have the kind of shocking Geass-esque reaction to the twists. Yeah they're (mostly) twists in the dictionary sense of the word but I've just not had that surprise value outside of the first/second episode
vampire and body switch
twists. A lot of the things in the show seem more like developments rather than twists proper to me.

It's not the same thing as Geass, I think. In VVV things happen and characters react at face value to them, and the appeal (to me, at least) is the comedic factor of their actions rather than being surprised by plot twists. VVV seems pretty content to be a comedy too.

Geass was much more theatrical and melodramatic starting with Lelouch. As such the plot twists played a large role in creating the exhilarating tone. Especially the ones having to do with strategy/clever tricks with the Geass.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Random thought/question. The current Space Brothers OP - longest time for the name of the show to sit on the screen in total? First time it's on screen for 8 seconds, second time roughly 19 seconds so in total 27 seconds which is exactly 30% of the 1:30 running time!

Articalys

In great shame to my current choice of avatar, I still haven't caught up with Monogatari. Did the recap episodes use any new voiceovers, or are they all old audio and video?

-Minsc-

Random thought/question. The current Space Brothers OP - longest time for the name of the show to sit on the screen in total? First time it's on screen for 8 seconds, second time roughly 19 seconds so in total 27 seconds which is exactly 30% of the 1:30 running time!

My thought when I first saw that opening was the animators decided to take it easy. The title certainly does stay up there for a long time.

Heartcatch Re-AirCure 5

Clearly Tsubomi is showing off why she's the protagonist for this series with that kind of bed hair, on top of perception on other peoples problems. What with Miura being upset that his dad plays idolm@sters instead of his work cares more about his ramen shop than supporting him with baseball. But he didn't exactly forget man.

Cobraja graces us with his flashy appearance, and made an example of how angst isn't a suitable power force for your MotW to run on, especially when said angst conflicts with each other. Oh well, at least Erika didn't make him feel like shit with unnecessary comments.

Soma

New CMs/PVs:

Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcnoCPWR7c
Still looks great. Still hyped!
Caught a few chapters of the manga and didn't seem half bad. I found the female lead to be kind of annoying... then I noticed that this is the same author of Toradora and then it all suddenly made sense!

Still though, the university setting is sort of refreshing in a sea of high-school romcoms so I'll probably give this a watch.
Doesn't look half bad either! I get more of .hack vibe than a SAO vibe from the PV.

Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. (Yu-sibu): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTtxA-xECms
All that :chet.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Another 9

What's the opposite of a deus ex machina? Where inexplicable events occur to keep the cast in danger rather than save them from it? Cause this show does it all the fucking time.

OOXCplo.gif

Pikachu OP nerf plz

Andrew J.

Porco Rosso

Seaplanes and air pirates! This tickled my Talespin nostalgia something fierce. A lot of animators seem to have some fondness for the culture and technology of the 20s and 30s; just look at Korra no Densetsu for another example.

Porco Rosso himself is unusual for a main character in a Miyazaki film, and I don't just mean because he's not a girl. (Although that was made up for by Fio...and Gina...and the entire extended Piccolo family.) I mean how he's very cynical and actively seeks detachment from the world, using his condition as an excuse to avoid engagement with people and events. Even Howl, who is sort of similar, is viewed mostly through someone else's perspective, but this movie sticks quite close to Porco.

Ghibli movies don't really have villains, is something I've noticed. There are certainly antagonists, and occasionally institutions which are unquestionably in the wrong, but rarely, if ever, are there individuals one can point and call evil. Like here,
the air pirates are all goofy and harmless, and even Curtis gets reconciled with Porco b the end, sort of.

I could go on forever describing how detailed and fluid the art and animation are, but this is a Ghibli movie and you probably already know.

hunter x hunter 97

Funny, i kinda expected them all to die. seems to be the general storyboard for every fight this arc lol.

So I guess the whole
tooth on the back of the spider who controls people is forgotten... for now?

Death Note - Episode 6

Looks like things are about to get serious from here on out. At first I liked Light but
after seeing him kill off FBI agents, and killing that FBI agent that was following him
. I don't like him that much anymore. I'm rooting for L now.

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova And Beyond 34

vzsunJL.gif

Even Dunsparce realized this episode was crap.

Dunsparce could fly!? Seeing him fly is kinda funny since he looks like the lazy type of Pokemon.

hunter x hunter 97

Funny, i kinda expected them all to die. seems to be the general storyboard for every fight this arc lol.

So I guess the whole
tooth on the back of the spider who controls people is forgotten... for now?

i don't understand your spoiler , what are you talking about ?
what tooth ?

Gintama Episode 26 – Don’t Be Shy – Just Raise Your Hand and Say It

Shin-chan's best episode! This Take-chin story of friendship, bonds, and their history was a good story with the present day gang story and race.

Devils and Realist 12 End

Well that was an awful ending, the first half of it was a flashback to Dantalion's time with Solomon which truly added nothing to the finale. The final "battle" itself was a joke and had virtually no ending it kind of just stopped. The angels didn't even bother to show up even they realized this ending wasn't worth it.

2.5/5 A very average show with some funny moments and decent battles but absolutely no pay off ending that gives me very little reason to want to watch an S2 if it ever happened.

cnet128

Banned
[Monogatari S2] - 12

I just wanted to say that the scoring of a number of these scenes was truly awful. As in, some of the worst musical direction that I've heard in any anime ever. It's almost like they were using placeholder music except that I imagine no such thing exists. The music neither fitted the tone of the scene, the length of the scene, the pacing of the scene - it appeared to come from a completely different series. Just bizarre.

You must never have seen the beginning of Magi Episode 19.

Uchouten kazoku - 12

"What is fun is good !"

Trully the best way to understand the mess the familly is in.

Now the finale seems superb with
3 time bombs in the same place
for an excentric finale.

Monogatari Series Second Season - 12

I like how they incorporated elements of Ren'ai Circulation and its respective OP animation into this new OP, then twist it around into something more sinister (I especially liked the synth at the end quoting a minor key version of the main instrumental theme from Ren'ai Circulation). I don't really care for Nadeko all that much as a character (and as such I'm rather salty that they skipped Suruga Devil for this, since Kanbaru is my favorite -- I know they're animating it next year, but still), but this seems like it'll be an interesting arc nonetheless. I'm not entirely sure how it's going to play out, though. I don't really know what I think about the new ED; my first impression is that it's pretty bland, but sometimes songs grow on me.

I have a question for the LN readers:
I heard that Ougi is the main villain of the second half of the Monogatari series. Is this true?

I haven't really posted in here that much at all recently. I've been kinda sick this week, plus I haven't watched much anime in the past couple of weeks, and even when I have watched something, everyone always seems to say what I want to before I can. I'm really bad at posting my impressions. And I'm sort of afraid to participate in discussions because I'm only a junior (and also because they only rarely seem to be about something I can comment on).

Fantasista Doll 11

While fairly cliche, I overall enjoyed this episode. We finally got the explanation of the cards and their origins along with the villains motivation. Ending was pretty hype for the final battle between Uzume and
Komachi
. Not sure how exactly she's going to "save the world" as the poster advertised but it's been a fun journey about friendship and magic. As long as the final battle is as good as the one between Uzume and blue haired girl I'll be happy.

Majestic prince - 20

Metal gear solid 2 : sons of liberty told me that love can bloom on the battlefield.

MJP - 20 told me that you can find a familly on the battlefield too.

Battlefields are such strange things , right ?

Death Note - Episode 10

I was wondering where that famous laughing gif came from, and I guess now I know. I thought L would be more classy then that, feet on the table. Really L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom