• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
nMiOjG3.jpg

I forgive your spoiler because DAT ASS!! HNNNNNNG!

Phi Brain 30

Gammon truly has come a long way in my eyes, he's far more complex then the rest of the cast even if he is sometime very stubborn. Also it was hilarious to see Kaito play the role of a giver for a change.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku – Outbreak OVA 1

Bless you, Rena. If I can't have Shion going psycho eyes (Who was unfortunately absent), I can always count on you.

Unfortunately, this was a below average OVA.

Animation was pretty mediocre and the plot was basically just to let Rena and Keiichi kill a bunch of villagers to rescue Satoko. The problem I have with this is that I actually liked seeing the reaction from the characters when they killed someone in the series (i.e Rena crossing that line, Keiichi crying). Here its just like them playing a video game and gleefully not caring even slightly about whose neck they just slashed or beat down brutally with the baseball bat.

On the bright side, Dear You ~ Visionen im Spiegal is an absolutely beautiful song and I'm glad that it was the ending theme.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 28

I love Oyajide. He's hilarious. Especially when Hana is there. Those two are never not awesome together, especially given the contrast between his sinister intentions and Hana's affection for him. And she seems to be the one whose magic he never seems to take into account.

Firework farts at the end. Awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SatoJun and Yoshida worked on this show, hm? Haha, no wonder you like it so much. All it's missing is Kobayashi.

I've taken notice of this show due to your posting about it and I think I'll take a look at it sometime in the future. I like the whole mono no aware thing too so it seems like it would be my kind of show. Oh yeah, I looked at ANN's encyclopedia article for this anime and apparently it was Yuka Yamada who wrote this episode and not Yoshida.

Haha, when I first saw your impressions for episode 11 above I read it as episode 12, so when I saw this post I was thinking, didn't you already watch this episode? My mistake,haha.

One Off was four OVAs I think right? I remember watching the first one or part and then was going to wait for the rest and then haven't gotten around to watching it. I should get back to that. I also forgot that SatoJun was involved. I checked and it doesn't look like Yoshida was though. SatoJun + Yoshida + Kobayashi + Mono no aware! That would have been like the ultimate firehawk combo! Haha.

Since you like Aria so much, maybe you've mentioned it a few times already and I've since forgotten, but I checked to see if SatoJun and Yoshida were involved with that and of course they were! Haha. No wonder it's such a hit with firehawk,haha. All it's missing is Kobayashi as well.

I'm not sure how all the different staff stuff works so I wonder if SatoJun be involved with the new Sailor Moon or if Yoshida might write for it perhaps?

As for the logo, it looks like it could go either way to me, Honda or Bonda, haha.

Funny enough, Okuda-bot also worked on Aria. I guess she took from that experience the need to insert stupid (melo)drama into her writing to make it less subtle!

Checking on this Yamada, it looks like I don't know anything about them although given that they worked on Umi Monogatari, it almost makes sense that they'd be given that episode. The ending of that show was also pretty :satojun. lol

But yeah, the holy trinity of SatoJun/Yoshida/Kobayashi has yet to happen. I'm not sure if it ever will!

As for One Off, I believe it's actually 2-30 minute episodes. It's just that they're split into four parts for some reason. It's a short and sweet SatoJun mono no aware story where girls cry because they're happen at some revelation that they make about their past while, in this case, literally riding on a bike toward the future.

You know, standard stuff!

Also, this is Kobayashi:
FIiaeeMl.jpg

She gets a chance to flex her Engrish muscle. lol

Phi Brain 31

Man the Orpheus Order's don't give a fuck they march right up to the main characters and challenge them to battle. I like the idea of this battle game, but the fact we're gonna get 3-4 episodes based around it kind of frustrates me. Cube is now 0-2 against Melancholy but he got his data so I guess he's happy.

By the way Melancholy is by far the most adorable thing I've seen in anime this year.

The loli is becoming my favorite character simply due to design :X

Mawaru Penguindrum 11-15
And here I thought the plot had rolled out when it hardly had even begun. Quite a number of bombshells were dropped in these few episodes. I could not anticipate that
Shoma's parents were actually criminals which caused Momoka's death, then that Yuri was even crazier than Ringo, and Momoka's diary actually changes the fate of the world
. The story was already pretty crazy and now it just flipped the world several times over. Also farting penguins are funny

Nafe

I believe it was KuwabaraTheMan's birthday. Happy Birthday!
(Possibly belated depending where you live.)

---

Funny enough, Okuda-bot also worked on Aria. I guess she took from that experience the need to insert stupid (melo)drama into her writing to make it less subtle!

Ah, so Aria has some of her drama does it?

But yeah, the holy trinity of SatoJun/Yoshida/Kobayashi has yet to happen. I'm not sure if it ever will!

One day. Believe! Haha.

As for One Off, I believe it's actually 2-30 minute episodes. It's just that they're split into four parts for some reason. It's a short and sweet SatoJun mono no aware story where girls cry because they're happen at some revelation that they make about their past while, in this case, literally riding on a bike toward the future.

You know, standard stuff!

Also, this is Kobayashi:
FIiaeeMl.jpg

She gets a chance to flex her Engrish muscle. lol

Haha. It looks like Kobayashi's character even has Mad Pierrot eyebrows. I'm not sure if you ever watched any episodes of Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Anime but without spoiling anything, let's just say her character isn't so shy anymore,haha.

In case you forgot when 7Th mentioned it, Yoshida is woriking on the writing for Non Non Biyori for Fall season.

---

Also, kind of random, but it was a year ago now(crazy) that Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or My Little Monster aired and you mentioned a show about a short girl and a tall guy getting together and recommending that show as something similar. I wound up watching it but didn't end up posting any comments on it and now don't even remember what it was called,haha. I remember Ayana Taketatsu, Azusa from K-On's seiyuu, does the voice of the girl so it should be easy enough to figure out.

Phi Brain 32

Obligatory Kaito
loss
episode. Freecell and these villains seem really shallow though now that we're learning the truth about their collective past. Seriously you hold a grudge against Kaito because
as a depressed child who lost his parents he solved your incredibly easy puzzles and said they were bland
. Then again Rook's reason to hate Kaito in S1 was pretty flimsy as well.

Phi Brain 32

Obligatory Kaito
loss
episode. Freecell and these villains seem really shallow though now that we're learning the truth about their collective past. Seriously you hold a grudge against Kaito because
as a depressed child who lost his parents he solved your incredibly easy puzzles and said they were bland
. Then again Rook's reason to hate Kaito in S1 was pretty flimsy as well.

Except that puzzles in phi-brain -universe are "serious business" .. It's natural that they are overreacting

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kanamemo 6

Yeah, I don't know about this one anymore...Haruka makes this show extremely uncomfortable at times. Like, imagine if it were a guy saying the stuff she says. It goes a little too far a little too often. And it's a shame because she's a Yui Horie character...I usually like all of her characters.

But yeah, I'm really not sure about this show anymore.

Phi Brain 33

Ana episode? Ana episode!

Best character gets to beast and troll as only he can. I'd watch a show entirely about Ana he's that awesome. I could be :dtl for Ana

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, so Aria has some of her drama does it?
lol, not really, thankfully!
One day. Believe! Haha.
Kobayashi seems to be getting less and less work these days. :(
Haha. It looks like Kobayashi's character even has Mad Pierrot eyebrows. I'm not sure if you ever watched any episodes of Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Anime but without spoiling anything, let's just say her character isn't so shy anymore,haha.
I scrubbed through the last two where she shows up and tries to use "PC" to take over the world... or something. lol
In case you forgot when 7Th mentioned it, Yoshida is woriking on the writing for Non Non Biyori for Fall season.
Yeah, saw it. We'll see how it goes... at least she's not doing mecha again. :p

Also, kind of random, but it was a year ago now(crazy) that Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or My Little Monster aired and you mentioned a show about a short girl and a tall guy getting together and recommending that show as something similar. I wound up watching it but didn't end up posting any comments on it and now don't even remember what it was called,haha. I remember Ayana Taketatsu, Azusa from K-On's seiyuu, does the voice of the girl so it should be easy enough to figure out.
WV0fFWa.jpg

Yeah, that was Hiyokoi. It's probably most notable for, in my opinion, being a "pilot" or "beta test" for how they eventually did Kimi ni Todoke. The primary director on Hiyokoi was an episode director on KnT.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 29

Heh, I went back after Hadzuki explained why she and Masaru disappeared and lo and behold, there she was, buckling her knees and trying to get Doremi's and Onpu's attention. Kinda contrived to have all that stuff happen at once (and seriously, who stops in the middle of cutting watermelons to go buy salt? Was it for the watermelons? And his dad just left his beer and green beans there. Sorry, not buying it), but eh, whatever.

As for the commercial interlude,
was that Dodo and the other fairies grown up that they showed?
Cause that would be so motherfucking Toei if it was.

Ojamajo Doremi # 29

Heh, I went back after Hadzuki explained why she and Masaru disappeared and lo and behold, there she was, buckling her knees and trying to get Doremi's and Onpu's attention. Kinda contrived to have all that stuff happen at once (and seriously, who stops in the middle of cutting watermelons to go buy salt? Was it for the watermelons? And his dad just left his beer and green beans there. Sorry, not buying it), but eh, whatever.

As for the commercial interlude,
was that Dodo and the other fairies grown up that they showed?
Cause that would be so motherfucking Toei if it was.

Yes the salt was for the watermelons.

Syrinx

Yes the salt was for the watermelons.

Why would you put salt on watermelons? I've never heard of that. Maybe they were going to make martinis or something. Either way, they were in one fucking hurry to go buy that salt. Seriously, the dude's beer was open and poured. What the hell? And why does he even need to go? It's salt. I'm sure his wife is more than capable of going to the convenient store and buying salt on her own.

SO here is a question, are we keeping this thread for the fall season or not?

No, there will be a new thread when fall starts.

SO here is a question, are we keeping this thread for the fall season or not?

I hope not.

Why would you put salt on watermelons? I've never heard of that. Maybe they were going to make martinis or something. Either way, they were in one fucking hurry to go buy that salt. Seriously, the dude's beer was open and poured. What the hell? And why does he even need to go? It's salt. I'm sure his wife is more than capable of going to the convenient store and buying salt on her own.

No, like it was for the watermelon without making it something else. I heard of it a few years ago and even tried it. Using salt (a minimum amount of it) on a watermelon brings out its flavor and makes it taste better*, forgot who told me about this.

*preferences may vary

Syrinx

No, like it was for the watermelon without making it something else. I heard of it a few years ago and even tried it. Using salt (a minimum amount of it) on a watermelon brings out its flavor and makes it taste better*, forgot who told me about this.

*preferences may vary

Okay then. But my other points still stand.

zeroshiki

Kobayashi seems to be getting less and less work these days. :(

The dudes do tend to have longer lifespans. If you're a female seiyuu, getting a long running gig is probably for the best since the machine will grind you down and spit you out once the otaku get tired of you.

Okay then. But my other points still stand.

Well why would you send your wife to walk to the store.... alone..... at night.... in a world where miscarriages are brought up and lord knows might mention the r word at some point (I don't know about this one).

Gotta protect your waifu and display the true meaning of 'moe'.

Phi Brain 34

Freecell is truly kookoo for cocoa puffs, the final battle was exciting though glad to see Kaito get his head out of his ass.

Next episode is a beach party? They hid Nonoha during the preview but showed Erena and she looks fabulous... but according to the wiki she's 14 seriously what the hell Japan -.-

Syrinx

Well why would you send your wife to walk to the store.... alone..... at night.... in a world where miscarriages are brought up and lord knows might mention the r word at some point (I don't know about this one).

Gotta protect your waifu and display the true meaning of 'moe'.

Okay then. How about he finishes his beer and green beans and goes out by himself and she stays home and finishes cutting the watermelons?

Okay then. How about he finishes his beer and green beans and goes out by himself and she stays home and finishes cutting the watermelons?

Because this is a mahou shoujo, and men aren't as capable in this genre, then again, making them look capable is something that isn't done often to begin with.

Syrinx

Because this is a mahou shoujo, and men aren't as capable in this genre, then again, making them look capable is something that isn't done often to begin with.

All right. For the sake of argument, let's assume that both of them have to go to the store together for whatever reason. There are still two problems I have. One, why were they in such a fucking hurry? The kid said his mother never leaves something unfinished, so why was the salt such an urgent matter that she made an exception this one time? And couldn't they wait until the guy finished his beer? Again, it was open and poured; it's the best that beer's ever going to be. Could they have taken five minutes to let him drink it? Two, why didn't they just say "fuck it" and eat the watermelon without the salt? Watermelon's fine the way it is; they don't need to go that much out of their way to make it only a wee bit tastier.

...I feel like I'm debating the most pointless thing ever right now. And that's probably because I am.

All right. For the sake of argument, let's assume that both of them have to go to the store together for whatever reason. There are still two problems I have. One, why were they in such a fucking hurry? The kid said his mother never leaves something unfinished, so why was the salt such an urgent matter that she made an exception this one time? And couldn't they wait until the guy finished his beer? Again, it was open and poured; it's the best that beer's ever going to be. Could they have taken five minutes to let him drink it? Two, why didn't they just say "fuck it" and eat the watermelon without the salt? Watermelon's fine the way it is; they don't need to go that much out of their way to make it only a wee bit tastier.

...I feel like I'm debating the most pointless thing ever right now. And that's probably because I am.

Well lets start with that there's a big difference between salted and unsalted watermelon, especially with the base flavor salt brings on its on. It's pretty strong, so it's like a big boost, and I'm sure they want the kids to be happy.

I guess they were in a hurry so that when they get home fast enough, Dad can finish his beer just fine (granted that doesn't work, but then again, I'm not too big of a fan on beer outside of that Angry Orchird stuff).

Other could be how well can he actually take a beer, and would he need to be more stable instead of not quite as stable because he had alcohol?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Watamote 12 -END-

Kind of a lackluster final episode for an otherwise pretty great show. It really felt like they used up all their good material early on and the last two or three episodes weren't as good as the rest of the series. Did really like the insert song and the use of the OP near the end of the episode.

Farewell, Watamote. If it weren't for Servant x Service you'd probably be my show of the season. Here's hoping we get a second season, too. I could always do with more of Tomoko.

Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You 09

The plot is still very uninteresting and this is getting oddly serious for a Hayate plot, lol.

The girls in my anime club are all Free fangirls ( even the president)....... I did not expect
want
this -_-

Well now I have an excuse to never join one.

Besides potentially running into elitists, but still. Guess I would have to try to make them go SDburton to make up for the fujoshis, but that's too much effort and probably throwing males under the bus
Good lord we don't really need more of that.

Besides potentially running into elitists, but still. Guess I would have to try to make them go SDburton to make up for the fujoshis, but that's too much effort and probably throwing males under the bus

Its kind of embarrassing. During freshers fair the boards were all covered with Free posters. That is not a good representation of anime :/

Quasar

The World God Only Knows - Goddesses 12 - The season finale. Not bad. Did really want more epilogue though. I guess I need to read the manga, or wait perhaps forever for more anime.

Lain

Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-bu 1-12

Watched 12 episodes of this today and I had fun while doing it, despite the turn for the obsessively weird at some point.
The only disappointment is that those two
didn't kiss
at the end of 12. Would have been pretty awesome if they did.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The World God Only Knows - Goddesses 12 - The season finale. Not bad. Did really want more epilogue though. I guess I need to read the manga, or wait perhaps forever for more anime.
Knowing the anime, they'd just skip 100 chapters anyway! lol
Funny that it turned into the Chihiro show... but I guess they basically killed her off.

Watamote 12 -END-

Kind of a lackluster final episode for an otherwise pretty great show. It really felt like they used up all their good material early on and the last two or three episodes weren't as good as the rest of the series. Did really like the insert song and the use of the OP near the end of the episode.

Farewell, Watamote. If it weren't for Servant x Service you'd probably be my show of the season. Here's hoping we get a second season, too. I could always do with more of Tomoko.
The thing is that as an ongoing series, there's really no way for them to end it. As something that was half recap and half denouement, I feel like they did the best they did. Playing with the episode structure and being all Oonuma was a neat bonus too.

But man, that CG. lol

Funny enough, as far as bad CG goes, it's still probably better than Kingdom!

Its kind of embarrassing. During freshers fair the boards were all covered with Free posters. That is not a good representation of anime :/

I'm going to assume guys having those bods would imply that they weren't just lanky pretty boys with no actual muscle or something... even if that's giving them more credit than they probably deserve but...

They should at least have a broad range of goods shown.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm going to assume guys having those bods would imply that they weren't just lanky pretty boys with no actual muscle or something... even if that's giving them more credit than they probably deserve but...

They should at least have a broad range of goods shown.
Honestly, it's not like any of the otaku-oriented stuff is possible to show in public!

Theonik

As far as elitists are concerned I seriously doubt you'll encounter many of those. It's infinitely more likely that everyone will be in the AoT is the best thing since sliced bread camp.

Gah. Getting withdrawal from Oreimo. Want more. Sad it's over. Despite not liking the route chosen, it was a really good show.

....just watch some other shitty harem show then? There's plenty of those out there.

Honestly, it's not like any of the otaku-oriented stuff is possible to show in public!

Then show them Precure or Ojamajo Doremi, I don't fucking know.

As far as elitists are concerned I seriously doubt you'll encounter many of those. It's infinitely more likely that everyone will be in the AoT is the best thing since sliced bread camp.

Actually yeah, they would probably be harder to deal with since mocking it will trigger Attack on Kirbyguy instead. AMVs and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom