• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This may be blasphemy to say, but I am liking this show more than Utena. I adored Utena, but Ippo is such an easier show to power watch.
They're completely different types of shows, but yeah, I've actually picked Ippo when forced to narrow my favorite down to just one title.

Hajime no Ippo 4-7

Remember Gaf, the size isn't a factor in whether you're a man or not. Wise words. ;-)

Anyway, I got some major goosebumps and found myself actively and verbally rooting for Ippo during this fight. I was completely enthralled during that fight. Will I continue to have these awesome feelings, and will the show even elevate this feeling?

I might realize soon why so many praise this show.

Hell yeah that feeling keeps going son.

Yup, my hype level just turned from gold into bronze. At first I was hyped but now that
L has died
and the whole story is involving
America and gangsters
, it's getting really stupid. I think this is the biggest bad turn around I've ever seen on an anime.

Well it could be worse. It could be Dexter.

But yeah, the opinion on Death Note's turn around is pretty damn consistent. It's like the "Soul Society arc was when Bleach was at its best and then it sucked".... except Death Note's never really changed since it ended.

The Eat shit Kirbyguy image

THE CIIIIIIIIIIIRCLE OF LIFE

cajunator

Banned
Hell yeah that feeling keeps going son.

Well it could be worse. It could be Dexter.

But yeah, the opinion on Death Note's turn around is pretty damn consistent. It's like the "Soul Society arc was when Bleach was at its best and then it sucked".... except Death Note's never really changed since it ended.

THE CIIIIIIIIIIIRCLE OF LIFE

Dat Wolfrun

Gintamen

Railgun S - 22

Oh my, bad guy demands good person to neutralize themself for an exchange, good person actually does so, bad guy has lied. Man is this dumb writing, why would any evil character do as they said?

Diabolik Lovers Episode 2
tumblr_mtlrslSrsD1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mtlrslSrsD1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Mr. Sadistic Night is a wonderful op for the characters singing, not as good as a few of the other otome and character songs but still does a mighty good job and being fitting and quite well. On the music front they really do have a good mix of music to set the stage and really make it horror type themed. One scene made me have to turn on the lights while watching.

At the end of the day, Ayato is easily the best one and does do well to ensure he gets what is his. Like his faces and the Takoyaki scene was most memorable.
though was surprised by how far he even progressed there on pancake. I wonder how much like she has for Ayato as she made it easy to insert into the scene and just get completely captivated and taken away by Ayato.
. Hopefully he continues to retain the most screentime.

Jarmel

Banned
To me they were just like gnats early on. Obnoxious, but not particularly threatening. Villains shouldn't really be best described as "bothersome". Their more sophisticated schemes sold the danger of the situation inherently, and gave more purpose to the characters. I only wish there was maybe more elaborated on how they have to go along with their wishes of their family, and ultimately their father. What I like about the Ebisugawa family is the contrast they provide to other Tanuki, and even within their familial structure you get a range.

Eccentric Family can be cartoonish at times in its presentation, but the story itself holds a certain amount of substance and doesn't really have much a place for cartoon villains.

The problem with the brothers is that they're played off as these buffoons when what they're trying to do is deathly serious. The hyenas in Lion King were used for laughs but they could also be intimating and scary at times as well. What they're doing shouldn't be brushed off with a joke but a rather serious ass beating.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 27

Jesus. Guy gets a leave from the hospital to go fishing at a river with his fiance, and he croaks after telling her his biggest regrets. One of which was not being able to live happily with her. Goddammit. For whatever reason though, the name Atsushi sounded a bit familiar. He wasn't in an earlier episode, was he? I don't think he was...

Why didn't they just get on their brooms and fly when the bear appeared?

Oh and damn at that sardine. I thought sardines were like a couple inches long. That thing was a fucking sea bass or something.

Ore no Imouto wa konna ni kawaii wake ga nai 2 eps 1-16

Really enjoyed the series up until episode 13. Then, gah!!! The forbidden route. I was sure he'd end up with Kuroneko because of her picture book. And I never expected Manami to play that kind of role in the end. So in the end he ends up with no one? What the fuck! It was a frustrating ending. Also, I didn't expect Ayase to like him.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They're helping a murder plot in which they're fully aware of the consequences.
Their participation in the event is abstracted by running interference on related parties instead of directly involving themselves in the death.

Also, it's Tanuki nature to be apathetic.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Valvrave the Liberator 10

Interesting. Just how exactly were they being modified before losing their humanity?

So are the other kids having vampire attacks or is it just Haruto?

Yep that's democracy in action, folks, :lol

SEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEX imdyingsquirtle

okay now that's a bit of a twist

Jarmel

Banned
Their participation in the event is abstracted by running interference on related parties instead of directly involving themselves in the death.

Also, it's Tanuki nature to be apathetic.

That's like absolving someone just because they didn't use the knife directly. They came up with a good chunk of the kidnapping plan. Even their sister realized how fucked up this is.

You would have to be completely emotionless not to have a strong emotional reaction to what the brothers and father have done.

Couldn't think of any other place to share this sketch, and since I suppose there was an anime adaption of it, I suppose it technically is relevant.
Now to just wait for the Union Jack Watch to critique my usage of it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You would have to be completely emotionless not to have a strong emotional reaction to what the brothers and father have done.
you got me. it's emotionless to be sympathetic to both sides.

not saying what they did was right, but it's obvious why they did it. a tanuki is bound to die no matter what that night, might as well make it one you don't like.

Jarmel

Banned
you got me. it's emotionless to be sympathetic to both sides.

not saying what they did was right, but it's obvious why they did it. a tanuki is bound to die no matter what that night, might as well make it one you don't like.
Sympathetic to someone who already killed one of your family members and trying to kill a second one? You're damn right.

The reasoning of the uncle is nowhere good enough to be remotely sympthetic towards him. Disney didn't even bother trying to portray Scar in a sympathetic light and for good reason.

Mushibugyo 25

Powerful penultimate episode
on that ending moment alone, how could insect magistrate stab him, I thought she would have been able to retain some memory since she wasnt bug form. Also why isnt the insect that is giving these powers a part of the plot?

Hakkenden Eight Dogs of the East Episode 25: Pursuit

Wow I think best action in the anime in awhile and taking the plot to a new level. Writer of the source and even the anime must be praised, perfectly balanced the comedy, action, suspense, and drama there.

and then when Shinobu had to face him, and then Shino battling how to challenge Ao and then being stabbed :( :( :(

zeroshiki

Rozen Maiden 2013 - 12

I thought it would have done well to end here. I thought it was a nice touching moment with old-Jun and Shinku especially the last scene. Suigintou even has her moment in the sun and showed surprising character growth that the previous 2 series combined were not able to give her. I really liked the opening sequence with Jun trying to hold onto Shinku and her turning rose petals. Such good symbolism for the series as a whole.

-Horizon-

Actually, it was pretty much stated last episode.
The paper that Ai got for a while but was quickly taken from her before she could fully read it actually mentioned "Alice's" death directly. Anyone could see it on screen by pausing the video. The anime pretty much spoiled the twist.

I was even somewhat confused this episode because I had assumed that Dee had read the paper before burning it, but apparently she didn't.

I want another season of this show... but considering the sales it won't happen...

Are sales that bad? :(

Andrew J.

Valvrave the Liberator 10

Interesting. Just how exactly were they being modified before losing their humanity?

So are the other kids having vampire attacks or is it just Haruto?

Yep that's democracy in action, folks, :lol

SEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEX imdyingsquirtle

okay now that's a bit of a twist

As the joke went back when this aired:

Shoko won the election

Saki won the erection

Nafe

Tamayura MORE AGGRESSIVE 11
ssFYOijl.jpg

[slow clap] You did it again, SatoJun. You did it again. [/slow clap]

You know, I hope Yoshida wrote this episode, if only because it is basically a "reverse-K-ON!!". That's not to say the whole sempai thing hasn't been done before - even Pet Girl did it - but this all just feels natural and not very gimmicky.
Probably only the upcoming HidaSketch OVA thing will top this, but only because we've had so much more time with Hiro and Sae.

Anyhow, I hope he has another season planned. One more year of high school means they can do another season that opens up again.

SatoJun and Yoshida worked on this show, hm? Haha, no wonder you like it so much. All it's missing is Kobayashi.

I've taken notice of this show due to your posting about it and I think I'll take a look at it sometime in the future. I like the whole mono no aware thing too so it seems like it would be my kind of show. Oh yeah, I looked at ANN's encyclopedia article for this anime and apparently it was Yuka Yamada who wrote this episode and not Yoshida.

Tamayura MORE AGGRESSIVE fin
3tBfx9Ul.jpg

Honestly, I feel like this one image sums up the entire series, the entire franchise, and almost everything that SatoJun does well. Of course, I can also understand why some people might be tired of the same gimmick over and over again, but I love it. It's a nice quiet optimism born out of just being alive that I appreciate. I probably can't be as positive as a SatoJun character, but it's nice to see that someone doesn't think the world is destroying itself. lol

O7Uhvmtl.png

Indeed. I hope there's a final season in a couple of years. Seeing them graduate is, of course, the obvious and perfect place to end the series.

I only wish this show was licensed. Maybe Nozomi will pick it up a few years from now, assuming Aria did reasonably well for them.

B3A8nwWl.jpg

Oh yeah, given that SatoJun did One Off, I'm surprised he had to use a fake Honda logo. At least it looks like it says "Bonda" to me. lol

Haha, when I first saw your impressions for episode 11 above I read it as episode 12, so when I saw this post I was thinking, didn't you already watch this episode? My mistake,haha.

One Off was four OVAs I think right? I remember watching the first one or part and then was going to wait for the rest and then haven't gotten around to watching it. I should get back to that. I also forgot that SatoJun was involved. I checked and it doesn't look like Yoshida was though. SatoJun + Yoshida + Kobayashi + Mono no aware! That would have been like the ultimate firehawk combo! Haha.

Since you like Aria so much, maybe you've mentioned it a few times already and I've since forgotten, but I checked to see if SatoJun and Yoshida were involved with that and of course they were! Haha. No wonder it's such a hit with firehawk,haha. All it's missing is Kobayashi as well.

I'm not sure how all the different staff stuff works so I wonder if SatoJun be involved with the new Sailor Moon or if Yoshida might write for it perhaps?

As for the logo, it looks like it could go either way to me, Honda or Bonda, haha.

zeroshiki

I remember watching a ton of anime on AXN dubbed until they mercifully started subbing the shows. Its nice to see that they're still picking up these non-mainstream shows to broadcast.

TWGOK S3 12 END

I watched these past 11 episodes just to see that moment.

Did not disappoint.

tumblr_m7cfq2PNPq1ra34c3o1_500.gif

Overall, I think the season was fine. Can't honestly say it was better than S1 and S2, but that's mostly because the goddess arc overall pales in comparison to when Keima was capturing the girls; which is and probably will always be, the high point of the series. I also disliked a majority of the omissions the anime made (Haqua water torture) compared to the manga, but there were a few expansions I did appreciate (Lune screen time).

More importantly, we got to see Yui animated and we got Ayumi in a maid outfit/wedding dress, so that's automatically above a passing grade in my book. I still demand some OVA's for the missing girls, specifically Yui, since a flashback is no way going to cut it.

Girls ED Ranking:

Shiori > Yui > Ayumi > Kanon > Tsukiyo > Tenri

7/10 Decent. I'd be fine if the anime series ends here, since I'm not really big on wanting an anime adaption of the next arc.

Pretty much what i think about this season , they at least nailed most of parts right but i'm not gonna forget that they cut plenty of things to get to this point .
Indeed some oavs for the missing girls arc would be nice ( since the next & final arc is far from being over )

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 20

Them feels to start the episode. :(

His Telomeres are shrinking? Can you use him like a genetic virus by sac'ing him to the enemy? That'd be pretty baller.

Oh shit. Now those are fucking twists.

As the joke went back when this aired:

Shoko won the election

Saki won the erection

:lol

Only because of charlotte.

No arguments here. Best girl is best.

So ready for S2!

Easily the best girl

Charlotte is the only reason I'm interested at all.

Oh yes! Charles is the bestest by far :).

I'd also recommend that anyone interested in picking up the BD release of S1 check out the Greatest Dub of All Time :p.

I agree with all of you 100%, and I'm gonna watch just for her though
I almost don't want to because we all know Charlotte will never win. Search your feelings. They're gonna take the easy route and Houki is gonna win or no one wins.

-Horizon-

I agree with all of you 100%, and I'm gonna watch just for her though
I almost don't want to because we all know Charlotte will never win. Search your feelings. They're gonna take the easy route and Houki is gonna win or no one wins.

Of course none of those girls will win, doujins have taught me that Chifuyu-nee is not one to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom