• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

The thing I most remember about Ninomiya is the ending. The melody was pretty catchy, and you can't go wrong with cheerleaders.

Death Note - Episode 20

This new OP is metal as heck. This episode was pretty boring but I'm guessing more is to come next episode.

A quote from L was funny
Misa: "
I couldn't imagine living in a world without Light.
"
L: "Yes, I'd imagine that'd be dark."
XD
MisaMisa <3
I have a lovely wallscroll of her. I regret nothing.

My friend told me to look out for a strange girl in this show, and I guess I found her. I feel bad that she
has to like a guy like Light

cajunator

Banned
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun 1

This was probably the most frustratingly dumb mid-00s harem show I've seen so far. This MC is like some super soldier but with the mind of the average harem protagonist and has pussy thrown at him left and right and he won't take any of it because he's fucking awful. The main heroine is nonchalantly referred to as a succubus and awakens men's will to molest wherever she goes, and she's also boring as shit with big boobs. I'm sticking with this show because it'll be worth it for Miyukichi being a main girl plus she's already so much better than the shitty actual main girl who's name I can't even remember, plus it's OJOU-SAMA MIYUKICHI so there's that too.

Ojuosama Miyukichi is the selling point here.
Sorry to hear the show is not very good. Also most 00's era haremshits were indeed frustratingly dumb.

Spice and Wolf did a decent job at this. Not that it went out of its way, but in so many shows they are nothing more than costume props.

Oh god I love the fuwafuwa tails and happy squee twitchy ears. Especially like in Utawarerumono.

Jex

For as much as I like this show, I also feel I can't get invested enough in the story. Episode 8 worked for me, but that's the extent of it. I'm more attracted to other things the series has been doing rather than being expectant of what will happen to these characters.

I think it's pretty reasonable to feel that way. I feel like most people who invested anytime in the series were initially hooked by the great art, excellent direction and the character of Bentent who is probably one of the most interesting characters in any anime series this year. A fair chunk of the first half of the series was devoted to establishing characters in a number of one-off stories and Benten got a lot of screentime during that period before fading into the background. It wasn't really a bait and switch but I can see why some people might feel like it was.

Ultimately all the one-off introduction and development episodes are far more interesting then the 'Election' narrative which the finale part of the series is focused on. I would have been fine seeing nothing but one of stories, with flashes of backstory, being the whole of the anime without any 'dramatic arc' at all especially when it focuses on the elements which most people probably care about the least (tanuki elections).

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Another 10

I kinda always thought that's how it was supposed to work in the first place. Kill the 'dead person' and that ends it. That said, I'm still not sure who it is. Sakakibara seems like the obvious choice (flashback, main character, missing memory, weird back history) but Misaki isn't too far behind either (weird, odd history, exiled once already to kinda positive effect). I also can't seem to ignore the possibility of the two other male supporting characters, Mochizuki and Teshigawara as potential black horses.

They need to get those class photos developed asap. But they probably won't.

Ah, well that changes matters. Misaki's not off the hook, but I feel less sure about Sakakibara.

Misaki's fake is totally the key and she's not just fucking using it? Why. WHY. This is life and death. You're dumb.

Actually, you're all dumb.

Branduil

Another 10

I kinda always thought that's how it was supposed to work in the first place. Kill the 'dead person' and that ends it. That said, I'm still not sure who it is. Sakakibara seems like the obvious choice (flashback, main character, missing memory, weird back history) but Misaki isn't too far behind either (weird, odd history, exiled once already to kinda positive effect). I also can't seem to ignore the possibility of the two other male supporting characters, Mochizuki and Teshigawara as potential black horses.

They need to get those class photos developed asap. But they probably won't.

Ah, well that changes matters. Misaki's not off the hook, but I feel less sure about Sakakibara.

Misaki's fake is totally the key and she's not just fucking using it? Why. WHY. This is life and death. You're dumb.

Actually, you're all dumb.

Like I said, Idiot Ball: The Anime.

Jex

In other anime blog news, Ben is still going at it, churning out articles at an extremely impressive rate. If you go to his blog here http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php you can catch up on them all. As a number of people have recently watched the Blue Exorcist Movie you may be interested in his post about the subject here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sunday without God - Episode 12 SEASON END

R8DHPxa.gif

What the fuck at that switcheroo. It didn't even make sense. It came completely out of left field without any kind of hint or buildup. After Dee made them remember they didn't say it was Alis that died. I guess you could say they thought it was Dee that died because she said it was her when they were regaining their memory but still. Why would Alis have a complete body outside the simulated world and Dee didn't?

Wait Ai saved Alis? OMGGGGGGGGGG
HjqY8AH.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
At this point, I feel the same. The Ebisugawa father works better for me, but the two retard brothers have gotten old. It doesn't help that their scenes also happen to be mostly static and uninteresting, unlike their presentation in episode 2 which was more exciting and lively.
Funny, I thought that was them at their worst.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Someone's watching Another here?

Oh boy.

I'm pretty sure that they just need to all acknowledge who the dead person is.

mhs004

R8DHPxa.gif

What the fuck at that switcheroo. It didn't even make sense. It came completely out of left field without any kind of hint or buildup. After Dee made them remember they didn't say it was Alis that died. I guess you could say they thought it was Dee that died because she said it was her when they were regaining their memory but still. Why would Alis have a complete body outside the simulated world and Dee didn't?

HjqY8AH.gif
Must.....not....click....spoiler.

cnet128

Banned

HjqY8AH.gif

Of course she saved him, this is the land of "Death Means Nothing To Characters Not Named Humpney Humbart"!

...I only joke about this series because I love it.

Shergal

For animation nerds, Bahi JD has a selection of cuts he's done for Space Dandy up on his blog: http://bahijd.tumblr.com/

Looks like he's working on that and Ghost in the Shell: Arise.

I don't think those are cuts he, himself, animated. Some of those were reused from the original PV and he confirmed that didn't show any of his scenes, and those don't seem like his style either. The singer in particular looks more like Gosei Oda to me.

It's pretty cool that he confirmed most of his work will be in the first episode. Right away! That also means some Nakamura scenes in ep 1 as Bahi had said one of his cuts came right after Yutapon's. I hope they show up again after that though.

Funny, I thought that was them at their worst.

They were definitely more obnoxious, but that's what I liked about it. Cartoon villains are a-ok in my book, but perhaps the show hasn't done a pitch perfect job of balancing this aspect with the more dreamy and subdued scenes. After that one scene most of their appearances got reduced to trampling in and talking about stuff nobody cares about, and any sort of freshness I thought their interplay had faded away.

NeonZ

What the fuck at that switcheroo. It didn't even make sense. It came completely out of left field without any kind of hint or buildup.

Actually, it was pretty much stated last episode.
The paper that Ai got for a while but was quickly taken from her before she could fully read it actually mentioned "Alice's" death directly. Anyone could see it on screen by pausing the video. The anime pretty much spoiled the twist.

I was even somewhat confused this episode because I had assumed that Dee had read the paper before burning it, but apparently she didn't.

I want another season of this show... but considering the sales it won't happen...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They were definitely more obnoxious, but that's what I liked about it. Cartoon villains are a-ok in my book, but perhaps the show hasn't done a pitch perfect job of balancing this aspect with the more dreamy and subdued scenes. After that one scene most of their appearances got reduced to trampling in and talking about stuff nobody cares about, and any sort of freshness I thought their interplay had faded away.
To me they were just like gnats early on. Obnoxious, but not particularly threatening. Villains shouldn't really be best described as "bothersome". Their more sophisticated schemes sold the danger of the situation inherently, and gave more purpose to the characters. I only wish there was maybe more elaborated on how they have to go along with their wishes of their family, and ultimately their father. What I like about the Ebisugawa family is the contrast they provide to other Tanuki, and even within their familial structure you get a range.

Eccentric Family can be cartoonish at times in its presentation, but the story itself holds a certain amount of substance and doesn't really have much a place for cartoon villains.

Shergal

To me they were just like gnats early on. Obnoxious, but not particularly threatening. Villains shouldn't really be best described as "bothersome". Their more sophisticated schemes sold the danger of the situation inherently, and gave more purpose to the characters. I only wish there was maybe more elaborated on how they have to go along with their wishes of their family, and ultimately their father. What I like about the Ebisugawa family is the contrast they provide to other Tanuki, and even within their familial structure you get a range.

Eccentric Family can be cartoonish at times in its presentation, but the story itself holds a certain amount of substance and doesn't really have much a place for cartoon villains.

That's a fair assessment. Honestly I didn't think the show would go down the path of the last three episodes at the beginning, it seemed like a different type of thing, so I didn't process the twins as "villains" so much as "those goofy assholes" that were there to build the world and the families.
I think the issues you point out with cartoon villains and lack of exploration become more pronounced as the show starts to focus more on the dramatic beats. Episode 12 brought back the whimsy and nonchalance I liked, but it was getting increasingly more serious before that and I wasn't sure if I was liking it. The twins became a threat to be aware of, surely, but their interplay still makes for some middling sequences that don't really do much to build tone or character.

yami4ct

Wolf's Rain 6-11

Story wise, I don't have much to say. It's been great. The show's been dead on with most of the emotional beats, the character interactions are great and the world is super interesting. I just wanted to take the time to gush again about how much I love the art design of the show.

First of all, the costuming the nobleman wears in episode 11 is just so damn cool.

It evokes a medieval, dark tone yet somehow still feels out of this world. It looks like something that could come from a dystopic future realm. It's perfect for the tone of the show.

The other specific scene I want to call out is this one.

The show is so good at having subtle visual cues about each character's "hidden" identities. They do it with the wolves all the time through shadows and other small visual moments. This one here with Cheza really stood out to me. It's a great visual moment in a scene that's just really cool all around.

Super Seisyun Brothers Episode 1
tumblr_mtlqdqiSez1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Absolutely hilarious and perfect cast all around (Chika best bro) Think the brothers carry the anime a bit more than the sisters though her monologue on otome road and making doujinshi was a memorable moment. Potentially my favorite shorts series since Senyuu!!

cnet128

Banned
Uchouten Kazoku 12

guys how is this show so gooooooood?!

I was totally prepared for the triumphant return of human-form Yajirou. That is what I was expecting. I was in no way remotely prepared for
the triumphant return of DRUNKEN STREETCAR YAJIROU instead. Holy shit, little Yashirou done good. He done so, so good.

In a twist of extra perfection, the streets that the gang went careering down in that amazing scene were streets that I've walked down countless times myself during the year I spent in Kyoto. Teramachi-doori is pretty damn recognisable, and that just made the sight of
a runaway streetcar blazing a path through the street's unsuspecting shoppers
even more glorious. When I caught a glimpse of that one distinctive shop with the giant fuck-off crab above the entrance I think I almost died of nostalgia. And by nostalgia I mean why the hell am I not in Kyoto RIGHT NOW T_T

I can see where people are coming from with the complaints about the Ebisugawa brothers, but honestly they work pretty well for me. They're insufferable in both their attitude and their stupidity, and every word out of their mouths is meaningless tripe, but that's what makes them work as characters.

To some extent I think all the tanuki are defined by their slightly larger-than-life character traits - Yasaburou's carefree "foolishness", Yaichirou's all-encompassing sense of familial duty, Souun's deep-seated inferiority complex and resultant drive to escape from his brother's shadow, and so forth. I think these traits are what help to keep the sense that none of the tanuki are quite "human", no matter how human they can seem. And I think the Ebisugawa brothers' sheer idiocy is a prime example of that. I feel like they're similar to the Dursleys in Harry Potter - detestable because they're such overt caricatures of elitist bullies that detesting them seems like the only reasonable reaction, but at the same time it's difficult to really hold a massive grudge against them because they're such bumbling fools that don't know any better, and have clearly been to some extent shaped into what they are by their unfortunate upbringings.

Anyway, this was a great episode and I look forward to the thrilling conclusion!

TWGOK S3 12 END

I watched these past 11 episodes just to see that moment.

Did not disappoint.

tumblr_m7cfq2PNPq1ra34c3o1_500.gif

Overall, I think the season was fine. Can't honestly say it was better than S1 and S2, but that's mostly because the goddess arc overall pales in comparison to when Keima was capturing the girls; which is and probably will always be, the high point of the series. I also disliked a majority of the omissions the anime made (Haqua water torture) compared to the manga, but there were a few expansions I did appreciate (Lune screen time).

More importantly, we got to see Yui animated and we got Ayumi in a maid outfit/wedding dress, so that's automatically above a passing grade in my book. I still demand some OVA's for the missing girls, specifically Yui, since a flashback is no way going to cut it.

Girls ED Ranking:

Shiori > Yui > Ayumi > Kanon > Tsukiyo > Tenri

7/10 Decent. I'd be fine if the anime series ends here, since I'm not really big on wanting an anime adaption of the next arc.

Necrovex

Hajime no Ippo 4-7

Remember Gaf, the size isn't a factor in whether you're a man or not. Wise words. ;-)

Anyway, I got some major goosebumps and found myself actively and verbally rooting for Ippo during this fight. I was completely enthralled during that fight. Will I continue to have these awesome feelings, and will the show even elevate this feeling?

I might realize soon why so many praise this show.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hajime no Ippo 4-7

Remember Gaf, the size isn't a factor in whether you're a man or not. Wise words. ;-)

Anyway, I got some major goosebumps and found myself actively and verbally rooting for Ippo during this fight. I was completely enthralled during that fight. Will I continue to have these awesome feelings, and will the show even elevate this feeling?
In a word, yes.

If I remember correctly, things start going downhill after this.

Yup, my hype level just turned from gold into bronze. At first I was hyped but now that
L has died
and the whole story is involving
America and gangsters
, it's getting really stupid. I think this is the biggest bad turn around I've ever seen on an anime.

cajunator

Banned
Death Note - Episode 25

o_O How can... this doesn't even....... really!? I don't even have the words...

Damn you are blazing through this.

Duff hasn't posted in the past three days. :(

I know. I think that last game might have done him in. RIP DUFF.

TWGOK S3 12 END

I watched these past 11 episodes just to see that moment.

Did not disappoint.

tumblr_m7cfq2PNPq1ra34c3o1_500.gif

Overall, I think the season was fine. Can't honestly say it was better than S1 and S2, but that's mostly because the goddess arc overall pales in comparison to when Keima was capturing the girls; which is and probably will always be, the high point of the series. I also disliked a majority of the omissions the anime made (Haqua water torture) compared to the manga, but there were a few expansions I did appreciate (Lune screen time).

More importantly, we got to see Yui animated and we got Ayumi in a maid outfit/wedding dress, so that's automatically above a passing grade in my book. I still demand some OVA's for the missing girls, specifically Yui, since a flashback is no way going to cut it.

Girls ED Ranking:

Shiori > Yui > Ayumi > Kanon > Tsukiyo > Tenri

7/10 Decent. I'd be fine if the anime series ends here, since I'm not really big on wanting an anime adaption of the next arc.

Your ranking is acceptable. Best girl is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom