• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

santeesioux

It's probably because the first season was licensed by Bandai while the second + movie are licensed by Sentai. I think I remember Chet saying they don't distribute the first season anymore.

Edit: Ah yeah, from Wikipedia: On August 30, 2012, Bandai Entertainment announced that it will discontinue distributing their home video and print catalog on March 1, 2013. They made their final shipment to retailers on November 30, 2012.

That's disappointing, i kind of want to watch that show to see what all of the hype is about too.

Being tall and intimidating looking (even when you actually aren't in the slightest) in school helps. No one bothered me.

Midonin

Sunday Without God
cinématique ~memento mori~

There was a series that aired some years ago - The Mystic Archives of Dantalian - that I felt was beautifully well done, supernatural and thoroughly human, though it ended up underappreciated for its episodic nature. Elements of that series have resurfaced this season. The love of books in Dog & Scissors, Dalian and Shinku are basically the same character, and the atmosphere... it ended up here.

For the longest time I've had an interest in some kinds of post-apocalyptic fiction. This has led to me watching everything from Shangri-La to From the New World. This is probably the sweetest and most heartwarming of the stories in this genre I've seen, though it also deals the most directly with death. Compared to Humanity Has Declined, at least. I've also liked having a supernatural - be it religious or otherwise - element in stories, and this universe's take on God was an intriguing one. More overlap, two shows with
God gone missing
this season. Time loops, psychic powers, immortality, these things, while well-worn in genre fiction, I will always welcome.

I can talk a lot about the scenery alone. The almost constant sunset, the ruined but beautiful cities. It's a different sort of emptiness compared to Watamote's bleak suburban life. Even when the road is cracked, trees and plants are always there. The world lives on. There are still signs of modern civilization. The van. The schools have nearly all the traits of modern Japanese schools, like the cultural festival. Not to mention characters with names like "Ai" and
"Kizuna"
. Yet the language is French, and Ortus looks European. It's a very timeless world, similar to So Ra no Wo To. That world is also
post-apocalyptic, but that's not revealed until later.

The promo art had me wondering if Hampnie would be the main character and Ai merely a sidekick, but I was gladly proven wrong. Ai was the main character to the end, and I think it was good, in an indie-game sort of way. Fitting, that a lot of the story arcs ended peacefully. The conditions were often imperfect, but never left the viewer feeling that hope was lost. It's one of the few times a series can have so much blood and death, and still leave me saying that.

It was definitely one of the most cinematic anime, too. I realized this during the Ortus arc. These books could've been adapted into a series of movies, and the flow of the stories would work great. Everything was kind of case-of-the-week like Dantalian, but a little longer, a little more involved. Four distinct arcs and a single one-off - this format actually held my attention. It's comparable to what the Monogatari series is doing right now. All interconnected, but more like a series of OVAs if anything.

I've been going on quite a bit about the structure, but not a whole lot about the story. As I mentioned above, I quite like Ai as a character. Dee, Ulla, Scar... everyone had their roles to play, and all felt quite defined. Ultimately, the stories felt not so much about the mysteries, but the concepts. Accepting death, and having hope for life. It's all very Dumbledoreian... or maybe something classier, but I can't go wrong with Albus.

The opening was surprisingly beautiful, and that pan around Ai on the hill sold me on it. The ED was also fitting to the series, but I find the OP more listenable.

Final Thoughts: Because of the way I watched it, I think I was able to like it more. The setting is interesting, the way the story is structured allows for a fair bit of variety, and Ai's endearingly cute. Perhaps it's because the themes resonate. A bit more overt in its mono no aware than Tamayura, but I'd call it the most heartwarming post-apocalyptic series of the year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watching a few shows from the 90's lately and it's interesting to see who is still around and how prevalent they are and others who don't really get anything other than very small bit parts now.
That's the sad thing about Japanese voice acting - there is a constant churn because they are also expected to be idols as well. And once you get past a certain age, throwing on a school uniform and prancing around on stage becomes sad.
Yeah, that's the show. I looked it up and apparently just at the end of last year there were three more short little specials around the show or something. Might have to give those a look too if I can find them. I haven't seen KnT yet so I can't see any parallels there yet.
Those 2 minute things aren't really anything more than just commercials for the manga. They're on youtube iirc. But really, you should watch KnT. :p

Ah, I've really gotten into Space Battleship Yamato 2199 lately. It's kind of like K-On in a way for me in that I originally watched the first episode of K-On and liked it but was watching others shows and doing other things and didn't get back to it for months. I re-watched the first episode and went through the show and loved it with it being one of my all time favorites.

A similar thing is happening here where I watched the first three or four episodes and liked it but then started doing other things and now am getting back to the show later and watching it more frequently and loving it! I even told people in the K-On thread to watch it if they weren't already,haha.

Taking a look at last years AOTY vote and it looks like you were the only one to vote for or mention the show. That's too bad as it's really good in my opinion. If we do a vote again this year it's definitely on my list and unless next season just blows me away, it will be in my top five.
I was wondering if you were going to say that Yamato also features an after school band or something. ;)
But does K-onGAF likes science fiction pew pew stuff? I guess we'll see. lol

Honestly, I don't think it will make much of a dent this year as well, simply because of the fact that it isn't simulcast and there's no temporal link that brings everyone together. The only way you are discovering the show is being a hardcore fan and learning about it through osmosis whenever one of the BDs are released. It has a somewhat giant thread on animesuki at least, but we all know what happens in those threads!
(I have no idea!)

I hope more people watch it anyway. It really is the best piece of classic science fiction that I've seen in years (not counting that Time Jam show on Crunchroll).

Watching that video and not only is Houchu Ohtsuka doing the voice of Data but Akio Ohtsuka, who does the voice of General Domel in Yamato, is doing the voice for Riker. He did the voice for Rider in Fate/Zero if people still don't know who that is.
Man, I guess dubbing live action TV doesn't require you to be an idol of any kind. lol

Mushibugyo 25

Well......shit.

Don't really mind it because of that smile, but I didn't appreciate watching Jinbei carry Kuro around for over half the episode, with an idiotic plan of going back to Edo,
before being quickly defeated and Kuro being forced back into the well

cajunator

Banned
That's the sad thing about Japanese voice acting - there is a constant churn because they are also expected to be idols as well. And once you get past a certain age, throwing on a school uniform and prancing around on stage becomes sad.

Thats what happened to goddess Halko Momoi :(
Shes still the best though.

Ryuukan

Friendly reminder to all that iTunes Radio is GodRadio

56kz93x.jpg

I was wondering if you were going to say that Yamato also features an after school band or something. ;)
But does K-onGAF likes science fiction pew pew stuff? I guess we'll see. lol

Honestly, I don't think it will make much of a dent this year as well, simply because of the fact that it isn't simulcast and there's no temporal link that brings everyone together. The only way you are discovering the show is being a hardcore fan and learning about it through osmosis whenever one of the BDs are released. It has a somewhat giant thread on animesuki at least, but we all know what happens in those threads!
(I have no idea!)

The animesuki Yamato 2199 thread is basically a group of hardcore Yamato fans who discuss the relation to the original and analyze the technical details of the setting.

Man, I guess dubbing live action TV doesn't require you to be an idol of any kind. lol

Age doesn't matter so much for guys.

Articalys

Oh right, Aniplex started putting their recent anison music up on iTunes US a while back, so naturally it would show up in Radio.

It pretty much works like Pandora, right?

jman2050

This may surprise you but I can't actually relate to Watamote because, not to toot my own horn, I was pretty popular in Secondary School. Well at least well known. Even came across someone the other day via a friend (yes I do have a few of those) who was apparently two years below me who knew who I was and still remembered me.

It's only during these post Uni years that I've become the shadow of my former self and entered the dirge of anime.

I was rarely bullied after middle school (and even then not more than normal), I've never had much of an issue making friends, in fact I still have friends today that I do things with and even friends in other states that I'll visit and talk to occasionally, and I have a strong relationship with all of my family members.

I still have social anxiety (among other things), have trouble speaking and connecting to people in general and can relate to (most) of Tomoko's insecurities completely.

You are a product of your environment, but only to a point and not a smidge more.

cajunator

Banned
Oh right, Aniplex started putting their recent anison music up on iTunes US a while back, so naturally it would show up in Radio.

It pretty much works like Pandora, right?

I like Pandora a lot. I dont like Itunes but my pursuit of cute knows few bounds.

I was rarely bullied after middle school (and even then not more than normal), I've never had much of an issue making friends, in fact I still have friends today that I do things with and even friends in other states that I'll visit and talk to occasionally, and I have a strong relationship with all of my family members.

I still have social anxiety (among other things), have trouble speaking and connecting to people in general and can relate to (most) of Tomoko's insecurities completely.

You are a product of your environment, but only to a point and not a smidge more.

Agreed.
Social anxiety can be somewhat overcome but its a pretty gradual process and not a complete one. I will always be a little awkward and nervous dealing with others but at least I can function.

Metrotab

Banned
Middle school destroyed most of my social confidence. It took around 3 years to start getting them back. Ever since I've been on the path of progress, especially after changing majors in college, a tremendously good decision in retrospect. I am now much more in tune with myself and my social rhythm.

Those inner scars are now simply part of the fabric of my life. And Watamote was really good at portraying that kind of self-doubt an awkward teenager puts on himself.

I was whatever in middle school. Not super popular, but I had friends. Didn't get bullied by the other kids, but the parents and teachers REALLY hated me. This was more elementary than middle, but I was super ADHD and a danger to myself and others, a reputation that kind of stuck for a while, which lead to some disability-related discrimination against me by adults. Of course, this also meant a lot of people knew me, even if it was just as "that kid that's getting sent to the principal again." I guess a bunch of people found that amusing/funny, because a bunch would say hi to me in the hallway and I would always feel super awkward because I didn't know their names. So my school life was basically few friends, many acquaintances.

A nice conclusion to the final mini arc this season, some heartfelt moments
though Alis at the end felt unnecessary
. This show quickly became my favourite of the summer bunch and I'm glad it managed to stay that way till the very end. I hope we get more next year.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The character award for Get High All Day Erry Day this season goes to Service x Service's Chihaya.

NBFyCPX.jpg

Metrotab

Banned
Watamote - 12 (END)

I've layed out my thoughts about this series in previous posts, so I won't go over that again, but I very much enjoyed it.

Not only does the story deserve credit, but this was an amazing adaptation too. I rate it 8/10.

cnet128

Banned
Oh god you guys I just did a quick count of how many Autumn anime I want to at least check out the first episode of, and the total came to 26. TWENTY-SIX.

This season I only managed to drop, like, one out of all the shows I checked out. If the same thing happens next season I might actually die. Especially since unlike this season, I'll be watching three US shows weekly in addition to my mountain of anime.

I'm going to have to make an active effort to actually drop stuff this time >.> I'M SO BAD AT THAT.

(Oh, and happy birthday Kuwabara!)

cajunator

Banned
Makoto is such a goddess!!!

Takane is nice too :)

Yeah. They both are!

Oh god you guys I just did a quick count of how many Autumn anime I want to at least check out the first episode of, and the total came to 26. TWENTY-SIX.

This season I only managed to drop, like, one out of all the shows I checked out. If the same thing happens next season I might actually die. Especially since unlike this season, I'll be watching three US shows weekly in addition to my mountain of anime.

I'm going to have to make an active effort to actually drop stuff this time >.> I'M SO BAD AT THAT.

(Oh, and happy birthday Kuwabara!)

Youll survive but man, thats a lot of animu to watch >_

Branduil

Bit rubbish frankly. It was literally a trace over the Baccano OP with all the characters replaces with AoT ones. That's it. They didn't even try to make the backgrounds match the show.

This is actually the OP for season 2. It switches genres a bit.

Metrotab

Banned
AIR - 13 (Recap)

It's actually nice to see the cliff notes version of the plot after getting the resolution.

It's odd how different AIR is from the other Key works. It barely registers in the romance genre.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 30

Goddammit, fuck the status quo. Couldn't they have just let Seki-sensei be happy and continue to see this guy without shipping him off to New York? Fuck. How much would things change if this guy stuck around?

Also Seki-sensei looked amazing with her hair up like that. And she looked surprisingly good in those clothes. Still good to see her riding that motorcycle and to just see that the old Seki-sensei is still there in full.

Gintama Episode 27 – Some Things Can’t Be Cut with a Sword

I dont understand what happened with the last three episodes, like theyve all been so good and memorable. This one especially providing one of my favorite type of situations for the Gintama series
Odd Jobs Gin working with the key members of the Shinsengumi. They really feel like the more well thought out and interesting episodes of the franchise thus far

Though
is sensei really dead? Didnt realize he would actually kill of characters especially one taking care of the kids like that, Really sad

Soma

Uchouten Kazoku Ep. 12

So this scene had me dying of laughter.

Fantastic episode and an excellent follow-up to all the tension from the previous episodes. This show has managed to be pretty consistently enjoyable throughout its run so I'm looking forward to how they manage to close this out.

cnet128

Banned
Shingeki no Kyojin 24

Wow, I can certainly see why people were going on about the animation in this episode. This is how Manoeuvre Equipment battles were meant to look. Just look at Mikasa zipping around there. She wins all the badass points. No, wait, there aren't any badass points left, she already won them all a long time ago. Oh well.

I actually caught up on the latest four chapters of the manga right before watching this episode (I'm so bad at keeping up-to-date with monthly series), and I'm really enjoying the developments on that side of things, but actually a lot of the content of this episode felt like it connected pretty neatly with the recent events in the manga.

MANGA SPOILERS
Though Eren's mental struggles in this episode were heavily embellished compared to the manga, the big mental breakthrough that he achieved at the end of it all, escaping from his uncertainty by embracing his primal hatred for the Titans and his drive to kill them no matter who they might be, seemed to connect all too well to the shockingly violent attitude he took when facing up to the duo who abducted him in the recent manga events.

Similarly, Armin's anime-original comment about how Ani must have some powerful motivation that allows her to abandon her humanity seemed to link up quite strongly with Bertolt's anguished cries in a recent chapter about how he never wanted to be a murderer, and fully acknowledges his guilt, but his task was nevertheless something that had to be done.

And Mikasa's brutal split-second decision this episode to sacrifice either herself or Armin to get Eren to safety reminded me strongly of the similarly harsh judgements she's been making recently in the manga, such as telling Krista to choose between saving Eren and being her ally, or saving Ymir and being her enemy.

Sunday Without God 12 [END]

I really liked this series up to the last few episodes, which I really didn't care for. And the ending here was kind of abrupt. The episodes I enjoyed the most were easily around the mid-point, when the group
visited the city of Ortus, where everyone was dead

Not a bad series, but it doesn't stand up to some of the other summer shows like C3 and Eccentric Family.

I'm checking out maybe six or seven shows, and probably will only watch three or four unless I get goaded into watching something I've somehow overlooked.

I've gotten picky lately. Although the most I think I've ever done at once was like nine.

Code:Breaker 2-13

I'm not in the right mood to be writing up extended impressions, so I'll just say this is one of the best action series I've seen. Consistently excellent direction and animation - some of those effects were out of this world - and a thrilling narrative arc which was tightly planned and executed. Yasuhiro Irie really outdid himself here, with likely his best work to date. Somehow over the course of the show it transitioned from being silly flamboyant melodrama I mostly laughed with to being serious melodrama I was fully invested in. If you haven't seen this yet and you're at all interested in theatrical action, you should make sure to watch this.

The Prime Minister is a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom