• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

As long as you aren't adverse to long shows in general, both are entirely worth it, although with Urusei Yatsura you have to be patient and wait until season 2(ep 22+) for it to start getting good.

No, nothing like that. I guess part of it is I don't really marathon shows like many people posting in AnimeGaf seem to. As much as I like Sailor Moon I only watched an episode a day and many people here seem to watch five or six or more at a time often. At that rate I might have just gotten burnt out on the show.

I'm watching quite a few shows already, to me anyway, and I don't want to seem to get overwhelmed either. It's supposed to be for fun or enjoyment not some job or chore you feel you have to complete.

That and some long running shows are okay in that you can come back after a long break and still know what's going on but others you seem to have to be paying more attention and if you take too long a break you could forget different plot points.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No, nothing like that. I guess part of it is I don't really marathon shows like many people posting in AnimeGaf seem to. As much as I like Sailor Moon I only watched an episode a day and many people here seem to watch five or six or more at a time often. At that rate I might have just gotten burnt out on the show.

I'm watching quite a few shows already, to me anyway, and I don't want to seem to get overwhelmed either. It's supposed to be for fun or enjoyment not some job or chore you feel you have to complete.
Well, in my case when I'm dumping time into a show it's rarely a chore. I marathon because I'm having fun.

That and some long running shows are okay in that you can come back after a long break and still know what's going on but others you seem to have to be paying more attention and if you take too long a break you could forget different plot points.
UY is more like a Japanese Simpsons than anything else. There's continuity but episodic comedy/drama is its main focus. Doremi is more like Sailor Moon where there's a balance between overarching plot and per-episode antics.

zeroshiki

It also bombed and Takahata got reduced to doing 30-sec segments for indie circlejerks and dubbing french films. See!

I'm actually quite concerned that Kaguya-hime won't make its investment back. Assuming what Suzuki said about The Wind Rises' budget is true and considering the effort put into making it, it probably needs to be the No.2 movie of the year to make its money back.

Then again, this is likely Takahata's retirement movie anyway so better he go out with a bang.

Nafe

Well, in my case when I'm dumping time into a show it's rarely a chore. I marathon because I'm having fun.

UY is more like a Japanese Simpsons than anything else. There's continuity but episodic comedy/drama is its main focus. Doremi is more like Sailor Moon where there's a balance between overarching plot and per-episode antics.

Well just recently I went back through Evangelion like fertygo is doing as I had just seen the first few and last few episodes and missed the middle, which was about half the show. By some crazy miracle I also avoided spoilers for these episodes after all these years,haha.

I can kind of see what you mean then as I watched three episodes in a day about three, maybe four times. Despite its quirks Eva is still one of my favorite shows. I forgot how awful EOE Shinji is though...

I'm actually quite concerned that Kaguya-hime won't make its investment back. Assuming what Suzuki said about The Wind Rises' budget is true and considering the effort put into making it, it probably needs to be the No.2 movie of the year to make its money back.

Then again, this is likely Takahata's retirement movie anyway so better he go out with a bang.

I'm sure Ghibli can afford to lose a little money for Takahata's sake.

Phi Brain 37

First Nonoha and now the council president gets an episode the show is really expanding the secondary characters lately. Also dang wasn't expecting that ending
him putting on the replica ring and completely losing control of it instantly... okay I expected him losing control but I half expected him to solve the puzzle without it

cajunator

Banned
Her Wikipedia just ends at 2011. Wow!

Tell that to Frank Cipaldi!

Yeah. Her career is nearly over :(

The breast kind!

The breast kind!

The breast kind!

Yeah I figured as such.

No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Episode 12 Season End

How she wished her school life was and the actual scenes through flashbacks was just sad. Holy shit at the how she smelled part.

The part with the cockroach was so weirdly animated. CG everywhere. It was obvious how that was going to go wrong.

The running scene made me spit out my drink.

I'm expecting that there is going to be Kuruko and Imai Yuri doujin now.

The last episode had some interesting effects and was actually rather sad. It was a fitting "end" in that it wasnt one. Par for the course.

zeroshiki

The Chuuni movie has apparently already made 120 million yen in its 10 days in theaters. The estimate is for it to settle in at around 200 million putting it just below the Nanoha movie and making it the 13th biggest late-night anime to movie adaptation ever (not really impressive).

AnoHana is holding strong on its 19th day with 660 million making it the 4th biggest late-night anime to movie adaptation ever (impressive) and is more than poised to take down Macross F for 3rd place. Disappearance at 2nd place is probably unrealistic, though.

In other news, Kaze Tachinu fell to 3rd place this week, falling to Despicable Me 2 and ATARU. It has now made 11 billion and nearly 9 million million have gone to see it.

Articalys

The Chuuni movie has apparently already made 120 million yen in its 10 days in theaters. The estimate is for it to settle in at around 200 million putting it just below the Nanoha movie and making it the 13th biggest late-night anime to movie adaptation ever (not really impressive).

AnoHana is holding strong on its 19th day with 660 million making it the 4th biggest late-night anime to movie adaptation ever (impressive) and is more than poised to take down Macross F for 3rd place. Disappearance at 2nd place is probably unrealistic, though.

In other news, Kaze Tachinu fell to 3rd place this week, falling to Despicable Me 2 and ATARU. It has now made 11 billion and nearly 9 million million have gone to see it.
Ignoring the Eva movies, I'm curious how your source's all-time list differs from something's. For one, 200 million is not what I'd call "just below" the 380 million that Nanoha 1st has on that list.

edit: unless you're just using Yaraon's list, which probably just has a different definition of "late-night".
Code:
累計  初動 封切館 公開日  
19.0億 3.16億 137館 11/12/03 けいおん
*8.5億 0.89億 *24館 10/02/06 ハルヒ
*7.0億 1.18億 *38館 11/02/26 マクF後
*6.5億 1.98億 *64館 13/08/31 あの花
*6.5億 0.88億 *30館 09/11/21 マクF前
*6.0億 1.18億 *70館 12/09/22 タイバニ
*5.7億 1.39億 *43館 12/10/06 まどか前
*5.5億 1.72億 *43館 12/10/13 まどか後
*5.5億 1.23億 *50館 12/07/14 なのはA's
*5.5億 0.87億 *18館 13/04/20 シュタゲ
*4.9億 1.01億 *30館 13/02/23 禁書
*3.8億 0.61億 *19館 10/01/23 なのは1st

*1.2億 0.56億 *27館 13/09/14 中二病

*3.1億 0.52億 *22館 11/06/04 BASARA
*2.8億 0.38億 *12館 10/01/23 FateUBW
*2.5億 0.23億 **9館 11/03/26 攻殻SAC3D
*2.3億 0.40億 *18館 12/03/17 ストパン

zeroshiki

Ignoring the Eva movies, I'm curious how your source's all-time list differs from something's. For one, 200 million is not what I'd call "just below" the 380 million that Nanoha 1st has on that list.

edit: unless you're just using Yaraon's list, which probably just has a different definition of "late-night".
Code:
累計  初動 封切館 公開日  
19.0億 3.16億 137館 11/12/03 けいおん
*8.5億 0.89億 *24館 10/02/06 ハルヒ
*7.0億 1.18億 *38館 11/02/26 マクF後
*6.5億 1.98億 *64館 13/08/31 あの花
*6.5億 0.88億 *30館 09/11/21 マクF前
*6.0億 1.18億 *70館 12/09/22 タイバニ
*5.7億 1.39億 *43館 12/10/06 まどか前
*5.5億 1.72億 *43館 12/10/13 まどか後
*5.5億 1.23億 *50館 12/07/14 なのはA's
*5.5億 0.87億 *18館 13/04/20 シュタゲ
*4.9億 1.01億 *30館 13/02/23 禁書
*3.8億 0.61億 *19館 10/01/23 なのは1st

*1.2億 0.56億 *27館 13/09/14 中二病

*3.1億 0.52億 *22館 11/06/04 BASARA
*2.8億 0.38億 *12館 10/01/23 FateUBW
*2.5億 0.23億 **9館 11/03/26 攻殻SAC3D
*2.3億 0.40億 *18館 12/03/17 ストパン

I am using yaraon (that's where I get all my news) and I didn't mean "just" as in it almost hits it, I'm using just in the sense that it will come in below it. Although looking at that list right now, its first week lines up with Nanoha and is above BASARA so maybe 350 million is more realistic.

Nafe

There will never be a Hyouka movie :(

Yxb6IPx.jpg

I certainly wouldn't mind a Hyouka movie. Just something more of the show...

Well, I have been thinking of re-watching it so I guess there's that...

zeroshiki

I just had a great idea. Attack on Titan clip show featuring Elen and Rivai's hot springs adventure. Wide release. Goodbye K-On! Movie.

Yeah, its not really a big deal if they lose money on this, I just hope Takahata gets to see his vision realized. They can start worrying about money in the next cycle when the two masters' works are finished.

Takahata's been working on the film for a long time with a small, dedicated team. I'm sure the final product will reflect his vision as much as it possibly can.

Articalys

The Chuuni movie is apparently a cash-in clip show with little new material. I'd rather they not sully the Hyouka property with something like that. (Plus Chuuni made more money than Hyouka)
It's funny because I think, from a pure units point of view, they sold roughly equal in grand totals, but of course since Chu2koi is KyoAni's own property instead of an adaptation they got a larger share of the profits from it. Probably was a reassuring sign for them that their new direction (with Free and Kyokai no Kanata underway at the time) was a good one. Not to mention the fact that it's way more marketable in general.

Phi Brain 38

Really well done episode, the puzzle battle was exciting and seeing
Jikukawa be the villain was a lot of fun.
The reveal that a replica ring can become a real ring if Kaito wears it seems to tie into S1's idea of Kaito potentially destroying the world.

Also I forgot to mention, but last episode showed off Rook and what he's been up to which was cool to check back in with him.

Silver Spoon 11

A nice way to close up this first half of the season.

Wonder if the second half is going to try and cram both Fall and Winter into it since those two are a lot longer than Spring and Summer are.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 32

So wait, Dodo and the others are only that way when they're in the computer? I'm actually okay with that. They're better the way they are.

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm listening to the Shingeki soundtrack, how come nobody has mentioned how absolutely fucking atrocious the mixing is? This shit has some of the worst audio mixing I've heard in years. There's this crappy static in the background for all the songs.

So I'm listening to the Shingeki soundtrack, how come nobody has mentioned how absolutely fucking atrocious the mixing? This shit has some of the worst audio mixing I've heard in years. There's this crappy static in the background for all the songs.

It waas mmentioned back then

Crocodile

So I'm listening to the Shingeki soundtrack, how come nobody has mentioned how absolutely fucking atrocious the mixing is? This shit has some of the worst audio mixing I've heard in years. There's this crappy static in the background for all the songs.

Do you have any examples? Like which songs in particular? Or do you literally mean EVERY single song?

Well, given how bad all the music is, maybe that's an improvement?

Jarmel

Banned
Do you have any examples? Like which songs in particular? Or do you literally mean EVERY single song?

It's definitely prevalent in Vogel im Kafig. It's also there in counter attack mankind. DOA has some of it in the vocal segments. It's not in every song such as army go which sounds fine.

Edit: Also omake has it in the piano solo in the intro. It might not be bad mixing but bad audio recording equipment.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
do most shows get soundtracks? when do they usually come out? normally i wouldn't care but stella c3-bu has music i would actually want to listen to outside the context of the show.

Midonin

Soundtracks are either released as albums, or packaged with the video releases. C3's will be the former.

Though I'm much more interested in character songs, openings and endings. I can appreciate a good piece of BGM, but I like vocal songs more.

Crocodile

It's definitely prevalent in Vogel im Kafig. It's also there in counter attack mankind. DOA has some of it in the vocal segments. It's not in every song such as army go which sounds fine.

Edit: Also omake has it in the piano solo in the intro. It might not be bad mixing but bad audio recording equipment.

I can't say I disagree but it doesn't significantly affect my enjoyment of the songs I like.

Then again I may be weird in that though I agree the music is sometimes used awkwardly on the show itself, I actively like the majority of the soundtrack *shrug*

Girls und Panzer 1-2

I like the idea of the tank perspective of the opening scene, but the execution was a bit awkward. Aside from that, this is a pleasant watch. I'm not really into tanks - I do have an interest in military history but more on the strategy/tactics side than the equipment - but fortunately the show doesn't rely on appealing exclusively to those who are. The cast is large, but fun to watch and there's good chemistry between them. The setting has a lot of oddities (piloting tanks will get you a good husband! we're living on a battleship!) which helps make the show stand out. I'm not that fond of the character designs, but the character animation is really good, much better than I would have expected.

It was odd how Miho seemed to get over her inhibitions about tankery rather quickly.

Syrinx

Girls und Panzer 1-2

I like the idea of the tank perspective of the opening scene, but the execution was a bit awkward. Aside from that, this is a pleasant watch. I'm not really into tanks - I do have an interest in military history but more on the strategy/tactics side than the equipment - but fortunately the show doesn't rely on appealing exclusively to those who are. The cast is large, but fun to watch and there's good chemistry between them. The setting has a lot of oddities (piloting tanks will get you a good husband! we're living on a battleship!) which helps make the show stand out. I'm not that fond of the character designs, but the character animation is really good, much better than I would have expected.

It was odd how Miho seemed to get over her inhibitions about tankery rather quickly.

Battle tactics start to play more of a role later on. The tank battles are the best parts of the show.

Geneijin

What's your sound setup?

Syrinx

Love Lab 10

This episode felt strange. No real overarching stuff, and the stuff that was there didn't really have smooth transitions between them.

Still fun, though. Meeting Eno's brother for the first time was hilarious, and it kinda explained a lot. Scene with Suzu's siblings was pretty funny, but they dragged the doorbell ringing for a bit too long. Also the discovery that Maki has been embezzling funds to buy costumes. She's one corrupt president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom