• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

I was thinking of watching Code:Breaker, in need of a fun action romp.

I guess it's on, but I doubt I'll post much impressions about it.

Has anyone here watched all of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni? I was looking through a couple of anime and it came up and I remembered that I watched it before. So for anyone who has watched it, was that the
true ending to the whole show
? I remember it
ended with the red-haired guy getting Beatrice back to her senses, and then nothing else. So was that it or did they just not show the whole ending in the anime?

I'm just curious because I remember having the hugest headache after watching it because of this.

-Minsc-

Gintama Episode 27 – Some Things Can’t Be Cut with a Sword

I dont understand what happened with the last three episodes, like theyve all been so good and memorable. This one especially providing one of my favorite type of situations for the Gintama series
Odd Jobs Gin working with the key members of the Shinsengumi. They really feel like the more well thought out and interesting episodes of the franchise thus far

Though
is sensei really dead? Didnt realize he would actually kill of characters especially one taking care of the kids like that, Really sad

Tonight on AnimeGAF we continue our series on an unsuspecting anime viewer being enthralled in to the world of Gintama. Observe his sense of confusion. How will he handle the eventual seamless transition between comedy and serious? That will be a story for a future episode.

---

To answer your question,
yes I believe he is dead. Just to warn you, if you cry half easy you will shed tears in future episodes. At the very least you'll have to fight them off.

I'm checking out maybe six or seven shows, and probably will only watch three or four unless I get goaded into watching something I've somehow overlooked.

Same here. I'm kind of relieved that I'm not going to be overloaded with shows this season. I'm sure I'll pick up one or two after they start, but I won't have something new to watch every day. Definitely in for Kill La Kill and Valvrave S2.

Has anyone here watched all of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni? I was looking through a couple of anime and it came up and I remembered that I watched it before. So for anyone who has watched it, was that the
? I remember it
ended with the red-haired guy getting Beatrice back to her senses, and then nothing else. So was that it or did they just not show the whole ending in the anime?

I'm just curious because I remember having the hugest headache after watching it because of this.

I don't believe they ever animated Chiru. That's the second half of the story in the visual novels.

? I remember it

The Umineko anime haphazardly adapts the first half of the VN, episodes 1-4. The second half, Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru, episodes 5-8, were not adapted and are roughly the answer arcs to the question arcs of the first four episodes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Episode 12 Season End

How she wished her school life was and the actual scenes through flashbacks was just sad. Holy shit at the how she smelled part.

The part with the cockroach was so weirdly animated. CG everywhere. It was obvious how that was going to go wrong.

The running scene made me spit out my drink.

I'm expecting that there is going to be Kuruko and Imai Yuri doujin now.

Senyu 26 Fin

The end of part 1 ended pretty much the way it began, with nobody really being a hero but a lot of hilarity happening. Overall this was a very enjoyable parody series and could easily recommend it to anyone. Just the right balance of action, comedy, and story and far better then the first season, 5/5

Trojita

After watching Code:Breaker Episode 1 I had to look up the manga and find out if that scene was as bad in the original source as it was in the anime. It made more sense in the manga but was still fucked up.

It was more obvious the dog was going to die regardless in the manga.

cnet128

Banned
? I remember it

The anime did a pretty decent job, IMO, of adapting the first four arcs of Umineko. However, it's not an easy story to adapt by any means, and the inevitable simplifications that had to be applied to make it work in an anime format resulted in a largely negative fan reaction to the adaptation. Combine that with the fact that the second half of the series gets even more complex and meta and would be extra difficult to adapt, and I think you'll see why a second season never got made.

I get the feeling that the effort was instead directed into the two-part PS3 version of the original visual novel, which was an extremely faithful adaptation, fully-voiced using the cast of the anime (one of the few parts of that adaptation that was well-received) and essentially functions as the "definitive" form of the series.

Trojita

About Watamote

This show can be divisive depending on how you look at it. On one hand it is a show about a girl making stupid mistakes that are often hilarious to us the viewer. On the other hand we are laughing at a girl that likely has several mental problems and really needs help. Someone to talk to other than her brother that doesn't obviously give a shit would be helpful. At what point do we look at character's quirks as endearing, debilitating, or laughable? Sheldon Cooper's quasi-aspergers on Big Bang Theory is the butt of jokes, but at least his life does seem to be alright, mainly because some how the other people in his life stay by him mainly because of Leonard. I still think Kuroki is a terrible person for calling her best friend that doesn't know any better a slut and bitch.

The parts where she tries to plan how she is going to act to become more popular is relatable. A lot of people probably remember thinking like this back in school or still today. From an outside perspective it is easy to see how her delusions of grandeur are going to fall right on her face. It doesn't help that she blames other people and has a warped sense of reality.

Also does that family have some kind of problem with not getting enough sleep and eyelid bags?

zeroshiki

Aoi Bungaku - END

"No Longer Human" and the two tales of Akutagawa suffer from similar problems, I think. I might be talking out my ass here, having not read either of the original tales, but I think the technical skill with which the stories are reassembled by the directors still sacrifices some of what made those original stories great. For "No Longer Human", I wonder if there was a compelling internal monologue that couldn't survive the transition to the visual medium. For "The Spider's Thread" and "The Hell Screen", I think that even the incredible art mustered there can't replace what the imagination can conjure from a few well-chosen words when discussing the abstract, horrifying unknown.

This was an excellent series of reviews and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I only have one thing to add and that is with your observation on No Longer Human here. I've read, maybe, half of it (sorry) and I can say that its pretty much made up of internal monologue. From his musings to himself, Catcher in the Rye-style, we get to understand how his character is basically disconnected from reality and does what he does. In fact, one of the first things I thought of when I found out there was an adaptation was how could they possibly translate all that internal monologue onto the screen.

The first Bungaku Shoujo volume deals with No Longer Human and its a fun take :p The writing is obviously not as sophisticated but its handled well and is interesting. You should give it a shot if you're so inclined.

jgminto

Ponyo

I haven't watched a Miyazaki film since Howl's Moving Castle when I was a young lad so I thought it'd be time to catch up. This might be the sweetest and most heart warming film I've ever seen. I was absorbed the whole way through. I had the biggest smile on my face all through the part where Ponyo
escapes from her father's castle.

Trojita

ZALdgo2.jpg

I saw a Servant x Service doujin that I was entirely incapable of finishing. It was completely vanilla, but it still felt so wrong.

Not so much if the doujin itself is bad or not, it's just the base of Watamote bothers me to the point that I can't really look at lewd material for it. It just makes me feel disgusted.

Syrinx

Love Lab 9

This was a very good episode. Very good mix of drama and humor. I liked that scene where Maki and Riko were sitting there in the student council room, talking about everything they hated about Sayo, trying to accept her leaving the club and rationalize it as a good thing, only to end up devising a plan to save her and keep her in. Also liked that flashback at the end about Eno asking to be able to put Sayo on her friends list, and Sayo just laughing. Maki appearing as Makio during the hearing was hilarious though. At first I thought she meant Huggy when she talked about bringing "him" out.

So yeah, they went up and beyond for Sayo. One of the best episodes so far.

Sunday Without God 12 Fin

Well that was a pretty good ending to a pretty great series. A twist in the final episode caught me off guard though it does seem to give the series a major plot hole in the fact that
If it was truly Alis that died 14 years ago creating the loop, why is it he was able to leave the loop world in a physical body but Dee was only able to leave as a ghost body?
. It's pretty obvious the story isn't over as the anime just kinda stops instead of truly ending though I dunno if we'll ever see further adaptation of the LNs. It would take me awhile to do a solid write up/analysis of the series but I'll give it a 4/5. Some really interesting writing stuff marred by some occasional slow stretches and an ending that doesn't feel like it resolves the story mark it down for me.

Joe Molotov

Not so much if the doujin itself is bad or not, it's just the base of Watamote bothers me to the point that I can't really look at lewd material for it. It just makes me feel disgusted.

If Watamote doujins made you feel disgusted and awkward, then they must be pretty faithful to the source material. :p

zeroshiki

Ponyo

I haven't watched a Miyazaki film since Howl's Moving Castle when I was a young lad so I thought it'd be time to catch up. This might be the sweetest and most heart warming film I've ever seen. I was absorbed the whole way through. I had the biggest smile on my face all through the part where Ponyo
escapes from her father's castle.

Ponyo thoroughly confused me when I watched it because it seemed to have no middle or end. It just happened. The use of colors is incredible though and, of course, that Ghibli animation.

Have you seen any of the other Ghibli stuff? I mean, you list Howl's and Ponyo but how about Spirited Away or Totoro? Ponyo was Miyazaki's attempt to re-create the whimsy of Totoro but nothing really beats the original.

Aoi Bungaku - END

It's kind of hard to believe that this got made. Who would be crazy enough to finance a series of completely disconnected anime adaptations of stories at least 60 years old that have no attraction to the traditional anime-buying public? This isn't even like one of those out-there manga adaptations that might be trying to sell something. I thought vanity projects like this didn't happen anymore.

Yeah, it's always great to see experimental series like this where anime can be treated as an artform and not just a business. Even if, on reflection, I did not enjoy the majority of episodes in Aoi Bungaku. But as you say, "Run, Melos" alone justifies its existence.

Ponyo thoroughly confused me when I watched it because it seemed to have no middle or end. It just happened. The use of colors is incredible though and, of course, that Ghibli animation.

Ponyo has no story, or rather, the story that it does has is so weak that it may well as not be there. Its biggest failing is that it clings to the trappings of a traditional narrative while not being able or willing to fill them with anything. Very pretty, of course, and the characters have some charm to them.

The Umineko anime haphazardly adapts the first half of the VN, episodes 1-4. The second half, Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru, episodes 5-8, were not adapted and are roughly the answer arcs to the question arcs of the first four episodes.

The anime did a pretty decent job, IMO, of adapting the first four arcs of Umineko. However, it's not an easy story to adapt by any means, and the inevitable simplifications that had to be applied to make it work in an anime format resulted in a largely negative fan reaction to the adaptation. Combine that with the fact that the second half of the series gets even more complex and meta and would be extra difficult to adapt, and I think you'll see why a second season never got made.

I get the feeling that the effort was instead directed into the two-part PS3 version of the original visual novel, which was an extremely faithful adaptation, fully-voiced using the cast of the anime (one of the few parts of that adaptation that was well-received) and essentially functions as the "definitive" form of the series.

Well that explains the weird ending then. I don't know what it was about the show but it went at a very weird pace. At one moment I'm in the middle of a really interesting mystery of "
who's the killer in the mansion
" story. Then I'm in a
magical goatmen killing people with magical swords and 7 girls turning into daggers story

While I'm not sure if the anime was adapted well from the game since I didn't play it. From a first time viewer's eyes I thought it was all over the place. Even though I say this, overall I did enjoy it. The mystery and learning about the characters more must have got me hooked.

Also Maria's random laughs/smile and
going a little crazy later on
. Which is something I wasn't expecting.

Ponyo is significantly more ambitious (and satisfying) than other Ghibli films in terms of the animation.

It's got the loosest animation of any Ghibli film, certainly. That alone doesn't make it satisfying as a film, though. If Miyazaki had been brave enough to go more abstract I think it would have been more successful artistically.

Nafe

That's the sad thing about Japanese voice acting - there is a constant churn because they are also expected to be idols as well. And once you get past a certain age, throwing on a school uniform and prancing around on stage becomes sad.

Yeah, I guess it's like anything where you think of maybe some singer or band or a movie star and they want to keep going and some of them do well at an older age and others you just think should retire already,haha.

I think of someone like Kotono Mitsuishi who did the voice of Sailor Moon and she still does the voice of some big characters like that or Misato in the Eva Rebuild movies but otherwise it's just the odd bit part(I think), like now she voices the mother character or something.

Aya Hisakawa, who did the voice for Ami in Sailor Moon, seems to still be in quite a few shows though. She has some small bit parts like voicing Ai Kayano's characters Mom in Chihayafuru but still other bigger roles like Niimi in Yamato 2199 or Cure Moonlight in Heartcatch PreCure! She might be the only Sailor Senshi to have voiced a PreCure, I'd have to check.

Those 2 minute things aren't really anything more than just commercials for the manga. They're on youtube iirc. But really, you should watch KnT. :p

Ah, Okay. I'll just have to add KnT to my big list of shows to watch at some point.

I was wondering if you were going to say that Yamato also features an after school band or something. ;)
But does K-onGAF likes science fiction pew pew stuff? I guess we'll see. lol

Haha. Well they like cute girls so I posted this picture here:
xoLEQJF.jpg

Cute girls doing cute pew pew pew things? Haha, I don't know.

amishpriest99 started the show earlier and seemed to like it but I don't know if he stuck with it. Have you gotten zeroshiki to watch it yet? What about Kurt or CrazyCanuck from your podcast, do they watch it at all? Do they even read this thread at all? From the bits I've listened to it doesn't seem like it.

Speaking of the songs, I like how the opening to the show has that kind of retro feel to it in its music. I'm just getting to the halfway point in the show and I just LOVE the new ending theme that started in episode 11. Really nice and beautiful.

Honestly, I don't think it will make much of a dent this year as well, simply because of the fact that it isn't simulcast and there's no temporal link that brings everyone together. The only way you are discovering the show is being a hardcore fan and learning about it through osmosis whenever one of the BDs are released. It has a somewhat giant thread on animesuki at least, but we all know what happens in those threads!
(I have no idea!)

I hope more people watch it anyway. It really is the best piece of classic science fiction that I've seen in years (not counting that Time Jam show on Crunchroll).

Hopefully it does okay. Ultimately though I feel the same in that I'm not so much worried about where it would place but more interested in making people aware of the show and hoping they watch it and like it. I don't know what that Time Jam show is, I'll have to look it up.

I might end up checking out that thread on Animesuki later as well. Haha, I don't know what happens either but I don't think it's as bad as people here make it seem. It's not like AnimeGaf is devoid of wife wars or weird posts or anything like that either. I do like it that certain members or the community mostly as a whole does make me more aware of some more niche shows that I otherwise might not have known about though.

Man, I guess dubbing live action TV doesn't require you to be an idol of any kind. lol

Haha. I've just been watching my first Toku shows such as Kamen Rider, and even in Akibaranger actually, and the different monsters with people in suits are sometimes voiced by people from Anime or games. It seems like they just do whatever as far as voice acting: Anime, games, toku, dubbing of foreign TV shows, movies and games again.

Actually, the seiyuu Haruka Tomatsu is voicing one of the lead villains in the Super Sentai show Kyoryuger and she's even in the show herself a couple episodes when supposed to be disguised in human form and she's an idol there,haha.

The animesuki Yamato 2199 thread is basically a group of hardcore Yamato fans who discuss the relation to the original and analyze the technical details of the setting.

I still think I'll maybe take a look at the thread out of curiosity.

Midonin

Actually, the seiyuu Haruka Tomatsu is voicing one of the lead villains in the Super Sentai show Kyoryuger and she's even in the show herself a couple episodes when supposed to be disguised in human form and she's an idol there,haha.
I am a self-admitted Candelira fanboy. Doubly so when Tomatsu was in that gothic lolita outfit recently.

Shergal

It's got the loosest animation of any Ghibli film, certainly. That alone doesn't make it satisfying as a film, though. If Miyazaki had been brave enough to go more abstract I think it would have been more successful artistically.

Yes, and its stylizations of water is really enjoyable and varied.
I think the biggest problem with Ponyo is that it starts to drag a bit around the middle, when they go on with the boat, and the incredibly underwhelming ending. I agree with your comment, but of course they want the film to do well at box office so it's a tough balance.

The other visually adventurous Ghibli is of course Yamadas, with a style I like even more than Ponyo. That was one great film too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i think the overwhelmingly positive critical response to ponyo was what made me stop reading movie reviews.

Yes, and its stylizations of water is really enjoyable and varied.
I think the biggest problem with Ponyo is that it starts to drag a bit around the middle, when they go on with the boat, and the incredibly underwhelming ending. I agree with your comment, but of course they want the film to do well at box office so it's a tough balance.

The other visually adventurous Ghibli is of course Yamadas, with a style I like even more than Ponyo. That was one great film too.

Yamadas is a film that actually went with a non-traditional film structure, instead choosing thematically organized vignettes as more appropriate for the material, and was the more successful for going that route. Just another example of why Takahata is the superior Ghibli director!

Nafe

Speaking of old VAs, apparently Fumi Hirano, the actress who played Lum in Urusei Yatsura, did Keito in Tsuritama.

Neat. Urusei Yatsura is another one of those shows I'd like to watch sometime. It looks pretty long though so I'm not sure when. The same thing goes for Doremi.

I am a self-admitted Candelira fanboy. Doubly so when Tomatsu was in that gothic lolita outfit recently.

Yeah, she was pretty cute there. At first I wasn't sure about the show as it seemed maybe too silly for me but it's kind of a fun show now. I think my personal favorite character is Utchi.

I haven't seen this past weeks episode yet but last weeks with
all the team together was pretty cool. Seeing Tessai use his martial arts and Ramirez basically just body slamming people was fun to watch,haha.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 31

Pretty sweet beginning of this episode between Aiko and Doremi's mother. Also Hana was adorable with that harmonica.

One thing: shouldn't Majo Rin have heard the name "Akatsuki" while spying on the wizard world? That's pretty important information there. But I guess they're setting up for a hard-hitting revelation for Doremi that the boy she has a crush on has sinister intentions of kidnapping Hana. Also his friends are dorks.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Neat. Urusei Yatsura is another one of those shows I'd like to watch sometime. It looks pretty long though so I'm not sure when. The same thing goes for Doremi.
As long as you aren't adverse to long shows in general, both are entirely worth it, although with Urusei Yatsura you have to be patient and wait until season 2(ep 22+) for it to start getting good.

Shergal

Yamadas is a film that actually went with a non-traditional film structure, instead choosing thematically organized vignettes as more appropriate for the material, and was the more successful for going that route. Just another example of why Takahata is the superior Ghibli director!

It also bombed and Takahata got reduced to doing 30-sec segments for indie circlejerks and dubbing french films. See!

Mushibugyo - 25

Alright episode..I'm not sure what i would have thought about the way it ended without being spoilered first but overall my reaction to the episode aremostly disapointment.

Jinbei tried , he really tried but without any payoff, really

and the one character that could have helped (from the start ) finally showed up for a cool scene but that's it .
Mugai tried ( nice try )

But really the Stupidity award goes to this guy .:

There is stupidity and there is what this poor character have done ... if you think about it this whole arc he was making all the wrong decisions
And what the heck was that stupid as hell secret technique?? your opponent is a flying beast that can wistand schokwave and can blast a moutain with his hand... What the heck did you think your "technique" would do ?

What a pathetic way of dying.

Trojita

I watched the Urusei Yatsura movie (With the turtle) without seeing the tv show. Was kind of confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom