• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free - 12:
n00g.png

Dat drama.

Goddamn that was cheesiest anime episode I have seen in long long time. Haha. At least I got good laughs out of it.

cnet128

Banned
Symphogear G 12

NO, NO, THIS ISN'T OK. So that shitty loli who's name I can't remember was killed by a stray scythe attack from the other loli and goddess Finé had her time to shine and take over the world but noooooooooooooooooooooo she sacrifices herself so she can continue being a shit. Miyukichi's only non-flashback appearance in the show JBGOUSEBHARGHEIUFVBJADF BERBH.

Saving the lives of wonderful lolis is basically the greatest cause imaginable. Miyukichi character has her priorities right.

Hunter x Hunter 97

And that's the end of that chapter. Watching the Spiders annihilate the fuck out of everything in their path was a fun little distraction and all (lol
summoning suns
), but I'm glad we're getting back to Gon and Killua and the real meat of this arc next week.

Chronoexe

She was alright in vol 1-2, sucked in vol 3-4-5-6, sucked in vol 7 except for the fight scene.

Fixed, She is just there watching tv with the other girls in vol 5-6

Just hope Alice doesn't become like her.

She's a goddess. I suddenly hate the first 14 episodes now for not having her in them.
Except for the first episode for about 5 seconds.

Also, I think I'm getting this. - Sword Art Online - Suguha Kirigaya 1/8 Complete Figure(Preorder)

Oh and the PV for Overfly is nice.

Nice.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 21

A little calm before the storm.
Izuru is totally gonna sacrifice himself to fight Jiart, let's be honestly here. He has to fight him, I'm looking forward to the fights though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I hope Funi licenses and releases a dub of the Steins;Gate movie eventually. I'd love to see an english dub of it soon.

Branduil

I just read the manga and went back to watch the fight scenes in the anime.

That works too.

If there's one thing AoT proves it's that "faithful" adaptations are not always a good thing. Things which work in a chronologically abstract medium like manga do not always work in a medium with a fixed running time.

Shergal

That works too.

If there's one thing AoT proves it's that "faithful" adaptations are not always a good thing. Things which work in a chronologically abstract medium like manga do not always work in a medium with a fixed running time.

The manga also manages to keep the tone in check, whereas Araki's adaptations is all blown-up and theatrical and feels unnecessarily overdone at times.

Branduil

The manga also manages to keep the tone in check, whereas Araki's adaptations is all blown-up and theatrical and feels unnecessarily overdone at times.

Well that's an Araki problem rather than an adaptation problem.

Of course there are good anime that are almost panel-by-panel reproductions of the original manga, like Monster, but that works because Monster was already written and drawn in a very cinematic, even-paced style. Shounen manga tend to have awful pacing, but it's much less noticeable when you can read a chapter in five minutes.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 22

Some pretty sick action in this episode.
The snacks scene is so fucking unnecessary but it's good to se Ange not acting like an idiot all the time and actually listening to people.

Uh-oh, this is bad. That's one way to keep ya on the edge of your seat.

Girls und Panzer 4

- This is a really fast-paced show. 4 episodes in and we're already at the National Championships.

- Nothing says British like tea.

- I'm really glad the battles are relying on thoughtful strategy as opposed to power levels.

- I was just wondering why the city and its citizens would be willing to accept so much collateral damage from the tank battle when
the one shopkeeper rejoiced that his shop had been hit because now he could build a new one. "I hope they hit my shop too!"
Well played, Girls und Panzer.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Of course there are good anime that are almost panel-by-panel reproductions of the original manga, like Monster, but that works because Monster was already written and drawn in a very cinematic, even-paced style. Shounen manga tend to have awful pacing, but it's much less noticeable when you can read a chapter in five minutes.
Generally, that "pacing" only becomes awful on naive translation. After all, two of Osamu Tezuka's key innovations was letting comic panels use cinematic techniques while also not being beholden to cinematic timekeeping. Events can speed up or slow down at whim, because it's just a sequence of comic panels rather than a running video with synced audio. Film can only do such things sparingly.

Branduil

Generally, that "pacing" only becomes awful on naive translation. After all, two of Osamu Tezuka's key innovations was letting comic panels use cinematic techniques while also not being beholden to cinematic timekeeping. Events can speed up or slow down at whim, because it's just a sequence of comic panels rather than a running video with synced audio. Film can only do such things sparingly.

Yeah, I think the big problem with straight up adaptations of things like Attack on Titan is that they heavily abuse talking-is-a-free-action. You don't notice this while reading a manga, because your mind just accepts it at face value, but then in the anime, you have characters doing nothing for minutes while just talking.

CorvoSol

Zegapain 1

Well, where to start? First of all, let me take a moment to congratulate Majestic Prince. I mean, CG robots look like shit no matter what you do, and they probably will forever and ever and I wish they'd all die a horrible death and that the fingers of people who thought they were a good idea might turn to solid cement, but compared to the CG in this episode, MJP's CG doesn't look half bad, like it's come a long way.

The plot kinda reminds me of a cross between Rinne and Digimon, I guess, in that it is about an upbeat kid who wants members for his school club and also about a digital game world. That said there hasn't been any :Burton yet, and the mechs aren't as awesome as War Greymon.

Still, I've seen worst first episodes than that.

Going back to the Haruhi thing for a moment - I've actually been wondering on that front. What is preventing them from animating more material? As I understand it there's quite a number of books still unanimated and some of them sound really neat.

Moreover, what is going on with the LNs? I know that Tanigawa hasn't finished out the series yet, but I also haven't heard any talk at all of what's going on with the next volume or when it will end. Has there been any news on that front at all?

If there's another four-year gap between volumes, I think people might lose their shit completely.
emot-v.gif

Dresden

Going back to the Haruhi thing for a moment - I've actually been wondering on that front. What is preventing them from animating more material? As I understand it there's quite a number of books still unanimated and some of them sound really neat.

Moreover, what is going on with the LNs? I know that Tanigawa hasn't finished out the series yet, but I also haven't heard any talk at all of what's going on with the next volume or when it will end. Has there been any news on that front at all?

If there's another four-year gap between volumes, I think people might lose their shit completely.
emot-v.gif

Just read this.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 6

DqMyUus.jpg
bqb0ifC.jpg

Ha haaaaa

So they want to see
Hana again, but the Queen appears before them, thinking that they're under Big Brother protocol but no. It's for the pastry test.
(not sure if that's worth spoiler tagging, but w/e)

In any case, first test is to make a scone... with the same exact taste as the one she had 200 years ago, so time for some time travel. I don't why this seems a bit ridiculous, but I'm rolling with it.
It's scones her mama use to make, so... this is going places. I swear, Motto! sure likes mentioning people dying a lot, which kinda makes this episode a bit more emotional. They actually learned from the proctor's dead mother to make the scones, and would've failed if Hazuki didn't remember the milk tea. And got her to cry. She "allows" them to see Hana in secret, but notice she's having issues rolling. Doremi did something stupid by shouting, causing Hana to cry out Mama. They can't even be with each other ._.

Articalys

By the way, this set of questions and answers showed up on Robin Williams' Reddit AMA today:
I heard you're a fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion! Are there any other anime series that you enjoy?

Oh god, Ghost in the Shell. Akira. Blood: The Last Vampire. But mostly Ghost in the Shell.

GitS, awesome - but for a guy who loves family, why not Fullmetal Alchemist?

I think I have a copy but I've never seen it! But I love Cowboy Bebop!

[in response to another question asking if he would ever want to be Gendo in a live-action Eva movie] No, but if they ever make Ghost in the Shell I forget the name of the old man character [probably Aramaki] but that would be a wonderful part to play.

CorvoSol

I'm not Jex, but my opinion is no based on what you've said about the show.

Well, I mean, I hated the show for
Killing Eren
but my opinion was turned around
when he came back to life
and then crashed again when
the show stopped giving a shit about doing anything
. I won't deny that they'd have to do a pretty good job to make me care again, but this episode seems to have gotten enough praise to make me wonder if that job was done.

I just can't put up with the show being consistently terrible the way it has been for like, 12 episodes.

Branduil

Well, I mean, I hated the show for
Killing Eren
but my opinion was turned around
when he came back to life
and then crashed again when
the show stopped giving a shit about doing anything
. I won't deny that they'd have to do a pretty good job to make me care again, but this episode seems to have gotten enough praise to make me wonder if that job was done.

I just can't put up with the show being consistently terrible the way it has been for like, 12 episodes.
Which episode did you drop it at?

CorvoSol

Which episode did you drop it at?

The last episode I watched was the one where
The Female Titan, after being prisoner for an entire episode, suddenly has the magic power to summon Titans, and destroys her Titan body but no doubt escapes actual death.
I dropped it because that was some stupid nonsense, because the show had not been good for some time, and because with Victory Gundam on my plate, I just had enough bad shows to watch already.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't see anything wrong with this.
The numerous liberties taken by the dub are all kind of rotten. There are actually certain instances when both the pacing and the meaning of the translation are just completely off. Like...characters making different faces than they should off. Maybe my stomach is just pretty weak when it comes to Funimation-isms and their brand of slang.

emot-v.gif
As someone who have read all volumes , i can safely say that the author ran out of ideas.
IMO the last volume (10) so far was yet again a golden egg , but i feel like the chicken is dead now.It doesn't feel like there is any impact in what 's happening ... When you dish out an ending like this and you can't deliver afterward i'm losing faith in the writter and fast.

Same link as a answer same time for posting ...
There are so many problems with this business logic... but at the same time, I know it's exactly how the anime business goes down. Yeah, thanks for that.

Business ..
the sad truth beyond fandom & moe...

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 34

Sometimes conflict between characters feels a bit forces, but yeah, it's easy to see how Aiko and Onpu's personalities could conflict like that. I liked how throughout the episode both of them were trying to make up with the other and they were struggling because they're so different. But it all worked out anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom