• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
But it's funny... and that's all that matters.
It still needs to be somewhat discernible, though. Using kanji makes it totally opaque to thread readers, but something like "Korra no Densetsu" is pretty easy to figure out.

That said, the whole point was to shoehorn the title as something germane to the thread, but that's no longer a big deal with this being a community thread and all.

Branduil

Guys! Guys! I think I can come up with a totally accurate reproduction of a conversation between some executives in charge of the Sneaker Bunko light novel brand at Kadokawa!

Executive A: We have a problem.

Executive B: Damn right we do. Nagaru Tanigawa isn't writing any more goddamn Haruhi books!

Executive C: So what? We have a whole library of light novel series! We're not just "the Haruhi guys"!

Executive A: Yeah? What's the most popular series we've got right now that isn't Haruhi?

Executive C: Uhhhhhh... NouCome?

Executive A: I repeat: We have a problem.

Executive B: Nobody cares about us these days. It's all about those Dengeki guys. They've got all the series that people are actually reading; we've got squat.

Executive C: Okay, okay, no big deal. If we can't get Tanigawa to write more Haruhi, let's just get someone else to make a spinoff series! Easy money, right?!

Executive B: Another Haruhi spinoff? Do you have any idea how many of those we've already done?

Executive A: We're not stretching out that franchise any thinner. End of.

Executive C: Uhhhh...all right, then. If we can't get more Haruhi, we should just get someone to write us another series that's like Haruhi! Pretend it's something shiny and new, while following the exact same formula! That's a surefire recipe for success!

Executive B: Dude, the entire light novel industry has already tried that. There are uninspired Haruhi clones on every shelf of every bookstore. Making another one now isn't going to catch anyone's attention.

Executive A: Yeah, sorry, but that idea's a dead end.

Executive C: Then, uhhhhh...how about we do the opposite? Instead of making a series that's a total copy of Haruhi, but pretending it's not...we could make a series that really hasn't got anything to do with Haruhi, but make it look like it has! Put Haruhi's name in the title! Copy the Haruhi cover art style! Hell, we could even get Tanigawa to endorse it, he owes us that much!

Executive A: ...

Executive B: ...

Executive C: ...

Executive A: What the hell, it's worth a shot.

*one publishing deal later*

Ore no Class ni Haruhi wa Inai
("There Is No Haruhi In My Class")

"Looks like Suzumiya Haruhi isn't going to show up today either." There's an empty seat at the back of the classroom. Rumour has it that there's a mysterious beautiful girl who never shows up at school. My seat is right in front of hers, but no mystery ever presents itself. Nothing that seems like it should come out of a story would ever happen to me. Yet one day, on my way home after helping my childhood friend Kasuga take the first step on the road to becoming a seiyuu, I find myself randomly invited to a meal with an anime scriptwriter called Makoto-san, and suddenly I'm surrounded by all sorts of industry pros?! Thus begins a super-miraculous tale of youth, bitter yet just slightly sweet.

I wish I was joking.

The light novel industry, where creative bankruptcy really pays off!

jbug617

Banned
I think this is a teaser for the anime from the latest KnB chapter. It could also be fanart but it's pretty well done with manga and anime mixed together.
DpjMdoX.jpg

Crunchyroll picked up Ace of Diamond (Ace of the Diamond)

Ace of the Diamond is set to broadcast every Saturday starting on October 5 at 5:30 pm Pacific Time for its premium members with free users will be able to view this series one week later.

-
I think this is a teaser for the anime from the latest KnB chapter. It could also be fanart but it's pretty well done with manga and anime mixed together.

Wheres red! :(

Oh well at least theres Takao, and Kise!

Articalys

It's a bit redundant to say the title in English twice, no? Daiya no A (Ace of Diamond) is probably what you were going for. Oh, and this one doesn't have nearly as many regional restrictions as Aniplex's:
The series will be available for premium users worldwide outside of Japan, and free users in the following regions: the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Central and South America, Spain, Brazil, and Portugal.

At any rate, nice to see another simulcast with only a one-hour delay.

I was kind of wondering if they were going to save everything for AWA but I guess not.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Guys! Guys! I think I can come up with a totally accurate reproduction of a conversation between some executives in charge of the Sneaker Bunko light novel brand at Kadokawa!

Executive A: We have a problem.

Executive B: Damn right we do. Nagaru Tanigawa isn't writing any more goddamn Haruhi books!

Executive C: So what? We have a whole library of light novel series! We're not just "the Haruhi guys"!

Executive A: Yeah? What's the most popular series we've got right now that isn't Haruhi?

Executive C: Uhhhhhh... NouCome?

Executive A: I repeat: We have a problem.

Executive B: Nobody cares about us these days. It's all about those Dengeki guys. They've got all the series that people are actually reading; we've got squat.

Executive C: Okay, okay, no big deal. If we can't get Tanigawa to write more Haruhi, let's just get someone else to make a spinoff series! Easy money, right?!

Executive B: Another Haruhi spinoff? Do you have any idea how many of those we've already done?

Executive A: We're not stretching out that franchise any thinner. End of.

Executive C: Uhhhh...all right, then. If we can't get more Haruhi, we should just get someone to write us another series that's like Haruhi! Pretend it's something shiny and new, while following the exact same formula! That's a surefire recipe for success!

Executive B: Dude, the entire light novel industry has already tried that. There are uninspired Haruhi clones on every shelf of every bookstore. Making another one now isn't going to catch anyone's attention.

Executive A: Yeah, sorry, but that idea's a dead end.

Executive C: Then, uhhhhh...how about we do the opposite? Instead of making a series that's a total copy of Haruhi, but pretending it's not...we could make a series that really hasn't got anything to do with Haruhi, but make it look like it has! Put Haruhi's name in the title! Copy the Haruhi cover art style! Hell, we could even get Tanigawa to endorse it, he owes us that much!

Executive A: ...

Executive B: ...

Executive C: ...

Executive A: What the hell, it's worth a shot.

*one publishing deal later*

iboN1LU5f4QsZ0.jpg

Ore no Class ni Haruhi wa Inai
("There Is No Haruhi In My Class")

"Looks like Suzumiya Haruhi isn't going to show up today either." There's an empty seat at the back of the classroom. Rumour has it that there's a mysterious beautiful girl who never shows up at school. My seat is right in front of hers, but no mystery ever presents itself. Nothing that seems like it should come out of a story would ever happen to me. Yet one day, on my way home after helping my childhood friend Kasuga take the first step on the road to becoming a seiyuu, I find myself randomly invited to a meal with an anime scriptwriter called Makoto-san, and suddenly I'm surrounded by all sorts of industry pros?! Thus begins a super-miraculous tale of youth, bitter yet just slightly sweet.

I wish I was joking.

Wellthatsthat.jpg

Seriously, wut? This is what they came up with for a non-Tanigawa spinoff?

Tanigawa come back!!! We need you!!!

jbug617

Banned
Free! 12

It was more of a drama rather than the sport. I expected that to happen but what they did at a relay was sort of dumb because I think there would be somebody to stop that from happening.

cnet128

Banned
"my little mecha can't possibly be an imouto".

I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been done already.

Isn't that Valvrave?

Free! 12 END

Classy finale. Rei is the best as always. And despite all the swimming action, the standout bits of animation in this episode were actually the tears welling up in Haru's eyes. Seriously I don't think I've seen such shiny eyes since Chitanda Eru.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How long does it take to write a light novel.

This is what I have so far:

A gold stick cut my knee.
The thin line at the top right corner of my field of vision went down slightly. At the same the most annoying sound effect played. I'm pretty sure I complained about that in the beta. Why they didn't fix it I'll never know.
Anywho, the red line —called the “HP bar”— was a visual rendering of my "hit points". This "HP bar" was still a little over 75% left or to be more pessimistic, the HP bar" was showing I was about 25% closer to death. Oh dear.
I darted backwards before the enemy's sharp stick even began its attacking motion.
“Oh my…”
I forced a huge breath to ready my body. The computer generated avatar that represents me in this world doesn't need oxygen; but the body that this computer generated avatar represent on the other side, or to put it simply, my actual body, lying down on my bed in my underpants in the real world, would be breathing heavily. One of my limp hands would be soaked with sweat, the other was hopefully not left resting on my dick before I logged in, and my heartbeat would be off the charts.
"Of course" I say randomly for one paragraph.
Even if everything I saw right now was nothing more than a bunch of ones and zeros, and the "HP bar" which was trickling down like ketchup after you've put it back on the table was also ones and zeroes. Even if everything be ones and zeros, the fact of the matter is I was fighting for my life. My real life. The life outside of this game if I wasn't clear.
When you thought about it like that, this fight was extremely unfair. In fact the moment I get out of this sticky situation I'm going to write a very strongly worded letter to the company behind this game, but I digress. The sharp stick wielding monster in front of me —a cheeky half man half crumpet monstrosity but with a rather succulent crumbly texture— wasn't a real person, it too was just ones and zeroes. It had no brain or motives or family. Just a digital data packet that the game would replace regardless of how many times it was killed.
—This time I say "No" on a random line.
The AI (Artificial Intelligence) that controlled the Man Crumpet (that is the monster's name) was analysing my movements and enhancing its ability to respond to them with every nanosecond that passed. However, the moment that this class was destroyed, the variables would be reset and the the game will make a new class with the default values to replace it. To put it simply, it keeps re-spawning and never really adapts to my attacks.
So in a sense, at least you can just grind these creatures as the game never learns. But really, for something that is so life like that is pretty lazy, though the designers would likely claim that it's an intended feature.
“...right?”.

Worth continuing with?

Minami-ke 13

This closer was not one of the stronger episodes, but the phone segment was pretty enjoyable. I'm a fan of split-screen effects, and this used them to a hilarious degree. Also the Sensei/Ninomiya-kun finale was amusing as usual.

Overall, this was a pretty enjoyable comedy that struck a good balance between dryness and weirdness. The comic timing was on point most of the time, and the characters were fun to watch, if they're stuck in the static relationships you expect from comedies. I give it props for the good cross-dressing service. Some good faces and a few clever visual ideas kept things fairly fresh. For some reason the way this show handled the comedy reminded me of Nichijou, though I couldn't put my finger on exactly why.

The situation of this franchise is really weird; manga adaptations have sometimes got second seasons with different staff (Gunslinger Girl comes to mind), but to get four seasons all with entirely different directors at entirely different studios is incredibly unusual. Since the second and third seasons seem generally disliked while I've heard good things about the fourth, I'll be skipping ahead to Tadaima. The preview for Okawari that was attached to the end of this episode confirms that decision, as it looked quite a bit uglier.

cnet128

Banned
Minami-ke 13

This closer was not one of the stronger episodes, but the phone segment was pretty enjoyable. I'm a fan of split-screen effects, and this used them to a hilarious degree. Also the Sensei/Ninomiya-kun finale was amusing as usual.

Overall, this was a pretty enjoyable comedy that struck a good balance between dryness and weirdness. The comic timing was on point most of the time, and the characters were fun to watch, if they're stuck in the static relationships you expect from comedies. I give it props for the good cross-dressing service. Some good faces and a few clever visual ideas kept things fairly fresh. For some reason the way this show handled the comedy reminded me of Nichijou, though I couldn't put my finger on exactly why.

The situation of this franchise is really weird; manga adaptations have sometimes got second seasons with different staff (Gunslinger Girl comes to mind), but to get four seasons all with entirely different directors at entirely different studios is incredibly unusual. Since the second and third seasons seem generally disliked while I've heard good things about the fourth, I'll be skipping ahead to Tadaima. The preview for Okawari that was attached to the end of this episode confirms that decision, as it looked quite a bit uglier.

Skipping ahead?! Heresy!

Okawari isn't as bad as people make out, it's just a step down from the distinctive style of the first season. Personally I think there's plenty to like about it. I can't speak for the third and fourth seasons, since they slipped under my radar and I still haven't watched them (I should probably fix that someday), but I don't think Okawari warrants skipping outright =/

cajunator

Banned
I don't mind people posting impressions of non-Japanese animation in here, but I do personally find it a bit annoying when they "Japan-ify" the titles - it's an obfuscation even worse than MAL's monkeying around with anime titles. It's not like people do this with Japanese animation even; no one posts impressions of "Ren'ai Kenkyuushitsu".

I always found it to be fun and silly. thats the point isnt it?

Well, I'm going to have to get through this pretty quick if I want to finish it before the second season starts...

Infinite Stratos: 01

So, the first man to ever be able to pilot one of those IS frame/mech/thingies. Interesting. The only guy in an all girls school. OK. This should be fun.

Also, dude, of course your now-15-year-old childhood friend wears bras now. Are you really sheltered or something?

Par for the harem course, dear.
Just wait till you see how stupid this guy is. Its spectacular.

ok bigger

l_52413f11df260dkxh8.jpg
l_52413f0f383161sxdd.jpg

Hmmm.....I like ponytail girl. A lot.

Everyone's absolute favorite anison artist nano.RIPE is back with a short PV for upcoming Non Non Biyori OP song "Nanairo Biyori":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfqW3-RWc2k

Yeahhhh. I love me some Nano.ripe!
And no Im not joking either.

Thanks. I just woke up and saw this. Day made lol.

Minami-ke 13

You should definitely reconsider. While the second season does have way more low points than highs, it's still a really decent show with some really great character interactions. The third and fourth seasons are as good, if not better than the first so definitely do not skip Okaeri.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Steins;Gate Fuka Ryouiki no Deja Vu

That was an interesting movie. Just like the show the movie's visuals are on the bland side but it looks a tad better with more color. Characters make their return but much of the focus is on Makise and Okabe and I was perfectly fine with that. It seemed like the movie was pretty convoluted and the premise is sort of convoluted as well but it ties up the story nicely. It also calls back to something that I had pushed aside as an irrelevant moment in the original show. Using that as a basis for how things work and such is sort of cliche but at the same time it was extremely sweet. Overall, I think the movie is a nice callback to the show but at the same time it doesn't carry the same excellence that made the show awesome. It wasn't a waste of my time, I always liked Makise's interactions with Okabe, and the return to some of the cool things about the show was nice.

EDIT: Above post doesn't make sense. =D

Jintor

And I already thought that the industry had pushed that as far as they could go. They continue to surprise me!

I mean, there's nothing wrong with being influenced by what has come before, and I suppose there's nothing really wrong with existing in a world where other media properties actually exist... but the marketing behind this is... well, it's at first-glance real distasteful!

Jex

[Attack on Titan] - 24

I've noticed that a lot of people, and I am guilty of this as well, have mentioned how great this episode without really giving explaining why it's good. People watching the series don't really need to have that explained to them but for anyone who isn't watching it, or who dropped it at some point earlier, deserves some explanation about what sets this episode apart.

To set the scene it's worth pointing out that Attack on Titan is a show with very inconsistent production values. Due to some problematic production scheduling the show oscillates between having average production values punctuated by nifty 10-30 second action scenes all the way down to nothing but a series of stills and flashbacks to previous episodes. Even when the show is on top form in terms of animation that doesn't tend to stretch across more than a couple of minutes and even then the direction of the series tends to be very boring and flat. Worse yet, the pacing takes a major hit from all the extraneous scenes of people talking about nothing that are apparently present to save a bit of money because animating lip flaps is easy. I could go on about all the production shortcuts they take (background art!) but I won't - you get the picture.

Sometimes, however, an episode will raise above the general mediocrity and achieve greatness. Episode 8, episode 17 and now episode 24 have each done this. Episode 24 was directed by Akitoshi Yokoyama. In fact it wasn't only directed by him but he did the storyboard, the key animation and 2nd key animation for the episode - he really poured a lot of passion into this episode and it shows. So where does Yokoyama come from? Recently he directed Photo Kano, a series which can hardly be accused of setting the world on fire, but he's been around in the industry since the late 80's largely working in animation. From his work on this episode it's clear that action animation is one of his specialties. So, let's get on to explaining why this episode was so good.

Firstly, and this may sound a little bit odd, but things were actually animated and most of the time it was animated well e.g. it was fluid when it needed to be, it was detailed when required and it was weighty when required. All of these things are important to the series because it's very easy to have a bunch of people bouncing around on wires look weightless and when they look weightless they have no impact or power to them. This isn't the case here. Characters have a strength and impact appropriate to their role:

Moreover the animators stretch and bend the characters, exaggerating their movements to give them a sense of speed and momentum:

Distortions aren't simply used to demonstrate movement, but to exaggerate and enhance sequences where a character is displaying a certain emotion:

Fluid animation, in itself, isn't particularly interesting without interesting lines of visual movement. This episode has lots of cool looking character movements, smoke trails, and distortions that exist simply to make things appear awesome:

Animation, as I've said above, certainly isn't the be all and end all (although it's rather important for action sequences) but it can't stand on it's own without good direction. Luckily there's lots of creative camera work, unique cuts (weird dutch angles, completely inverted shots etc) and fairly solid film form. For example effective use of depth of frame:

Note how something happening in the back of the image has transitioned to the front of the image. This might not sound like it means much but it's actually important and something that a lot of directors seem to forget because it actually creates a sense of depth. The frame itself is not just a left to right 2D plane but a window into a fully 3D image. Using the depth of the frame creates a real sense of space and, when you use it in a surprising manner such as this show, it can shock the audience because it feels like something is coming out of the back of the image hurtling at top speed towards the viewer.

Pulling focus is a very common technique in traditional film making but you don't see it a lot in anime because most anime is shot as if the camera has a perfect lens that captures every single layer of an image in crystal clear detail. This isn't always a good thing, however, because having everything in focus also makes everything feel flat because it's all on the same plane. Where you pull focus onto one element of a scene not only do you emphasise that element to the viewer but you also create depth in your image which makes it feel more real.

The shows called Attack on Titan, right? So scale is important - it's us tiny humans vs those giant bastards. Yet, often, the episode directors fail to really emphasise how big the creatures are because they just assume that having them be bigger than people is enough to impress their size upon us. However it really is best to have the audience measure them up against things such as buildings etc because that's far more impressive. Also, shooting the titan from a low angle like this further emphasise how terrifying their presence is especially when the humans in the image are helpless civilians rather than trained soldiers. How badly must they be crapping themselves? Moreover, there's numerous cuts like this in the episode to further drive home the point so it's clear the director understood the power of scale and comparison.

One element that doesn't far too well in this episode, or any episode, is the quality of the background art which is usually reduced to bad cg to allow for the characters to move through the space in interesting ways. Still, when they can afford to show it off in a scene without much movement the background art can look pretty good:

Finally the detail isn't just in the animation. There's a number of shots in this episode, mainly close ups, that are packed with character and power. This shot of Mikasa looks like it's from a horror movie due to the lighting on her eye, the lighting of the scene in general, her presence looming over Eren etc:

There's also plenty of other detailed, interesting shots to be found throughout:

(Those eyebrows)

Leaving aside the visuals, which are obviously important, it's really worth nothing that the pacing of this episode isn't dog-awful. I was concerned, at first, that they were spending too much time making Eren appear to be a terrible protagonist and weak character (something which happens fairly frequently regardless) but this was all set up that actually paid off later on in the episode. I'm not used to this series having even basic set-up to pay-off scenarios happen like that in a single episode! Oh yeah, and while I'm no great lover of the soundtrack it's usage throughout was flawless.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate Fuka Ryouiki no Deja Vu

That was an interesting movie. Just like the show the movie's visuals are on the bland side but it looks a tad better with more color. Characters make their return but much of the focus is on Makise and Okabe and I was perfectly fine with that. It seemed like the movie was pretty convoluted and the premise is sort of convoluted as well but it ties up the story nicely. It also calls back to something that I had pushed aside as an irrelevant moment in the original show. Using that as a basis for how things work and such is sort of cliche but at the same time it was extremely sweet. Overall, I think the movie is a nice callback to the show but at the same time it doesn't carry the same excellence that made the show awesome. It wasn't a waste of my time, I always liked Makise's interactions with Okabe, and the return to some of the cool things about the show was nice.

EDIT: Above post doesn't make sense. =D

This movie is out? Shit I want to see it!

Watamote 12 END

Poor Mokocchi. You really do try. Hope you make friend soon k.

Isnt she so adorable though? I want to glomp her.

Joe Molotov

Lupin III Part 1 01-23 END

81aqe2L1u-L._SL500_.jpg

It got a little too family friendly after they got rid of the original director and brought Miyazaki in, but his episodes were still good too, just in a different way. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire run. I'll probably pass on Part II at least for the time being though, because it's 150 episodes and I think I've got enough Lupin for now, but I may check it out later.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Y'know, since it's the in show I may just watch the rest of AoT this weekend. Or at least a good chunk because that is 13 episodes worth.

Sword Art Online - 18

I love Suguha. Best girl. Didn't think I'd like the turn into Fairy World, but I'm actually rather enjoying it. The ending theme "Overfly" is all sorts of awesome as well. Kirito even commented on what an asshat he had been in Aincrad, which was pretty cool. Even if he was cooler in the first series.

Finding myself liking Asuna less and less by the epispde. Oh, and Suguha is gorgeous.

Symphogear G 12

NO, NO, THIS ISN'T OK. So that shitty loli who's name I can't remember was killed by a stray scythe attack from the other loli and goddess Finé had her time to shine and take over the world but noooooooooooooooooooooo she sacrifices herself so she can continue being a shit. Miyukichi's only non-flashback appearance in the show JBGOUSEBHARGHEIUFVBJADF BERBH.

This show really angers up the blood sometimes! If this didn't have Sugita hamming it up this would have been dropped a while ago.

Soma

Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen Episode 06

I really hope the show ends with Jun punching his manager in the face at some point.

Also, the music is pretty great. It's usually quite subtle yet manages to accentuate the somber mood that seems to be consistently present in the show. The very lovely ending song from Annabel is much appreciated as well.

Chronoexe

Sword Art Online - 18

I love Suguha. Best girl. Didn't think I'd like the turn into Fairy World, but I'm actually rather enjoying it. The ending theme "Overfly" is all sorts of awesome as well. Kirito even commented on what an asshat he had been in Aincrad, which was pretty cool. Even if he was cooler in the first series.

Finding myself liking Asuna less and less by the epispde. Oh, and Suguha is gorgeous.

Finally someone else in Suguha team, and yes the ending theme is awesome.

Dont worry, you will like Asuna again if Mother's Rosario is animated someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom