• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
I don't mind people posting impressions of non-Japanese animation in here, but I do personally find it a bit annoying when they "Japan-ify" the titles - it's an obfuscation even worse than MAL's monkeying around with anime titles. It's not like people do this with Japanese animation even; no one posts impressions of "Ren'ai Kenkyuushitsu".

Psch, half of Theonik's Love Lab impressions have been titled "Rabu Rabu". Which isn't even a proper romanisation of the actual Japanese title (Rabu Rabo), so I think that counts as wanton Japanisation of a series that's already Japanese =p

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
From the Media Create thread:

02./00. [PSV] Yahari Game Demo Ore no Seishun Love-Kome Hamachi Gatteiru. # <ADV> (5pb.) {2013.09.19} (¥7.140) - 16.469 / NEW

The Oregairu Vita game came bundled with a new anime OVA episode, so the sales numbers are worth mentioning here.
As a reminder, average BD+DVD sales for the three anime volumes so far are about 11,000.

edit: I mean, it's not like there were people who bought the game only for the OVA... okay, maybe a small handful did, but probably not the majority. Still, as an OVA bundled with a game, it sort of counts as anime sales. I mean, if the G4U releases did... then again, those weren't really full "games"...

Fucking yessssssss.

Chronoexe

ok bigger

l_52413f11df260dkxh8.jpg

Yep, absurdly large pony tail is best girl.

for now.

Soma

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen Episode 01

Ah that wasn't so bad.

I don't really care about dolls or lolita fashion but I'm a sucker for good atmosphere which AnimeGAF tells me this has quite a bit of. As I've never looked into this series before, the first episode seemed to recap the previous events of the story well enough. Wasn't nearly as messy as I expected and the plot seems simple enough to grasp. It's certainly a bit darker than I was expecting, which isn't a bad thing at all for me. Gonna try to speed through this show and other summer series before the fall thread starts up.

Also, now I finally know where that whole "desu" meme sprouted from.

Well, I'm going to have to get through this pretty quick if I want to finish it before the second season starts...

Infinite Stratos: 01

So, the first man to ever be able to pilot one of those IS frame/mech/thingies. Interesting. The only guy in an all girls school. OK. This should be fun.

Also, dude, of course your now-15-year-old childhood friend wears bras now. Are you really sheltered or something?
I'm pretty sure that is a harem character requirement to react like that.

Hunter x Hunter
Mushibugyo
Arata The Legend
Code Breaker
Medaka Box
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyobu Kyosuke

Arata ? shonen with cool action ? We must not have seen the same anime.

Can you guys recommend me a good violent shonen series with cool action in it?

Hunter x Hunter
Soul Eater
Mushibugyo
Toriko
Buso Renkin
Claymore
D.Gray Man
Deadman Wonderland
Flame of Recca
Ga-Rei Zero
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Medaka Box Abnormal
Needless (seinen, but same formula and good)
Tokyo Esp (when it starts)
Yozakura Quartet (hold out for the reboot)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited

cnet128

Banned
Guys! Guys! I think I can come up with a totally accurate reproduction of a conversation between some executives in charge of the Sneaker Bunko light novel brand at Kadokawa!

Executive A: We have a problem.

Executive B: Damn right we do. Nagaru Tanigawa isn't writing any more goddamn Haruhi books!

Executive C: So what? We have a whole library of light novel series! We're not just "the Haruhi guys"!

Executive A: Yeah? What's the most popular series we've got right now that isn't Haruhi?

Executive C: Uhhhhhh... NouCome?

Executive A: I repeat: We have a problem.

Executive B: Nobody cares about us these days. It's all about those Dengeki guys. They've got all the series that people are actually reading; we've got squat.

Executive C: Okay, okay, no big deal. If we can't get Tanigawa to write more Haruhi, let's just get someone else to make a spinoff series! Easy money, right?!

Executive B: Another Haruhi spinoff? Do you have any idea how many of those we've already done?

Executive A: We're not stretching out that franchise any thinner. End of.

Executive C: Uhhhh...all right, then. If we can't get more Haruhi, we should just get someone to write us another series that's like Haruhi! Pretend it's something shiny and new, while following the exact same formula! That's a surefire recipe for success!

Executive B: Dude, the entire light novel industry has already tried that. There are uninspired Haruhi clones on every shelf of every bookstore. Making another one now isn't going to catch anyone's attention.

Executive A: Yeah, sorry, but that idea's a dead end.

Executive C: Then, uhhhhh...how about we do the opposite? Instead of making a series that's a total copy of Haruhi, but pretending it's not...we could make a series that really hasn't got anything to do with Haruhi, but make it look like it has! Put Haruhi's name in the title! Copy the Haruhi cover art style! Hell, we could even get Tanigawa to endorse it, he owes us that much!

Executive A: ...

Executive B: ...

Executive C: ...

Executive A: What the hell, it's worth a shot.

*one publishing deal later*

iboN1LU5f4QsZ0.jpg

Ore no Class ni Haruhi wa Inai
("There Is No Haruhi In My Class")

"Looks like Suzumiya Haruhi isn't going to show up today either." There's an empty seat at the back of the classroom. Rumour has it that there's a mysterious beautiful girl who never shows up at school. My seat is right in front of hers, but no mystery ever presents itself. Nothing that seems like it should come out of a story would ever happen to me. Yet one day, on my way home after helping my childhood friend Kasuga take the first step on the road to becoming a seiyuu, I find myself randomly invited to a meal with an anime scriptwriter called Makoto-san, and suddenly I'm surrounded by all sorts of industry pros?! Thus begins a super-miraculous tale of youth, bitter yet just slightly sweet.

I wish I was joking.

Jex

"Looks like Suzumiya Haruhi isn't going to show up today either." There's an empty seat at the back of the classroom. Rumour has it that there's a mysterious beautiful girl who never shows up at school. My seat is right in front of hers, but no mystery ever presents itself. Nothing that seems like it should come out of a story would ever happen to me. Yet one day, on my way home after helping my childhood friend Kasuga take the first step on the road to becoming a seiyuu, I find myself randomly invited to a meal with an anime scriptwriter called Makoto-san, and suddenly I'm surrounded by all sorts of industry pros?! Thus begins a super-miraculous tale of youth, bitter yet just slightly sweet.

I wish I was joking.

Can't wait for the anime adaptation by Joyoto Animation.

Articalys

To be fair, the series page says it's meant to commemorate both the 25th anniversary of Sneaker Bunko and the 10th anniversary of Haruhi, so its creation is probably not quite as crazy as imagined, but it certainly is trying to... well, leverage their brand, I suppose.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 5

Motto! continues its grand shake up of the cast from the moment it split everyone off from each other, that the SOS Trio is no more since the two that stuck together found a new member, so Sugiyama gained another partner to form a duo.... and it doesn't go well.

Momoko and her english pride helps them because she understands them. Now I understand her, I love me some slap stick too, but she pretty much gained a trait from Hazuki from laughing at bad jokes... well bad slapstick jokes. Guess there will be much competing for attention here, even if Sugiyama's partner already does that since he's smart and good at basketball.

Unrelated: loved how Doremi was slowing down with Onpu when she was talking about her job. Pears!

Tenumi

Banned
As I'm catching up on Railgun S, I still can't see how anybody actually likes Accelerator. He's such a disgusting monster of a person.

As I'm catching up on Railgun S, I still can't see how anybody actually likes Accelerator. He's such a disgusting monster of a person.

I actually think Accelerator is almost the only decent character in the series. He actually gets some character development between the seasons.

Peco

Code Breaker is good fun.

I second the Code:Breaker recommendation.

Either Fullmetal Alchemist series.

Hunter x Hunter
Mushibugyo
Arata The Legend
Code Breaker
Medaka Box
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyobu Kyosuke

Hunter X Hunter is all you need.
If you want more afterward go with Toriko.

No offense DTL but whatever you do stay away from Arata.

Hunter x Hunter
Soul Eater
Mushibugyo
Toriko
Buso Renkin
Claymore
D.Gray Man
Deadman Wonderland
Flame of Recca
Ga-Rei Zero
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Medaka Box Abnormal
Needless (seinen, but same formula and good)
Tokyo Esp (when it starts)
Yozakura Quartet (hold out for the reboot)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited

Hunter x Hunter and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Ignore everything else.

Thank you.

Conan-san

Before Railgun the choice was him or Thouma and Thouma's only personality trait was "YOUR USING MAGIC/SCIENCE, HULK HATE PUNY SCIENCE/MAGIC, HULK SMASH!"

Guys! Guys! I think I can come up with a totally accurate reproduction of a conversation between some executives in charge of the Sneaker Bunko light novel brand at Kadokawa!

Executive A: We have a problem.

Executive B: Damn right we do. Nagaru Tanigawa isn't writing any more goddamn Haruhi books!

Executive C: So what? We have a whole library of light novel series! We're not just "the Haruhi guys"!

Executive A: Yeah? What's the most popular series we've got right now that isn't Haruhi?

Executive C: Uhhhhhh... NouCome?

Executive A: I repeat: We have a problem.

Executive B: Nobody cares about us these days. It's all about those Dengeki guys. They've got all the series that people are actually reading; we've got squat.

Executive C: Okay, okay, no big deal. If we can't get Tanigawa to write more Haruhi, let's just get someone else to make a spinoff series! Easy money, right?!

Executive B: Another Haruhi spinoff? Do you have any idea how many of those we've already done?

Executive A: We're not stretching out that franchise any thinner. End of.

Executive C: Uhhhh...all right, then. If we can't get more Haruhi, we should just get someone to write us another series that's like Haruhi! Pretend it's something shiny and new, while following the exact same formula! That's a surefire recipe for success!

Executive B: Dude, the entire light novel industry has already tried that. There are uninspired Haruhi clones on every shelf of every bookstore. Making another one now isn't going to catch anyone's attention.

Executive A: Yeah, sorry, but that idea's a dead end.

Executive C: Then, uhhhhh...how about we do the opposite? Instead of making a series that's a total copy of Haruhi, but pretending it's not...we could make a series that really hasn't got anything to do with Haruhi, but make it look like it has! Put Haruhi's name in the title! Copy the Haruhi cover art style! Hell, we could even get Tanigawa to endorse it, he owes us that much!

Executive A: ...

Executive B: ...

Executive C: ...

Executive A: What the hell, it's worth a shot.

*one publishing deal later*

iboN1LU5f4QsZ0.jpg

I wish I was joking.

Damn that talk seem pretty accurate..
and i say that since i'm waiting ( like everyone else ) for haruhi vol 11

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I don't mind people posting impressions of non-Japanese animation in here, but I do personally find it a bit annoying when they "Japan-ify" the titles - it's an obfuscation even worse than MAL's monkeying around with anime titles. It's not like people do this with Japanese animation even; no one posts impressions of "Ren'ai Kenkyuushitsu".
But it's funny... and that's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom