• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Cutie Honey is a tooooooon of fun. I need to give that another watch.

Also, those Kill la Kill scans fill me with secret sauce.

Of awesome.

*Crawls back to the shadows of FFXIV*

Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki
So pretty awesome movie. Much better than I expected. JC Staff really pulled it off past my expectations. An Interesting Story Arc, Amazing music, all my favorite characters having tons of air time and plenty of badass scenes.

I liked it :)

Quasar

Watched the latest Ah My Goddess special. Really disappointing I'd say, doubly so given how infrequent these things are. I wanted I guess another chapter in the main story, instead I got a throwaway about Belldandy and crew granting the wishes of some other random person who called/was granted a wish.

Happy Birthday to KillerMan91 and ZetaEpyon.

Happy Belated Birthday's to wonzo and dakkumauji.

And all in all I ended up missing KillerMan91 & dakkumauji ones. Happy Birthday to both!

So many birthdays in september, have good ones all.

Happy birthday to everyone. You have gained another 365 days from the point in time in which you were ejected screaming from another human being's body. May you be blessed by the presence of the birthday skeleton.

Would have never guessed that gaffers will congratulate me. You are one friendly bunch animeGAF. =P

Thank you very much.

Goddamn I have terrible hangover....

-Minsc-

Genshiken Nidaime - 10

As they say, it's always better to get things out in the open. Though in real life things may not always go so smoothly.

+10 for Gintama cosplay. :D

Genshiken-9-c.png

Yaoishiken 10

Well, crossdressing yaoicest is certainly a new one. lol
I really wonder if Genshiken TNG has managed to alienate any old fans of the original or if male otaku are able to identify with fujyoshi and BL obsessions. I suppose the fact that an anime exists means it sells well, but maybe to a new audience instead of the old one?

I may not be able to relate to the characters as I could in the first series but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the series. Nidaime has been highly entertaining in its own way. No doubt it turned many fans away but that is to be expected. Thankfully I'm not so close minded that I don't accept change.

edit:

I know the recasting of voices alienated some folks. I know it took me ages to kind of get over that. Still don't like that.

As for the subject matter...well my impression was that its just like the manga, so I imagine not. Or at least not to any great degree.

it does take a bit to get used to but hey, it is what it is. After a few episodes that became a non-issue. I guess I can be good at just letting things be.

Quasar

Well, crossdressing yaoicest is certainly a new one. lol
I really wonder if Genshiken TNG has managed to alienate any old fans of the original or if male otaku are able to identify with fujyoshi and BL obsessions. I suppose the fact that an anime exists means it sells well, but maybe to a new audience instead of the old one?

I know the recasting of voices alienated some folks. I know it took me ages to kind of get over that. Still don't like that.

As for the subject matter...well my impression was that its just like the manga, so I imagine not. Or at least not to any great degree.

Theonik

Kiniro Mosaic 10
iwa528Tn4epPn.png

:firehawk
More Ayaya, and Alice cute. Pretty standard at this point. It was also nice to see Yoko's fuwafuwa family.
More teacher moe to be had also. 2 more episodes :(

Jex

Sawano doing the soundtrack is the only bad news here. Should have been Iwasaki.

Sawano has managed to get his grubby hands into a number of works recently. duckroll, you have to do something to take of this before it gets out of hand!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's actually gonna end on a very good point.
Though I guess it's not as good if you're just watching the cartoon (since I believe it skipped a whole bunch of the comic).
I am up to date on the manga. I don't really know what you could be referring to. There are three episodes left for Genshiken Nidaime and there are no good stopping points within the remaining unadapted manga. (maybe manga spoilers or something, who cares though)
Right now in the manga things are pretty much unchanged. If anything there is more turmoil and uncertainty regarding both Hato as a person, and the same goes for Madrame's relationships within the club. There is an entire extra Comifest plus stuff before that, and even reaching the point of where the manga is will yield no results. To me there isn't really even a climax within the content they have left to adapt, but on top of that there's also no resolution to the characters currently in the spotlight.
Genshiken is not the type of series that really needs to "end".
Genshiken has very deliberate arcs and a solid grasp on the passage of time with characters evolving as they grow together and apart. Nidaime has been pretty bad when it comes to this stuff because it's mostly caught up in a "will they/won't they" situation that has begun to drag out eternally.

Conan-san

Heartcatch Precure (reair) 3
I wonder how hard it would be to just make a supercut of every funny expression change that's in this series.

Westlo

Wait what you guys don't like Sawano what the.....I don't even his guilty crown composition was awesome.

Soul Link 2006 - Aint heard it.
Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na: Crescent Love 2006 - Aint heard it.
Kishin Taisen Gigantic Formula 2007 - Avg with a few good tracks.
Zombie-Loan 2007 - Main theme is nice but rest is avg.
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings 2009 - Good, but nothing special.
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 2010 - quality with a capital Q, His best work.
Sengoku Basara II 2010 - Same level as the previous series.
Blue Exorcist 2011 - Awesome effort, his second best work by a mile.
Sengoku Basara: The Last Party 2011 - Prob better than the tv stuff.
Guilty Crown 2011 - I gotta show everyone else that I can make vocal songs like Ryo!
Blue Exorcist Movie 2012 - A step down from the tv series.
Attack on Titan - Outside of a few good moments, meh.

Iwasaki da gawd was robbed.

Jarmel

Banned
Shingeki 22-

This was a very poorly directed episode. It wasn't put together that well, as the composition of scenes kinda screw with the flow of the episode, and the action scene was somewhat anticlimatic. This episode also confirms my issue with Sawano. It's that I wouldn't mind Sawano doing a few songs on an OST but he shouldn't be allowed to do the full thing.

Oh and this:

If the last few episodes have taught me anything it's that when people use maneuver gear in a forest all you have to do is fire it once and then you can simply float forward forever on a nearly invisible thread allowing you to have lengthy conversations about whatever happens to be on your mind.

Yea, I noticed this too and it's blatant as fuck. They don't give any shit whatsoever about even trying to display how the tech or physics in general work. They might as well be using jetpacks for fucks sake.

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 01

Note to young girls: Don't follow glittery butterflies down alleyways. You might get turned into a magical girl as a result.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I may not be able to relate to the characters as I could in the first series but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the series. Nidaime has been highly entertaining in its own way. No doubt it turned many fans away but that is to be expected. Thankfully I'm not so close minded that I don't accept change.

edit:

it does take a bit to get used to but hey, it is what it is. After a few episodes that became a non-issue. I guess I can be good at just letting things be.

I'm still salty about Madarame, because he is basically a main character and his voice is so specific (I feel bad that I don't remember what Ogiue sounded like, but that's just how memorable the nerdy Madarame voice was I suppose).

I'll be curious to see how well the series sells in Japan. I know for the manga, they did the stupid retailer exclusive stuff for the first volume a couple of years ago, so I assume that does well. Male nerds seem to be okay with being represented as sadlifes (well, enough to get two seasons, an OAV and a spinoff anyway), so I guess it might follow that female nerds would like to see themselves on screen anyway.

Either that, or it's male nerds laughing at female nerds and their obsession with yaoi. :p
I dunno. I do love that the one male main character who is essentially the "Sasahara" of the new show/book is fairly unrelatable to the typical otaku audience though. (Even if the ghost of yaoi is a silly personification of Hato's desires).

All that said, with what is happening in the manga... I feel like there's really only one thing they can do without completely betraying the old manga.

cnet128

Banned
Both questions are ticked so she actually got it right!

Check mark means "wrong" in Japan. Correct answers are marked with a circle.

karen still the best

Sorry, but she is the most annoying.

I didn't like Karen much when she was first introduced. Felt like she was kind of obnoxious and unnecessary when Alice already had the foreigner angle covered in a much more adorable way. She won me over in the end with her sheer genki-ness, though. Karen is not the best, but she's certainly up there.

Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 01

Note to young girls: Don't follow glittery butterflies down alleyways. You might get turned into a magical girl as a result.

You make this sound like it's a bad thing. And she got to meet the guy of her dreams into the bargain. I think this works better as an argument for following glittery butterflies down alleyways rather than against.

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 02

I must say, Yes! is handling the addition of new cures better than its closest counterpart, Smile, did.

Also, this is starting to make me think, they've gotta run out of usable names for Precure sometime....

I must say, Yes! is handling the addition of new cures better than its closest counterpart, Smile, did.

Also, this is starting to make me think, they've gotta run out of usable names for Precure sometime....

To be fair, Smile has the shittiest introduction arc in the entire series.

.....although I would say Doki Doki is around there for making them better than what they'll end up down the road.

cnet128

Banned

Yes! Precure 5 contains the most blatant proof of all that the wellspring of Cure names can never be exhausted, though. Because they can use whatever the fuck random words they feel like.

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime - 10

As they say, it's always better to get things out in the open. Though in real life things may not always go so smoothly.

+10 for Gintama cosplay. :D

Genshiken-9-c.png

edit:

I havent had much issue adjusting, although I was also turned off by the voice changes at the beginning. But eventually the overall quality and humor of the new show won me over.

Soul Link 2006 - Aint heard it.
Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na: Crescent Love 2006 - Aint heard it.
Kishin Taisen Gigantic Formula 2007 - Avg with a few good tracks.
Zombie-Loan 2007 - Main theme is nice but rest is avg.
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings 2009 - Good, but nothing special.
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 2010 - quality with a capital Q, His best work.
Sengoku Basara II 2010 - Same level as the previous series.
Blue Exorcist 2011 - Awesome effort, his second best work by a mile.
Sengoku Basara: The Last Party 2011 - Prob better than the tv stuff.
Guilty Crown 2011 - I gotta show everyone else that I can make vocal songs like Ryo!
Blue Exorcist Movie 2012 - A step down from the tv series.
Attack on Titan - Outside of a few good moments, meh.

Iwasaki da gawd was robbed.

What would you consider Iwasaki's best pieces, let me hear them.

Pachael

-monogatari 39

Not for the first time in this series have I felt that the episodes needed a few more minutes to let the viewer 'breathe' and absorb what was happening plot-wise.

Route A: What we got. Route X: Kizu was released in 2012 :/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
-monogatari 39

Not for the first time in this series have I felt that the episodes needed a few more minutes to let the viewer 'breathe' and absorb what was happening plot-wise.

Route A: What we got. Route X: Kizu was released in 2012 :/

If you had the time to stop and think about it you'd realize it was trash.

Hunter x Hunter 95
tumblr_mstc0235ub1qizslmo9_250.gif

Well it had its moments though kind of also felt like we were just riding the clock of sorts.
shocked were approaching the final battle so soon, I guess the next arc is starting when fall season rolls around? Im just glad for more Phantom Troupe, hope Feitan does good stuff this time. Underrated

Favorite moment of this episode when Gon did Janken (looked great) was
Killua stepping in, was so unexpected and really good. I thought Gon would really go through with it but Killua with that Gon sense and able to read things. Nice.

R.I.P

Space Brothers 72

Ugh, another cliffhanger. Really wanted to see what Mutta and The Ghostbusters will do about the rover.

Monogatari S2 8-9

This turned out to be a very interesting arc, though not having read (or seen) Kizumonogatari definitely lessened the impact of the Koyomi/Shinobu scenes. It was great to
finally (kinda) see Oshino again, awesome how he was able to figure out Koyomi's every action.
Overall this was another good arc, though Mayoi had surprisingly little screen time.

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 contains the most blatant proof of all that the wellspring of Cure names can never be exhausted, though. Because they can use whatever the fuck random words they feel like.

I'm starrting to see that, with Dream, Rouge, and now....

Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 03

Cure Lemonade. Nice character and all, but Lemonade? Also, Coco teacher is the best, abandoning his class like that.

/XX/

The hard core of UTENA art-book is now available online at the newly launched ANIMESTYLE ONLINE SHOP:

少女革命ウテナ画集 The hard core of UTENA | アニメスタイル ONLINE SHOP
http://animestyle.jp/shop/archives/10

I thought at the time this... 'mighty' heavy product would be an exclusive purchase for attendees willing to appear at their C84 booth, so this further availability is a nice surprise.

So glam... love it!

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 04

One more to collect. Dream, Rouge, Lemonade, and now Mint. The wristwatch transformation devices are a nice change from the phones of... like, half the seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom